Outside sales rep in industry

Tyler_Coff303
7/25/2021 7:47am
Nairb#70 wrote:
Just keep in mind that the dealership network is the LAST place you will gain experience for a position with a manufacturer. The dealership is the...
Just keep in mind that the dealership network is the LAST place you will gain experience for a position with a manufacturer. The dealership is the manufacturers customer, and opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of perspective. If you went to an OEM 'position with a dealership mentality, you wouldn't get in the front door. Manufacturers care about one thing : empty warehouses. Most district and regional sales managers for OEM's don't even ride. And to do their jobs correctly they don't even have to. Unfortunately, the powersports industry is nothing like what you would expect from the perspective of an enthusiast. Any idea that you may have that makes sense would get a laugh from a so called "Industry Executive." Proceed with caution..
RMT wrote:
I disagree with every single sentence you wrote and have found it to be completely opposite of what you describe.
Falcon wrote:
Me too. I've worked for two OEMs, including one as an outside sales rep. That one hired me because, quote, "...And you have dealership experience, so...
Me too. I've worked for two OEMs, including one as an outside sales rep. That one hired me because, quote, "...And you have dealership experience, so you know exactly how to handle those guys."

At the OEM level, expect a company car and comped meals. You will be expected to drive a lot, depending on your territory, and may get one office day per week. Lots of nights and some weekends away from home. The cool part is you'll get to see all the cool new stuff before it's announced, get free stuff from distributors, and probably travel in the US and maybe globally. The 2nd OEM sent me to Japan twice. It's pretty cool to work in the industry.

Would you be open on speaking oh the phone? I have a few questions maybe you could help me out with.
Tyler_Coff303
7/25/2021 7:49am
I work for one of the "Big 3" distributors in our industry, we are W-2 Statutory. I imagine the same across the board for the other...
I work for one of the "Big 3" distributors in our industry, we are W-2 Statutory. I imagine the same across the board for the other 2. Have benefits, 401k, health etc that's where the W-2 part comes in. The statutory is the "1099" half. If your accountant knows what he is doing you can write off your brand new bike, mileage, etc.

I can't picture myself in a different industry. Yes, it can get tough, but when you go to work everyday and not hate your life it's worth a smaller check sometimes.
Would you be willing to speaking in the phone? I have a few questions maybe you could help me out with
SCC
7/25/2021 8:41am
If you have to do something 60hrs/wk do something you enjoy regardless of pay. There are a total of 60 jobs in the motocross industry outside of being a rider. Move on and stop trying. You have zero chance of unless you are well connected to those already in the sport.
7/25/2021 2:03pm
SCC wrote:
If you have to do something 60hrs/wk do something you enjoy regardless of pay. There are a total of 60 jobs in the motocross industry outside...
If you have to do something 60hrs/wk do something you enjoy regardless of pay. There are a total of 60 jobs in the motocross industry outside of being a rider. Move on and stop trying. You have zero chance of unless you are well connected to those already in the sport.
I disagree. My first job in the industry was for an OEM, and I just applied to a job in the back of Cycle News because I hated my job in banking. 20 years later, I love my job, have a beautiful home and family (and a pretty well funded retirement). I’ve traveled the world on the company dime and am friends with lots of people others wait in line to get an autograph from. If you want it bad enough, make it happen. I’m sure glad I did it!

The Shop

Tyler_Coff303
7/26/2021 8:09am
SCC wrote:
If you have to do something 60hrs/wk do something you enjoy regardless of pay. There are a total of 60 jobs in the motocross industry outside...
I disagree. My first job in the industry was for an OEM, and I just applied to a job in the back of Cycle News because...
I disagree. My first job in the industry was for an OEM, and I just applied to a job in the back of Cycle News because I hated my job in banking. 20 years later, I love my job, have a beautiful home and family (and a pretty well funded retirement). I’ve traveled the world on the company dime and am friends with lots of people others wait in line to get an autograph from. If you want it bad enough, make it happen. I’m sure glad I did it!
Would you be willing to hop on a phone call? I’d like to pick your brain with the questions I have since you been in the industry!
#RZRNick
7/26/2021 8:27am
I worked for Fox 2005-2013 and Polaris 2013-2018.

I'd get in with WPS, Tucker, Troy Lee, or Fox. The OEM didn't have near as good of a culture as Fox, by FAR. The Reps that do well are established, and have a bit of luck (WPS aquiring brands like Alpinestars).

Fox was a ton of great memories and fun, but my wife got into Technology and made 2-3X more in half the time. As you get older and want a house, nice truck, family etc the bigger paycheck is essential.

The Outside Rep position is a career path you will not get scouted for, not many options, and IMO will not be a thing in 10-15 years. I'd strongly encourage you to look at where the world is going, you might find the perfect compromise (Technology company that builds GPS apps or something offroad related, ECommerce) that gets you into your passion, but also a great stepping stone for your future.

Post a reply to: Outside sales rep in industry

The Latest