Parked the dirt bike?

cody41
9/3/2018 6:39am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2018 6:46am
Kyle978 wrote:
I read through this thread and had to address some things. So first and foremost, I can’t help but laugh at you clowns who say “I...
I read through this thread and had to address some things.

So first and foremost, I can’t help but laugh at you clowns who say “I don’t get how you sissies get your jollies riding around in spandex” and “you can ride 6 mph down a trail or fly down it doing a wheelie on a dirt bike”. Most who think that are the same out of shape, slow MF’ers that you see barhumping their way around the vet track 1-2 laps at a time before they gas out and need to go back to the pits and talk about what parts they need to buy for their bike next as if it’s the reason they ride like shit.

I’ve raced and been in and around the industry since I was a kid, I’m 28 now (still a kid for some of you old farts). I am currently making a push in my career as an insurance broker, and have decided to park the dirt bike for a bit while I focus and put proper attention in to a new career. I find myself working quite a bit, and the thought of getting hurt too bad to go to work is enough to keep me from owning a MX bike currently. Most of my friends are current pros or in the industry, so I have access to bikes, I just can’t help but feel guilty when I go ride that I don’t have my priorities straight.

Mountain biking has given me a lot. It’s given me a new challenge, gotten me in phenomenal shape, aligned me with great people that I call friends, and given me access to ride areas I never would be able to on a dirt bike. I live in southern Orange County in California. Without loading up my truck, I can ride to 3 different trails systems that have miles of single track littered with jumps, berms and ocean views. Within 3 hours I can have a great ride, be home and ready to go to brunch or hang by the beach for the rest of the day, while I would have just barely made it to the track and unloaded in those 3 hours.

The ignorance involved with the cost a mountain bike from some of you surprises me, as well. Comparing it to an OEM dirt bike is laughable. When I buy a $8k mountain bike, I’m getting the equivalent of a factory bike. The entire bike is carbon fiber, including the wheels. The forks and shock are Kashima coated, the bearings are ceramic, there’s a seat post that lifts and lowers so you can get your butt over the back more etc. the pros truly race the same bicycle you can buy.

When you buy a new MX bike, it takes 10’s of thousands on top of the 10 grand purchase price to get the bike even close to pro-level race ready like a mountain bike is straight from the bicycle shop. Then you factor in that your wear parts on my bicycle are simply tires and brakes, I don’t usually need to drive my truck to go ride, and no track fees...it truly isn’t even on the same planet as MX cost wise.

I’ve really gotten into the XC scene these last couple years. I started racing the Over the Hump series here I. SoCal, and that’s blommosed to much more for me. It’s fun, a new challenge, and much more laid back than Moto, and frankly a much more established crowd of racers I prefer to be around. Not to mention the OTH series pulls 600-800 racers on any given Tuesday night. I can’t think of the last time I saw a local MX race with a turnout like that.

Moral of the story, there is no replacing the feeling of ripping a rut and laying it over on the face of a jump, but sometimes all the hassle of the process isn’t worth it. I’ll be back into MX some day, but for now MTB is a great replacement!
I agree 100% and I’m in a very similar situation as well.
Mx746
9/3/2018 6:52am
BMX is a great way to get the moto fix in on a bicycle. The tracks need riders of all ages, and they also could use parent volunteers etc. You get some good exercise, sharpen the skills and help keep a positive place for kids alive and well. Win win.
Bry145
9/3/2018 7:59am
Mx746 wrote:
BMX is a great way to get the moto fix in on a bicycle. The tracks need riders of all ages, and they also could use...
BMX is a great way to get the moto fix in on a bicycle. The tracks need riders of all ages, and they also could use parent volunteers etc. You get some good exercise, sharpen the skills and help keep a positive place for kids alive and well. Win win.
Hasn't BMX greatly declined in popularity since the 90s?

If ever in Cleveland, hit the XC loop at Ray's MTB Park. It is a mix of BMX obstacles and a mellow mountain bike loop. It is great exercise and quite stimulating. Just don't try to do it for more than two hours, as dropping with a leg cramp and trying to drive home isn't pleasant.

TJMX947
9/5/2018 7:04am
Mx746 wrote:
BMX is a great way to get the moto fix in on a bicycle. The tracks need riders of all ages, and they also could use...
Bry145 wrote:
Hasn't BMX greatly declined in popularity since the 90s? If ever in Cleveland, hit the XC loop at Ray's MTB Park. It is a mix of...
Hasn't BMX greatly declined in popularity since the 90s?

If ever in Cleveland, hit the XC loop at Ray's MTB Park. It is a mix of BMX obstacles and a mellow mountain bike loop. It is great exercise and quite stimulating. Just don't try to do it for more than two hours, as dropping with a leg cramp and trying to drive home isn't pleasant.

I would say BMX is doing well...There are lots of tracks opening up that are world class facilities. I will say that BMX racing is a much more organized sport than motocross currently is. I gave it a try in 2015 when I found out we were having a kid, put my new CRF450R on a shelf because we were trying to save money. After about two months I was over it, would rather ride moto.

The Shop

Bry145
9/5/2018 12:45pm
TJMX947 wrote:
I would say BMX is doing well...There are lots of tracks opening up that are world class facilities. I will say that BMX racing is a...
I would say BMX is doing well...There are lots of tracks opening up that are world class facilities. I will say that BMX racing is a much more organized sport than motocross currently is. I gave it a try in 2015 when I found out we were having a kid, put my new CRF450R on a shelf because we were trying to save money. After about two months I was over it, would rather ride moto.
I live near South Park BMX if you have heard of that place.

I think the demographics in Charlotte compared to Pittsburgh are better for BMX. We are an aging community.

If I lived that close to Club MX I'd moto down a lot more!

TJMX947
9/6/2018 8:54am
Bry145 wrote:
I live near South Park BMX if you have heard of that place. I think the demographics in Charlotte compared to Pittsburgh are better for BMX...
I live near South Park BMX if you have heard of that place.

I think the demographics in Charlotte compared to Pittsburgh are better for BMX. We are an aging community.

If I lived that close to Club MX I'd moto down a lot more!

I'll be honest, until Club MX opened the public practice facility I struggled to find good places to consistently ride without driving really far. I'm about 45 minutes away from Club MX, and now that the I485 loop is complete I can get to the tracks up I77 a lot easier.

The Club MX PF has been closed since Loretta's and TBH I've been lost without it
Bry145
9/6/2018 12:11pm
TJMX947 wrote:
I'll be honest, until Club MX opened the public practice facility I struggled to find good places to consistently ride without driving really far. I'm about...
I'll be honest, until Club MX opened the public practice facility I struggled to find good places to consistently ride without driving really far. I'm about 45 minutes away from Club MX, and now that the I485 loop is complete I can get to the tracks up I77 a lot easier.

The Club MX PF has been closed since Loretta's and TBH I've been lost without it
I stopped at the Chic Fil A in Indian Trail on the way to Club MX.

It must be a blessing to have such a challenging sand track close-by to ride on the regular!

I really enjoy that place, and it is my favorite vacation spot. It's also a cheap vacation sleeping in a tent at the track and eating Bojangles.
wreckers
9/7/2018 7:25pm
Op started this thread looking for validation because he knows he misses dirt bikes.

If you can't afford to maintain your bike or get hurt fine, but if you are having more fun on a mb you are most certainly riding your motorcycle all wrong
wfo4ever
9/7/2018 10:15pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 10:16pm
I gave up racing motocross years ago and just started trail riding for fun with friends. Now all my many friends that used to ride dirt bikes with me have all quit and sold their bikes for various reasons. I now just trail ride on my own land.

When I get up in the morning,
I don't need no MTB for me.
Just me and my good buddy YZ,
Is all I'll ever need.

I ride alone, yeah
With nobody else
I ride alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I ride alone
I prefer to be by myself.

I Ride Alone.....
nytsmaC
9/8/2018 10:26am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 10:27am
I’ve parked the MX bike and taken up mountain biking after my last bout of injuries. it’s been almost 6 months and I’m healed up enough that I can probably start easing back into MX again but I’m really hesitant. I can’t go through this again and the reward isn’t outweighing the risk factor for me anymore.

Maybe I’ll have a change of heart and I’ll pick it up again next year but I’m really over it for the time being. Mountain biking has been a great substitute. I love that I can go riding for a couple hours and it doesn’t consume my whole day.

Last week I rode the Whistler bike park, that was probably just about as much fun as I’ve ever had on a motorcycle. Riding downhill like that I found uses the same leg muscles that MX does too so would be great for MX training.
TJMX947
9/10/2018 10:57am
TJMX947 wrote:
I'll be honest, until Club MX opened the public practice facility I struggled to find good places to consistently ride without driving really far. I'm about...

Bry145 wrote:
I stopped at the Chic Fil A in Indian Trail on the way to Club MX. It must be a blessing to have such a challenging...
I stopped at the Chic Fil A in Indian Trail on the way to Club MX.

It must be a blessing to have such a challenging sand track close-by to ride on the regular!

I really enjoy that place, and it is my favorite vacation spot. It's also a cheap vacation sleeping in a tent at the track and eating Bojangles.
Did you drive to North Carolina from Arizona??? I want to make a trip out west at some point, racing at Mammoth is on my bucket list.
Bry145
9/17/2018 7:15am
TJMX947 wrote:
Did you drive to North Carolina from Arizona??? I want to make a trip out west at some point, racing at Mammoth is on my bucket...
Did you drive to North Carolina from Arizona??? I want to make a trip out west at some point, racing at Mammoth is on my bucket list.
I moved back home to PA. From PA, Club MX is about 9 hours or so.

I had three tracks within 30 minutes of my place in Phoenix. I miss those days, but not the rat race in the Southwest.

Post a reply to: Parked the dirt bike?

The Latest