Peacock it is!

Creiz
1/5/2021 8:09am
So they don´t like their foreign fans, and don´t care that we have to pay insane amounts just to watch? Seems like I´ll be watching my racing via "other means". Paid for the full pack last year, but this is just sad.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
1/5/2021 8:10am
DC wrote:
I really don't know the network answer to that, but the TV landscape as a whole is changing rapidly, as most kids only watch TV on...
I really don't know the network answer to that, but the TV landscape as a whole is changing rapidly, as most kids only watch TV on their devices now, a lot of people are "cord cutters" and everyone is getting into the streaming business, as that's where new customers are. I know that in my household, about the only thing we watch on live TV is sports; everything else (sit-coms, movies, series) we watch whenever we want to on demand. NBC had a real awakening with NBC Sports Gold streaming the Olympics, and I think Peacock is the next step in that evolution.

No one wants to lose viewers, that's for sure, and with less and less people watching network TV, this seems like a logical transition for NBC, and I am sure we will see other networks heading this way as well, like ESPN+

DC
Racer X
DC, what's the plan for the MX series and international viewers?

Right now it looks like we're all SOL.
Creiz
1/5/2021 8:11am
Are they actually so old school they don´t know you don´t have to pay for shipping on online videos? Is that the reason maybe?
STLSharky
1/5/2021 8:53am
DonM wrote:
SX is commercial free with premium....now if you want to watch The office commercial free then by all means purchase the plus at $9.95 but for...
SX is commercial free with premium....now if you want to watch The office commercial free then by all means purchase the plus at $9.95 but for SX and MX there is no need.
Is MX commercial free with the $4.95 plan, too?
DonM wrote:
Yes....from the press release

“Peacock Premium to Feature Extensive Live and Commercial-Free Coverage of Supercross and Pro Motocross 2021 Seasons”
nope, it says in fine print due to streaming rules some ad content will appear

The Shop

STLSharky
1/5/2021 8:56am
RaceFan wrote:
Stupid question, hopefully not covered in the previous 3 pages, is Peacock an app available in the US app store? edit to clarify: I know what...
Stupid question, hopefully not covered in the previous 3 pages, is Peacock an app available in the US app store?
edit to clarify: I know what Peacock is, just not sure if they have an app like the NBC Sports one.
Layton wrote:
They have an app for a iPhone for sure. On my laptop I’ve just been going to the website. Both seem to work. I’m curious about...
They have an app for a iPhone for sure.

On my laptop I’ve just been going to the website. Both seem to work.

I’m curious about the advertisements during the races? I wonder if they will coincide with the regular broadcast advertisements or just show up anywhere during the broadcast.

When you watch a show on the free version the show just stops, the ad plays, and the show restarts. They are not very long, maybe a minute and a couple of times in a half hour show.
I’d sure hate to have that happen right in the middle of a good battle.
If it’s during the normal commercial time then it wouldn’t be a big deal. In fact maybe that is what we will see, the normal commercials??
Does anyone actually READ the press release or half the replies in this thread? THERE ARE NO ADS DURING THE RACES. You aren't getting the races...
Does anyone actually READ the press release or half the replies in this thread?
THERE ARE NO ADS DURING THE RACES. You aren't getting the races for free. Either pay for Peacock or pay for TV service.
People will complain about everything. Time slots. Different channels for the nationals. It goes on and on.
Is it perfect? Nope. Is it better than what we had? So far, yeah, cost wise.
We'll see how the quality is, because NBC Gold did have issues, but so does most everything.
go read it again yourself says some ads will still happen no matter WHAT!
DonM
1/5/2021 9:11am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2021 9:13am
Is MX commercial free with the $4.95 plan, too?
DonM wrote:
Yes....from the press release

“Peacock Premium to Feature Extensive Live and Commercial-Free Coverage of Supercross and Pro Motocross 2021 Seasons”
STLSharky wrote:
nope, it says in fine print due to streaming rules some ad content will appear
It says that on the plus disclaimer because they do promos occasionally for their own programming on plus... “ *Due to streaming rights, a small amount of programming will still contain ads (Peacock channels, events and a few shows and movies)”... press release from Feld says commercial free...It will be like it was on the Gold app, but hey if you want to spend the extra money to be sure go for it...
G-man
1/5/2021 9:12am
mxaaron wrote:
Pretty sure us users of Amazon Fire Sticks are corn holed. Great I get to watch SX all season on an Android phone. SMH.
WTF!!!!

I'm old and not real savvy to all the Streaming this and that BS! Angry

It was a HUGE step for me to buy an Amazon Fire stick last year for SX and the Nationals.
Turned out to not be that hard to use and a few things to get use to.

So now your telling my Amazon fire stick is no good and I will have to do something else to watch supercross and can you combine it with Outdoors for a deal?

I don't have time nor do I understand all the verbiage in this thread.
Thanks
1/5/2021 9:13am
Layton wrote:
They have an app for a iPhone for sure. On my laptop I’ve just been going to the website. Both seem to work. I’m curious about...
They have an app for a iPhone for sure.

On my laptop I’ve just been going to the website. Both seem to work.

I’m curious about the advertisements during the races? I wonder if they will coincide with the regular broadcast advertisements or just show up anywhere during the broadcast.

When you watch a show on the free version the show just stops, the ad plays, and the show restarts. They are not very long, maybe a minute and a couple of times in a half hour show.
I’d sure hate to have that happen right in the middle of a good battle.
If it’s during the normal commercial time then it wouldn’t be a big deal. In fact maybe that is what we will see, the normal commercials??
Does anyone actually READ the press release or half the replies in this thread? THERE ARE NO ADS DURING THE RACES. You aren't getting the races...
THERE ARE NO ADS DURING THE RACES. You aren't getting the races for free. Either pay for Peacock or pay for TV service.
People will complain about everything. Time slots. Different channels for the nationals. It goes on and on.
We'll see how the quality is, because NBC Gold did have issues, but so does most everything.
STLSharky wrote:
Yep, it sure does say that. Know what else if CLEARLY states in the press release? The races won't have ads.
Weird how they state that SPECIFICALLY, yet a few of you can't separate "some content" and "no ads in the race stream"
I just don't get the lack of comprehension on that.
boothead379
1/5/2021 9:19am
Just read all 5 pages and still have the question. If I purchase peacock premium, will I be able to watch the motos(sx or mx) on Sunday or Monday after the race on Saturday. ? I work those hours and will not be able to view the races live.
VicDaMoan03
1/5/2021 9:19am
G-man wrote:
WTF!!!! I'm old and not real savvy to all the Streaming this and that BS! :angry: It was a HUGE step for me to buy an...
WTF!!!!

It was a HUGE step for me to buy an Amazon Fire stick last year for SX and the Nationals.

So now your telling my Amazon fire stick is no good and I will have to do something else to watch supercross and can you combine it with Outdoors for a deal?

Thanks
Dude chill out and watch the video how to side load Peacock on a firestick. That or buy a Roku, they are not that expensive about $40 like the firestick.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
1/5/2021 9:21am
Sounds like maybe there will be commercials with premium but they won’t be during a race. In other words, they’ll still cut to commercial but those will be done in between races like they’ve been doing for a while now rather that cutting away mid race like the old days.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
1/5/2021 9:23am
Just read all 5 pages and still have the question. If I purchase peacock premium, will I be able to watch the motos(sx or mx) on...
Just read all 5 pages and still have the question. If I purchase peacock premium, will I be able to watch the motos(sx or mx) on Sunday or Monday after the race on Saturday. ? I work those hours and will not be able to view the races live.
Nobody knows but I would imagine so. They’re doing a free 7 day trial so just sign up at the end of next week. Check to see if it is there Monday and, if not, cancel.
DonM
1/5/2021 9:38am
Just read all 5 pages and still have the question. If I purchase peacock premium, will I be able to watch the motos(sx or mx) on...
The races will be available On Demand...the timing of the On Demand will more than likely be like it was on gold
toroP
1/5/2021 9:40am
GrapeApe wrote:
I'm so beaten down by this transition from bundled cable to a hundred different streaming platforms. It was fun at first, now it's pretty apparent we'll...
I'm so beaten down by this transition from bundled cable to a hundred different streaming platforms. It was fun at first, now it's pretty apparent we'll all be spending more than the ridiculous monthly cable prices.
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
You are exactly right. Came to that conclusion this weekend. Peacock is coming on for SX, so one of the other 5 streaming services has to...
You are exactly right. Came to that conclusion this weekend. Peacock is coming on for SX, so one of the other 5 streaming services has to go.
GrapeApe wrote:
I have a wife and two daughters and our viewing is quite diverse. I feel like I'm being asked to subscribe to some different streaming service...
I have a wife and two daughters and our viewing is quite diverse. I feel like I'm being asked to subscribe to some different streaming service every day. Today was Discovery+, WTF is that? lol
Everyone will will dump cable and satellite, then end up paying more This+ and That+.
I imagine, in the end, local channels will align with different streaming packages, and more comprehensive packages, like YouTube TV, will be killed off like cable.
We’ll need three or four different apps just to watch NFL.
SEE ARE125
1/5/2021 9:49am
STLSharky wrote:
Yep, it sure does say that. Know what else if CLEARLY states in the press release? The races won't have ads. Weird how they state that...
Yep, it sure does say that. Know what else if CLEARLY states in the press release? The races won't have ads.
Weird how they state that SPECIFICALLY, yet a few of you can't separate "some content" and "no ads in the race stream"
The thing is Feld/Supercross Live wrote that press release, not NBC. NBC’s site contradicts Feld’s press release. I’m hoping you’re right, and would love to see confirmation from NBC, but we can’t discount that there may have been some miscommunication between NBC and Feld in that it is offered ad free, but only with the Premium Plus plan. The contradiction is the cause of confusion. I’ve already got Peacock, if the first round has ads, I guess I’ll upgrade to the Premium Plus Gold Prime+ Select plan.

1/5/2021 10:01am
STLSharky wrote:
Yep, it sure does say that. Know what else if CLEARLY states in the press release? The races won't have ads. Weird how they state that...
SEE ARE125 wrote:
The thing is Feld/Supercross Live wrote that press release, not NBC. NBC’s site contradicts Feld’s press release. I’m hoping you’re right, and would love to see...
The thing is Feld/Supercross Live wrote that press release, not NBC. NBC’s site contradicts Feld’s press release. I’m hoping you’re right, and would love to see confirmation from NBC, but we can’t discount that there may have been some miscommunication between NBC and Feld in that it is offered ad free, but only with the Premium Plus plan. The contradiction is the cause of confusion. I’ve already got Peacock, if the first round has ads, I guess I’ll upgrade to the Premium Plus Gold Prime+ Select plan.

Valid point and a reasonable observation. Very different from the others who go full-complaint mode by default.
I'll be doing the same as you as far as the streaming plan goes, and while I'd rather pay $4.99, I won't cry and moan about $9.99 if that's what I have to do.
Layton
1/5/2021 10:16am
STLSharky wrote:
And you are right.

It just seems weird that they would show SX commercial free and yet show commercials on the regular shows on the same $ platform.
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/5/2021 10:18am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
The thing is Feld/Supercross Live wrote that press release, not NBC. NBC’s site contradicts Feld’s press release. I’m hoping you’re right, and would love to see...

Theres a 7 day free trial. Use it to watch the first race and see what the commercial situation is, then decide how you want to subscribe.
LKHill
1/5/2021 11:12am
If Feld singed the contract and doesn't know the terms that's not saying much for Feld. That's all I got for now.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
1/5/2021 11:19am
rucka356 wrote:
What would it take to get archived races on YouTube? seems like the simplest solution for older races right?
Somebody (DC or Matthes - maybe both?) has talked about this before. I think the old SX races are in a strange place for broadcasting rights. ESPN, Speed and FOX have all broadcast in the past. But NBC owns it now. So it may be unclear who owns the old stuff. So nobody wants to fight for it to bother putting it on YouTube.

It's unfortunate.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
1/5/2021 11:27am
bigjam wrote:
Can we please make all smart tv’s support all these new apps now I need to buy a roku or hook the laptop up to stream...
Can we please make all smart tv’s support all these new apps now I need to buy a roku or hook the laptop up to stream the service I paid for... I mean it’s ridiculous
That would be nice.

But I think there are two issues:

1) Each manufacturer and content provider wants their piece of the pie, so they all have to negotiate about which products are available on each hardware.

2) There is probably a technology aspect as well. I had a Fire TV that had the old HBO GO on it. But it was "unable" to get HBO Max, so I had to buy a new Fire TV to get HBO Max. I don't know if that was an actual technology problem, or if Fire TV just chose not to allow HBO Max on it, so that they could force me to buy a new piece of hardware.

We are in early days of cord cutting and streaming services. I bet some of these services won't survive, and there will be companies purchasing other companies, and some of this will get consolidated. But it will be bumpy and frustrating for a couple more years (at least).
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
1/5/2021 11:32am
mxaaron wrote:
Pretty sure us users of Amazon Fire Sticks are corn holed. Great I get to watch SX all season on an Android phone. SMH.
G-man wrote:
WTF!!!! I'm old and not real savvy to all the Streaming this and that BS! :angry: It was a HUGE step for me to buy an...
WTF!!!!

Thanks
Buy a Roku. They are under $30.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
679th
1/5/2021 11:34am
Soooo I'll ask the obvious. Will NBC SN on "regular TV" still carry supercross with ads?
Not that $5 or $10 a month is a problem, but if the only difference is that without ads the camera is pointed at the sky (like last year) during the commercial break, I think I'd just stay with my YoutubeTV which will record online if I want.
DonM
1/5/2021 11:39am
KurtJ99 wrote:
Soooo I'll ask the obvious. Will NBC SN on "regular TV" still carry supercross with ads? Not that $5 or $10 a month is a problem...
Soooo I'll ask the obvious. Will NBC SN on "regular TV" still carry supercross with ads?
Not that $5 or $10 a month is a problem, but if the only difference is that without ads the camera is pointed at the sky (like last year) during the commercial break, I think I'd just stay with my YoutubeTV which will record online if I want.
Yes but not all races will be live on NBCSN how many that will be delayed should be answered soon
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/5/2021 11:44am
KurtJ99 wrote:
Soooo I'll ask the obvious. Will NBC SN on "regular TV" still carry supercross with ads? Not that $5 or $10 a month is a problem...

bents
Fantasy
694th
1/5/2021 1:51pm
Skuzzy29 wrote:
Damn! Can you VPN?
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think you need a TV provider to access Peacock. If that's the case, VPN won't work.
DonM wrote:
No you don’t
So I have used a NordVPN in the past with NBC Gold and it has worked perfectly, until now....When I try to sign up using a US IP address for Peacock it won't let me as my credit card has a Canadian address (obviously, I live in Canada), so I can't use the drop down menus to complete the subscription. I tried paypal to no avail. I'm supremely bummed out right now as I never had a problem with either the SX or MX stream while using my previous strategy. By all accounts it was better than the international package offered by Feld for SX anyway. For the love of Pearl why can't anyone outside the US pay for this freaking package?? SO frustrating-its not like the technology doesn't exist-MXGP or MotoGP-both are happy to accept my $. Fuck.
berno929
Fantasy
2477th
1/5/2021 2:17pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think you need a TV provider to access Peacock. If that's the case, VPN won't work.
DonM wrote:
No you don’t
bents wrote:
So I have used a NordVPN in the past with NBC Gold and it has worked perfectly, until now....When I try to sign up using a...
So I have used a NordVPN in the past with NBC Gold and it has worked perfectly, until now....When I try to sign up using a US IP address for Peacock it won't let me as my credit card has a Canadian address (obviously, I live in Canada), so I can't use the drop down menus to complete the subscription. I tried paypal to no avail. I'm supremely bummed out right now as I never had a problem with either the SX or MX stream while using my previous strategy. By all accounts it was better than the international package offered by Feld for SX anyway. For the love of Pearl why can't anyone outside the US pay for this freaking package?? SO frustrating-its not like the technology doesn't exist-MXGP or MotoGP-both are happy to accept my $. Fuck.
Same here. What sucks even more is that my VPN subscribtion auto-renewed at $80 USD/year the day before the Peacock announcement. I was only using the VPN for NBC Sports Gold... Angry

STLSharky
1/5/2021 2:27pm
KurtJ99 wrote:
A+
bents
Fantasy
694th
1/5/2021 2:48pm
DonM wrote:
No you don’t
bents wrote:
So I have used a NordVPN in the past with NBC Gold and it has worked perfectly, until now....When I try to sign up using a...
berno929 wrote:
Same here. What sucks even more is that my VPN subscribtion auto-renewed at $80 USD/year the day before the Peacock announcement. I was only using the...
Same here. What sucks even more is that my VPN subscribtion auto-renewed at $80 USD/year the day before the Peacock announcement. I was only using the VPN for NBC Sports Gold... Angry

Well double fuck then. I have used NordVPN for some other US content but like you 99% of my purchase was based on watching NBC Gold for SX/MX. RIP NBC Gold-they were happy to take my money and I was happy to give it to them.

Post a reply to: Peacock it is!

The Latest