Our sport is guna die if we don’t start racing

BobPA
3/26/2019 4:41pm
Brent wrote:
All of the California cliches' you listed are kind of funny for people who are born and raised here. (1) Real estate cost a lot because...
All of the California cliches' you listed are kind of funny for people who are born and raised here.

(1) Real estate cost a lot because the people from the east coast have all moved here to escape the winters.

(2) This is still the state with the most off road motorcycles sold. The few that "hate motorcycles" are far left activists who also hate cars and any form of combustion engine vehicle, not exclusive to motorcycles.

(3) MX in the USA started here, the kids in my neighborhood were racing MX and scrambles back in the late sixties, way before the rest of the country caught on to the sport. SoCal has a rich history in the creation of the dirt bike, that is why all of the OEMs are based here.

That is why it is so sad to see the tracks here close down, there is huge interest in the sport, but now a lot of folks just can't afford to take their kids to the track anymore, even in a wealthy state like ours.

1. Why are outrageous property costs funny? Regardless of what causes it? But, I agree you cannot beat the weather.

2. California has the largest population in the US, by about 11 million people over the next state ....There is no surprise that more motorcycles are sold there. According to this (2014) study, California ranks pretty low for motorcycles/person in the state. https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/16/50-states-ranked-for-…
Who actually knows the accuracy though....

3. I do not know about that statement man, People have been riding MX since the 60's all across the country. Dilla' started in 1969, and Red Bud was a few years before that. This argument is like the whole "who started punk rock thing"...It is not a contest.

I understand the draw to be in CA, but I still think it would be better for companies to move some place cheaper. Alta would have had a much better chance, to survive, had it not been based in CA. I briefly thought about a move out west a few years ago. The cost of living alone out there was mind boggling compared to PA. A $500K home in CA would be $80K here, not to mention taxes, food, insurance, etc....It scared me away pretty quick.
Titan1
3/26/2019 4:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2019 4:42pm
I don't get the cost of bikes thing...buy a used bike...buy a left over prior year bike...don't like 4 strokes, but a 2 stroke...

Saying that someone brand new to the sport-or ANYONE for that matter-has to spend $10K on a bike to get into the sport and have fun isn't reality based. No reason a guy couldn't pick up a 10 year old YZ125 for $1500, and have a blast and race.

I think part of the problem is that far to many riders are in it for the image...they'd be embarrassed to ride a 10 year old bike, with no graphics, and two year old gear...so they don't feel they can participate if they don't have the latest and greatest bike, with all the aftermarket nonsense, and $600 boots and a $600 helmet. It's crazy.

Buy a 10 year old two stroke, some used boots (even top of the line boots) for a 1 or 2 hundred bucks, a decent helmet on clearance for a couple hundred bucks, some clearance gear, and you're into it a couple grand...and go ride, even go RACE...and have fun! Don't worry about what people think.

Trust me...D, C, B, class dudes don't need to be on new rubber every race, don't need that $800 exhaust, don't need $3K in suspension work, don't need $600 boots, and they don't need that $10K 450/250f every year to race, and they certainly don't need it to be competitive, but most importantly they don't need all of that to have FUN.
endurox
3/27/2019 9:21am
The youth is not into dirt bikes like the baby boomer generation. Today e assist bikes seems to where the young spend their money on two wheeled sports. They will spend 5k$ on a these. No need for a big truck payment for the bicycle or wasting 3 hours to drive to a track and back if you live in So Cal. MX tracks need to broaden their facilities with endurocross , trials, riding trails, etc to bring the family out, like the old Saddleback days for example. That is what we are doing at OMC in Boise. Permanent bathrooms with running water is an upgrade well worth the investment. Our park is a membership except for a few open days to the public. So pay 120$ a year and 25 hours working the grounds, flagging etc and one can go ride everyday for free.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/27/2019 9:28am
endurox wrote:
The youth is not into dirt bikes like the baby boomer generation. Today e assist bikes seems to where the young spend their money on two...
The youth is not into dirt bikes like the baby boomer generation. Today e assist bikes seems to where the young spend their money on two wheeled sports. They will spend 5k$ on a these. No need for a big truck payment for the bicycle or wasting 3 hours to drive to a track and back if you live in So Cal. MX tracks need to broaden their facilities with endurocross , trials, riding trails, etc to bring the family out, like the old Saddleback days for example. That is what we are doing at OMC in Boise. Permanent bathrooms with running water is an upgrade well worth the investment. Our park is a membership except for a few open days to the public. So pay 120$ a year and 25 hours working the grounds, flagging etc and one can go ride everyday for free.
I love your idea of $120 for the year and 25 hours of working, but man that would not fly here at all. I can't find 45 minutes to ride in the hills above my house, let alone 25 hours throughout the year to help out at a track. Far to busy here for stuff like that, which is part of the reason we wanted to move to the Boise area. Hopefully in a few years though!

The Shop

endurox
3/27/2019 9:43am
endurox wrote:
The youth is not into dirt bikes like the baby boomer generation. Today e assist bikes seems to where the young spend their money on two...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I love your idea of $120 for the year and 25 hours of working, but man that would not fly here at all. I can't find...
I love your idea of $120 for the year and 25 hours of working, but man that would not fly here at all. I can't find 45 minutes to ride in the hills above my house, let alone 25 hours throughout the year to help out at a track. Far to busy here for stuff like that, which is part of the reason we wanted to move to the Boise area. Hopefully in a few years though!
Used to live down their in the rat race. I can empathize. The time spent driving around down there is insane. I am 11 minutes to the track here so lots of time freed up. Most riding areas are less than an hour from town. But traffic is starting to get bad by local standards. They say that 300 Californians moving here everyday.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/27/2019 9:47am
endurox wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I love your idea of $120 for the year and 25 hours of working, but man that would not fly here at all. I can't find...
endurox wrote:
Used to live down their in the rat race. I can empathize. The time spent driving around down there is insane. I am 11 minutes to...
Used to live down their in the rat race. I can empathize. The time spent driving around down there is insane. I am 11 minutes to the track here so lots of time freed up. Most riding areas are less than an hour from town. But traffic is starting to get bad by local standards. They say that 300 Californians moving here everyday.
I always see Shelby's posts of riding up there and at your place. Man, it looks amazing there. We have a ton of family friends that have been up there for years. But 300 Californians a day? That's turning me off of going there. I want to get away from Californians, not move to a place with a bunch of them. I want to get away from the CA bs lol
dynex987
3/27/2019 9:49am
endurox wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
endurox wrote:
Used to live down their in the rat race. I can empathize. The time spent driving around down there is insane. I am 11 minutes to...
You are so correct. To bad its not moto friendly CA people too. I feel bad I lived up there and riding was plentiful but i already see so many new subdivisions in those hills being built up. Wish I rode OMC $120/25hrs is cheap and makes a community. Beats the 30$/day and piss and shit in the plastic box.
Titan1
3/27/2019 9:50am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
endurox wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I always see Shelby's posts of riding up there and at your place. Man, it looks amazing there. We have a ton of family friends that...
I always see Shelby's posts of riding up there and at your place. Man, it looks amazing there. We have a ton of family friends that have been up there for years. But 300 Californians a day? That's turning me off of going there. I want to get away from Californians, not move to a place with a bunch of them. I want to get away from the CA bs lol
Tons of Californians moving to Utah too...

My issue is that they move here, and are trying to turn Utah into California (a place they left because they didn't like it). They vote in ridiculous politicians, they support local enviro-nazi groups, and on and on and on...they are like a parasite...moving from one place to the next and ruining each one. (not all californians mind you...but most of them)
rongi#401
3/27/2019 9:52am
endurox wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
endurox wrote:
Sweet in no time our traffic will be your problemWoohoo
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
3/27/2019 9:53am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2019 9:55am
Titan1 wrote:
I don't get the cost of bikes thing...buy a used bike...buy a left over prior year bike...don't like 4 strokes, but a 2 stroke... Saying that...
I don't get the cost of bikes thing...buy a used bike...buy a left over prior year bike...don't like 4 strokes, but a 2 stroke...

Saying that someone brand new to the sport-or ANYONE for that matter-has to spend $10K on a bike to get into the sport and have fun isn't reality based. No reason a guy couldn't pick up a 10 year old YZ125 for $1500, and have a blast and race.

I think part of the problem is that far to many riders are in it for the image...they'd be embarrassed to ride a 10 year old bike, with no graphics, and two year old gear...so they don't feel they can participate if they don't have the latest and greatest bike, with all the aftermarket nonsense, and $600 boots and a $600 helmet. It's crazy.

Buy a 10 year old two stroke, some used boots (even top of the line boots) for a 1 or 2 hundred bucks, a decent helmet on clearance for a couple hundred bucks, some clearance gear, and you're into it a couple grand...and go ride, even go RACE...and have fun! Don't worry about what people think.

Trust me...D, C, B, class dudes don't need to be on new rubber every race, don't need that $800 exhaust, don't need $3K in suspension work, don't need $600 boots, and they don't need that $10K 450/250f every year to race, and they certainly don't need it to be competitive, but most importantly they don't need all of that to have FUN.
You make some valid points but not everyone knows all those things , sure most of us on vital do, but if someone doesn't have a close friend or family member that's into the sport they may not necessarily know that a used 125 will be a good fit , and i honestly dont see to many 2009 YZ125's for $1500 ,
But even if its $2000 , and some budget gear , sure tou can get it done , For $3000 or less,
But where the sport is tough to get into in my opinion is
Kids that are 12 plus , its not easy to jump into this sport on an 85, they are full blown race bikes
Or even young adults, im sure there are people that have an interest and there parents wouldnt let them ride or couldn't afford to , and trying to join at an older age riding with others that started young and can easily hit the jumps etc is intimidating.
For kids 8 and under on 50cc is great , but any older and there are some challenges.
BobbyM
3/27/2019 9:59am
bsharkey wrote:
Kids are smarter these days they see there's no end game in motocross. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen that are good riders...
Kids are smarter these days they see there's no end game in motocross. I can't tell you how many kids I've seen that are good riders that quit within a year to or less after getting out of high school or turning pro, a couple reasons one the parents weren't supporting them anymore so basically at the time when they need the most support it gets dropped out from under them.and then next they see something they love but they're just gonna get deeper in the hole money wise. Without good purse money there's no incentive to keep racing. Another problem is multiple series running the same weekends all it does is thin out the rider base in it's happening everywhere everyone seems to think they need to have their own series racing and they can't figure out why on race day there's only a quarter of the people that the day before were on practice day. I've seen tracks where they had 450 riders show up for practice day then race day comes and they're lucky to have a 150
Good points... Fact is pussy, weed then costs are usually what kills a potential kid/pro rider.
Pooter.
Marijuana.
Money.
In that order.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/27/2019 11:17am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
endurox wrote:
rongi#401 wrote:
Sweet in no time our traffic will be your problemWoohoo
We're still going to have our own traffic problems Sad
Johnny Ringo
3/27/2019 11:33am
The biggest thing most tracks miss out on is the "Club" aspect. Pay up front for the year for how many practice days you think you'll do, and get member discount on race day.

3/27/2019 1:14pm
The biggest thing most tracks miss out on is the "Club" aspect. Pay up front for the year for how many practice days you think you'll...
The biggest thing most tracks miss out on is the "Club" aspect. Pay up front for the year for how many practice days you think you'll do, and get member discount on race day.

Nobody wants to contribute to clubs anymore. They want to show up to a perfect track, pay their fee, bitch and whine, then go home. No responsibility. No commitment.
gt80rider
3/27/2019 3:11pm
Low tech, casual, affordable racing, on much tamed down tracks, would be the only way to get the masses to race mx again......,...... Sigh....
3/30/2019 11:16am
It is has nothing to do with our sport overall. It is economics. Mark Blyth, a Prof of Political Economy at Brown pretty much nails it all in this talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqGITb0W4A

There is nothing "the sport" can do to stop whats coming. But don't feel bad. Every other relatively expensive sport or hobby is dying too....
pilotdude
3/30/2019 11:21am
I'm done going to the track to race two 10 minute motos plus a 10 minute practice spread over 10 hours. I want to ride. That's why I now race 1.5 hour GPs, and the Old Timer Nationals that have 5 20 minute motos over Saturday and Sunday.

Washougal in particular needs to change their format. A single 30 minute moto or something like that, WHATEVER. Change it up.

I've strongly considered changing to off-road for more seat time vs. more sitting around time.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
3/30/2019 11:39am
It is has nothing to do with our sport overall. It is economics. Mark Blyth, a Prof of Political Economy at Brown pretty much nails it...
It is has nothing to do with our sport overall. It is economics. Mark Blyth, a Prof of Political Economy at Brown pretty much nails it all in this talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqGITb0W4A

There is nothing "the sport" can do to stop whats coming. But don't feel bad. Every other relatively expensive sport or hobby is dying too....
I know that has a lot to do with it, finances are the reason for me personally and ive heard others say the same, but there is a strong argument in the past 5 years or so a lot of other expensive things have picked up big time, at the exact same time as moto has declined, its like Motocross never recovered from the 2008 recession and a lot of other things are way way up that are expensive too.
Chance1216
5/17/2019 10:07pm
Harv379 wrote:
MX race formats need to be looked at, there's so much that could be improved. For one, it sucks spending a whole day to spin two...
MX race formats need to be looked at, there's so much that could be improved. For one, it sucks spending a whole day to spin two 5-10 minute moto's that can be 6 hrs apart that cost you $45 and whatever other mandatory membership you need for the day that costs an additional $40-50, and you might get a 5 minute practice before the racing. Plus, most peoples attitudes at the track are based off their ego.

There's a reason off road racing numbers are growing, more riding, friendlier crowd, more fun. Just my .02
Alot of people in my age group (40s) participate in poker runs. Its a fun series in which are throughout the state of Washington. There really isn't much of a prize other then raffles but it is fun and still keeps people on their bikes . There's parents with kids that will do the short courses, others such as myself who feel it's an accomplishment completing the course. Think desert 100. Some others of which can be up to and over 45 miles long in technical terrain. No easy task in some areas when it's up to 100 degrees. I've broken several bones, have screws in my ankle and at my age being the soul provider for my family I have to take it somewhat easy. However the atmosphere is enjoyable, most of the time the courses have good scenery and I'm out on my bike with friends and family. It might not be RACING at the track but the there is still a sense of accomplishing something that puts your endurance to the test. I love motocross. So much in fact that when Ascot closed, I came home with my jar of dirt.
KBOLTZ
5/18/2019 12:04am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I’d love to race and am planning on making things work for Big 6 in September. But with 2 young kids, a wife and a new...
I’d love to race and am planning on making things work for Big 6 in September. But with 2 young kids, a wife and a new house I really can’t afford to go racing. Just don’t have that extra income to make it happen. I miss racing so much, but I just can’t do it financially. It’s not possible right now.
Same here Matty. Plan on BIG 6 Gorman race in November but that’s about it. With the way rent is here on the west side of LA, health insurance, daughter, and reg life expenses. Now days I race once a year.

Someone above mentioned that it’s the cost of moto but I’d disagree. My wife and I just had this convo. I estimated that all in I’ve only spent about 5-6k the last 3 years. I bought a yz250 for $1,700 and rebuilt the important stuff $1,500. Helmet, boots, 2 sets of gear all bought on sale $1,200. Now my money goes to gas/oils, general maintenance, and entry fees if I do race. You don’t have to blow your load to be a part of this sport. I would put more of the blame m cost of living and insurance. Just my 2 cents based on my experience.
KBOLTZ
5/18/2019 12:13am
Titan1 wrote:
I don't get the cost of bikes thing...buy a used bike...buy a left over prior year bike...don't like 4 strokes, but a 2 stroke... Saying that...

I am living proof of this method. And I find it quite empowering to pass dudes on my 15 year old bike.
snackfedbear
5/18/2019 12:13am
If there’s a will there’s a way.

I can’t believe I’m reading so many people here who don’t ride. It amazes me the reasons.

I have two boys at 2/newborn, a big ass dog that eats and shits way too much, one income, a car payment, bills and rent making 55k and live in southern CA. I still make it to 5+ races a year and ride nearly 4 times a month. Mostly at the track with entry fees.

I make it happen because I love the sport and I love to race.

Bring the kids to the track. Play with them between motos. Let them smell the dirt and play in it. Have your old lady pack some bologna sandwiches and fill a big gallon of water up to stay hydrated. use ice from the fridge for the cooler. Flip your tire around when it starts losing bite. Save the race gas for after taxes. Buy shit secondhand. Watch YouTube videos and do your own maintenance. Make it work.

A practice day usually runs about 40-50 bucks considering gas and entry fees. Race day obviously more. Sometimes my chick wants to go out to dinner or take the kids to the aquarium for the weekend, no big deal I just have to skip riding that week.

If you’re crunched on time? Well wake up earlier get to the track by 8 and get out of the track by 1030. Come home and have the bike washed and into the garage by 1. The rest of your Saturday has yet to begin and you got some motos in.

If your body hurts that bad start taking it easier on yourself. Learn to ride where you’re not gonna wreck your body.

Don’t be a WEVON and stop making excuses as to why you can’t do what you supposedly love so much you posers.
Chance1216
5/18/2019 11:28am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I’d love to race and am planning on making things work for Big 6 in September. But with 2 young kids, a wife and a new...
I’d love to race and am planning on making things work for Big 6 in September. But with 2 young kids, a wife and a new house I really can’t afford to go racing. Just don’t have that extra income to make it happen. I miss racing so much, but I just can’t do it financially. It’s not possible right now.
KBOLTZ wrote:
Same here Matty. Plan on BIG 6 Gorman race in November but that’s about it. With the way rent is here on the west side of...
Same here Matty. Plan on BIG 6 Gorman race in November but that’s about it. With the way rent is here on the west side of LA, health insurance, daughter, and reg life expenses. Now days I race once a year.

Someone above mentioned that it’s the cost of moto but I’d disagree. My wife and I just had this convo. I estimated that all in I’ve only spent about 5-6k the last 3 years. I bought a yz250 for $1,700 and rebuilt the important stuff $1,500. Helmet, boots, 2 sets of gear all bought on sale $1,200. Now my money goes to gas/oils, general maintenance, and entry fees if I do race. You don’t have to blow your load to be a part of this sport. I would put more of the blame m cost of living and insurance. Just my 2 cents based on my experience.
Funny you mentioned Gorman. I'm actually driving down from Seattle the last week of October to ride there. I grew up in Carson. Moved to the Pac NW in 98. I'm not doing any racing. But this trip has been a long time coming. It gets old getting high fives from trees. I bought a 01 CR 250 for $1800. Been putting money into it over the last few years. Just waiting to get my cylinder back to from millennium hopefully next week. Anyways.... I'll be staying in Circle Canyon for what it's worth.
life_of_jaze
5/18/2019 2:29pm
rongi#401 wrote:
Looking at old gold cup results, on average 50 entries in 250 novice in 2007, last weekend at swapmoto round one, 11. Looking at all the...
Looking at old gold cup results, on average 50 entries in 250 novice in 2007, last weekend at swapmoto round one, 11. Looking at all the amateur nationals that have died, I just watched the evergoodco video of oak hill, wow there is like ten motor homes there. I’ve commited myself to racing at least ten times this year, we all should for our sport, GET OFF OUR BUTTS
I need $25K to do it right this season. You need my Venmo?
5/19/2019 5:30am
For cost, it’s no better in Canada. In 2007 at 17 I worked at Tim Hortons for two summers to buy a new bike. I raced it for three seasons and loved every minute of it. Then, I went to university and accumulated $45000 in debt, had to sell the bike to get buy (plus it was a four stroke and blew up 3x costing over a $1000 bucks a pop). Now, ten years later I finally have a decent job, but between rent, car payments, gas, and insurance there’s simply no way I could afford something even barely raceable. Nothing even remotely raceable under $3000 hear. Really, it’s not just a problem with the sport, but the state of the modern world in general.
Andy7
Fantasy
1191st
5/19/2019 6:18am
I personally don´t race because I can ride 15 times at the track with the cost of 1 race entry. Moreover, I have a friend that wants to get into the sport, but cost is also a negative factor. Some people can´t just spend 2-3k on bike and gear (teenagers especially). Not to mention that you also need transport, maintenance costs, etc. Some friends believe we´re crazy when they hear how much we spend just to go ride on the weekends
Ozy
5/25/2019 10:35pm
rongi#401 wrote:
Looking at old gold cup results, on average 50 entries in 250 novice in 2007, last weekend at swapmoto round one, 11. Looking at all the...
Looking at old gold cup results, on average 50 entries in 250 novice in 2007, last weekend at swapmoto round one, 11. Looking at all the amateur nationals that have died, I just watched the evergoodco video of oak hill, wow there is like ten motor homes there. I’ve commited myself to racing at least ten times this year, we all should for our sport, GET OFF OUR BUTTS
SoCal used to be Motocross Mecca. What happened? Real estate value as the population increased, Noise complaints as houses encroached on existing tracks.

the death spiral of MX started as soon as the average rider needed to take out a loan to buy a bike. Too expensive and too dangerous and only getting worse. I love the sport . . . not sure it can be saved
RexEasely
5/25/2019 10:52pm
Need to convince pretty girls to ride. That will pack them in each week
maico172
5/26/2019 5:04am
I wish more areas did J Day style racing. Two 30min motos and a track thats half woods and half moto made for an awesome day.
did a couple of the j day races here in new england on my 1978 Maico 250...Had a blast!!!!
5/26/2019 8:52am
I took 12 years off riding/racing went to college couldn't find work. Moved across the country started an apprenticeship finished that moved back . I'm finally somewhat established enough where I can afford to ride again.

The differences at the track are vast. It used to be mainly pick ups and Van's small trailers some RV's if you were bigtime. People's bikes were mostly stock gates were packed especially in Junior (C class) they often had qualifiers.

Now today everyone has motorhomes and 5th wheels you're in the minority with a pickup. There's 20 Kids in the C class half have A kit suspension everyone's on a brand new bike.

The local club does practice on Saturdays and races on Sunday. There is twice as many people on Saturday, all the guys with the pickups and the old gear and bikes show up then but they don't want to race.

Racing moto now is perceived as way to serious now no one is a "casual" racer anymore I think that's why you find more guys going to offroad its perceived as more safe by most and its definitely more cost effective aside from a few people I know that are very serious with it most have older gear they but used two strokes and have a great time for a fraction of the cost.

Post a reply to: Our sport is guna die if we don’t start racing

The Latest