PACEMAKERS AND RACING

Mr. Info
Looking for info from any of the older guys if they have had a pacemaker installed and they went back to riding or racing. I know what the Doc will say. Lol Thanks
|
Sparky_27
8/10/2018 1:14pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Looking for info from any of the older guys if they have had a pacemaker installed and they went back to riding or racing. I know...
Looking for info from any of the older guys if they have had a pacemaker installed and they went back to riding or racing. I know what the Doc will say. Lol Thanks
Hi

My brother had a pace maker fitted last year, though he don't race anymore. He still rides.
Done 2off off road motorcycling holidays. One in Far East and the other in Madagasca with no problems.
Also does the odd Honda enduro days in the UK.

Mark
8/10/2018 1:20pm
Mr. Info is looking for info. Classic.

They will probably put you on blood thinners for a short time. I wouldn't ride with those in your system, any sort of trauma can go bad fast. I'm sure you could still ride after that though.

I'm just thinking out loud and I don't know this for certain, but if they install a defibrillator too I wouldn't think it would be wise to ride, since your heart rate would be getting really high and the defibrillator could shock you while riding.
socalmx716
8/10/2018 2:03pm
I'm 36 years old, had my pacemaker implanted last year. Doctor cleared me to ride/race do whatever I wanted after 6 weeks, I got to ride a couple times but unfortunately shortly thereafter I developed other heart complications which put me back on blood thinners indefinitely so now I am sidelined until I possibly get a heart transplant one day most likely. Sold my brand new Yz250f last year.

Point being, if you simply have a pacemaker you can ride/race per my doctor those things are practically indestructible. But if you are on blood thinners for any reason i would strongly advise against it.
captmoto
8/10/2018 6:07pm
Pacemakers generally work to keep the heart from slowing down so speeding up shouldn't be a problem if you are otherwise healthy and not on blood thinners. Doctors knee jerk reaction to anything motorcycle related is no. You need to get a thorough explanation as to why. People ride after breaking their backs and necks and after severe internal injuries. In the end it's on you though there may be insurance issues you should look into.
Good luck.

The Shop

kkawboy14
8/10/2018 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2018 6:20pm
I have a defibrillator, don’t really need the pacemaker part of it. My problem was Sudden Cardiac Arrest, my heart stopped. As long as I’m not on blood thinners I ride!
Mr. Info
8/11/2018 8:14am Edited Date/Time 8/11/2018 8:16am
Thanks. Just a pacemaker for a resting heart rate to low.
And I have researched it quite a bit but the best information comes from those having one installed already.
flomiester
8/15/2018 6:15am
Im on blood thinners and still ride i was racing vintage 6 years ago on blood thinners and broke my femur i realize the fact that i may not survive a injury some day but i also get in a car every day with the same possibility or could just drop dead for no apaent reason im 61 years old whats life if your not living it .

Post a reply to: PACEMAKERS AND RACING

The Latest