Out of retirement

The last time I rode or owned a bike was in 2001. I ended up getting a 2006 RM 250. Not the prettiest but everything seems pretty tight. Going to ride it a few times this year when time permits and strip it down over the winter. I've ridden it twice so far and she goes pretty good. Suspension is a little soft so I want to get it done for my weight. All in all it seems like a good starting point to make a nice looking/running bike. Any input would great!

|
downard254
7/3/2016 1:05pm
I added an 11 oz. flywheel weight. Smooths her out a bit.
Uncle Tony
7/3/2016 1:16pm
You never really retire from motocross, you just don't do it for a while, you eventually relapse, good luck with your new ride!
7/3/2016 2:01pm
Welcome back into racing! There's not much i can say, i just wish you lots of fun and good luck with the bike Cool
Cygnus
7/3/2016 2:09pm
Nice ride. That is one hell of a start.

The Shop

usp4u
7/3/2016 2:53pm
That ol bitch looks great.
7/3/2016 3:28pm
The last time I rode or owned a bike was in 2001. I ended up getting a 2006 RM 250. Not the prettiest but everything seems...
The last time I rode or owned a bike was in 2001. I ended up getting a 2006 RM 250. Not the prettiest but everything seems pretty tight. Going to ride it a few times this year when time permits and strip it down over the winter. I've ridden it twice so far and she goes pretty good. Suspension is a little soft so I want to get it done for my weight. All in all it seems like a good starting point to make a nice looking/running bike. Any input would great!

So true!
7/3/2016 4:50pm
Thanks guy's. The paint job on the frame is killing me. It looks like the guy used a spray can to paint it.

There are some great posts on here with some good ideas for my winter build.

7/3/2016 5:03pm
What do you think of the local tracks you've ridden at since coming out of retirement compared to how they were in 2001?
scooter5002
7/3/2016 7:00pm
Nice find, and welcome back. Don't be discouraged if your speed has gone away, getting old is a bitch. I like the frame colour, are you going to paint it that yellow again, just properly?
7/3/2016 7:07pm
The last time I rode or owned a bike was in 2001. I ended up getting a 2006 RM 250. Not the prettiest but everything seems...

I could have sworn those frames were grey.
7/3/2016 7:26pm
Pretty sure the OEM color was grey. Was thinking about going black or grey.

Yeah, I seem to have developed a slight fear of the big jumps. When I was in my teens I barely thought twice before hitting them, now that I'm close to 40, 3 kids and a business to run I don't want to take many chance's. Plus the suspension is set up for a guy about 30lbs lighter than me and I don't have total confidence in how the bike will handle if I over jump or come up short. Corner speed hasn't slowed down though. Lol

Fitness wise, I've raced expert level XC MTB for 15 yrs. Also ride 200-400 km a week on my road bike.
The first ride out I had no problem doing 30min Moto's. My hands were tired because I wasn't used to holding on to something with an engine.
ledger
3/26/2017 3:52pm
Bike looks great, good to see you're staying in the game.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
3/26/2017 4:16pm
What the heck is that front disc?
jeffro503
3/26/2017 4:28pm
All ready for graphics [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/03/26/184017/s1200_IMG_20170326_160952.jpg[/img]
All ready for graphics

If you are into 2 strokes ( or just looking for an awesome bike to ride ).....you picked a great one! I still say my 06' RM 250 is the most fun bike I've ever owned. Something about those older RM's that just feel " perfect ". Congrat's and welcome back.
3/26/2017 4:33pm
Pretty sure the OEM color was grey. Was thinking about going black or grey. Yeah, I seem to have developed a slight fear of the big...
Pretty sure the OEM color was grey. Was thinking about going black or grey.

Yeah, I seem to have developed a slight fear of the big jumps. When I was in my teens I barely thought twice before hitting them, now that I'm close to 40, 3 kids and a business to run I don't want to take many chance's. Plus the suspension is set up for a guy about 30lbs lighter than me and I don't have total confidence in how the bike will handle if I over jump or come up short. Corner speed hasn't slowed down though. Lol

Fitness wise, I've raced expert level XC MTB for 15 yrs. Also ride 200-400 km a week on my road bike.
The first ride out I had no problem doing 30min Moto's. My hands were tired because I wasn't used to holding on to something with an engine.
What province are you in? Took a hiatus from riding last year and raced Master Sport at a few O-cups here in Ontario. Found that it made riding at the end of the year much easier when I borrowed a buddies bike. Looking forward to balancing both this summer
3/26/2017 4:44pm
What province are you in? Took a hiatus from riding last year and raced Master Sport at a few O-cups here in Ontario. Found that it...
What province are you in? Took a hiatus from riding last year and raced Master Sport at a few O-cups here in Ontario. Found that it made riding at the end of the year much easier when I borrowed a buddies bike. Looking forward to balancing both this summer
Ontario. Niagara Region. Your talking mountain bike right? I raced O cups last year as well. 30-39 sport.
3/26/2017 5:02pm
jeffro503 wrote:
If you are into 2 strokes ( or just looking for an awesome bike to ride ).....you picked a great one! I still say my 06'...
If you are into 2 strokes ( or just looking for an awesome bike to ride ).....you picked a great one! I still say my 06' RM 250 is the most fun bike I've ever owned. Something about those older RM's that just feel " perfect ". Congrat's and welcome back.
Yes, I'm into 2 strokes. I always wanted an RM back when I raced but I worked at a Kawasaki dealership. Lol. The way this thing corners is amazing.
jeffro503
3/26/2017 5:11pm
jeffro503 wrote:
If you are into 2 strokes ( or just looking for an awesome bike to ride ).....you picked a great one! I still say my 06'...
Yes, I'm into 2 strokes. I always wanted an RM back when I raced but I worked at a Kawasaki dealership. Lol. The way this thing...
Yes, I'm into 2 strokes. I always wanted an RM back when I raced but I worked at a Kawasaki dealership. Lol. The way this thing corners is amazing.
Oh yeah! tell me about it! It's hard to believe that these bikes are 11 years old. I've ridden newer , other brand models that didn't handle near as good. Something very special about those RM's. One of the best investments I ever made in this sport was picking one up. Have never regretted it.
3/26/2017 5:36pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2017 5:40pm
Ontario. Niagara Region. Your talking mountain bike right? I raced O cups last year as well. 30-39 sport.
Haha. Same here. Im pretty sure you and I talked on the line at the Albion O-cup? My names Eric. I was on a black Top Fuel with a Trek jersey.

Love the bike. Well have to hook up for a ride at some motos this season.
3/26/2017 5:52pm
Haha. Same here. Im pretty sure you and I talked on the line at the Albion O-cup? My names Eric. I was on a black Top...
Haha. Same here. Im pretty sure you and I talked on the line at the Albion O-cup? My names Eric. I was on a black Top Fuel with a Trek jersey.

Love the bike. Well have to hook up for a ride at some motos this season.
Lol. I remember talking to you. I think you won that race if I remember correctly. I did all my riding in November. We should get out this year for sure.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
3/26/2017 6:25pm
I have an 06.. It's been good to me. It had a small flywheel weight on it since I got it so I don't know what it feels like without one. The midrange feels a bit lazy to me, when compared to my favorite Pre-02 CR250 motors, so I just recently added a V-Force3, and swapped out the FMF exhaust for Pro-Circuit pieces. I went with the longer silencer because I've heard it helps the bottom to mid transition. I hope to ride it next weekend to see how it goes. Then I plan to tune it on my buddy's dyno once the weather warms up to decent temp. Good luck with yours.

jeffro503
3/26/2017 6:49pm
Steve125 wrote:
I have an 06.. It's been good to me. It had a small flywheel weight on it since I got it so I don't know what...
I have an 06.. It's been good to me. It had a small flywheel weight on it since I got it so I don't know what it feels like without one. The midrange feels a bit lazy to me, when compared to my favorite Pre-02 CR250 motors, so I just recently added a V-Force3, and swapped out the FMF exhaust for Pro-Circuit pieces. I went with the longer silencer because I've heard it helps the bottom to mid transition. I hope to ride it next weekend to see how it goes. Then I plan to tune it on my buddy's dyno once the weather warms up to decent temp. Good luck with yours.

Damn Steve! Sweet looking RM!!
3/26/2017 6:53pm
Steve125 wrote:
I have an 06.. It's been good to me. It had a small flywheel weight on it since I got it so I don't know what...

Looks great!
Jrewing
3/27/2017 12:10am
I had an 06 after my hiatus after a few years. Tip.. Don't sell it such good bikes. They should redo them with new plastics

Post a reply to: Out of retirement

The Latest