@PING

Related:
dpingree101
12/1/2019 12:35pm
Sully wrote:
Important-est question in the thread; is there going to be a test/video footage of the ‘88 RM in this week’s column photo?
Important-est question in the thread; is there going to be a test/video footage of the ‘88 RM in this week’s column photo?
That belongs to Scott Burnworth, who was nice enough to let us use it for a shoot.
ledger
12/1/2019 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2019 3:18pm
Ping On Tap...Serving The Moto Community Since ??? for your column ? Kind of a spin off from your Whiskey Throttle show, lol.
kkawboy14
12/2/2019 5:49pm
Ping: now that you don’t have to walk on eggshells like a Ninja, What do you feel is broken and what do you feel is right in Pro Racing these days?
JayBraap19
12/14/2019 12:00am
Ping-
Do you ever reminisce about the 90’s and early 2000’s when watching the guys now days?

I don’t even race or really follow the sport anymore, but the other day I randomly re-lived the moment when between my motos, I watched pastrana send his 125 about 50 feet into a MASSIVE set of mogul style whoops at the Las Vegas World Mini Grand Prix while leading the school boy class on the first lap. It was the most badass thing because everyone else was trying to skim them or just doubling through. I think Millsaps was the second guy to attempt it, but no one could touch Travis.

Everyone was wearing those foam neck rolls that zip tied to their HRP chest protectors and had those bitchin’ custom back plates with their name in some crazy font and color.

Back when James Stewart and his dad were pitting out of a white box van and a dirty old Team Green EZ-Up, and I got to say hello to Jeremy McGrath after he checked himself into his suite at the MGM Grand the night of Las Vegas Supercross.

There were so many great things that I got to experience early in my short career racing. I feel like I peaked when motocross had really hit its stride.

Racing back then felt more like an extended family get together, where everyone hung out between motos, parts were shared, and everyone was laid back. Now you go to the track and it looks like a SEMA show with all the expensive lifted trucks and you haulers with full factory support just for little Joey to turn a few practice laps on Saturday. It really turned me off from wanting to race at a local level anymore.

I will always love the sport for what it is, but those days were so inspiring. It’s hard not to compare everything now to what it used to be (apples to oranges, I know). I feel like that magic “sparkle” that I once saw in our sport has faded. Everything is so serious now, including the local level of riding. I don’t mind the suit and tie style we have arrived at now, but I can’t help but think back to those days and think what it might be like if things were different.

The Shop

crowe176
12/18/2019 12:06pm
Dear Ping: I found Andrew Despain on Instagram. He looks to still be a broken man. YOLO
12/18/2019 7:22pm
crowe176 wrote:
Dear Ping: I found Andrew Despain on Instagram. He looks to still be a broken man. YOLO
He went DNF-7-5 with the broken arm. Not bad at all! Another great episode, Ping. Nice show.
Hal_Simpson
12/21/2019 2:14pm
JethroX wrote:
Didn’t claim to have it all figured out ...and there are some blatantly obvious facts here. But this is not about me Ping. There are posts...
Didn’t claim to have it all figured out ...and there are some blatantly obvious facts here. But this is not about me Ping. There are posts here by both people stoked that you’ve moved here AND calling your BS out. Even DC chimed in to clarify what he was told (by you). It’s a perfect opportunity for you to come clean and save some face. Are you going to take the ‘act 12-year-Old route?’ ...or take responsibility like a man?

You’re at another crossroad Bro. ...my experience is that most people are quite forgiving of those who swallow their pride and take responsibility. Sooner rather than later.
DC wrote:
Jethro, not sure who are you are nor why in three career posts you have lit Ping up all three times, but this is not a...
Jethro, not sure who are you are nor why in three career posts you have lit Ping up all three times, but this is not a great big deal, it's a columnist who did a great job at one outlet for a long time, and will do a great job here. Calling out his manhood and challenging his pride and character over a tonque-in-cheek advice column that simply moved to another site is a bit much...

DC
Racer X
JethroX wrote:
I went off on Ping because he talked crap on one who should have been his good friend - Matthes, and then lied about not doing...
I went off on Ping because he talked crap on one who should have been his good friend - Matthes, and then lied about not doing it. (He responded to my post on Racer X) Then he lied about the situation leaving your Racer X. Maybe you’re okay with it because you deal with people or situations like this all the time? ...but I feel a sense of loyalty to Racer X and PulpMX for all you’ve both done for the sport I love and took issue with it. Perhaps because I liked and agreed with most of what Ping said over the years and was bummed by some of his recent bad moves. Disloyalty is an epidemic, but it happens and I get it. I was also not questioning his manhood, I was questioning his childish behavior. There is a difference. Calling him out in hopes that he stepped up for his own good. Would like to see him clear the air with you guys. It has nothing to do with me. So if you’re okay with that DC, then all good. I’m just an observer.
It would be nice if you went back to observing.....
High_bend
12/27/2019 7:06am
How much for a Ping vs. Mathes cage match? Funds go to Road to Recovery?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
12/27/2019 8:26am
High_bend wrote:
How much ya got?
12/30/2019 8:40pm
High_bend wrote:
GuyB wrote:
How much ya got?
Guy b versus Davie for the undercard?
mxmaniac
1/7/2020 4:23am
@ping Did you think A1 was slower more technical than previous events? I know there is so many comments that they need to slow the speeds down and wondered if you thought there was an improvement?
dpingree101
1/7/2020 5:31pm
CivBars wrote:
He wouldn't know
Well, I'm a 45 year-old man so I don't spend much time partying with 20-something kids and trying to be "bros". Back in my twenties... that was another story. But there was no social media or video cameras on every phone, so you could do pretty much anything without it being recorded. Temecula is definitely the hub of the sport still.
bad juju
1/22/2020 6:41pm
when is the next police, fire fighter race day ride. my brother is a fire fighter could I slip in with him? thanks.
slipdog
1/27/2020 7:23am
Would you please start posting in the main forum again? It's been kind of boring without you there the last few weeks and I feel like for the price of membership around here I should get more entertainment. Thanks a bunch!
Moto Norcal
1/27/2020 1:18pm
Not to be a party-pooper, but how does a guy blasting "Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha" over a bullhorn on the Whiskey Throttle show, then conduct objective tests of Yamaha versus other products? Aren't you afraid Yam would pull sponsorship of the show if you gave one of their bikes a bad review?
dpingree101
1/28/2020 4:43pm
Not to be a party-pooper, but how does a guy blasting "Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha" over a bullhorn on the Whiskey Throttle show, then conduct objective tests...
Not to be a party-pooper, but how does a guy blasting "Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha" over a bullhorn on the Whiskey Throttle show, then conduct objective tests of Yamaha versus other products? Aren't you afraid Yam would pull sponsorship of the show if you gave one of their bikes a bad review?
How does any magazine do it? Every brands advertises, so nobody has any credibility, by your definition. I've been testing bikes and giving honest reviews for 16 years... I like to think each manufacturers knows that I'll give genuine feedback, regardless of any separate partnerships I have outside of my media responsibilities. In short, no, I'm not afraid.
dpingree101
1/28/2020 4:44pm
slipdog wrote:
Would you please start posting in the main forum again? It's been kind of boring without you there the last few weeks and I feel like...
Would you please start posting in the main forum again? It's been kind of boring without you there the last few weeks and I feel like for the price of membership around here I should get more entertainment. Thanks a bunch!
lol. I'm going to watch from the outside for a bit. I'll see about getting you a refund. Wink
Moto Norcal
1/28/2020 9:57pm
Not to be a party-pooper, but how does a guy blasting "Yamaha, Yamaha, Yamaha" over a bullhorn on the Whiskey Throttle show, then conduct objective tests...
How does any magazine do it? Every brands advertises, so nobody has any credibility, by your definition. I've been testing bikes and giving honest reviews for...
How does any magazine do it? Every brands advertises, so nobody has any credibility, by your definition. I've been testing bikes and giving honest reviews for 16 years... I like to think each manufacturers knows that I'll give genuine feedback, regardless of any separate partnerships I have outside of my media responsibilities. In short, no, I'm not afraid.
You're not a magazine with full-page ads from every manufacturer. You're more like a feisty start-up- which I am all behind. Your explanation boils down to "trust me", which I am willing to do. I guess I'll have to consider where Yam starts placing in your shoot-outs. I'lll give you the benefit of the doubt. Grinning
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/29/2020 2:21pm
lol. I'm going to watch from the outside for a bit. I'll see about getting you a refund. Wink
We always cheerfully refund the full price of admission here.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/29/2020 2:22pm
You're not a magazine with full-page ads from every manufacturer. You're more like a feisty start-up- which I am all behind. Your explanation boils down to...
You're not a magazine with full-page ads from every manufacturer. You're more like a feisty start-up- which I am all behind. Your explanation boils down to "trust me", which I am willing to do. I guess I'll have to consider where Yam starts placing in your shoot-outs. I'lll give you the benefit of the doubt. Grinning
Where have they finished the last couple of shootouts? Unless it's the same as the last few, it's only downhill from there.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/29/2020 4:20pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Free Ping!
With the purchase of one of equal or greater value.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
1/29/2020 8:17pm
Ping, do not be afraid of the main forum board...you have more support than you know. Just smash it.
BobbyM
1/30/2020 10:59am
GuyB wrote:
We always cheerfully refund the full price of admission here.
Cheerfully? 👀❤️
TogaSet
Fantasy
3906th
1/30/2020 9:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2020 9:43pm
Ping. Have you realized yet what a mistake you made
going against your better judgement and coming around to hang out with this loser crowd? Smart guy like you should of known better.
JJO741
Fantasy
3037th
2/1/2020 2:12am
Did this already shut down?
dpingree101
2/1/2020 3:49pm
How does any magazine do it? Every brands advertises, so nobody has any credibility, by your definition. I've been testing bikes and giving honest reviews for...
You're not a magazine with full-page ads from every manufacturer. You're more like a feisty start-up- which I am all behind. Your explanation boils down to...
Feisty Start-up? GuyB would have to confirm, but I think Vital has been here for well over a decade.
kijen
2/2/2020 12:36pm
Ping, you obviously know a lot of people in the sport, can you please take the feld producer, Ralph, RC out for a beer, be honest with them, they really dont need to introduce the sport of SX to noobies every sat nite, pretty sure there are not many. During the mains can they please just call the race. No features, no behind the scene crap, just focus on the race, thank you!

Post a reply to: @PING

The Latest