PR... DeCoster Appointed U.S. Motorsport Director KTM/Husqvarna; Harrison Promoted

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
DE COSTER APPOINTED U.S. MOTORSPORT DIRECTOR KTM/HUSQVARNA; HARRISON PROMOTED

KTM is delighted to announce that motocross icon and overseer of the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing AMA Supercross and Motocross team in the United States, Roger De Coster, will continue to be a part of the massively successful operation in Murrieta, California.

The Belgian has put pen to paper on a multi-year agreement and a new role for the KTM Group. De Coster will be ‘Motorsport Director KTM/Husqvarna North America’ and retain a more strategic and senior position in all of KTM and Husqvarna’s USA racing activities.

Ian Harrison has been Roger’s ‘right hand man’ and key collaborator for a number of years – certainly since 2011 when De Coster first came to KTM – and has also renewed his position with the KTM Group to become de facto Team Manager of the Red Bull KTM MX/SX squad and Technical Director of the KTM/Husqvarna efforts in the United States.

The De Coster/Harrison link was largely fundamental in the reorganisation of KTM’s sporting arm in high profile Supercross and Motocross circles at the start of the decade. The pair were instrumental in forging a close link with R&D in Mattighofen, Austria and elevating the race team to the position of champions.

Ryan Dungey’s signature was key as was development of outstanding talent such as Ken Roczen and Marvin Musquin; KTM went on to toast titles and milestones in every AMA division. Recently, the alliance with Aldon Baker’s training regime only strengthened the KTM Group’s status and ensured the finest resources towards the current and next generations.

De Coster: “I can still remember now when people said I was crazy to join KTM. It has almost been ten years but it shows that when a company is as serious and dedicated about their racing as the KTM Group are then many things are possible. I’m happy to again sign with them and to continue working with them to extend my long story in this sport. We have achieved a lot together and I don’t feel that the ‘fire’ is dimming or my motivation to keep this team and factory at the top of the sport is any less as the first day I wore the orange shirt. I’d like to thank Mr. Pierer, Pit and all the guys who work so hard to allow us to be where we want to be.”

Harrison: “Time has passed so quickly and it feels like we have done so much since we started to look at how and where we could be better back in 2011. I don't think we could have imagined all the trophies and red plates we’ve collected, even if the ambition to do so was very strong then and has not faded in all this time. We went through the Dungey era and have seen the development of Marvin to a bona fide Supercross title contender. We’re not stopping and it’s exciting to think about where we can go next.”

Robert Jonas, Vice President KTM Offroad: “Having Roger and Ian as the solid backbone of our supercross and motocross division in the United States has paid back so much to the company. Believing and backing those guys the best way we can has allowed for some superb success in some of the biggest and most competitive motorcycle racing series’. Keeping them as part of the family and depending on their experience and wisdom was very important to us, so I’m really pleased to be talking about this new contract. I want to congratulate Ian, he is now leading the Red Bull KTM team and this is the least he deserves after so much work and dedication over the years. We will continue to plan and, hopefully, continue to reach our goals on American soil.”
|
Adam43
8/31/2018 1:19pm
Interesting, they are wise to keep him in the fold. I wonder what the extent of his duties will be.

Ian is a natural fit.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
8/31/2018 1:28pm
Gibby, a better click bait would have been “DeCoster Out as Red Bull KTM Team Manager” lol!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/31/2018 1:32pm
Graybeard wrote:
Gibby, a better click bait would have been “DeCoster Out as Red Bull KTM Team Manager” lol!
Fortunately, I'm not here for the clickbait. Wink

The Shop

davistld01
8/31/2018 2:03pm
deluxeman wrote:
Nice cushy job for Roger!!!!!
He deserves it.

Now, get Dungey in as Brand Ambassador!
olds cool
8/31/2018 2:13pm
Congrats to both. Looks like The Man "ain't done yet"! He is the Energizer Bunny of this industry if there ever was one.
PTshox
8/31/2018 3:02pm
Makes sense for Rodger to not be on the road with the team every weekend. Looks like KTM is taking care of him and allowing him to stay involved. You don't see this kinda class in the corporate world much. KTM is showing all of us they are a classy organization.
ledger
8/31/2018 3:28pm
What a great promotion and birthday gift from KTM/Husky. Can't go wrong if you have The Man in your corner, also happy that he's not going home to the recliner.
sandman768
8/31/2018 4:12pm
Attention Suzuki Mortor Corp: this is how you do it........
jeffro503
8/31/2018 5:11pm
Quick question : Will the duties of picking the MXoN's team next year fall on Ian now?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/31/2018 5:24pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Quick question : Will the duties of picking the MXoN's team next year fall on Ian now?
I doubt it, Roger as head of USA MXdN hasn't changed when he moved from Honda to Suzuki, or Suzuki to KTM...so I can't see why this move would change that at all.
plowboy
8/31/2018 5:39pm
Roger was about ready to retire back in 2008/9 when the bottom fell out. He lost his ass in the real estate fiasco. Was only gonna hang with KTM till he got flush. I guess the gig is so good he forgot about retirement. He'll retire when they show up at his office with a hearse to haul away his carcass. His addiction to the sport is incurable and we are all luckier for it. Congrats to Roger and Ian.
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
8/31/2018 6:01pm
I still expect something more of a permanent role for Dungey coming along.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/31/2018 6:15pm
So... where are all the guys that “Stamped it” that Dungey would take over after Roger was done being team manager ?
C’mon, there were several that were arguing with me about this......
Natester551v
8/31/2018 6:18pm
plowboy wrote:
Roger was about ready to retire back in 2008/9 when the bottom fell out. He lost his ass in the real estate fiasco. Was only gonna...
Roger was about ready to retire back in 2008/9 when the bottom fell out. He lost his ass in the real estate fiasco. Was only gonna hang with KTM till he got flush. I guess the gig is so good he forgot about retirement. He'll retire when they show up at his office with a hearse to haul away his carcass. His addiction to the sport is incurable and we are all luckier for it. Congrats to Roger and Ian.
Didn't Albertyn have something to do with that? I could be wrong...memory is a funny thing...?
plowboy
8/31/2018 6:33pm
plowboy wrote:
Roger was about ready to retire back in 2008/9 when the bottom fell out. He lost his ass in the real estate fiasco. Was only gonna...
Didn't Albertyn have something to do with that? I could be wrong...memory is a funny thing...?
I got my info from Roger. He was non-specific on details. He did not mention any names about who advised/directed his investments. I have heard the rumors but that's all they are at my level. The real tragedy in all this is how little the past stars and champions got paid back in the day.
plowboy
8/31/2018 6:36pm
langhammx wrote:
So... where are all the guys that “Stamped it” that Dungey would take over after Roger was done being team manager ? C’mon, there were several...
So... where are all the guys that “Stamped it” that Dungey would take over after Roger was done being team manager ?
C’mon, there were several that were arguing with me about this......
I don't know if I argued about it with you but I did believe he would at least have a place on the team in some capacity.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
9/2/2018 2:56pm
Correct me if iim wrong and i could sounds like an idiot here... But does this mean he will be stepping away from the KTM mx and sx team and more focusing on the company all together?
In that sense i mean, Do we see him still heavily involved with Musqin at the track and Training... or will Aldon Baker being stepping in that kinda roll now?
plowboy
9/2/2018 3:28pm
Correct me if iim wrong and i could sounds like an idiot here... But does this mean he will be stepping away from the KTM mx...
Correct me if iim wrong and i could sounds like an idiot here... But does this mean he will be stepping away from the KTM mx and sx team and more focusing on the company all together?
In that sense i mean, Do we see him still heavily involved with Musqin at the track and Training... or will Aldon Baker being stepping in that kinda roll now?
I would guess that Ian will assume Rogers duties. Aldon is a separate deal. What Roger does at this point is a mystery to me. As a "director" I'd assume that's more of a marketing/bean counter position. But this could be one of those "optics" corporate moves. The downside of publicly pushing him out vs paying him to do nothing. On the other hand he may have a greater level of input than ever. Time will tell.
9/2/2018 3:36pm
Correct me if iim wrong and i could sounds like an idiot here... But does this mean he will be stepping away from the KTM mx...
I may be wrong on this but I don't think Roger is/was heavily involved in the every day riding and training. Obviously he'd watch the test sessions in California and give input but I don't think he was down in Florida overseeing everything Musquin did. I think that responsibility falls on Aldon.

Like I said I may be completely wrong on this, I have no inside knowledge whatsoever.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
9/2/2018 3:41pm
I may be wrong on this but I don't think Roger is/was heavily involved in the every day riding and training. Obviously he'd watch the test...
I may be wrong on this but I don't think Roger is/was heavily involved in the every day riding and training. Obviously he'd watch the test sessions in California and give input but I don't think he was down in Florida overseeing everything Musquin did. I think that responsibility falls on Aldon.

Like I said I may be completely wrong on this, I have no inside knowledge whatsoever.
Yeah ive seen the man in a few vids where he was there ensuring all procedures where followed, bike testing and sitting dwon going through lap times.

But I know at race meets he is heavily involved, even with bike prep. I watched an interview and he goes over each riders bikes prior tor aces to ensure there set to go! which i find super impressive!

So does this new roll take him away from the racers and more time at head office? He is really close with musqin, from a mentor to off track talk.
plowboy
9/2/2018 4:26pm
There was no part of the race that Roger didnt/wouldnt have a hand in. I've seen him sweating his ass off driving stakes for the team tarp set up, walking the track for hot lines, spotting from the tower, and getting stopped every 10 feet to talk to fans...(me included). He never refused to talk but he often said, "let's walk and talk". From what I've seen of Roger...if you work for him...you are gonna WORK....but he never forgot that the fans are the life blood of the sport.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
9/2/2018 4:39pm
plowboy wrote:
There was no part of the race that Roger didnt/wouldnt have a hand in. I've seen him sweating his ass off driving stakes for the team...
There was no part of the race that Roger didnt/wouldnt have a hand in. I've seen him sweating his ass off driving stakes for the team tarp set up, walking the track for hot lines, spotting from the tower, and getting stopped every 10 feet to talk to fans...(me included). He never refused to talk but he often said, "let's walk and talk". From what I've seen of Roger...if you work for him...you are gonna WORK....but he never forgot that the fans are the life blood of the sport.
agree on this and seen it 1st hand!

So does this new roll take him away from the track and pretty much just based at head office?
Jerkolantern
9/2/2018 11:30pm
plowboy wrote:
Say what? Elaborate please.
plowboy
9/2/2018 11:47pm
plowboy wrote:
Say what? Elaborate please.
Which part? Roger was thinking of retiring when the real estate market crashed and he lost a lot of money. The short term KTM deal was more successful/enjoyable than he probably imagined so didn't retire. I was joking about him dying on the job. Smile

Post a reply to: PR... DeCoster Appointed U.S. Motorsport Director KTM/Husqvarna; Harrison Promoted

The Latest