Over 35 No Jumping Class?

yz133rider
12/26/2018 10:02pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 10:29pm
I think im going to try to hit one or two sprint enduros this upcoming year.

Too many people seem to have forgotten what motocross is supposed to be and want it to look more like am outdoor supercross. Turn jump turn jump jump jump
Moto should be about the terrain, picking good lines, fitness, cornering, braking bumps, off cambers, not just jumps.

And big jumps are one thing for an experienced rider on a well prepped day but the dangers go up exponentially when you factor in other unpredictable riders all of varying skills, rutted faces, kickers etc. Seen far too many people leave in helicoptors over the years.

Its funny too how many can jump and scrub even but then come to a sandy rutted corner and stall or tip over like its their first time riding.
barnett468
12/26/2018 10:41pm
steed 2.0 wrote:
It look so easy... but, in the meantime... it takes so many hours of practise... blood sweat and tears.

barnett468 wrote:
Is that you in the video? .
Is that you in the video?

MJC wrote:
Matty Philips, Aussie enduro legend
Ok thanks. He is blazing fast, very cool.

What part of oz are you in? I have a lot of friends there as I have shipped numerous vintage Mustangs over there over the years.

ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
12/26/2018 11:31pm
+35 shouldn't be jumping anything anyways...

just kidding, had to say it though TongueTongueTongue
When I was 20, I didn’t get why those old guys even bothered to ride. I see it differently now.
chump6784
12/27/2018 2:02am
I can't believe that this is even a thread. Part of moto is jumping. If you can't or won't do a jump, roll it. If you are worried about being landed on move to the edge of the track when you roll it. To have a separate class for guys who can't jump is a bit pathetic.

The other alternative is vintage moto. Those tracks are more natural terrain with much smaller jumps similar to the tracks that were around when those bikes were built.

I'm 35 next year, run my own business as a sole trader and it requires physical work. If something happens to me, and it has, my business shuts down. People tell me to quit moto, take up trail riding or something. I went trail riding, he a rock and got kicked sideways, ended up with my foot jammed between my clutch cover and a tree. Took nearly a week before I could walk properly again. I'll take jumps any day

The Shop

BR8ES
12/27/2018 6:51am
Don't wanna jump, then stay right and roll 'em. Make up time in corners and such. I like jumps and natural style tracks.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/27/2018 7:14am
bama205 wrote:
Hell, at 27 with two kids and a provider for my family in a blue collar trade Wont jump hardly anything. Big jumps, fast bikes etc...
Hell, at 27 with two kids and a provider for my family in a blue collar trade Wont jump hardly anything.

Big jumps, fast bikes etc.

All have contributed to the downward spiral.

Loved them before, however.
I'm with you 100% dude! I'm 28 with a wife and two kids and a new house. Jumping 80+ feet really isn't what I want to do anymore. Tabletops are one thing depending on how they are built, but peaked out jumps and doubles/triples aren't really on my to do list anymore. Probably why I've wanted to go trail riding and ride our desert track with no jumps but filled with breaking bumps and ruts so much lately.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/27/2018 7:17am
TeamGreen wrote:
Yes, there is an "Over 35 No Jumping" class.

It's called "Over 50".

And that's the class I race.

Laughing
Graybeard wrote:
Can I down vote this Manny?!?! I've gone bar to bar with some 60 year olds in the 55+ class that will absolutely send it on...
Can I down vote this Manny?!?! I've gone bar to bar with some 60 year olds in the 55+ class that will absolutely send it on you, and I have to admit, I like the pressure! But if I'm not feeling an 80% chance of success, I'll just keep working up to it, until I know I can give it a go and most likely make it!
TeamGreen wrote:
I was bein a smart-ass... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/26/313411/s1200_137CC82A_0284_4DD2_9254_AC907F36223F.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/26/313410/s1200_20A62087_82BA_440A_9DA1_12B9F804D1B2.jpg[/img] I love a good jump in my Moto
I was bein a smart-ass...

I love a good jump in my Moto
Manny, do you know or have you seen Joe Pena?
12/27/2018 7:32am
I would argue the ruts and breaking bumps in straightaways at high speed can be more dangerous than many jumps.
yz133rider
12/27/2018 8:00am
I would argue the ruts and breaking bumps in straightaways at high speed can be more dangerous than many jumps.
Yeah u can argue but youd be wrong...how many leave in a helicopter from bumps or ruts vs a jump?

Ever see a track shut down mid practice and ask around to see what happened? Its always "what jump was it on?" Not ,"what bump was it on?"
#RZRNick
12/27/2018 8:16am
This thread makes sense, some Millennial's are now 35 years old... Haha

This is motocross, and usually racing Vet guys is the most fun for me (39 years old) because we all have jobs. If a guy in the Vet class is beating me due to a jump, I think deserve to lose. Little 16 year old Jimmy, well, he has different priorities.

Let's keep it real, 9 out of 10 times the Vet class is about fitness, as we usually drop the anchor after 5-7 minutes and a 1.5 second advantage per lap due to a jump isn't everything.
barnett468
12/27/2018 8:26am
Myke wrote:
I raced the OTMX novice class last year at Perris (track that arguably has the most jumps in socal) and I only did 3 of the...
I raced the OTMX novice class last year at Perris (track that arguably has the most jumps in socal) and I only did 3 of the like 15 jumps on the track and I was able to win by a decent margin so you don't have to jump to be competitive in the slower classes as long as you have some corner speed. I don't really care to race but a friend of mine kept asking so I did one. First race in 20 years and I haven't done another one since because I just prefer to ride.

"I raced the OTMX novice class last year at Perris (track that arguably has the most jumps in socal) and I only did 3 of the like 15 jumps on the track and I was able to win by a decent margin so you don't have to jump to be competitive in the slower classes as long as you have some corner speed."

This is EXACTLY what I did with when I raced the big track at Perris with OTHG and TWMX, with the exception that I only rolled over 4 of them, and that was literally at around 3 mph. I went much faster over the ones that were table tops. I certainly didn't like having to go that slow over a jump, but I would take that any day over the other option of not riding at all.

barnett468
12/27/2018 8:37am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2018 8:40am
I agree 100%, so lets suggest that they not only eliminate those big ol' nasty jumps, but also those life threatening bumps and ruts. I think they should also limit the amount of hp a bike can have so one doesn't accidentally give it too much throttle and wheelie over backwards. These things will also save people a ton of money cuz they will no longer need to have 14 inches of travel with super whazoo suspension parts made from prefabulated amulite, or run that expensive VP race gas etc!

barnett468
12/27/2018 8:52am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2018 10:21am
chump6784 wrote:
I can't believe that this is even a thread. Part of moto is jumping. If you can't or won't do a jump, roll it. If you...
I can't believe that this is even a thread. Part of moto is jumping. If you can't or won't do a jump, roll it. If you are worried about being landed on move to the edge of the track when you roll it. To have a separate class for guys who can't jump is a bit pathetic.

The other alternative is vintage moto. Those tracks are more natural terrain with much smaller jumps similar to the tracks that were around when those bikes were built.

I'm 35 next year, run my own business as a sole trader and it requires physical work. If something happens to me, and it has, my business shuts down. People tell me to quit moto, take up trail riding or something. I went trail riding, he a rock and got kicked sideways, ended up with my foot jammed between my clutch cover and a tree. Took nearly a week before I could walk properly again. I'll take jumps any day
"To have a separate class for guys who can't jump is a bit pathetic."

oh my...it looks to me like you just implied that guys that can't, or don't, want to get even 3" of air on a motocross track are PATHETIC. I suggest you now brace yourself to try and withstand the mighty (weak) rath of Kahn (he or she goes by another name here), whom fancies themself as the self appointed Sheriff of the forum and defender of all that is good and true in this world!

OMG...I think I just got a hernia!

Jimmy638
12/27/2018 10:02am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I went to a no jumping race. It was called a hare scramble.
And i hear that Flat track racing is popular too.
If you don't like to jump your in the wrong sport. grab one of those other Nationally known Motorcycling sports and try it, don't bring the"No Jumping" to a sport that requires you to Jump.
wisey
Fantasy
1341st
12/27/2018 10:36am
Fascinating to read this thread to hear others concerns. I just recently got back into track riding after a 15 year break, I've never been anything special.

I am far more concerned about fist turn pileup, other people, bouncing out of inside rut, high speed out side railer, or losing it in a straight roller section than coming up short on any of the jumps at tracks in So Cal (except Elsinore main track)

Glen Helen -Taladega

Glen Helen -Making the left turn after coming down Mt Saint Helens

Washougal -Rutted, shadows Horse Power Hill

This makes my palms sweat.

Motocross ?
ob
12/27/2018 7:18pm
This is fucking cracking me up
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
12/27/2018 7:52pm
chuck317 wrote:
might as well ride in your yard
I know a guy with a track in his yard. It has jumps. Lots of them.
McG194
12/27/2018 8:02pm
No idea why anyone would be against a class like that.

If you like jumping why would you want to be on the same track as someone that wasn't jumping?
Landing on someone would suck.
If you aren't comfortable jumping why would you want to be on a track with guys jumping over you?
Getting landed on would suck.

As far as it creating too many classes you folks are dopes.
The worst thing to happen to the sport would be for it to grow and for participation to go up. SMH
12/27/2018 8:06pm
What do you guys think about a single file start class for those that are afraid of starts?
TeamGreen
12/27/2018 8:33pm
What do you guys think about a single file start class for those that are afraid of starts?
Special Test style like at the ISDE.

NICE
ama530
12/28/2018 7:40am
yz133rider wrote:
Yeah u can argue but youd be wrong...how many leave in a helicopter from bumps or ruts vs a jump? Ever see a track shut down...
Yeah u can argue but youd be wrong...how many leave in a helicopter from bumps or ruts vs a jump?

Ever see a track shut down mid practice and ask around to see what happened? Its always "what jump was it on?" Not ,"what bump was it on?"
Actually you might want to talk to Michael Byrne after he broke his leg in a rut at Unadilla in 2013.
yz133rider
12/28/2018 7:50am
yz133rider wrote:
Yeah u can argue but youd be wrong...how many leave in a helicopter from bumps or ruts vs a jump? Ever see a track shut down...

ama530 wrote:
Actually you might want to talk to Michael Byrne after he broke his leg in a rut at Unadilla in 2013.
You had to reach back to 2013 to try to prove this point?
LoudLove
12/28/2018 8:39am
Smaller jumps, maybe? A course which reduces the consequences of on-track errors? We'll call it a "Vet Course"! Yeah, that's the ticket.

Our sport and industry have both taken hits as the motorcycling demographic continues to age. Older riders have both the interest and disposal income to keep tracks afloat, but the abandonment of MX will continue as tracks become increasing difficult to navigate.

Does this approach advocate making MX "easier"? Absolutely, but not universally. The end-goal isn't about who can clear the gnarliest gaps; it's about keeping the sport alive, and that requires $$$. In Texas, XC events are on the rise, siphoning many former (and potential) riders/racers from MX. Track owners who develop user-friendly courses can lure older riders who have grown weary of rolling jumps and constantly looking over their shoulders, waiting for Johnny Throttle to "send it".
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
12/28/2018 8:52am
For those that don’t want to risk life/limb on today’s modern tracks, try looking into vintage racing. The majority of the clubs will offer a modern class so you can still ride your 10K KTM factory replica on a more natural Terrain style track. That being said I have no problem with a “no jumping” class....of course I’m 59 so to me big jumps were when I got 6’ in the air on a Honda Elsinore
barnett468
12/28/2018 9:09am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2018 9:10am
yz133rider wrote:

ama530 wrote:
And Bob Hannah broke his leg water skiing and there were no ruts there.

nealb129
12/28/2018 9:15am
I thought things might slow down and get boring towards the end of the year on this site. But between this thread and the “striking distance” argument in the Jason Anderson thread I’m pleasantly surprised.... carry on
ama530
12/28/2018 9:16am
yz133rider wrote:

ama530 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
5 years is so long ago? Time is irrelevant when it comes to history. It is also our greatest resource of things to learn from.
barnett468
12/28/2018 9:32am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2018 9:37am
ama530 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
ama530 wrote:
5 years is so long ago? Time is irrelevant when it comes to history. It is also our greatest resource of things to learn from.
You are correct, and what we have "learned" from the rut debate is that at this particular moment, we know of just one person out of all the riders in the world that have ever ridden motocross, one of them actually broke their leg in a rut, and because of his we should eliminate ruts now too.

Hey Barn...I wonder how many people have also been "stuck in a rut".

Post a reply to: Over 35 No Jumping Class?

The Latest