Pastor Injured in Dirt Bike Accident During Church Service

Bob693
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:37am
Tuesday, July 22, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

KOKOMO, Ind. — A pastor brought out a dirt bike during a church service to demonstrate the concept of unity. Now he's demonstrating the concept of healing.

Jeff Harlow, the senior pastor at Crossroads Community Church, broke his wrist when he lost control of the motorcycle at the start of Sunday's second service, driving off a 5-foot platform and into the vacant first row of seats. He underwent surgery on the wrist Monday.

"Jeff has already laughed a lot, so he's OK. I think his pride was bruised," said his wife, Becky.

Becky Harlow said her husband had recently attended a motorcycle race in Buchanan, Mich.

"He had this idea that he would bring this bike out onstage and show people how the rider would become one with the bike," she told the Kokomo Tribune. "He was going to just sit on it and drive it out. He was just walking the dirt bike out onstage and somehow it got away from him. It was not intended."

No one else was hurt.

Jeff Harlow had performed the demonstration at earlier services Saturday night and Sunday morning without incident.

|
Larry
7/22/2008 7:25am
So that church has 2 motos? 45 min. plus 2 songs I guess. Cool.
flynbrian
7/22/2008 7:45am
it was a good Idea. I had the same idea. it helps to get the attention of the congregation when you do something that they will always remember, I'm sure they will always remember that service, but instead of the unity between the bike and rider how about rider, congregation and emergency room Laughing
Trinitite
7/22/2008 8:19am
I'm guessing he didn't thank Jesus for keeping him safe.

The Shop

Holigan
7/22/2008 8:23am
"Becky Harlow said her husband had recently attended a motorcycle race in Buchanan, Mich."

All of those Red Budd fans are wild.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
7/22/2008 8:27am
Makes me want to attend one of his church services.
jtomasik
7/22/2008 8:28am
Trinitite wrote:
Yeah, the ungrateful bastard. I got zero thanks for not killing him. Next time, I'm looking the other way, and he's on his own.
SCYRacing
7/22/2008 8:28am
Maybe he should have just showed a pic of TLD's piston-bones sticker to show unity of man and machine.
WSR
7/22/2008 8:30am
Good thing the front row was vacant!
Friday
7/22/2008 8:36am
Trinitite wrote:
Probably thanked him for keeping the people in the congregation safe though.
docweedon
7/22/2008 8:46am
flynbrian wrote:
it was a good Idea. I had the same idea. it helps to get the attention of the congregation when you do something that they will...
it was a good Idea. I had the same idea. it helps to get the attention of the congregation when you do something that they will always remember, I'm sure they will always remember that service, but instead of the unity between the bike and rider how about rider, congregation and emergency room Laughing
I think his experiment will do harm than any good. When a kid from the church begs his parents to let him ride a dirt bike, they will remember the stunt the pastor pulled and say "No way...look what it did to Pastor so-n-so. Those things are dangerous!"

If he wanted to make his experiment successful, he should have had training, or had someone that does ride from his church run the bike. Just another person thinking all that is involved with riding a motorcycle is twisting the throttle. Tongue
flynbrian
7/22/2008 9:34am
Sounds like being a Pastor is more dangerous than riding a dirt bikeWink
jtomasik
7/22/2008 9:53am
Without youtube, it never happened.
7/22/2008 10:37am
Don't start in bonepony, I thrashed you last time we had a discussion.
jtomasik
7/22/2008 10:45am
You are a toad AND an idiot.
Ok, so me sitting here calling a guy who launches a running dirt bike into a crowd in a closed room a toad makes me an idiot. Right. I wonder if you'd be siding for him if that bike got a hold of an infant and killed it.

The minister is a moron.
7/22/2008 11:07am
jtomasik wrote:
Ok, so me sitting here calling a guy who launches a running dirt bike into a crowd in a closed room a toad makes me an...
Ok, so me sitting here calling a guy who launches a running dirt bike into a crowd in a closed room a toad makes me an idiot. Right. I wonder if you'd be siding for him if that bike got a hold of an infant and killed it.

The minister is a moron.
No. Your being you makes you an idiot. And your blasphemous avatar will get you a one way ticket to hell.
Cygnus
7/22/2008 11:08am
jtomasik wrote:
Ok, so me sitting here calling a guy who launches a running dirt bike into a crowd in a closed room a toad makes me an...

The minister is a moron.
No. Your being you makes you an idiot. And your blasphemous avatar will get you a one way ticket to hell.
Same goes for your Kiss sig.
flynbrian
7/22/2008 11:20am
ok so if a pastor has an accident at church he is an idiot but if someone has an accident anywhere else it is no big dealHuh
DDub8
7/22/2008 11:21am
flynbrian wrote:
it was a good Idea. I had the same idea. it helps to get the attention of the congregation when you do something that they will...
docweedon wrote:
I think his experiment will do harm than any good. When a kid from the church begs his parents to let him ride a dirt bike...
I think his experiment will do harm than any good. When a kid from the church begs his parents to let him ride a dirt bike, they will remember the stunt the pastor pulled and say "No way...look what it did to Pastor so-n-so. Those things are dangerous!"

If he wanted to make his experiment successful, he should have had training, or had someone that does ride from his church run the bike. Just another person thinking all that is involved with riding a motorcycle is twisting the throttle. Tongue
We have a riding group in our area and the pastor of my church and his son come to some of the rides. The pastor has crashed and been banged up twice and shared the story with the rest of the church as a lead-in to his sermon. I had to tell him he needs to cool it on the "I survived a horrible dirtbike crash" stories since they lead to lots of stares from my wife.
docweedon
7/22/2008 11:41am
Exactly my point. It's hard enough as is to explain to the non-MX part of society why we would want to beat ourselves up. Most people don't understand anything dirt bike related, and see it as dangerous and have this daredevil mentality about it.
It's one thing if the Pastor is an avid MX rider and can somehow share his experiences of riding a bike(not crashing) and the word of god together.
When it is someone that knows nothing about the sport and what is involved, the dude is not very smart and I would never go back to his church.
7/22/2008 11:43am
Cygnus wrote:
Same goes for your Kiss sig.
I have no choice in that sig; I was forced to have it by the voices in my head.
7/22/2008 11:45am
docweedon wrote:
Exactly my point. It's hard enough as is to explain to the non-MX part of society why we would want to beat ourselves up. Most people...
Exactly my point. It's hard enough as is to explain to the non-MX part of society why we would want to beat ourselves up. Most people don't understand anything dirt bike related, and see it as dangerous and have this daredevil mentality about it.
It's one thing if the Pastor is an avid MX rider and can somehow share his experiences of riding a bike(not crashing) and the word of god together.
When it is someone that knows nothing about the sport and what is involved, the dude is not very smart and I would never go back to his church.
All you judgmental assblows need to back off NOW before I get upset.
flynbrian
7/22/2008 11:53am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2008 12:02pm
I don't know my pastor breaks horses on the side and has had plenty of wrecks but it didn't keep me from buying 2horses and a pony for my kid from him. We later switched to dirt bikes because they seem to be safer and eat less.
Larry
7/22/2008 12:27pm
Bet it was a 4 stroke bog that caused the accident.
Friday
7/22/2008 12:49pm
Uh,motorcycles ARE dangerous.I have known that since I started on them in 1967.Who cares if other people know the truth?Part of the reason we ride and race is that NOT EVERYBODY can do it.I hate to see people get hurt.I've had more than my share of injuries.I preach safety equipment and safe riding but things happen.I'm glad not everyone is into my sport.Sets me apart.
j2one2
7/22/2008 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:44pm

MX7MX
7/22/2008 1:40pm
Larry wrote:
Bet it was a 4 stroke bog that caused the accident.
nah....it was the untimely hit of the 2 stroke.
Cygnus
7/22/2008 1:42pm
Bob693 wrote:
Pastor Injured in Dirt Bike Accident During Church Service Tuesday, July 22, 2008 E-Mail Print Share: KOKOMO, Ind. — A pastor brought out a dirt bike...
Tuesday, July 22, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

KOKOMO, Ind. — A pastor brought out a dirt bike during a church service to demonstrate the concept of unity. Now he's demonstrating the concept of healing.

Jeff Harlow, the senior pastor at Crossroads Community Church, broke his wrist when he lost control of the motorcycle at the start of Sunday's second service, driving off a 5-foot platform and into the vacant first row of seats. He underwent surgery on the wrist Monday.

"Jeff has already laughed a lot, so he's OK. I think his pride was bruised," said his wife, Becky.

Becky Harlow said her husband had recently attended a motorcycle race in Buchanan, Mich.

"He had this idea that he would bring this bike out onstage and show people how the rider would become one with the bike," she told the Kokomo Tribune. "He was going to just sit on it and drive it out. He was just walking the dirt bike out onstage and somehow it got away from him. It was not intended."

No one else was hurt.

Jeff Harlow had performed the demonstration at earlier services Saturday night and Sunday morning without incident.

Wicked . Good post Newb.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
7/22/2008 1:46pm
Hey, it's hard for pastors to get a ride in on Sunday.

Post a reply to: Pastor Injured in Dirt Bike Accident During Church Service

The Latest