Outdoor tracks and history 1997 to current

Motodave15
Edited Date/Time 9/2/2022 12:12pm
Ok, I’m watching the 97 outdoor national series. (For reference point)

Wtf happend to the tracks?? , meaning I’m looking at the layouts vs the layouts of today.
Hangtowns direction made no sense to me lol… what happend to the water hole? Like how did the track shift. Does the water hole still exist?

Same thing with Glen Helen, there was no talladega and they made a left off of another hill onto mt. St Helen.
What exactly was that other hill and did Glen Helen plow a whole mountain?

Washougal starting line took off and and went to the right?? I’m so confused lol, so far the only track that somewhat makes sense to their current layout is Millville, even southwick had a blind right hand turn I’ve never seen before.

I’m kind of blown away by how much dirt these facilities have seemed to have moved as they hold very very little resemblance to what they were all those years ago.

Any old pictures or old timers who witnessed these changes your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Our sport (outdoors, should do a track layout through the ages spread in racer x or like before the national, would be cool to see)
|
hubbardmx50
9/1/2022 10:47pm
Yes. Hard to believe but they didn't start using the talladega at GH until 2000 I believe. Before they would do an S turn after the start. Which is crazy because when you think of GH you think of the talladega. I watched the 93 national and didn't even recognize the place.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
9/1/2022 11:49pm
I have photos of all the nationals and GPs there. They are just in print form.

The hill where Talledega is now was called Animals Leap. The start at Glen Helen was always sketchy for the USGPs and the first couple nationals, it was basically a 90° right hander that then went along the base of the hill and then ran through the flats. The motocross track area was used for off road cars, sand drags and other stuff in the 80s and early 90s. The USGPs and 93 National didn’t use the hills much at all.

The USGPs only used the portion of Shoei Hill (the first uphill after the start) and it dropped down the back where RC flew off in 01, then went up to just the Animals Leap drop off. Basically the height of Talledega.

In 96 for the National, the layout used Shoei, and then went all the way to the top of the Animals Leap hill, coming down towards the start there was a step down in to the Animals Leap drop off.

In 97 they reversed the track to the clock wise direction, the start dog legged and went up the full Animals Leap hill, then they added Mt St Helen’s but went up the back side.

In 98 and 99, they reversed the track again, counter clockwise, using both Animals Leap and Mt St Helen’s.

They went clockwise in 2000 and was the first year they went straight up the face of Mt St Helen’s.

In 2001 Talledega was built and they got rid of Animals Leap. They added Yamaha Hill in the Canyon to keep 2 big hills.

In 06 they added going to REM Mt Whitney hill. Which went through 09. Somewhere in there they got rid of Yamaha hill because it got down to a big boulder on the climb up.

Here’s a photo of my dad leading at Glen Helen in 1988 at a CMC Golden State National below Animals Leap, where Talledega is now.
freeh
9/2/2022 4:53am
Four strokes happened, and the sport became all the worse for it.

The Shop

canciaro
9/2/2022 6:52am
I’ve only been to Red Bud in the last 7-8 years but watching old Red Bud races in the mid 2000s and I get lost because the track was going everywhere and even in the last section where Larocco’s leap is has changed so much I can’t believe it.
McG194
9/2/2022 7:11am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2022 7:15am
Here's some 90's pictures of Red Bud. The only place where they ever disced deep was the start and next straight. You can see Lammy buzzing the fence line. I swear, he was the only one who would run that line and you could reach out and touch him if you wanted your arm ripped off. To put into perspective where Lamson is during the race you would come off the finish line and then there was a berm in a 180 corner. Most guys would cut under the berm, but Lamson would go way wide and due to the extra length of the straight and the fact he was in the smooth stuff he probably had 10 mph on everyone. The picture that shows the triple and double double in the valley shows Red Bud's true soil, not the baby Lommel we saw at the last Des Nations.

jnickell
Fantasy
1738th
9/2/2022 7:50am
My first visit to a pro national was Washougal 1990. It is considerably different now but there are still some key sections that didn't change. First off, the start dumped the riders onto the track where the rollers/finish line ended. The uphill is basically the same, as are the rollers and the drop off that leads to the sharp S turn at the bottom. Hangtown has changed immensely over the years. I first started going there in 1993 and the only obstacle that hasn't changed is the drop off next to the big tree. Other than that, it's WAY different. The old starting gate was behind the scoring tower. When they moved it to the other side of the tower, it allowed them to expand the pits. Budds Creek also went through some changes, though it seems they just moved the start straight around. My first visit there, the starting gate was in a lower section next to the drop off shortly after the finish. Then they moved it over to the opposite side of the track 1 turn away from Henry Hill (RC/Stew battle comes to mind). THEN, they moved it to it's current location on the interior of the track where I associate that with RV laying waste to the world and RC's last pro gate drop. Blessed to have gotten to see that. As far as Glen Helen is concerned, I didn't go to that race until 2005. But I specifically remember thinking it looked WAY different than I remembered on TV when comparing it to the 96 race.
9/2/2022 7:53am
Washougal has had now 4 different starting locations.

The original location was on the south east corner.
Used till 91 92? Most of us know it as the staging area on practice days to get on the track.

The first relocation the one you saw. Was like the opposite side of the track. Down at the bottom of this small hill. Made a right turn onto the track.

Used until 99? 00?

Then it was moved to where it is now but not quite the same gate position. It was closer to the track and the left turn was a sharper corner. It also started out on the flatter area and went up the hill more.
Used only a few years. Till 04 05?

Then the gate was moved again to its now current
spot as to make the turn less sharp and the area was made more flatter.
With not as much incline.
Like 06 till now.

I hear they gotta move the gate again. Back another 50 feet. Suddenly the ama has decided the start straight was 50 feet too short after all these years.

joemez
Fantasy
3741st
9/2/2022 7:55am
I raced at red bud in 88 and the track then i remember was tons of rocks alot of small jump sections , I really dont remember laroccos leap but there was an uphill but you turned right away at the top. I met Greg bowen there great kid fast ..
9/2/2022 9:40am
Washougal shitcanning the Chuck Sun Jump is a travesty
Another thing the ama made them change. It wasn't wide enough for the safety mule. It did get a bit crowded in those spots. Other rumor I heard was because the moto tee's guy wanted a better vendor spot. And wanted a spot on the infield right where the original catchers mit corner was. This was in 04.

The next year that stuff was removed and the moti tee's guy was parked on the infield. The next year was back in the old spot they had been at for years and still are. No way it's coming back now. They got too much stuff in the infield in that spot.

I haven't bought a moto tee's shirt since 04.

9/2/2022 10:14am
How was Broome Tioga? I grew up in New York and always heard it was fun but it was no longer a national track by the time I could drive there
mxking6
9/2/2022 10:18am
Sawdust and sand are what have made for rutted, bland tracks. Not good for the sport…….
zippytech
9/2/2022 11:13am
We don't even have High Point anymore. Not sure why they even call it that anymore!
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
9/2/2022 12:12pm
I have photos of all the nationals and GPs there. They are just in print form. The hill where Talledega is now was called Animals Leap...
I have photos of all the nationals and GPs there. They are just in print form.

The hill where Talledega is now was called Animals Leap. The start at Glen Helen was always sketchy for the USGPs and the first couple nationals, it was basically a 90° right hander that then went along the base of the hill and then ran through the flats. The motocross track area was used for off road cars, sand drags and other stuff in the 80s and early 90s. The USGPs and 93 National didn’t use the hills much at all.

The USGPs only used the portion of Shoei Hill (the first uphill after the start) and it dropped down the back where RC flew off in 01, then went up to just the Animals Leap drop off. Basically the height of Talledega.

In 96 for the National, the layout used Shoei, and then went all the way to the top of the Animals Leap hill, coming down towards the start there was a step down in to the Animals Leap drop off.

In 97 they reversed the track to the clock wise direction, the start dog legged and went up the full Animals Leap hill, then they added Mt St Helen’s but went up the back side.

In 98 and 99, they reversed the track again, counter clockwise, using both Animals Leap and Mt St Helen’s.

They went clockwise in 2000 and was the first year they went straight up the face of Mt St Helen’s.

In 2001 Talledega was built and they got rid of Animals Leap. They added Yamaha Hill in the Canyon to keep 2 big hills.

In 06 they added going to REM Mt Whitney hill. Which went through 09. Somewhere in there they got rid of Yamaha hill because it got down to a big boulder on the climb up.

Here’s a photo of my dad leading at Glen Helen in 1988 at a CMC Golden State National below Animals Leap, where Talledega is now.
Nice! I raced there quite a bit back then with CMC and GFI. I remember that layout well. I have more pics somewhere...

Animal Leap in 1989 on my 89 YZ250 with the Fox Polk-a-dot gear and Custom Painted JT Helmet . Good times Cheerful

Post a reply to: Outdoor tracks and history 1997 to current

The Latest