Parked the dirt bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/27/2018 11:24 AM

Has anyone else parked the dirt bike and grabbed the mountain bike instead?

Weege said that mountain biking has increased in popularity, likely due to modest cost and increased accessibility compared to moto.

I have a nature park with decent trails 5 minutes from home. Driving up to Switchback Raceway (our local practice spot) is about 1.5 hours each way. We have woods nearby, but I'm more of a moto guy.

I'm riding a Kona Process 134, which is heavy like a tank but goes up about any hill.

The decision is more financial than anything. In the past I have spent nearly every free dime (and then some) riding and racing moto. But I jumped off the corporate treadmill (hamster wheel?) and am now doing enjoyable, low-pressure, blue-collar work. I'm healthier and happier, but am making 1/3 less after tax.

Has anyone else parked the bike for financial reasons?

|

"Thank God my father wasn't rich."
-Hurricane

"You wouldn't take clay to Southwick, so why take sand to Red Bud?"
-DV

"I ride a two-stroke because I am Weigandt-level cheap"
-Me

8/27/2018 11:34 AM

NO! I just got rid of my mountain bike!

|

8/27/2018 11:35 AM

Mountain bike is nice for some mid-week activity, being able to ride without driving 2+ hours and being able to ride with the wife.

But a mountain bike could never replace the fun/excitement of riding a dirt bike, for me.

|

8/27/2018 11:38 AM

Never could I ever park my Moto bike for something I have to pedal.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

8/27/2018 11:46 AM

Rode my dirtbike yesterday for the first time in about a month. During that time I've been mountain or road biking. Fell in love with the dirtbike again. It's not a replacement but the 3 activites compliment each other very very well.

|

8/27/2018 11:47 AM

Parked the DB due to injury and increased my mtb activity as of late. I hate climbing but enjoy the rewards of the decent. Like someone else mentioned nothing replaces MX. Surf, skate, wake, snow, bmx and mtb all shit tons of fun but no, nothing. Atleast for me anyway.

|

8/27/2018 11:47 AM

I do both. Generally Moto/Woods Ride once mid week and once on the weekends while the weather is good. Mountain bike twice a week as well all year around. It’s all relative cost wise though for both sports. You can blow 8-10k pretty quickly on a high end mountain bike, same for the factory edition models. Or you can spend 2-3k on a nice ride in both sports and have just as much fun, I generally throw a 20 in the donation boxes at the mountain bike trails I go to and am a local member of our mountain bike organization that helps maintain trails. So honestly, time wise, I’m more vested in the mountain bikes than I am moto for sure.

They are both expensive hobbies, but nothing compares!

|

8/27/2018 11:48 AM

I do a lot of downhill riding which I find almost as good as mx.
I’m lucky to live in an area where I’m within an hours drive of around 6 uplift centres.

|

8/27/2018 11:56 AM

I started riding MTB for the fitness. That was about 6 years ago, now I ride moto once in a while for a thrill. I still love moto but cycling is so much more convenient. No long ass drive to the track, bicycle hardly needs maintenance, way more fit...

|

8/27/2018 11:57 AM

I'm fortunate to have several really good enduro style MTB areas near me. I've been doing that instead of moto for a while - mostly for financial reasons, but I find that I really enjoy the fitness aspect too. I'm leaner than I've been in many years.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/27/2018 11:59 AM

I parked the dirt bike for a razor scooter and traded in my wife for a blow up doll.

Now I can focus on my video games and vaping.

|

8/27/2018 12:04 PM

I did the mtb thing when i was a kid. Have no desire anymore. Its not even a comparison for me as far as fun factor

|

8/27/2018 12:04 PM

Brad Company wrote:

I parked the dirt bike for a razor scooter and traded in my wife for a blow up doll.

laughing laughing laughing laughing gold!!!!!
|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

8/27/2018 12:13 PM

I don't think MTB is that much less of a financial commitment. If you really wanted to ride you can still do it on a budget with a used bike and hitting the hills or open riding areas.

Bry145 mentioned "riding and racing" - if you did the same level of commitment to MTB it would probably be the same $. Comparing the costs of serious moto racing to a casual MTB hobby isn't an equal comparison IMO.

Kind of unrelated to the topic but here in CA I have noticed a lot more people getting into off-road and dual sport type riding and getting away from moto. Is that just me?

|

8/27/2018 12:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/27/2018 12:26 PM

My most enjoyable mountain bike descent was still not as fun as an average day on the dirt bike. I mountain bike because it's healthy, because my friends do it, and because it can be more convenient. Its fun too. But I do not have MORE fun on a mountain bike.

|

8/27/2018 12:28 PM

MelonFan123 wrote:

I don't think MTB is that much less of a financial commitment. If you really wanted to ride you can still do it on a budget with a used bike and hitting the hills or open riding areas.

Bry145 mentioned "riding and racing" - if you did the same level of commitment to MTB it would probably be the same $. Comparing the costs of serious moto racing to a casual MTB hobby isn't an equal comparison IMO.

Kind of unrelated to the topic but here in CA I have noticed a lot more people getting into off-road and dual sport type riding and getting away from moto. Is that just me?

Last sentence, I see it a lot. 45 mins vs 2 10-12 min motos. Off road stuff like Big 6 is also a lot more laid back and fun. The moto scene isn't quite the same anymore. I still enjoy racing moto but I really liked my first Big6 race. It was a lot of fun.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

8/27/2018 12:52 PM

Each month Transworld Motocross reminds me why I don’t MTB— those bike are more expensive than my race bike!!!

|

8/27/2018 1:22 PM

I got out of mx for years and was into single track mountain biking.
It’s a lot easier to convince a friend to buy a mountain bike and go riding than to drop a few grand on a dirtbike, especially if they’ve never ridden. Right now, both are parked until it cools down

|

8/27/2018 1:30 PM

I quit MX, picked up MTB-ing and have not looked back. No, it's not the same, and cyclists are in general a bunch of weenies compared to motoheads, but it's a much more practical form of recreation and exercise for me. I'm in probably the best shape of my life right now.

|

8/27/2018 1:53 PM

I quit MX a few years back but needed some cardio activity to replace it... Got in the mountain bike scene for about a year or so.. Great trails and parks local. Like the 2 wheels, speed, endurance testing etc.

It only made my craving to get back to MX more intense... Couldn't tell you the last time I have even seen my mountain bike...

Don't be fooled... MTB hobby isn't the cheapest hobby either... But what hobby is? lol

|

8/27/2018 2:19 PM

Moto is fun, but it's incredibly inconvenient where I'm at. Every step of the way the MTB has an advantage. More places to ride, closer, far far less driving involved, and being in the PNW, a lot less to wash and maintain in the wet.

So far, one weekend of moto this year, about 2K miles of pedaling.

|

8/27/2018 2:19 PM

Moto being my first passion (since 1972) I'll always have a dirt bike in the garage however the transition to MTB has really picked up steam over the last 3 years and next year when I'm 60 I'll likely do ride days and off road with my buddies and let the racing go. The value just isn't there.

|

8/27/2018 2:22 PM

MelonFan123 wrote:

MTB is plenty expensive, but if you compare the cost per hour of activity, it is way below moto. No race gas to buy, no engine to maintain, and a lot more time on the bike. It is insane that a bicycle can cost the same as a motorcycle though.

|

8/27/2018 2:25 PM

Theres no way I could quit moto unless I was financially forced to. Dirtbikes are just too much fun

|

8/27/2018 2:30 PM

Also, when you hit the ground it generally hurts less

|

8/27/2018 3:00 PM

Mountain biking has been a go to cross trainer for MX for 25 years....but why park the MX bike?

|

8/27/2018 3:22 PM

Would never park the dirt cycle for financial reasons. Be the last to go. Cutting out longer trips, and racing I could see to reduce costs some. MTB is a great complement to Moto, but if I’m gonna travel far it’s to Moto down 99/100 times.
Checked the DH block this weekend, was padded up and it was pretty intense. Catching air is so weird. Would like to do more but involves travel. Lift ticket $40, bike rental $105. I feel like MTB is more about the hang out in nature and less about the sport. Don’t think I would ever want to be super agro with it and race unlike MX.
Like anything in life mixing it up is key.
Photo

|

8/27/2018 3:36 PM

Sounds like you need two strokes in your life.
Plenty of clean 250 smokers out there for a lot less than a nice mountain bike.

|

8/27/2018 3:54 PM

With my schedule I can only get to the track once every 3 weeks. Luckily we have some pretty good trails some as close as 2.5 miles from my house so I supplement with MTB 3-4 days a week when the trails are open. I did just snap my carbon frame today in half in a crash (luckily warrantied) so I was SOL for about 10 days.
I live at lot closer to the edge on a MTB than my dirt bike. Probably just been doing it a lot longer and the weight of the bike just unspires more confidence for me.

|

8/27/2018 6:38 PM

Brad Company wrote:

G.O.A.T!!!!

|