PayPal scam

Jack_Wagon
How does it work? I'm trying to sell my KTM 250 on Craigslist. Someone not local contacted me wanting to buy it. He wants to pay with PayPal and then send "movers" later to pick it up. I asked him if his PayPal was verified, and I haven't heard back. I'm sure it's a scam. I'm just not seeing how.
|
6/13/2016 6:28am
I just started selling some misc stuff on eBay.. The buyers for my two auctions have paid and I have shipped the items, but funds aren't immediately accessible to me. One of them finally cleared; still waiting on the other one.

Not sure you really have anything to lose here - Just have to make sure you have access to the funds before you release the bike

I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm missing anything here..
Dtat720
6/13/2016 6:31am
That is the most common scam. After making making payment they will report it as fraud and not an authorized transaction demanding a refund. They will get the refund and the bike. You wont have a leg to stand on with paypal either. I hate paypal with an absolute burning passion. Ive been ripped off for close to 10k by paypal buyers. And paypal has ALWAYS sided with the buyer no matter how much proof i have had.
The last one was the end of paypal for me. I had a bmx company in norcal ask me to develop a mini instant engagement hub for their line of products. So i did, they paid a deposit of 1k, i made 10 sets as they requested, shipped them, they recieved them. One day later they file a dispute with paypal that they did not recieve the product they ordered. Paypal gave them an immediate refund of 2400. Then asked me to prove why that should be reversed. I sent emails, text messages, approved drawings signed by the owner, they would not teverse the refund. Sided with the buyer. Plus, he never shipped the hubs back. So not only did i lose 2400 bucks, he got 10 sets of hubs for free. Which he turned around and sold.

Moral of the story, screw paypal
JQ
6/13/2016 6:31am
Paypal sucks. They seem to have the right (or ability) to do whatever they want with your money. Just google paypal problems.

I'm not saying this is a scam, but basically you can be paid by paypal, then someone picks up the bike, but the buyer submits a claim to paypal that he never received what he paid for, so you don't get the money, and the buyer get's a refund. And obviously you just lost the bike.

So to cover your ass, you need to have documentation proving that the bike was indeed handed over or you can easily get screwed.
6/13/2016 6:32am
Also, I'd chat with the seller on the phone first to feel him out. A sale like this warrants a real conversation over email communication

The Shop

racinstation
Fantasy
1921st
6/13/2016 6:33am
It is a SCAM. If you are ever in doubt, just ask them for a phone number so you can call them to discuss the sale. Also, ask them to pay with a certified check and you will pay the FedEx air fees to get the check to you. Should cost you about $15.00 and then you know the money is good.
Excaliburbmx
6/13/2016 6:44am
Jack_Wagon wrote:
How does it work? I'm trying to sell my KTM 250 on Craigslist. Someone not local contacted me wanting to buy it. He wants to pay...
How does it work? I'm trying to sell my KTM 250 on Craigslist. Someone not local contacted me wanting to buy it. He wants to pay with PayPal and then send "movers" later to pick it up. I asked him if his PayPal was verified, and I haven't heard back. I'm sure it's a scam. I'm just not seeing how.
Not avent bombshell is it?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/13/2016 6:50am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2016 6:58am
It states right in its buyer protection policy that "motor vehicles are not covered" by their "PayPal Buyer Protection" So you would be crazy to let anyone pay with paypal. You might as well let them write you a personal check because either way you will not get your money. Either cash up front or go to the buyers bank with them for a bank check. Paypal is ideal for small sales on places like ebay if you are a seller but a good rule of thumb is kind of like investing "dont invest more then you can afford to lose"

Eligibility
In order to qualify for PayPal Buyer Protection in addition to the conditions of Section 5 the following requirements must be met:

3.1 The Buyer has purchased an item and paid for it with PayPal.

3.2 Purchases of most goods and services are eligible (including travel tickets, intangible items such as rights of access to digital content and other licenses), except for purchases of the following:
Real estate (including, without limitation, residential property);
Businesses (including, without limitation, any items or services forming part of a business or corporate acquisition);
Vehicles (including, without limitation, motor vehicles, motorcycles, aircrafts, and boats);
Custom made items (unless they are claimed to be not received);
Goods and services prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy;
Industrial machinery used in manufacturing;
Items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, gift cards);
Any wager (whether by way of backing of laying against any outcome or otherwise) and any other opportunity to benefit from a gambling activity.
Dtat720
6/13/2016 6:55am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2016 6:59am
Jack_Wagon wrote:
How does it work? I'm trying to sell my KTM 250 on Craigslist. Someone not local contacted me wanting to buy it. He wants to pay...
Not avent bombshell is it?
Ha! No, but Jiri had his problems with patent infringement a few years ago with myself and the guys at Onyx. The 360 hub was a blatent ripoff of both our designs with a touch of stealth in the body contours.

That one stung a little as well, we had helped Jiri about 5-6 years ago in the development of the Bombshell carbon wheels. So that stung a bit.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/13/2016 7:03am
Dtat720 wrote:
That is the most common scam. After making making payment they will report it as fraud and not an authorized transaction demanding a refund. They will...
That is the most common scam. After making making payment they will report it as fraud and not an authorized transaction demanding a refund. They will get the refund and the bike. You wont have a leg to stand on with paypal either. I hate paypal with an absolute burning passion. Ive been ripped off for close to 10k by paypal buyers. And paypal has ALWAYS sided with the buyer no matter how much proof i have had.
The last one was the end of paypal for me. I had a bmx company in norcal ask me to develop a mini instant engagement hub for their line of products. So i did, they paid a deposit of 1k, i made 10 sets as they requested, shipped them, they recieved them. One day later they file a dispute with paypal that they did not recieve the product they ordered. Paypal gave them an immediate refund of 2400. Then asked me to prove why that should be reversed. I sent emails, text messages, approved drawings signed by the owner, they would not teverse the refund. Sided with the buyer. Plus, he never shipped the hubs back. So not only did i lose 2400 bucks, he got 10 sets of hubs for free. Which he turned around and sold.

Why in the world would you ever put yourself in a position to lose 10K to paypal buyers. and a loss of $2400 to one buyer is crazy.Blush
Dtat720
6/13/2016 7:14am
Dtat720 wrote:
That is the most common scam. After making making payment they will report it as fraud and not an authorized transaction demanding a refund. They will...

lostboy819 wrote:
Why in the world would you ever put yourself in a position to lose 10K to paypal buyers. and a loss of $2400 to one buyer...
Why in the world would you ever put yourself in a position to lose 10K to paypal buyers. and a loss of $2400 to one buyer is crazy.Blush
Paypal supposedly has seller protections. Which is an absolute farce. It is setup to protect buyers. Without buyers they have no business model. I had overwhelming documentation proving the buyer got exactly what he ordered. On the invoice it was stated, these are prototype items, non refundable. The buyer accepted the invoice. Paypal still refunded....
rcannon
6/13/2016 7:16am
I had a friend scammed with "paypal" but its really was not their fault. He sold a pw 50 for 600.00

He sold the bike to the buyer. The buyer HAD to use paypal because he wanted the purchase on his personal credit card.

So, he is there with his truck, and a friend to pick up the bike. My friend gets the e mail saying "you have funds"

He helps the guy load the bike, and he drives away. A while later, my friend goes in to transfer his money to his bank account. Of course it says, "zero". Maybe there is a delay???

No delay. The e mail was fake.

It looked 100% legit.

If a person has the for a bike, theres no reason to use paypal.
PEPE001
6/13/2016 7:24am
If you sell something please only accept Cash!

Anything else will not work!
And as the privious post mentioned if they have the money they will never use paypal!

I sell about 5 bikes a year and i do it only this way.

Pickup only
Cash only

Sometimes people ask if you can bring the bike they pay for gas, what they do is paying for bullets and take your bike and your Car.

And above that:
No test ride with cash in Hand!

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/13/2016 7:27am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2016 2:05pm
Dtat720 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:
Why in the world would you ever put yourself in a position to lose 10K to paypal buyers. and a loss of $2400 to one buyer...
Dtat720 wrote:
Paypal supposedly has seller protections. Which is an absolute farce. It is setup to protect buyers. Without buyers they have no business model. I had overwhelming...
Paypal supposedly has seller protections. Which is an absolute farce. It is setup to protect buyers. Without buyers they have no business model. I had overwhelming documentation proving the buyer got exactly what he ordered. On the invoice it was stated, these are prototype items, non refundable. The buyer accepted the invoice. Paypal still refunded....
I agree that paypal protects buyers and not sellers, but the buyer in that case was a Norcal BMX company, but how legit are they if they pay with paypal ? I sell lots of stuff on Ebay and have been pretty lucky and I have only had to make two claims as a seller and both times they found in my favor but most of my sales are less than $100 ,it is defiantly a gamble as a seller. Sad
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/13/2016 7:31am
PEPE001 wrote:
If you sell something please only accept Cash! Anything else will not work! And as the privious post mentioned if they have the money they will...
If you sell something please only accept Cash!

Anything else will not work!
And as the privious post mentioned if they have the money they will never use paypal!

I sell about 5 bikes a year and i do it only this way.

Pickup only
Cash only

Sometimes people ask if you can bring the bike they pay for gas, what they do is paying for bullets and take your bike and your Car.

And above that:
No test ride with cash in Hand!

That is the best way,that is for sure. I think too many people who sell use poor judgment because they want to make the sale. Cool
gharmon
6/13/2016 7:35am
Dtat720 wrote:

It's happened to me as well but not for that much. It was only $400. Ebay had my back but it did not matter. It was over a cell phone that the person had bought from me. It was like 2 months later and I was going to buy something and my paypal account was $400 in the hole. I called and talked to them and they said that the buyer had up to 6 months to dispute it with there credit card. I was returned a phone that had a shattered screed and no longer worked. I sent a VERY nice phone. We all know how easy a phone can get jacked in 2 months.

Either way I was out $400.00 and nice phone.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
6/13/2016 9:46am
I've bought and sold bikes with PayPal from people I've met from forums. I talked on the phone with the people I bought from several times before feeling comfortable to do it but I have done it and everything worked out fine. Not everyone is a crook.
mb
6/13/2016 9:50am
Agreed, the OP is a scam, however there are some honest deals out there. Hell, I once bought a bike using a gift card (great way to buy a used bike, private sale with credit card).
6/13/2016 9:53am
Actually 95% of the time craigslist scammers saying they'll use PayPal don't use it at all. The send you a link to a fake PayPal they set up on a bogus site that looks completely legit, but if you actually log onto PayPal thru the real website and check your balance no real money will be added. I buy/sell stuff of cl all the time and have never been burned once. Just local pickups in day time in a public place with someone with you as backup.
6/13/2016 10:16am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2016 10:19am
Here is another horror story regarding good ole Paypal.

I listed CR125 for a buddy on Ebay, it sells for $800.00.
The buyer takes it out and says it seized. Never showed documentation of claimed seizure.
Paypay refunded them and put my Paypal at minus $800.00.
Thank goodness my Bro was a true bro and he gave me $800.00 and we gave the buyer the bike and a refund.
Lesson learned, sell that shit in person and get signatures and only take cash!
BAMX
6/13/2016 10:56am
It sounds like a scam to me. I run an Ebay store at work and there are too many ways that this could go bad. The problem is that they will have the bike and you will be fighting to get your money back.
resetjet
6/13/2016 11:27am
Never a reason to accept paypal when a person is present to pick up goods.....cash only, too easy to print a "cashiers check". Best way is to meet at your bank. Handle the money and paper signing inside and deposit the cash. banks usually have a space they will let you use to close deals inside.
ob
6/13/2016 11:41am
Cash talks bullshit walks. That's how I was raised
cwtoyota
6/13/2016 1:02pm
ob wrote:
Cash talks bullshit walks. That's how I was raised
Same here. I've never sold a motorcycle or car to anyone who didn't hand me cash, in person.

I always tell buyers: "If your check is good, take it down to the bank and cash it yourself. Bring me the cash and we'll do business right here, in person, face to face."
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
6/13/2016 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2016 1:25pm
"Send Mover" = scam. Person will want to call you first to discuss shipment in every transaction I've done.

Find out if the person your dealing with has a bank institute in common with you. It's free and secure to transfer money from them to you via the bank. I've done this with Wells Fargo. Then you know they are a verified person on the other end. The only other real way to do a transaction that is safe is an escrow between you and the buyer. The third party in escrow verify the transaction before releasing the funds.Also the shipping part is key as well. You want to pay extra for the signature and verified recepient. I do quite few pay pal transactions above $2000, but never had a scam. Like someone mention, the person is going to be willing to speak to you via phone and verify where they live, who they work for so you can research them. I immediately search their cell phone, name and email addresses to see links between the information.
IWreckALot
6/13/2016 1:31pm
Anytime the deal is to be done via PayPal because the owner is out of the country or somewhere else, it's a scam.

2 questions you have to ask yourself is

1 - can the product be used where the person is? In a lot of cases, the buyer claims they're working on an offshore rig or in some 3rd world country. Why would they need a dirt bike there?

2 - Is there not a comparable product for sale anywhere closer to them? So if they're in Florida, and you're in California, do you believe for one second that there isn't a deal closer that can get the buyer what they want for roughly the same price.

I work for a credit card processing company, and we had a client in Florida that was asking if they should sell 10 mattresses to a customer in California, and he was selling them for full retail. . . Some people get too desperate to sell their product that all caution goes through the wind.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/13/2016 2:07pm
No one is dumb enough to fall for the "western Union scam" and if they do, then they deserve to lose their money.
aeffertz
6/13/2016 5:12pm
PayPal itself isn't a scam, it's actually very handy and convenient.

What you posted though sounds like a super common scam.

Post a reply to: PayPal scam

The Latest