Paging all moto dads

So I have my first kiddo on the way, boy with a due date of November 5th, wasn't planned but still pretty excited... Anyways, I know I'm thinking a little far ahead here and banking that he'll like dirt bikes but how old were your kids when they started wrenching on their own bikes? I'd love to teach him along the way and don't want to make it become more work than fun but also don't want the little bugger to just treat his stuff like shit thinkin dad will fix it. So what have your experiences been like?
|
3D
7/24/2016 4:28pm
They start "helping" pretty early. Lol. You'll find wrenches all over your bike and screw drivers in every gap. In all seriousness though, my 10 year old just did his first top end on his 85. My 8 year old adjusts his chain and can do other small things. Be patient, Dad.
Fourth_Floor
7/24/2016 4:33pm
Your boy will look up to you and want to do what you're doing once he's old enough. I think my boy was around 1 1/2 - 2 years old when he started picking up wrenches and screwdrivers pretending he's working on his little electric bike when I'm working on mine or he'd pretend he's working on mine right along side me lol. Kids are great, have fun with it and good luck!
crusher773
7/24/2016 6:54pm
You've got to catch them on the right day. My 9 year old some days is all over it wants to get out there and wrench on his bike and ride. Other days not interested in any of it at all. He is more into baseball though. I have got him good at tearing down the Traxxas trucks and doing things on them. I think that has helped him look at things and figure out what he needs to take apart in order to do things. I figure if he messes one of them up its way cheaper and it's not something that could get him hurt. He does stuff on his bike but I watch him like a hawk and double check stuff. He did start early sitting out there acting like he was working on stuff with me though.
mikec265
7/24/2016 7:44pm
My 2 1/2 year old started on his pw50 early this year. He helped me change the carb 2 weeks ago by running off with bolts and banging wrenches on the muffler. I now go for 2-3 jogs a day with a pw50 on a leash. He wants nothing to do with the electric bike. When the field gets cut I'm going to cut the cord.
Last year he wanted us to give him a ride on the big 4 wheeler every day when he woke up. I also used the 4 wheeler rides to put him to sleep when he got cranky and needed a nap.
At 18-19 months he started steering our golf cart.
I have a lot of patience and help him have fun.

I have a nephew 3 months older. He's a work in progress. .. just got a jr50 for him and will have training wheels on tomorrow. He's more scared of stuff because his "guardians" won't get off their asses/phones and play with him. This guy is a year behind on steering the golf cart, power wheels tractor, and potty training. The kid is just as smart as the other one but the difference is the effort of the parents.

I think a lot has to do with how much effort and understanding you put in to it and just have fun and make the most of it.

The Shop

FastGzus
7/24/2016 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2016 8:07pm
My boy is almost two... I don't want his "help" just yet which he's so eager to give but he "helps" any ways. Hopefully he'll "help" me soon look for the T handles he "helped" with. I'm sure they're near the remote he was using to "help" with the TV or near my car keys! Thankfully he hasn't "helped" with my wallet
MR. X
7/24/2016 8:09pm
FastGzus wrote:
My boy is almost two... I don't want his "help" just yet which he's so eager to give but he "helps" any ways. Hopefully he'll "help"...
My boy is almost two... I don't want his "help" just yet which he's so eager to give but he "helps" any ways. Hopefully he'll "help" me soon look for the T handles he "helped" with. I'm sure they're near the remote he was using to "help" with the TV or near my car keys! Thankfully he hasn't "helped" with my wallet
Laughing My little guy is only 6 months but im already preparing myself for the first one of my tools i end up running over with the lawnmower or something.
FastGzus
7/24/2016 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2016 8:22pm
FastGzus wrote:
My boy is almost two... I don't want his "help" just yet which he's so eager to give but he "helps" any ways. Hopefully he'll "help"...
MR. X wrote:
:laugh: My little guy is only 6 months but im already preparing myself for the first one of my tools i end up running over with...
Laughing My little guy is only 6 months but im already preparing myself for the first one of my tools i end up running over with the lawnmower or something.
Unfortunately there's nothing you can do if you're going to have him around while you work! I've found sockets and numerous other small tools after what seemed like hours of red faced searching in empty 5 gallon water bottles, washer and even in my beer fridge. Wouldn't trade that frustration for anything! Well almost anything Laughing
ledger
7/24/2016 8:34pm
I don't have an answer so I'll just say Congrats !
Chains
7/24/2016 8:40pm
I watched an 8 year old replace his cobra motor at sunset ridge a few years ago. Pretty cool!

My kid started doing his filters and dropping the oil around 10, nothing major yet.

SCR
7/24/2016 8:49pm

My grandson changing the main jet at 14 months. Me and him already got a bunch projects planned out starting with restoring his mom's first two wheeler.
kb
7/24/2016 10:06pm
My oldest will be 37 in September, he started when he was 5....
We had some great dices on the track at Pala today-
Enjoy, they grow up fast!
KMC440
7/25/2016 5:38am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2016 5:39am
Granddaughter started using a screwdriver on her barbie cars because they "broke" a few months ago... she turned 2 in June. Cool

Pretty cool ! Woohoo

Have fun teaching him the ropes.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2069th
7/25/2016 8:29am
Mine was riding before he was 4 and did his first top end on his Cobra 50. I hovered around him pretty well and put in his cir-clip but he did the rest.

Post a reply to: Paging all moto dads

The Latest