Pastrana live jump discussion

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
7/9/2018 10:58am
I watched all 3 hours and I thought they did a great job.
Kyle_McNab
7/9/2018 11:27am
It was a good show. Only bad part was I passed out right before the 3rd jump. Lol
newmann
7/9/2018 11:36am
500guy wrote:
I watched all 3 hours of it and being a kid back when Evel was doing these jumps brought back many memories of the times. I...
I watched all 3 hours of it and being a kid back when Evel was doing these jumps brought back many memories of the times.

I have to say it was very accurate even the hype , the only difference was I knew Travis would make it no problem.

Back in the day Evel crashing or being extremely sketchy was a given.
flatout111 wrote:
Spot on.
JAFO92 wrote:
Ditto, same here. Im 54 and was sitting directly in front of our families sole black & white TV when Evel did most of his jumps...
Ditto, same here. Im 54 and was sitting directly in front of our families sole black & white TV when Evel did most of his jumps - it really was a BIG deal back then. (mom and dad were on the couch because in those days the whole family watched). I enjoyed the entire thing and appreciate all the sponsors who ponied up cash to make the event possible. Anyone who cant see how cool that all was, no amount of explaining will suffice. If I have to explain, you wont understand.
It was pretty damn cool.
newmann
7/9/2018 11:37am
RandyS wrote:
I do wish they would have gone over to the bar at Ceasers to interview Robbie.
Laughing

The Shop

mxpro252
7/9/2018 11:41am
RiverockMX wrote:
Pretty Lame. Fed viewers 90% bullshit for 3hrs (thank goodness for DVR fast-fw) so Travis could jump the same distances Evel did 50 yrs ago? Months...
Pretty Lame. Fed viewers 90% bullshit for 3hrs (thank goodness for DVR fast-fw) so Travis could jump the same distances Evel did 50 yrs ago? Months of engineering tech on the Motorcycle(s), precision assembly and testing of the ramps, equipment.

Evel prepared with a 1/2 bottle of Wild Turkey, combed his hair and checked there was air in his tires.
While I’m not at all dismissing Travis’ jumps, there is no way the bike he jumped was nearly as sketchy as the ones Evil jumped. Travis nailed the jumps and I’m sure was a little nervous to do them on a bike like that, but could you imagine if they rolled out an actual replica of the bike Evil used and said “here you go. Send it!”
Mixer up
7/9/2018 11:47am
RandyS wrote:
I do wish they would have gone over to the bar at Ceasers to interview Robbie.
newmann wrote:
Laughing
Good OneSilly
500guy
7/9/2018 11:48am
mxpro252 wrote:
While I’m not at all dismissing Travis’ jumps, there is no way the bike he jumped was nearly as sketchy as the ones Evil jumped. Travis...
While I’m not at all dismissing Travis’ jumps, there is no way the bike he jumped was nearly as sketchy as the ones Evil jumped. Travis nailed the jumps and I’m sure was a little nervous to do them on a bike like that, but could you imagine if they rolled out an actual replica of the bike Evil used and said “here you go. Send it!”
it was an Evel Tribute not an attempted suicide.
Solidkm
7/9/2018 11:59am
flatout111 wrote:
Man, some of you guys would find fault if Christ came before you..And yes, I fully expect some comments on that as well. This was an...
Man, some of you guys would find fault if Christ came before you..And yes, I fully expect some comments on that as well.

This was an homage to his idol. No reason for finding fault in everything.And yes TP is ultra talented but part of the allure of it is keeping it as close to the original stunt as possible. It gave me chills to see him in the Evel suit. But hey, that's me.

I had several people who don't give a crap about dirt bikes say it was cool and I thought all the Evel footage was great. Brought me back to my childhood.
We aren’t knocking Pastrana. He did was he was paid to do. I suspect he was paid very very handsomely, too. Good for him. The announcers and the comments were atrocious. It was clearly meant for the gen pop and not for us moto guys. It was a joke to be honest. But hey, ill just keep drinking my haterade and go ride my 210 pound RMZ 450
Kyle_McNab
7/9/2018 12:22pm
Why are you guys complaining . The down time was lengthy but it still better than watching so bs show
7/9/2018 1:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2018 1:30pm
We had a house full of people watching the show live and nearly every person in the room was yawning and wanting to fast-forward through all the BS, even the younger kids. They exaggerated the risks involved so much that it was borderline absurd. "He could get vapor lock from this heat." Give me a friggin break. The bike Travis rode was a far cry from Evel's. Ohlins rear shock and Race Tech tuned forks. LOL.

Far more impressive and dangerous stunts have been performed since Evel's time, including by Pastrana. This was nothing more than a gigantic commercial opportunity for all involved. They milked the shit out of the melodramatic teet on this one and it barely delivered any entertainment.

Did anyone catch Travis' slip during the final interview when he suggested this was his last hoorah? He quickly corrected himself. I got the impression this is Travis' last moto jump.

Watch the documentary Johnny Knoxville did on Evel if you want to watch something entertaining.
7/9/2018 1:39pm
flatout111 wrote:
Man, some of you guys would find fault if Christ came before you..And yes, I fully expect some comments on that as well. This was an...
Man, some of you guys would find fault if Christ came before you..And yes, I fully expect some comments on that as well.

This was an homage to his idol. No reason for finding fault in everything.And yes TP is ultra talented but part of the allure of it is keeping it as close to the original stunt as possible. It gave me chills to see him in the Evel suit. But hey, that's me.

I had several people who don't give a crap about dirt bikes say it was cool and I thought all the Evel footage was great. Brought me back to my childhood.
Solidkm wrote:
We aren’t knocking Pastrana. He did was he was paid to do. I suspect he was paid very very handsomely, too. Good for him. The announcers...
We aren’t knocking Pastrana. He did was he was paid to do. I suspect he was paid very very handsomely, too. Good for him. The announcers and the comments were atrocious. It was clearly meant for the gen pop and not for us moto guys. It was a joke to be honest. But hey, ill just keep drinking my haterade and go ride my 210 pound RMZ 450
IA. I overall enjoyed the show. But some of the commentary was pure cringe. I hate this trend of how everything has to "mean" something and be overanalyzed to death. Evel was a legend and an icon, no question. But the fawning "First American hero" and "this is so important to HISTORY" crap...gimme a break. The guy was an incredible entertainer, not the savior of the free world. Let's just appreciate Evel, Travis, and the stunts for what they are. Not everything has to be the actual meaning of life.
Donovan759
7/9/2018 1:41pm
We had a house full of people watching the show live and nearly every person in the room was yawning and wanting to fast-forward through all...
We had a house full of people watching the show live and nearly every person in the room was yawning and wanting to fast-forward through all the BS, even the younger kids. They exaggerated the risks involved so much that it was borderline absurd. "He could get vapor lock from this heat." Give me a friggin break. The bike Travis rode was a far cry from Evel's. Ohlins rear shock and Race Tech tuned forks. LOL.

Far more impressive and dangerous stunts have been performed since Evel's time, including by Pastrana. This was nothing more than a gigantic commercial opportunity for all involved. They milked the shit out of the melodramatic teet on this one and it barely delivered any entertainment.

Did anyone catch Travis' slip during the final interview when he suggested this was his last hoorah? He quickly corrected himself. I got the impression this is Travis' last moto jump.

Watch the documentary Johnny Knoxville did on Evel if you want to watch something entertaining.
The program was to honor a legend. And it did exactly that. It was a 3 hour TV slot to cover 3 quick jumps.

What did you expect to happen between each one? A Superbowl halftime show?
7/9/2018 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2018 2:04pm
Donovan759 wrote:
The program was to honor a legend. And it did exactly that. It was a 3 hour TV slot to cover 3 quick jumps. What did...
The program was to honor a legend. And it did exactly that. It was a 3 hour TV slot to cover 3 quick jumps.

What did you expect to happen between each one? A Superbowl halftime show?
Do you really think all those corporate sponsors came together simply to "honor a legend?" Give me a gigantic break.

Let's just be honest with ourselves here - the whole thing was boring AF and the legend of Evel Knievel is a fading memory. They milked what they could of "the legend" and turned it into a 3 hour commercial.
dmc22tx
7/9/2018 2:00pm
IA. I overall enjoyed the show. But some of the commentary was pure cringe. I hate this trend of how everything has to "mean" something and...
IA. I overall enjoyed the show. But some of the commentary was pure cringe. I hate this trend of how everything has to "mean" something and be overanalyzed to death. Evel was a legend and an icon, no question. But the fawning "First American hero" and "this is so important to HISTORY" crap...gimme a break. The guy was an incredible entertainer, not the savior of the free world. Let's just appreciate Evel, Travis, and the stunts for what they are. Not everything has to be the actual meaning of life.
/\ /\ /\ /\ This!
Travis is unreal and has stones the size of mountains and Evel was and always will be awesome (I owned the Evel wind up stunt cycle with the red plastic ramps and jumped plenty of garbage cans with plywood ramps on my bicycle in my youth..) so I am a fan of both.

The hero worship was a bit over the top. Kinda like the Anthony Bourdain worship that took place the last month. You'd thought the guy cured cancer or something...
7/9/2018 2:03pm
If you know motorcycles and don't mind having your intelligence insulted then maybe you enjoyed it. Roland Sands built 4 Heavily modified Indian FTR 750's to fit Travis perfectly. So which bike was Cary Hart so concerned that Travis was using up the rear tire on? Wow.
DoctorJD
7/9/2018 2:10pm
So who's gonna be the first to recreate the Snake River Canyon jump?
flatout111
7/9/2018 2:22pm
So, a question for you guys. Evel was my introduction to motor bikes. Later on I got into MX and SX. But when I was 4 I was glued to the tube every jump.

Not talking freestyle here. Is there a modern daredevil that does things somewhat like this on a bike in today's world? Is that Pastrana? I don't follow Nitro Circus . Not into freestyle. But I'm talking death defying jumps like Evel did but modern.
500guy
7/9/2018 2:32pm
flatout111 wrote:
So, a question for you guys. Evel was my introduction to motor bikes. Later on I got into MX and SX. But when I was 4...
So, a question for you guys. Evel was my introduction to motor bikes. Later on I got into MX and SX. But when I was 4 I was glued to the tube every jump.

Not talking freestyle here. Is there a modern daredevil that does things somewhat like this on a bike in today's world? Is that Pastrana? I don't follow Nitro Circus . Not into freestyle. But I'm talking death defying jumps like Evel did but modern.
flatout111
7/9/2018 2:34pm
flatout111 wrote:
So, a question for you guys. Evel was my introduction to motor bikes. Later on I got into MX and SX. But when I was 4...

500guy wrote:
I've heard of him, of course, but really haven't got into his stuff. But now I will. Thanks.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1568th
7/9/2018 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2018 2:40pm
flatout111 wrote:

Bubba Blackwell is/was doing these types of stuff. Used to ride woods with him when I lived in Alabama. last time I drove by his house I don’t remember seeing much of anything that screamed he still was.
7/9/2018 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2018 3:18pm
flatout111 wrote:

Alex Harvill currently holds the world record for longest motorcycle jump at 425 ft (ramp to dirt). The longest motorcycle jump dirt-to-dirt is 297.5 feet, also held by Harvill.

Also...

Ryan Capes
Robbie Maddison
Bubba Blackwell

Evel earned his wings (and legend status) doing something quite literally no other human on the planet was doing at the time. Historical context is very relevant and important there. The stuff Pastrana did last night pales in comparison to the modern day distance jumping which is why most of us found it incredibly boring to watch. Pro motocross guys are jumping those distances all day long and with far more consequence.
BobKerr
7/9/2018 3:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2018 3:28pm
We had a house full of people watching the show live and nearly every person in the room was yawning and wanting to fast-forward through all...

I think There was an interview somewhat recently that he stated he had about 2 more years on contracts with sponsors.
robkinuk
7/9/2018 3:42pm
Wonder if Travis or Nitro Circus had to pay a royalty fee to Knievel's family or estate? to use his name, similarity etc?
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1338th
7/9/2018 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2018 4:43pm
500guy wrote:
I watched all 3 hours of it and being a kid back when Evel was doing these jumps brought back many memories of the times. I...
I watched all 3 hours of it and being a kid back when Evel was doing these jumps brought back many memories of the times.

I have to say it was very accurate even the hype , the only difference was I knew Travis would make it no problem.

Back in the day Evel crashing or being extremely sketchy was a given.
flatout111 wrote:
Spot on.
JAFO92 wrote:
Ditto, same here. Im 54 and was sitting directly in front of our families sole black & white TV when Evel did most of his jumps...
Ditto, same here. Im 54 and was sitting directly in front of our families sole black & white TV when Evel did most of his jumps - it really was a BIG deal back then. (mom and dad were on the couch because in those days the whole family watched). I enjoyed the entire thing and appreciate all the sponsors who ponied up cash to make the event possible. Anyone who cant see how cool that all was, no amount of explaining will suffice. If I have to explain, you wont understand.
I'm 62 and loved it... I flashing back to being a kid and waiting and watching the Evel jumps....I will say the
"Travis" personality traits added to it....the "Thumbs up", the cruise down the strip..the High Fives, the jump in the Fountain...all added to it...
mxpro252
7/9/2018 10:37pm
mxpro252 wrote:
While I’m not at all dismissing Travis’ jumps, there is no way the bike he jumped was nearly as sketchy as the ones Evil jumped. Travis...
500guy wrote:
it was an Evel Tribute not an attempted suicide.
I guess that was part of my realization; evil was insane for even trying those jumps. My respect for that guy increased quite a bit after last night.
wfopete
7/11/2018 10:05am
I'm not sure that was Pastrana. A Heel Clicker before he landed would have been a nice touch and would have confirmed it was Travis. Jumping into the fountain just seemed like kinda weak move for him. I have my doubts.

Post a reply to: Pastrana live jump discussion

The Latest