PW50 vs. KTM 50 Mini

Adams
3/12/2014 5:47pm
My first ever bike was the PW, got me used to stability on a bike, holding myself up, throttle control etc. Wasn't too quick that if I shot off someone couldn't run after me before I hit something. Would highly recommend going PW first, then moving on once the young one is comfortable.
3/12/2014 7:35pm
My dad put me on a pw50 first. 2 weeks after I learned how to ride a bike by myself. Raced a whole season on it and then went to a cobra. This was like 1993. lol.

I'd go with a pee-dub without training wheels after he/she can ride a bicycle on her own.
kevkx125
3/12/2014 8:46pm
My dad put me on a pw50 first. 2 weeks after I learned how to ride a bike by myself. Raced a whole season on it...
My dad put me on a pw50 first. 2 weeks after I learned how to ride a bike by myself. Raced a whole season on it and then went to a cobra. This was like 1993. lol.

I'd go with a pee-dub without training wheels after he/she can ride a bicycle on her own.
I agree with this.
Gilletty
3/13/2014 3:07am
Stay the hell away from the KTM adv.. N'uff said. If a kid wants to race and he is 4 - pay attention FOUR years old...
Stay the hell away from the KTM adv.. N'uff said. If a kid wants to race and he is 4 - pay attention FOUR years old he must be put on a highly wound 2 stroke withOUT training wheels. He MUST be able to ride a bicycle WITHOUT training wheels and his Dad needs to not be an ass. Training wheels only hinder in our game and you can mitagate the "hit" of a real bike with clutch stacks. I spent roughly $12,000.00 in the 50 years because I am an idiot (just read my past posts and you will agree). I am an idiot because I stayed KTM. They broke all the FUCKING time. I should have gone Cobra mini then King Cobra. A little racer - one that Dad wants to race - needs to be outfitted with something that can handle Dad telling him that he should hit that 40 foot double. The little bikes can make that double - but not all of them can handle the landing. Point being. Start with quality and great support at a resonable price. The PW's are a waste of riding years in my opinion. Why would you put a kid on a putter then say "hey you should go fater - here's 12,000 rpm". It just scares the kid and messes with his development as a rider.
Strange as we never had a single problem with the adv, pro senior or the 65.

The Shop

BBA
3/13/2014 3:09am
My dad put me on a pw50 first. 2 weeks after I learned how to ride a bike by myself. Raced a whole season on it...

I agree with getting them comfortable on a pedal bike first. My 3yo is learning how to jump his bicycle before mx...........well kinda anyway lol.

alphado
3/13/2014 4:45am
KTM 50s were sent here by the devil.
hvaughn88
3/13/2014 4:45am

BBA wrote:
I agree with getting them comfortable on a pedal bike first. My 3yo is learning how to jump his bicycle before mx...........well kinda anyway lol. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/13/48210/s1200_100_6886.jpg[/img]...
I agree with getting them comfortable on a pedal bike first. My 3yo is learning how to jump his bicycle before mx...........well kinda anyway lol.

Thanks for posting up the pictures. That right there is what it's all about. Little man getting to spend time with dad. Even the spills are great memories!
1/29/2016 11:50pm
Stay the hell away from the KTM adv.. N'uff said. If a kid wants to race and he is 4 - pay attention FOUR years old...
Stay the hell away from the KTM adv.. N'uff said. If a kid wants to race and he is 4 - pay attention FOUR years old he must be put on a highly wound 2 stroke withOUT training wheels. He MUST be able to ride a bicycle WITHOUT training wheels and his Dad needs to not be an ass. Training wheels only hinder in our game and you can mitagate the "hit" of a real bike with clutch stacks. I spent roughly $12,000.00 in the 50 years because I am an idiot (just read my past posts and you will agree). I am an idiot because I stayed KTM. They broke all the FUCKING time. I should have gone Cobra mini then King Cobra. A little racer - one that Dad wants to race - needs to be outfitted with something that can handle Dad telling him that he should hit that 40 foot double. The little bikes can make that double - but not all of them can handle the landing. Point being. Start with quality and great support at a resonable price. The PW's are a waste of riding years in my opinion. Why would you put a kid on a putter then say "hey you should go fater - here's 12,000 rpm". It just scares the kid and messes with his development as a rider.
My boy is 2 and is on a peewee just to get his head around everything I'm no expert but did want to put to much into it so quick I don't get how you say it's a wast of riding years still get a lot from a peewee
Roscoe33
1/30/2016 4:24am
PW-50 to learn on
KTM-50 to race on

kids don't "grow" into bikes like shoes, don't buy the KTM SR. thinking your saving money.
1/30/2016 5:10am Edited Date/Time 1/30/2016 5:11am
Buy clutches and stators in six pack quantities if you go with KTM.

If you want your kid to watch you wrench on the bike more than he rides it, KTM.

If he is not able to keep the clutch locked up, air circulating through the radiators on the KTM you will see the following occur:

1) Clutch generating excessive heat from slippage.

2) Engine overheating from combination of clutch heat and lack of air flow.

3) Stator failure from excessive heat .

4) Engine seizure from excessive heat.

They run good with a competent rider who can ride it fast enough to keep the clutch engaged / locked up and air flowing through the radiators.

Stop and go, throttle blipping beginners are sure to see some of, if not all, the chain of events listed above.

KTM = Keep Two Machines or Keep Two Mechanics.

If you want something reliable, that will stay running without 30 minute maintenance intervals, buy any PW/CRF/TTR 50 before KTM
Crash82
Fantasy
2187th
1/30/2016 5:26am
Some folks want their kids to have fun, some folks want their kids to be MX super stars the latter kids won't be having fun. What kind of bike they need depends on the kid, let them have fun and let the kid decide how fast they should ride. let them ride a bicycle for a while for sure, let them dream of having a motor for a while.
mmcmx
1/30/2016 5:49am
When the pros put their kids on PW's, you know thats the way to go...
shuggs
1/30/2016 6:13am
mmcmx wrote:
When the pros put their kids on PW's, you know thats the way to go...
It is the safest way to go for young ones, learn to ride on PW then move up when THEY are ready
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
1/30/2016 6:39am
I too have been through this. Here is my opinion, which you may have to adjust as your kid develops... PW>KTM Jr>KTM Sr>KTM 65. Personally I would steer clear of cobras. What ever nimrod suggested their suspensions are better, is in his own words, an idiot.
fins227
11/13/2017 8:32pm
Anyone have experience with the DRR DB50? Particularly with the new Beta engine models. With only a few differences between the JR and SR it looks like a low cost option, But without ANY customer reviews/opinions Im not sure what i would be getting myself into!

What I really wanna know is what kind of maintenance hours I'm looking at compared to other 2 stroke 50s
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
11/14/2017 12:12am
PW50 and tell him to have fun. When he can ride the wheels off it you can sell it for probably exactly what you bought it for. I don't want to sound all preachy but my advice is tell him to just ride for fun. One of my good friends who's a full blown moto-head used to give his son advice on how to ride better and what he was doing wrong every single time the poor kid rode the bike. "Brake later, get on the gas sooner, lean back, lean forward, elbows up, attack the track, get your leg out in the turns, stand up on the straights, get up on the tank in the corners" and on and on and on. He meant well but he sucked out all the fun for the kid and eventually he lost interest in riding altogether. Just tell him to have fun, he's got his whole life to get fast. Not trying to tell you how to raise your son, just sharing what happened to my friend. Our kids were a year apart, by the time they were on 85's my son didn't want to go to the track with them anymore unless I went because "It's like being in school, I just want to ride" Sorry for the unwanted parental advice, have fun LaughingLaughing
Rockinar
11/14/2017 1:57am
sumdood wrote:
PW50 and tell him to have fun. When he can ride the wheels off it you can sell it for probably exactly what you bought it...
PW50 and tell him to have fun. When he can ride the wheels off it you can sell it for probably exactly what you bought it for. I don't want to sound all preachy but my advice is tell him to just ride for fun. One of my good friends who's a full blown moto-head used to give his son advice on how to ride better and what he was doing wrong every single time the poor kid rode the bike. "Brake later, get on the gas sooner, lean back, lean forward, elbows up, attack the track, get your leg out in the turns, stand up on the straights, get up on the tank in the corners" and on and on and on. He meant well but he sucked out all the fun for the kid and eventually he lost interest in riding altogether. Just tell him to have fun, he's got his whole life to get fast. Not trying to tell you how to raise your son, just sharing what happened to my friend. Our kids were a year apart, by the time they were on 85's my son didn't want to go to the track with them anymore unless I went because "It's like being in school, I just want to ride" Sorry for the unwanted parental advice, have fun LaughingLaughing
Thats great advice and all, but the OPs kids have all graduated high school since this threat was posted..,...
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
11/14/2017 8:38am
Rockinar wrote:
Thats great advice and all, but the OPs kids have all graduated high school since this threat was posted..,...
aaaahhh man.....the internet is hard

11/14/2017 6:02pm
Rockinar wrote:
Since this thread was posted Cobras have won every national championship.....

Post a reply to: PW50 vs. KTM 50 Mini

The Latest