PNW tracks really lacking lately?

Maybe it's just me but I'm getting really bored with the tracks around here. Stale layouts and some pretty weak schedules this year too.

Washougal - went super heavy on race dates this year minimal practice days and most of my friends don't race.

Ward creek - says a sch is coming Yay great when? It's friggin may all ready. Remember when they'd have a sch way before this and run in April.

Orv Gray's - stale layout current dudes running it don't know track prep - didn't start until may this year. Place could be awesome if it was finally totally dozed and rebuilt from scratch. Some of the big tables are close to 20 years old or more.

Sir / pacific - wrote this place off years ago owners maybe even county apparently wouldn't let Lance make changes. Now supposedly he's out and devol is taking over.

Opmc - fun but a club track must be full up on membership this year limited open practice days. Would consider joining if I was on that side of the peninsula.

Motowest - sckechy schedule quick to cancel seems like they play second fiddle to the car guys.
Sch usually blows 90% Wednesday practice days only a couple of weekends practice days. Used to be more open couple years ago what's changed?

Hrmc/horn - been doing good since going private make small changes here n there. But like some of the other tracks a bit stale in design. Like the 3 jumps after you enter the track. Been like that since at least 01. It could use a new layout maybe change it from clockwise to counter and change the jumps up.

Riverdale - this place is only really good for more winter time than summer. The sandy silt is good for that. But layout is stale the main track lacks flow and everything else lacks challenge. Compared to the old Riverdale it's not even in the same league. Other than being open year round and 7 days a week. Bout all it has going for it. And it's also starting to get it's squid crowd like pacific. It needs a redo.

Mt view - not familiar with this one as much but they are doing something. All though people hated the wood chips bs from last year.

Albany - not sure it looks like it's gone mid week practice days occasionally race weekend and a weekend practice occasionally here n there. From what I see it too has a stale layout. I haven't been since 04 and it's still familiar.

Airway - too far for me to go often ridden it some it's okay at best. Still pretty much the same as it has been.

I-90 mx - only went once in 19 in January and it was a mud fest. Hearing rumors it's reopening?? But not in the same spot.

I know I've left some others out like some of the oregon tracks I'm not super familiar with. And what happened to tracks having whoops and rhythm sections like a 6 pack? Washougal is like the only track with a whoop section currently. Opmc has one off n on.

Would think the pro's and hard core racers around here would want some more change ups. Stale tracks = stale skills.

|
JazzyJJ
5/5/2022 11:33am
Pretty much agree across the board. Also super annoying how they cancel even with the threat of rain at most of the tracks. This is the PNW, why are we canceling if it rains? Also, save the stupid woodchips. Those sections become such a clusterfuck with riders going all over the place and mismatched lines.

I thought I heard that i-90 was going to be in the same spot but different operator and new layout. Details haven't been abundant but through the facebook rumor mill it sounded like they were reworking the layout and hoping to pen shortly. Of course it's going to be crazy hot over there starting mid June and they will have issues keeping things watered, so I'll wait until the fall to give it a try.
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2001st
5/5/2022 11:41am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2022 11:43am
EC Mx in Lewiston and 541 Mx in Medford both look good but I haven’t been.

Eugene is fun but you’d probably call it stale and their season is almost over.

High desert is fun when it’s been watered by Mother Nature but it’s normally lazily watered and not worth the drive.

I enjoy Albany, they’ve already started their Wednesday practices for the season. They have whoops.

Mtn view ruined their track with kiddling, I wish it was chip but it’s straight up chunks of tree they got for free from storm clean up being chipped, should have been sent to the paper mill not a track. I won’t pay to ride there any time soon, was horrible last summer, did 4 laps and left.

Wish PIR had practice days, think they only had two last summer and was triple digit heat both times.

Pats acres has potential but it’s narrow and lacks flow, jammed, would be better if they plowed half the jumps but I’ll still hit it a few times this summer, it’s a cool place.

That back track by the drag strip at riverdale is my style, I feel like the main track has huge features and doesn’t really pair with the riders there but rarely go there.

Seems like washougal always ends up having spur of the moment off the schedule practices, normally not enough notice for me since it’s a 3hr drive.

I hit woodland a couple times this winter and thought it was great.

Just my opinions.
5/5/2022 11:48am
Burnt ridge is still forsale and it's still zoned for mx use. Only reason it closed was the owners got tired of running it. I would reopen it strictly as a practice track and do the llc thing the oak harbor guys did.
mwssquad827
5/5/2022 11:55am
You should pumped you have that many track available to ride/race!! Just saying

The Shop

PNWMXer
5/5/2022 12:03pm
Burnt ridge is still forsale and it's still zoned for mx use. Only reason it closed was the owners got tired of running it. I would...
Burnt ridge is still forsale and it's still zoned for mx use. Only reason it closed was the owners got tired of running it. I would reopen it strictly as a practice track and do the llc thing the oak harbor guys did.
If Burnt Ridge reopened you’d have to pry me away from there…loved that place.
5/5/2022 12:04pm
Oh I forgot it's a privilege to ride these places you sound like all the complacent dudes around here. Afraid to say something like the track is gonna just close the next day.

If these tracks operated like this especially with the glacial track changes say in so cal. They'd be getting ripped new ones all the time if they were down there.

AgileMike
5/5/2022 12:04pm
Don't know if it counts as PNW but Boise has two tracks that are great. OMC and Skyline. OMC is a member track so only open for public practice on select days, but Skyline is open the everyone and has watered practice 3x times a week
MDana87
5/5/2022 12:07pm
Community MX (CMX) is opening at the former I-90 location. Chad, whose busting his ass to get it open starting next weekend (May 14/15), shares many of your same opinions - especially the stale layouts bit. I expect stale layouts won't be a thing at CMX. Hopefully you can make it out there at some point and give it a go.
5/5/2022 12:07pm
Off topic with PNW cause I live in Dallas. But I feel like when I was a kid growing up racing in the Houston area tracks were always open from sun up till sun down. In Dallas they only seem to be open Saturday and Sunday from like 10-3.
5/5/2022 12:18pm
MDana87 wrote:
Community MX (CMX) is opening at the former I-90 location. Chad, whose busting his ass to get it open starting next weekend (May 14/15), shares many...
Community MX (CMX) is opening at the former I-90 location. Chad, whose busting his ass to get it open starting next weekend (May 14/15), shares many of your same opinions - especially the stale layouts bit. I expect stale layouts won't be a thing at CMX. Hopefully you can make it out there at some point and give it a go.
Definitely will I would have hit i-90 more if layout is good then often.
Dirt.Squirt
5/5/2022 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2022 12:26pm
I’ve been over horn for a few years now I’ve just rode it too much as it’s my home track. The dirt is great but the layout has been the same for atleast ten years but atleast the jumps do change sometimes.

I90 is reopening for sure. Their first day back is may 14/15 and it’s in the same location as it always has. New name is community Mx park (CMX) I am soooo pumped for that as it was my favorite track in 18 and 19 **EDIT Looks like this was already mentioned**

Moto X haven looks to be getting close to opening as well

I miss alderdale toes and mabton the most though

And there’s always the “bike pit” 🤣🤣
5/5/2022 12:29pm
Bring back TOES
I remember when toes was more a word of mouth thing and pretty much only one big track. I missed that like 10 pack rhythm the killer whoops. Steve aka toes at least that's where the name came from? Steve had some toes grafted onto his right hand for fingers.

Sky river mx Longview mx Alderdale all rip. That one track up by Spokane nearly Idaho.
Racing the arenacross series and the first round being at some outdoor track in early November.
5/5/2022 12:54pm
Mt view is the worst track in the PNW, bar none
It used to be with all that bark on it but towards the end of last season it got worked in and broken down and the track was actually pretty good!
5/5/2022 12:55pm
AgileMike wrote:
Don't know if it counts as PNW but Boise has two tracks that are great. OMC and Skyline. OMC is a member track so only open...
Don't know if it counts as PNW but Boise has two tracks that are great. OMC and Skyline. OMC is a member track so only open for public practice on select days, but Skyline is open the everyone and has watered practice 3x times a week
I wouldn't classify Boise as PNW for us folk from Portland/Vancouver area. Boise is like 7 hours away Sad
IanMac138
5/5/2022 1:17pm
Really wish Pats Acres would step up their game. Tons of potential but way too tight, flow is suspect and they can't seem to build proper jumps and put dumb little jumps or obstacles in weird areas that have me scratching my head.

I've been loaded up several times en route to ride Mtn View, when they post at 8am that practice is canceled. Major buzzkill.

I'm always looking at the huge, beautiful open fields around West Linn where I live and man...trying to figure out how to get a piece of some of it and build my own track. It's getting hard to justify $40 fees for tracks that bore the shit out of you up here.
LungButter
5/5/2022 1:21pm
It's more Inland Northwest than Pacific but the track in Lewiston, ID is legit. Uphills, downhills, fun jumps.

I haven't been since late February but I saw on the socials that he got a rock rake so it's probably prime now.
Johnny Ringo
5/5/2022 1:23pm
As many have mentioned, RIP Alderdale. National caliber track. Only made it like a year.
mwssquad827
5/5/2022 1:34pm
Oh I forgot it's a privilege to ride these places you sound like all the complacent dudes around here. Afraid to say something like the track...
Oh I forgot it's a privilege to ride these places you sound like all the complacent dudes around here. Afraid to say something like the track is gonna just close the next day.

If these tracks operated like this especially with the glacial track changes say in so cal. They'd be getting ripped new ones all the time if they were down there.

No I sound like a guy that has to drive 2 hours to the nearest tracks.. and by that I mean there is 2 tracks within a 4hr one way drive..

Ps stop bitching and join a board or start your own track and see how easy it is to change track layouts and make perfect prep every time your open for practice..
5/5/2022 1:43pm
Oh I forgot it's a privilege to ride these places you sound like all the complacent dudes around here. Afraid to say something like the track...

No I sound like a guy that has to drive 2 hours to the nearest tracks.. and by that I mean there is 2 tracks within...
No I sound like a guy that has to drive 2 hours to the nearest tracks.. and by that I mean there is 2 tracks within a 4hr one way drive..

Ps stop bitching and join a board or start your own track and see how easy it is to change track layouts and make perfect prep every time your open for practice..
2 easy sometimes 3 your point ain't nobody disputing the effort or costs. It's the lack of effort has become more so apparent lately. There was more variety in layout design. Where now its like this is the track still the same jumps as 2012.
Skerby
5/5/2022 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2022 1:52pm
A track that is less than 100 miles away can easily be a 5+ hour drive depending on where you live out here. I live close to OPMC and its not feasible for me to ride anywhere else in the state besides bremerton, but because of late weekday schedule it takes almost three hours because of traffic.

I agree with you that people bitch about track prep too much, that's especially true in the PNW.

RIP Toes and the Ridge
OldManIdaho
5/5/2022 1:50pm
EC Mx in Lewiston and 541 Mx in Medford both look good but I haven’t been. Eugene is fun but you’d probably call it stale and...
EC Mx in Lewiston and 541 Mx in Medford both look good but I haven’t been.

Eugene is fun but you’d probably call it stale and their season is almost over.

High desert is fun when it’s been watered by Mother Nature but it’s normally lazily watered and not worth the drive.

I enjoy Albany, they’ve already started their Wednesday practices for the season. They have whoops.

Mtn view ruined their track with kiddling, I wish it was chip but it’s straight up chunks of tree they got for free from storm clean up being chipped, should have been sent to the paper mill not a track. I won’t pay to ride there any time soon, was horrible last summer, did 4 laps and left.

Wish PIR had practice days, think they only had two last summer and was triple digit heat both times.

Pats acres has potential but it’s narrow and lacks flow, jammed, would be better if they plowed half the jumps but I’ll still hit it a few times this summer, it’s a cool place.

That back track by the drag strip at riverdale is my style, I feel like the main track has huge features and doesn’t really pair with the riders there but rarely go there.

Seems like washougal always ends up having spur of the moment off the schedule practices, normally not enough notice for me since it’s a 3hr drive.

I hit woodland a couple times this winter and thought it was great.

Just my opinions.
Go to EC MX in Lewiston...it will be worth your drive!! Fantastic, safe track with a layout that is good for slow to fast and everything in between.
Dirt.Squirt
5/5/2022 4:14pm
I can vouch for ECMX badass place. Even better now that they got a rock rake i assume
chasetwo79
5/5/2022 4:49pm
Off topic with PNW cause I live in Dallas. But I feel like when I was a kid growing up racing in the Houston area tracks...
Off topic with PNW cause I live in Dallas. But I feel like when I was a kid growing up racing in the Houston area tracks were always open from sun up till sun down. In Dallas they only seem to be open Saturday and Sunday from like 10-3.
This is literally my biggest peeve at the California tracks. Even in winter they close at like 2 or 3. Growing up in the Southeast (and Texas) tracks used to be open till 5 it seemed.
PC
5/5/2022 5:01pm
Go to EC MX in Lewiston...it will be worth your drive!! Fantastic, safe track with a layout that is good for slow to fast and everything...
Go to EC MX in Lewiston...it will be worth your drive!! Fantastic, safe track with a layout that is good for slow to fast and everything in between.
How is Fossil bowl? Ever been?
FIREfish148
5/5/2022 5:53pm
Take a break man. I’m getting back into it and it’s kind of nice to go to a track I haven’t ridden in 20 years and have the same layout Grinning I’m looking forward to riding Hannegan and PA the most.
As far as places like Ward creek I couldn’t imagine them changing the layout too much to make it better with the way the hills are.
dtl210
5/5/2022 6:11pm
Go to EC MX in Lewiston...it will be worth your drive!! Fantastic, safe track with a layout that is good for slow to fast and everything...
PC wrote:
How is Fossil bowl? Ever been?
Fossil Bowl is awesome when it's prepped, but it's rarely prepped. Even when it is they're let it get to blue groove and then put water down which turns it into a skating rink. Still my favorite track around though.
PNWMXer
5/5/2022 8:10pm
AgileMike wrote:
Don't know if it counts as PNW but Boise has two tracks that are great. OMC and Skyline. OMC is a member track so only open...
Did Skyline used to be called Pleasant Valley?

Post a reply to: PNW tracks really lacking lately?

The Latest