Outdoor Nationals Topic Time/Laps

Related:
Create New Tag

10/31/2018 1:59 PM

This is Based on Something I Heard on pulp last night
But I Have actually Been thinking for a while ,
T Alessi said something along the lines of He would like if they Changed outdoors to 20 minutes +2 , instead of 30 + 2 , it Seems like the Riders would like that better , and the moto's are getting boring after 20 anyway ,
Imo that would be a great change , and add a 20+2
125 class and that would make up for the missing time/laps ,and make the racing more fun for the riders instead of exhausting etc etc...
Opinions ?
Discuss

|

10/31/2018 2:02 PM

That do us so much good for MXdN.... then adding an additional moto would make the day longer and cost more to put on tv.. or even harder to put in a time slot.

Keep it the way it is. Let's not try to pussify it.

That's my opinion

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/31/2018 2:11 PM

That team does not even race the outdoor nationals lol. I can see why.

|

10/31/2018 2:15 PM

No

|

10/31/2018 2:19 PM

No

|

10/31/2018 2:26 PM

I agree with OP.. the action has by and large slowed down after the 20 minute mark. No, it isn't ALWAYS the case, but more often than not it seems like it is. I would be happy to see them go to a 3 motos @ 15 minute + 2 format or at least try it.

|

Here's to feeling good all the time

10/31/2018 2:31 PM

First they move the Nationals from Sundays to Saturdays because the riders and teams wanted it and now they want to shorten the moto's too...................Ok with me

|

Ed Johnson

10/31/2018 2:36 PM

I remember in the Canadian Nationals when Ross Pederson would race 6 45 minute motos in a day. Supposedly the athletes of today are capable of even more than those of 30 years ago. I guess it's those damned kids with their shortened attention spans from all those new fangled screens they're always staring at! Photo

|

Current rides: 2021 TM 144, 2008 YZ250

10/31/2018 2:40 PM

No

|

10/31/2018 2:41 PM

Christ six 45 minute motos on a ungroomed track in the same day? Wonder what Aldon's got for that lol?

|

10/31/2018 3:21 PM

Spoken like a good starter. Maybe not over Langston catching him at Hangtown in 05 or whenever it was.

If they went to 20 minute motos they need to go back to the three moto format.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

10/31/2018 3:28 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Spoken like a good starter. Maybe not over Langston catching him at Hangtown in 05 or whenever it was.

If they went to 20 ...more

laughing laughing laughing laughing That first sentence!!! w00t
|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/31/2018 3:33 PM

Worst idea ever, why would we like to pussify the nationals after what happen at redbud ? So NO !

What i would like to see is 15 nationals and 15 sx race (make it even) in order to finish the nationals the first week of september and race the MXON the second or third week of september ! Like that the riders can keep the momentum as i think it hurts the team USA badly to stop riding outdoor end of august.

|

10/31/2018 3:45 PM

Shorten an endurance sport? Sigh.......................................oh well. (insert sad face here)

|

10/31/2018 3:51 PM

My love for tradition only goes as far as the sport falling on hard times. 30 or 45 minute moto's almost fit the description of "Enduro" or "Extreme Distance" to most non moto layman. Very few casual fans of the sport have any idea that the top riders are World Class Athletes who pay personal trainers enough money to put them in the top income brackets. Casual "potential fans" associate MX with SX and FX more than Triathletes. When your sport is considered the tatted kamikaze's with their hair lit on fire and expect most riders to end up in an ambulance, no tradition is going to change that.

After that rant, I will re-iterate that our sport at the Pro level is entertainment 1st, no fans, no big race. Fans of today are into YouTube clips of highlights. I say give it to them. Similar to the Triple crown, I'd suggest 3 moto's of different lengths to allow all abilities and talents to shine and break up the results. Start with a 10 minute Moto, Then a 20 minute Moto, then finish with a 30. You'll get the best of each, holeshot artist's, super fast guys, and super fit guys. Now you have got your YouTube highlights.

I have no problem with dislikes and expect them, but progressing the sport is more important than likes.

|

10/31/2018 3:56 PM

Shorten the race? And miss all those awesome Tomac comebacks? Nah Im good.

|

10/31/2018 3:57 PM

I say go 40min. +2 and forget zabout the cluless crowd and maybe what happened a few weeks ago would been different.
Just my opinion.

|

THERE IS NO SECOND MOTO IN LIFE!

10/31/2018 4:27 PM

The races are only boring if all you care about is who wins...and that guy is finishing a minute or more ahead of second place. There are plenty of great battles going on all over the track. Remember fellas, that 40th rider on the gate is still a fast mofo from wherever he's from. It's easy to forget that when you are watching the freaks up front. Personally, I'd rather see one 60 minute moto than two 20 minute shorties. Heck, I didn't like the change from 45+2.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

10/31/2018 4:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/31/2018 4:44 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Three 20 minute motos as in 20+2 or 15+2?

I'd be down if they wanted to try it for a year. Talk about a mad sprint. Would suck if you got a bad start.

But I think that would help with supercross prep too... higher intensity, shorter duration races.

|

10/31/2018 5:33 PM

bummer for tomac... he lights the burner after 20 minutes

|

10/31/2018 5:58 PM

plowboy wrote:

The races are only boring if all you care about is who wins...and that guy is finishing a minute or more ahead of second ...more

Here Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye!!!!! Very well ssid. I am so sick of having to explain to the fair weather fans the same thing. I think unless you've raced you just can't grasp it.

|

THERE IS NO SECOND MOTO IN LIFE!

10/31/2018 6:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/31/2018 6:33 PM

FreshTopEnd wrote:

Travis707 wrote:

Three 20 minute motos as in 20+2 or 15+2?

I'd be down if they wanted to try it for a year. Talk about a mad sprint. Would ...more

I dont know I dont think it's really all that short it seems like they are pretty well sorted by then to Me , and the riders and the announcers, TV analysts, and everyone else is just trying to hang on , but when did it become an endurance sport anyway , when I think Racing I want to see Passes and Racing, if we just want to see endurance and who is the most fit why dont we have them run a marathon?
I Guess I would have to say that I agree with Tony ,
I would like to see something else put in place of the lost laps tho, like a 125 series, or even a super mini series added .

|

10/31/2018 6:33 PM

Professional motocross would have died on the vine if it had stayed at 40 minute plus 2. Sponsors don't want to pay for exposure in Duke videos months or years after the fact.

It was pretty common to run thee moto formats back in the day into the mid 70's. Early Trans AMA's were 3 30's. Some of this was to take a load off the bikes, same as the ability then to drop one or two races before counting title points, simply because the bikes were so reliably unreliable then that counting all moto scores would have skewed the equity of the overall title holder's claim if another rider dominated but dnf some races due to mechanicals. The bikes just broke more then.

Today, the bikes allow the guys to ride with so much more intensity; guys back then could never have pushed a bike as hard and a lot of the old 40 minute moto days racing tested a rider's ability to conserve himself and his machine. That gives some context; I have no problem assuming that the physical demands today on an elite rider in a 30 minute moto equal or exceed the demands that were placed on an elite rider in 1980 racing a 40 minute GP moto, even if the physiology of that stress may differ. Frankly, I enjoy watching today's riders pushing harder (something the old school greats would do if they competed with the same machine advantages as todays riders), and think the 30 minute moto is a good balance.

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

10/31/2018 6:41 PM

Same format, no grooming between motos. Let the track get nasty

|

10/31/2018 6:44 PM

Also, while there are times where it gets boring after 20 minutes, some of the greatest motos ever have taken place past the twenty minute mark, so I wouldn’t sacrifice that.

|

10/31/2018 8:06 PM

If the problem is that racing is all done by 20 minutes than the focus of any changes should be to bring parity and close racing back to the sport, not just shorten the motos.

What if this had been implemented years ago?

No late moto charges by larocco or some of the awesome rides blake Baggett put in when he was on 250s and always seemed to find another gear when the 2 lap board came out..

|

11/1/2018 12:13 AM

Photo
|

11/1/2018 3:27 AM

I did a French international once that was 8 x 90 minute motos over two days. 90 mins, then an hour rest, then times four each day.

It sucked.

|

11/1/2018 4:17 AM

Robgvx wrote:

I did a French international once that was 8 x 90 minute motos over two days. 90 mins, then an hour rest, then times four each ...more

The hell? My bike would run out of fuel w00t

|

11/1/2018 4:23 AM

How about we just punch the checkered flag in the first turn. That should about do it, right?

|