PULPMX- Star Yamaha Bike Test

haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
3/3/2020 5:07pm
Ray_MXS wrote:
Regardless if this was cool with Steve or not, it's quite clear that Keefer really wanted to ride that bike and I really wanted to hear...
Regardless if this was cool with Steve or not, it's quite clear that Keefer really wanted to ride that bike and I really wanted to hear what he thought of it. I respect Keefers opinions on stuff.

Steve gives Star Yamaha radio time EVERY show.
Worth nothing apparently, just saying.
brimx153 wrote:
Or Star give s steve radio time every time . Pod casts work both ways . Steve need s the riders and teams more than they...
Or Star give s steve radio time every time . Pod casts work both ways . Steve need s the riders and teams more than they need pulp imo
So what is Steve supposed to do? Pretend everything is rainbows and lollipops everywhere even when its not to make sure he doesnt damage the fragile ego's of people in the industry? Wow that sounds like a show im keen to listen too.

Steve told it how it was when Star Yamaha sucked. They had the last carb'd 250 in the paddock, they had a stream of unsuccesful riders in both classes and they were the bottom ranking Lites team in the paddock, evidenced by the likes of Tickle and Will Hanh who himself left to get titles on other brands. Steve said all that when it was true. The truth now is the bike is the best in the paddock and the envy of every other factory team in the states. Guess what, that's exactly what Steve has been saying.

If this Brad dude has his nose out of joint from 2010 then that's his problem and his perogative, and he just got a fair chunk of bad press because of it. Steve's doing his job.
Highflier
3/3/2020 7:29pm
brimx153 wrote:
Steve spent year s apon years giving out about Star ,jeering Star . Now that Star are doing well want s to test there bike...
Steve spent year s apon years giving out about Star ,jeering Star . Now that Star are doing well want s to test there bike . I guess someone just remembered .
Star was a bit of a shit show for many years prior to 2015 or so.
They were notorious for firing riders after the first year regardless...
They mowed thru Team Managers...
The 'Observations' were pretty accurate...

That's the appeal of Matthes, he says what is well known in the pits, but not known to the rest of us.
He will also compliment people or teams when they pull it together or do well.

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
3/3/2020 7:56pm
I can’t believe this is a thing.
LungButter
3/3/2020 8:09pm
"So what is Steve supposed to do? Pretend everything is rainbows and lollipops everywhere even when its not to make sure he doesnt damage the fragile ego's of people in the industry?"

That's exactly what Swap does so I guess if Steve wants to ride the Star bike he should follow suit 🤣

The Shop

CASH476
3/3/2020 8:14pm
tobz wrote:
Fuck star, I was a fan of Ferrandis but since Brad wants to be a fuckwit I'll root for anyone else but those bikes. And tbh...
Fuck star, I was a fan of Ferrandis but since Brad wants to be a fuckwit I'll root for anyone else but those bikes.

And tbh I've never seen anything from swap moto and won't look for it after this, I get enough content between pulp and vital. And they haven't named their website after their own name Dry

Thumbs down if you agree.
Some times I think people in "the industry" underestimate the Pulp Network and the pulp fans. If 5 people buy something else because of this Brad...
Some times I think people in "the industry" underestimate the Pulp Network and the pulp fans.

If 5 people buy something else because of this Brad guy...was it really worth it?

If I was Steve I would be talking to Kehoe on getting a red bike to ride for next year. RD5 is out so there should be a spare one.
As bummed as they probably are, I'm pretty sure that Pulpmx also appreciates the 3 bikes? that Yamaha supplied for Pulpmx Fantasy as well as his own bike enough to not make it a big deal.
shortcourse
3/3/2020 8:29pm
haydos25 wrote:
So what is Steve supposed to do? Pretend everything is rainbows and lollipops everywhere even when its not to make sure he doesnt damage the fragile...
So what is Steve supposed to do? Pretend everything is rainbows and lollipops everywhere even when its not to make sure he doesnt damage the fragile ego's of people in the industry? Wow that sounds like a show im keen to listen too.

Steve told it how it was when Star Yamaha sucked. They had the last carb'd 250 in the paddock, they had a stream of unsuccesful riders in both classes and they were the bottom ranking Lites team in the paddock, evidenced by the likes of Tickle and Will Hanh who himself left to get titles on other brands. Steve said all that when it was true. The truth now is the bike is the best in the paddock and the envy of every other factory team in the states. Guess what, that's exactly what Steve has been saying.

If this Brad dude has his nose out of joint from 2010 then that's his problem and his perogative, and he just got a fair chunk of bad press because of it. Steve's doing his job.

It would be nice to hear this guy Brad's side of the story too, it might shed some light on this.

Just maybe the guys at Swap Moto have also been asking to test the bike just as long or longer than the Pulp guys...

And it might a just be a miss commutation.
Timo_2824
3/4/2020 3:48am
Keefer is definitely the guy most wanted to review the bike, this Brad guy could have just said no Steve. I'm sure he would have been fine to just let Kris go ride it and post the bike review on PulpMX. Definitely a bad decision. I'm also surprised at the response from industry insiders being shocked people cared about this. Just because they don't think highly of Steve doesn't mean his brand isn't a powerhouse in MX media. The six month buildup wasn't just for Steve and Kris, it was also for all of the listeners who just got snubbed by Brad.
Francis377
3/4/2020 5:27am
if these comments represent the average pulpmx fan, I want out .
stremme12
Fantasy
3648th
3/4/2020 5:29am
Francis377 wrote:
if these comments represent the average pulpmx fan, I want out .
Ask Steve for a refund.
davistld01
3/4/2020 6:11am
Listening to the ranting and raving on that episode, I just wonder if Keefer's vocabulary is limited to just the word "fuck". Seems like he can't complete a sentence without it.
Hudd_421
3/4/2020 7:26am
davistld01 wrote:
Listening to the ranting and raving on that episode, I just wonder if Keefer's vocabulary is limited to just the word "fuck". Seems like he can't...
Listening to the ranting and raving on that episode, I just wonder if Keefer's vocabulary is limited to just the word "fuck". Seems like he can't complete a sentence without it.
Yeah, he definitely doesn't know how to intelligently communicate...It's a wonder how Factory Honda, Yamaha, Ride Engineering, and on down the line hire him repeatedly for his ability to effectively communicate how the bike is reacting....
Bramlett321
3/4/2020 7:40am
brimx153 wrote:
Steve spent year s apon years giving out about Star ,jeering Star . Now that Star are doing well want s to test there bike...
Steve spent year s apon years giving out about Star ,jeering Star . Now that Star are doing well want s to test there bike . I guess someone just remembered .
Highflier wrote:
Star was a bit of a shit show for many years prior to 2015 or so. They were notorious for firing riders after the first year...
Star was a bit of a shit show for many years prior to 2015 or so.
They were notorious for firing riders after the first year regardless...
They mowed thru Team Managers...
The 'Observations' were pretty accurate...

That's the appeal of Matthes, he says what is well known in the pits, but not known to the rest of us.
He will also compliment people or teams when they pull it together or do well.

Steve Matthes reports what he sees plain and simple. He doesn't sugar coat it, when someone or a team is doing bad he will report that, when they are successful he reports and goes above and beyond in that regard. Star can hate on him or love him for reporting the truth all they want.

If Donn didn't know about the test, I guarantee you Anton knew and he should have said something about it.
davistld01
3/4/2020 7:41am
davistld01 wrote:
Listening to the ranting and raving on that episode, I just wonder if Keefer's vocabulary is limited to just the word "fuck". Seems like he can't...
Hudd_421 wrote:
Yeah, he definitely doesn't know how to intelligently communicate...It's a wonder how Factory Honda, Yamaha, Ride Engineering, and on down the line hire him repeatedly for...
Yeah, he definitely doesn't know how to intelligently communicate...It's a wonder how Factory Honda, Yamaha, Ride Engineering, and on down the line hire him repeatedly for his ability to effectively communicate how the bike is reacting....
Well...communicating on bike settings is one thing, but communicating to other intelligent, mature & sophisticated human beings in front of a microphone is another thing altogether. Pretty sure there were kids listening, and although I'm no prude, that's not acceptable and Matthes should have checked him during a break to tone it down, IMO.
Hudd_421
3/4/2020 7:44am
davistld01 wrote:
Hudd_421 wrote:
Yeah, he definitely doesn't know how to intelligently communicate...It's a wonder how Factory Honda, Yamaha, Ride Engineering, and on down the line hire him repeatedly for...
davistld01 wrote:
Well...communicating on bike settings is one thing, but communicating to other intelligent, mature & sophisticated human beings in front of a microphone is another thing altogether...
Well...communicating on bike settings is one thing, but communicating to other intelligent, mature & sophisticated human beings in front of a microphone is another thing altogether. Pretty sure there were kids listening, and although I'm no prude, that's not acceptable and Matthes should have checked him during a break to tone it down, IMO.
HAHAHAHAHA all while using the "Fuck Wil Hahn" drop? Yeah. I'm sure Steve was worried about censoring his best friend FOR THE CHILDREN!!!
Bramlett321
3/4/2020 7:59am
Hudd_421 wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA all while using the "Fuck Wil Hahn" drop? Yeah. I'm sure Steve was worried about censoring his best friend FOR THE CHILDREN!!!
I'd have to agree with you....children do not need to be listening to this podcast or any adult oriented podcast period.
deluxeman
3/4/2020 8:05am
It certainly isn't our fight to fight, BUT, it was stated by more than a few people on more than a few occasions that Pulp would get to ride the bike. Yamaha needed to make good on that promise. It looks bad for Yamaha to have this be a running segment on the show for months, and then just pull the rug out from underneath Pulp. Yamaha got a lot of free, fun press from this running gag. Now it is negative press and Pulp will test, and promote another Brand and team's bike(s).

Steve has to be a bit careful here because he is a BlueCru guy and his show gets lots of support from Yamaha. He is smart enough to not shit where he eats, or you would hope so. This is the problem with being beholden to companies like this. You cannot really tell the whole true story for fear of reprisal and them taking their money elsewhere.

It is a slippery slope to navigate for sure. I am not sure if this will affect bike sales in any measurable way, so I say lesson learned and move on. If Yamaha doesn't want to honor their agreement that's on them and now we can all make a more informed decision on whether you want to support them or not.

C.Worthy
3/4/2020 9:23am
davistld01 wrote:
Well...communicating on bike settings is one thing, but communicating to other intelligent, mature & sophisticated human beings in front of a microphone is another thing altogether...
Pulp MX is definitely not for kids and it’s not their job to make it “kid friendly” if that isn’t their target audience. That’s on the parents for letting their kids listen.
face biter
3/4/2020 11:13am
This seems all blown out of proportion, I’m sure they’ll get their turn eventually.
mxtech1
3/4/2020 6:37pm
The adult version of being crushed like when 8 year old you didn’t get to ride your friends sweet new BMX bike even though he said you could ride it first.
RMT
3/4/2020 8:56pm
Let me get this straight, Yamaha sales are going to dip because some old dude that previously was a magazine editor rode a highly modified race bike before another old dude who was a mechanic and now has a podcast?

The Horror!
Premixed112
3/4/2020 9:03pm
What did say about Brad in the past? Anyone know?
3/4/2020 10:32pm
Geez Keefer carries on. Prefer he didn’t drop the F-bomb every sentence. It’s like he’s a 43 year old 19yr old.
Googoo dolls wtf!
Tonynz
3/4/2020 11:54pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2020 12:00am
Geez Keefer carries on. Prefer he didn’t drop the F-bomb every sentence. It’s like he’s a 43 year old 19yr old.
Googoo dolls wtf!
If you actually new, or have meet Keefer you would know he is one of the most genuine people you could ever meet.
Actually, just thinking maybe I am a 55 year old, 19 year old. 🤣
smoothwakey
Fantasy
200th
3/4/2020 11:55pm
davistld01 wrote:
Hudd_421 wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
You said it yourself davistld01, they are different situations. One he is communicating his expertise in a corporate environment i.e OEMs etc, in this setting I'm sure he rarely swears, if at all. The other he is giving his opinion on an internet radio show that is aimed at adults and frequently features adult themes including but not limited to swearing, drinking and talk of debauchery.

The adult themes are usually presented in a way that would in most cases be suitable for children to listen to provided there is an "intelligent, mature & sophisticated" adult around to provide context for the child. The exception to this is Keefer After Dark, before this segment they explicitly say, do not listen to this with your kids.

There are very few words which are inherently offensive (discriminatory slurs are obvious exceptions) usually the offence comes from the way they are used. It is pretty fucked when people try to change they way others express themselves just because they would choose their words differently, IMO.
CASH476
3/5/2020 12:30am
As Keefer would say, some of you guy's need to chill the fuck down!

It's an adult podcast, don't listen to it with your kids.

Post a reply to: PULPMX- Star Yamaha Bike Test

The Latest