Pawn Shop Find (18' TC 125)

garagedog
Fantasy
802nd
8/4/2018 11:16am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2018 5:29pm
I was browsing CL I saw an add for a 2018 TC 125 asking $4500. The bike was at a Bakersfield pawn shop. Original owner had pawned it 3 or 4 times and could not get the money to buy it back. I went speeding down 99 to the "Gold and Silver Trading Company". Two clean cut brothers own the business and were straight up guys. I gave them $4300 and they gave me the title. 40.9 hours on the meter but the bike looks like it has only 10. This thing has not seen the dirt. No signs of roost marks on the forks or bottom frame rails.

It just needs tires, a clutch lever, grips and to pull the dent out of the pipe. Owner must have been a wheelie boy because of the tire wear (back tire half gone and front knobs were worn only on the back side).

So, this 49 year old fart is a happy boy. My first non-Japanese bike. Jetting seems off at 1/8-1/4 throttle but man this engines goes on top. Tons more than any CR/RM/YZ 125 I have ever owned. So, its time to learn how to set up Husky. "Vet" set up tips welcome (suspension, powervalve setting, jetting...).

|
kwebster447
8/4/2018 11:30am
I live in Bakersfield and saw this on offer up, was very tempted to go get it. Great deal!
Hcallz5
8/4/2018 11:32am
Get a PWK on that thing and rip it.

The Shop

8/4/2018 11:36am
Nice!! Get a Vforce for it and run oil:fuel at 1:50. Should run clean then. Have fun!!
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
8/4/2018 11:38am
Had a similar story on CC with a to good to be true price. A 17 KTM 250sx, 5500, had 10hrs on it. I was off during a weekday, figured I had a chance since most folks were at work.

Get in touch with the seller, has title and everything. He says come up anytime. I haul ass because the bike new is 8k i believe. Get up there in the middle of nowhere to this old farm house with 2 strange chicks smoking cigs buy the garage with the bike sitting outside.

I walk up and this dude with a tattooed face walks around the corner wearing mx gear. I'm like SHIT, looks like the S&W 40 cal might get warm in a few. Dude with the tattooed face seemed cool, actually had a track down the hill behind the house. My 5k, S&W 40 and me took off to the track, rode around for the first time on a smoker with a counter balancer, had to have it. He took the 5k, gave it to the weird birds. I loaded up and bounced out of there.
AJ565
8/4/2018 12:02pm
Have the slide cut to 5.5 and it will clean it up. Might need to drop the pilot as well.
8/4/2018 1:21pm
Wow nice find! I have almost 9 hours on mine and absolutely loving it. As for jetting, I went down on the pilot a few sizes, and adjusted the needle leaner by one position, which helped significantly. I’m mixing it 40:1 with 50:50 110 and 91, running iPone oil and that seems to be what it likes. The manual recommends a minimum of 98 octane for these bikes.
B DUB 333
8/4/2018 1:59pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 2:02pm
I feel sorry for the dude trying to pay bills or whatever that lost it to the pawn shop for probably 2500 or less... I know it's dog eat dog but that's not the way I want to get a bike, no offence to the op, when opportunity knocks I guess ya gotta answer, but there's a guy somewhere that got hosed hard. Maybe his fault, maybe not. I got screwed by the largest pipeline contractor in the states, took me 3 years in court and by the time I won I had been pawning stuff, it's not always Crack heads. Anyway, nice ride.
plowboy
8/4/2018 2:52pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
I feel sorry for the dude trying to pay bills or whatever that lost it to the pawn shop for probably 2500 or less... I know...
I feel sorry for the dude trying to pay bills or whatever that lost it to the pawn shop for probably 2500 or less... I know it's dog eat dog but that's not the way I want to get a bike, no offence to the op, when opportunity knocks I guess ya gotta answer, but there's a guy somewhere that got hosed hard. Maybe his fault, maybe not. I got screwed by the largest pipeline contractor in the states, took me 3 years in court and by the time I won I had been pawning stuff, it's not always Crack heads. Anyway, nice ride.
No telling what the back story is but that bike is SUPER clean and that pipe ding is from pavement not dirt. I reckon garagedog saved this little beauty from a horrible fate. Like taking an Arabian off the plow and putting it on the track where it belongs. Glad to see it's got a good home. That's how I'm looking at it, anyway.Wink
8/4/2018 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 3:01pm
Great score. Enjoy.
Local shop just had a clean 2017 KTM 250sx. 7 or 8 hours on the meter. $4,995. If I was in the market it would be that. Sold quickly.
rehan53
8/4/2018 3:19pm
Markee wrote:
Had a similar story on CC with a to good to be true price. A 17 KTM 250sx, 5500, had 10hrs on it. I was off...
Had a similar story on CC with a to good to be true price. A 17 KTM 250sx, 5500, had 10hrs on it. I was off during a weekday, figured I had a chance since most folks were at work.

Get in touch with the seller, has title and everything. He says come up anytime. I haul ass because the bike new is 8k i believe. Get up there in the middle of nowhere to this old farm house with 2 strange chicks smoking cigs buy the garage with the bike sitting outside.

I walk up and this dude with a tattooed face walks around the corner wearing mx gear. I'm like SHIT, looks like the S&W 40 cal might get warm in a few. Dude with the tattooed face seemed cool, actually had a track down the hill behind the house. My 5k, S&W 40 and me took off to the track, rode around for the first time on a smoker with a counter balancer, had to have it. He took the 5k, gave it to the weird birds. I loaded up and bounced out of there.
Say the scary man with the face tattoo drew first. You would reach for your gun and try to shoot instead of giving him your money? You were willing to die, or, at best, kill for the $5,000 you brought to spend on a toy? And you’re so proud of it. Yours is the mindset I understand least among people who wish to carry.
plowboy
8/4/2018 3:44pm
Markee wrote:
Had a similar story on CC with a to good to be true price. A 17 KTM 250sx, 5500, had 10hrs on it. I was off...

rehan53 wrote:
Say the scary man with the face tattoo drew first. You would reach for your gun and try to shoot instead of giving him your money...
Say the scary man with the face tattoo drew first. You would reach for your gun and try to shoot instead of giving him your money? You were willing to die, or, at best, kill for the $5,000 you brought to spend on a toy? And you’re so proud of it. Yours is the mindset I understand least among people who wish to carry.
I didn't get that from his story at all. If shit went south and the whole deal was to get a sucker with cash out in the boonies...he had his gat to hopefully get him back to his truck and outta there. Don't think he planned on wasting tattoo boy, dropping the cash on his dead ass chest and whistling on his way home with a new bike.
8/4/2018 3:58pm
That was wheelie bike. Got some road rash on the pipe. Finally a good story to come out of a wheelie king.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
8/4/2018 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 4:43pm
Markee wrote:

rehan53 wrote:
Say the scary man with the face tattoo drew first. You would reach for your gun and try to shoot instead of giving him your money...
Did I go in with a tactical plan "if he drew first". No, but if he misses and I have a opportunity to get out of there, I'm no longer a helpless idiot with cash, I can fire back.

I'll take that as a compliment. My mindset is to protect my family, me and what I work very hard for, yes. But your mindset is the one that is in left field buddy, making the assumption that giving him what he ask for would result in you keep your life, really? I don't make those assumptions that strangers have my best interests in mind, especially my life.
BR8ES
8/4/2018 4:52pm
Wow, nice score. Enjoy the 125 madness!
TeamGreen
8/4/2018 5:38pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
I feel sorry for the dude trying to pay bills or whatever that lost it to the pawn shop for probably 2500 or less... I know...
plowboy wrote:
No telling what the back story is but that bike is SUPER clean and that pipe ding is from pavement not dirt. I reckon garagedog saved...
No telling what the back story is but that bike is SUPER clean and that pipe ding is from pavement not dirt. I reckon garagedog saved this little beauty from a horrible fate. Like taking an Arabian off the plow and putting it on the track where it belongs. Glad to see it's got a good home. That's how I'm looking at it, anyway.Wink
Someone knows his horses.

Nice!
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
763rd
8/4/2018 9:15pm
Hope you check the serial number to confirm not stolen.
Juss72
8/4/2018 9:38pm
Markee wrote:

rehan53 wrote:
If it were me I'd shoot that fucker, my life means more too me. You got a family you want to come home to? I know I sure as hell do!
tcallahan707
8/4/2018 11:58pm
Markee wrote:

rehan53 wrote:
You don't have to understand it. It's not your decision to make.
jeffro503
8/5/2018 12:08am
Wow man congrats on getting the bike , and at such an awesome deal!
Texas Built
8/5/2018 2:06am
Markee wrote:

rehan53 wrote:
You made up a hypothetical scenerio, then put him in middle of it, then accused him of being a gun nut as the result of your fake hypothetical scenerio.

8/5/2018 6:07am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Hope you check the serial number to confirm not stolen.
He mentioned being given the title.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
8/5/2018 8:08am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 8:12am
rehan53 wrote:
At that point, it's not about the $$. If someone draws on me it's about whether I live another 5 minutes, and I'll take whatever action is appropriate to ensure that I do.

Edit: In your hypothetical situation, how can you be certain tattoo guy doesn't just plug you after you gave him the money? The answer is you can't, and most likely that's not how it will go.
rehan53
8/5/2018 8:11am
rehan53 wrote:
At that point, it's not about the $$. If someone draws on me it's about whether I live another 5 minutes, and I'll take whatever action...
At that point, it's not about the $$. If someone draws on me it's about whether I live another 5 minutes, and I'll take whatever action is appropriate to ensure that I do.

Edit: In your hypothetical situation, how can you be certain tattoo guy doesn't just plug you after you gave him the money? The answer is you can't, and most likely that's not how it will go.
It is though. If he wanted to kill and rob you, instead of just rob you, you’d be dead before you got to your own weapon. You reaching for your gun instead of your wallet forces the man who is already aiming at you to make his decision.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
8/5/2018 8:30am
Good find! I would have done the same and drove from LA if I saw that deal.

Only advice is JD Jet kit. I put it in my KTM 125 and changed the game.

Also, don’t be scared to adjust your power valve screw. It dramatically changes where and how hard the Lowe hits. All the out is the softest with most bottom end, all the way in will hit hard and scream. need to find the happy medium around 1-2 turns in from full out.
garagedog
Fantasy
802nd
8/5/2018 4:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 5:19pm
Thanks men for the suggestions...

PWK
50:1, 40:1
V-Force
Slide cut to 5.5
Leaner Pilot (32.5)* (mxa mag suggestion too)
Lower needle 1 clip* (mxa mag suggestion too)
50/50 pump/race gas
JD-kit
Powervalve ~1-2 turns from full out

I'm 145lbs without gear (Vet intermediate). I think stock is 124psi in fork. Should I start there?
Sag- 105mm?
Digital fork pump suggestions that wont break the bank?
BR8ES
8/5/2018 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 5:04pm
OEM pump is around 70 bucks, make the reeds a low priority for now. Try the stock PSI on the fork, but you will probably go lower by a couple. Try the stock carb first, you may like it. Can always mod your stock slide, put a notch on it as well.

I like the RM 16 or 17/62 needle for the OEM carb, but JD is a quick and very good set up for either the Keihin or Mikuni.
garagedog
Fantasy
802nd
8/5/2018 5:16pm
Yah, I'm not going to put any money in it for now, except tires and clutch lever. I'll put in a few rides at the local track (DT1) and see how it goes. Easy flip if decide to go that way.

It sure is not Japanese. 1 8mm bolt for the seat and tool-less air filter service. Nice!

What the heck is this hole for...?

Post a reply to: Pawn Shop Find (18' TC 125)

The Latest