Outside sales rep in industry

Tyler_Coff303
I am potentially looking into getting in the industry work wise and was wondering if any of you guys know what the day-to-day job is like for a outside sales rep. I currently am in sales and I am successful but I am tired of what I am doing.
|
Spooner
7/23/2021 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2021 12:41pm
For a distributor or a brand? It differs a bit between the two.
Tyler_Coff303
7/23/2021 12:43pm
Spooner wrote:
For a distributor or a brand? It differs a bit between the two.
Let’s say both. I’d like to keep my options open!
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
7/23/2021 12:45pm
Cue up the naysayers who will tell you everyone who works in the mx industry is broke and works 200 hrs a week...and don’t make your hobby your job...blah blah..It’s horrible and you’ll be miserable...
Spooner
7/23/2021 12:50pm
Brad460 wrote:
Cue up the naysayers who will tell you everyone who works in the mx industry is broke and works 200 hrs a week...and don’t make your...
Cue up the naysayers who will tell you everyone who works in the mx industry is broke and works 200 hrs a week...and don’t make your hobby your job...blah blah..It’s horrible and you’ll be miserable...
Exactly. I've worked for a distributor for 13 years and know a ton of guys at brands rather well and OEM's too and most of us love what we do and make a decent living. Where your territory is can skew that a bit as well.

To answer the OP's question-on the distributor side you're in shops monday-friday and other than 1 or 2 meetings a year you're in the field. There's obviously stuff like paperwork and reports you're doing in between but pretty much you're in shops showing new products, programs, building orders etc. If you work for say an oil company you generally ride with a distributor rep x amount of times a month and otherwise work in a home or normal office. OEM guys work from home and travel a fair amount but I would say are in their home office 30% of the time on average.

The Shop

Tyler_Coff303
7/23/2021 12:54pm
Brad460 wrote:
Cue up the naysayers who will tell you everyone who works in the mx industry is broke and works 200 hrs a week...and don’t make your...
Spooner wrote:
Exactly. I've worked for a distributor for 13 years and know a ton of guys at brands rather well and OEM's too and most of us...
Exactly. I've worked for a distributor for 13 years and know a ton of guys at brands rather well and OEM's too and most of us love what we do and make a decent living. Where your territory is can skew that a bit as well.

To answer the OP's question-on the distributor side you're in shops monday-friday and other than 1 or 2 meetings a year you're in the field. There's obviously stuff like paperwork and reports you're doing in between but pretty much you're in shops showing new products, programs, building orders etc. If you work for say an oil company you generally ride with a distributor rep x amount of times a month and otherwise work in a home or normal office. OEM guys work from home and travel a fair amount but I would say are in their home office 30% of the time on average.

Good to know. Can you make a decent living off it?
Spooner
7/23/2021 12:57pm
Good to know. Can you make a decent living off it?
There is a range obviously and who you work for makes a difference. I would say most distributor guys are 50k on the low end and 130k or so on the high end but there are certainly guys making a ton more if they have a killer area. Remember that expenses are not reimbursed for pretty much any distributor guy but brands and OEM's generally are.
SCC
7/23/2021 1:05pm
Most HR peeps don’t have a clue. You can have 15yrs of b2b sales and shit tons of sales training, raced mx for 20 yrs and not get a interview.
Parks65
7/23/2021 1:07pm
SCC wrote:
Most HR peeps don’t have a clue. You can have 15yrs of b2b sales and shit tons of sales training, raced mx for 20 yrs and...
Most HR peeps don’t have a clue. You can have 15yrs of b2b sales and shit tons of sales training, raced mx for 20 yrs and not get a interview.
I would agree that it seems like a "who you know" type of situation in order to get an interview.
Spooner
7/23/2021 1:11pm
It's like that in any industry and a lot of times there are a ton of people applying for these jobs because they are way more fun than sitting in a cubicle all day. It definitely helps to know some people and I would recommend anyone wanting to get into the industry to shake a lot of hands.
Nairb#70
7/23/2021 3:18pm
SCC wrote:
Most HR peeps don’t have a clue. You can have 15yrs of b2b sales and shit tons of sales training, raced mx for 20 yrs and...
Just keep in mind that the dealership network is the LAST place you will gain experience for a position with a manufacturer. The dealership is the manufacturers customer, and opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of perspective. If you went to an OEM 'position with a dealership mentality, you wouldn't get in the front door. Manufacturers care about one thing : empty warehouses. Most district and regional sales managers for OEM's don't even ride. And to do their jobs correctly they don't even have to. Unfortunately, the powersports industry is nothing like what you would expect from the perspective of an enthusiast. Any idea that you may have that makes sense would get a laugh from a so called "Industry Executive." Proceed with caution..
endurox
7/23/2021 5:27pm
If you are going to work for Parts or WPS type of outside sales, Make sure you are well versed in the Street bike world and side by sides also. That's the bread and butter for many dealers.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
7/23/2021 5:56pm
SCC wrote:
Damn, you been looking at my resume??? Funny stuff and I suspect true... Even though I have never sought out a position in the industry.
flarider
7/23/2021 6:26pm
It's not an easy gig. Lot of no.

It's a ton of who you know and then relationship building, it's easy to go hungry for months before getting dealers to warm up to you.

It's also hard to sell chains, tires and chains when it's three feet deep in snow.

Every dealer will constantly tell you how slow and broke they are

RMT
7/23/2021 7:00pm
Nairb#70 wrote:
Just keep in mind that the dealership network is the LAST place you will gain experience for a position with a manufacturer. The dealership is the...
Just keep in mind that the dealership network is the LAST place you will gain experience for a position with a manufacturer. The dealership is the manufacturers customer, and opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of perspective. If you went to an OEM 'position with a dealership mentality, you wouldn't get in the front door. Manufacturers care about one thing : empty warehouses. Most district and regional sales managers for OEM's don't even ride. And to do their jobs correctly they don't even have to. Unfortunately, the powersports industry is nothing like what you would expect from the perspective of an enthusiast. Any idea that you may have that makes sense would get a laugh from a so called "Industry Executive." Proceed with caution..
I disagree with every single sentence you wrote and have found it to be completely opposite of what you describe.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/23/2021 7:32pm
Nairb#70 wrote:
Just keep in mind that the dealership network is the LAST place you will gain experience for a position with a manufacturer. The dealership is the...
RMT wrote:
I disagree with every single sentence you wrote and have found it to be completely opposite of what you describe.
Me too. I've worked for two OEMs, including one as an outside sales rep. That one hired me because, quote, "...And you have dealership experience, so you know exactly how to handle those guys."

At the OEM level, expect a company car and comped meals. You will be expected to drive a lot, depending on your territory, and may get one office day per week. Lots of nights and some weekends away from home. The cool part is you'll get to see all the cool new stuff before it's announced, get free stuff from distributors, and probably travel in the US and maybe globally. The 2nd OEM sent me to Japan twice. It's pretty cool to work in the industry.

c0ncEpT
7/24/2021 8:20am
It depends who you work for.

Outside typically involves a lot of traveling. Visiting existing customers to strengthen relationships and visiting potential customers to build relationships.

Lots of money to be make is sales in almost any industry if your ambitious.
flarider
7/24/2021 10:46am
Why is the territory available?
Last guy leave for greener pastures? Why?
TeamGreen
7/24/2021 10:59am
Interestingly, I just read that Distributor Reps DO NOT get reimbursed for travel expenses?
Did I read that right?
Are they paid via 1099 or are they actual employees?

Also, aren't there a coupl'a "independent" companies that rep a few brands directly?
For instance, aren't TLD, Oakley, Fasthouse and a few others rep'd by "sales rep co's"?
TeamGreen
7/24/2021 11:00am
flarider wrote:
What happened to EI Dave acct?
JG463
7/24/2021 11:19am
TeamGreen wrote:
Interestingly, I just read that Distributor Reps DO NOT get reimbursed for travel expenses? Did I read that right? Are they paid via 1099 or are...
Interestingly, I just read that Distributor Reps DO NOT get reimbursed for travel expenses?
Did I read that right?

Also, aren't there a coupl'a "independent" companies that rep a few brands directly?
For instance, aren't TLD, Oakley, Fasthouse and a few others rep'd by "sales rep co's"?
Depends on the distributor. WPS guys are 1099 and pay all expenses. Commission only. PU reps are actual employees and get a salary but I’m not sure how their commission is structured.
Spooner
7/24/2021 11:19am
TeamGreen wrote:
Interestingly, I just read that Distributor Reps DO NOT get reimbursed for travel expenses? Did I read that right? Are they paid via 1099 or are...
Did I read that right?

Correct, most of us aren’t. For the ‘big three’ only Wps reps are 1099. And yes there are some ‘independent’ reps that do stuff like TLD, Leatt, etc. I don’t think fox reps can do other brands though.
Spooner
7/24/2021 11:25am
JG463 wrote:
Depends on the distributor. WPS guys are 1099 and pay all expenses. Commission only. PU reps are actual employees and get a salary but I’m not...
Depends on the distributor. WPS guys are 1099 and pay all expenses. Commission only. PU reps are actual employees and get a salary but I’m not sure how their commission is structured.
We are 100% commission like WPS. Not really sure with the tucker guys are doing these days though.
7/24/2021 11:26am
I work for one of the "Big 3" distributors in our industry, we are W-2 Statutory. I imagine the same across the board for the other 2. Have benefits, 401k, health etc that's where the W-2 part comes in. The statutory is the "1099" half. If your accountant knows what he is doing you can write off your brand new bike, mileage, etc.

I can't picture myself in a different industry. Yes, it can get tough, but when you go to work everyday and not hate your life it's worth a smaller check sometimes.
Rickyisms
7/24/2021 11:53am
I work at a dealer currently even though I'm in school for Criminal Justice technology, but I could see transitioning to being a sales rep in the industry after I spend some years in the criminology field. I'm pretty close to our reps from "the big 3" and they are some of the coolest and most down to earth guys I have ever met, if you really love the sport it's a great job to have.
flarider
7/24/2021 11:55am
flarider wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Fell on my own sword for the greater good
TeamGreen
7/24/2021 11:57am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2021 11:58am
I work for one of the "Big 3" distributors in our industry, we are W-2 Statutory. I imagine the same across the board for the other...
I work for one of the "Big 3" distributors in our industry, we are W-2 Statutory. I imagine the same across the board for the other 2. Have benefits, 401k, health etc that's where the W-2 part comes in. The statutory is the "1099" half. If your accountant knows what he is doing you can write off your brand new bike, mileage, etc.

I can't picture myself in a different industry. Yes, it can get tough, but when you go to work everyday and not hate your life it's worth a smaller check sometimes.
OK, now I may need you and Spooner to walk me thru this...but...

If you are an "employee", are you reimbursed for travel expenses or does the company pay them?

I'm assuming per my limited knowledge of the stupidity here in Cali...that 1099'd folks are paying all their own expenses and deducting them.

Also, even an "Employee" can "write off" or deduct a bike or use of a bike or assets purchased for their job/professional use if they do their accounting correctly, right?
TeamGreen
7/24/2021 11:58am
flarider wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
flarider wrote:
Fell on my own sword for the greater good
Those Bastards! They killed Kenny!
Spooner
7/24/2021 12:26pm
TeamGreen wrote:
OK, now I may need you and Spooner to walk me thru this...but... If you are an "employee", are you reimbursed for travel expenses or does...

If you are an "employee", are you reimbursed for travel expenses or does the company pay them?

I'm assuming per my limited knowledge of the stupidity here in Cali...that 1099'd folks are paying all their own expenses and deducting them.

Also, even an "Employee" can "write off" or deduct a bike or use of a bike or assets purchased for their job/professional use if they do their accounting correctly, right?
We (PU) aren’t statutory so we can’t write anything off anymore. They changed the laws when trump got in office so that blows big time. I’m not sure how tucker can do that as well we were told you can’t have benefits and be statutory. Luckily our benefits are really good and I love my job so I put up with it.
Spooner
7/24/2021 12:29pm
Rickyisms wrote:
I work at a dealer currently even though I'm in school for Criminal Justice technology, but I could see transitioning to being a sales rep in...
I work at a dealer currently even though I'm in school for Criminal Justice technology, but I could see transitioning to being a sales rep in the industry after I spend some years in the criminology field. I'm pretty close to our reps from "the big 3" and they are some of the coolest and most down to earth guys I have ever met, if you really love the sport it's a great job to have.
Who’s your PU rep?
TeamGreen
7/24/2021 1:19pm
TeamGreen wrote:
OK, now I may need you and Spooner to walk me thru this...but... If you are an "employee", are you reimbursed for travel expenses or does...

Spooner wrote:
We (PU) aren’t statutory so we can’t write anything off anymore. They changed the laws when trump got in office so that blows big time. I’m...
We (PU) aren’t statutory so we can’t write anything off anymore. They changed the laws when trump got in office so that blows big time. I’m not sure how tucker can do that as well we were told you can’t have benefits and be statutory. Luckily our benefits are really good and I love my job so I put up with it.
Thanks!

Post a reply to: Outside sales rep in industry

The Latest