Our sport is guna die if we don’t start racing

3/22/2019 9:02am
I wonder if the modern day work schedule is hurting local MX. The days of 9-5 Mon through Fri are gone. More and more people are...
I wonder if the modern day work schedule is hurting local MX. The days of 9-5 Mon through Fri are gone. More and more people are working weekends or just plain have to do normal day to day things on the weekend because that's the only time they have to do it.
I’m low in seniority at FedEx and get a lot of shitty routes with people on vacation, first Missouri State race is this weekend and I won’t be there because I’ve been living at work all week. My soul is crushed. I have a feeling there are a LOT of guys my age going through the same thing.
Johnny Depp
3/22/2019 9:05am
I would race every weekend again if there was a Vet only series. 3 classes would be enough. +40, +50, +60. Show up at 10am for...
I would race every weekend again if there was a Vet only series. 3 classes would be enough. +40, +50, +60. Show up at 10am for practice and be back home by 4pm after racing 2 motos.

Why vet only? Do younger riders scare you? If they were the same speed couldn't everybody get along?
Kenny Lingus
3/22/2019 9:06am
I’m low in seniority at FedEx and get a lot of shitty routes with people on vacation, first Missouri State race is this weekend and I...
I’m low in seniority at FedEx and get a lot of shitty routes with people on vacation, first Missouri State race is this weekend and I won’t be there because I’ve been living at work all week. My soul is crushed. I have a feeling there are a LOT of guys my age going through the same thing.
Having to work most weekends in the summer is what keeps me from racing. Winter weekends are open for me but not much racing going on in the snow.
Sluggo77
3/22/2019 10:01am
Sluggo77 wrote:
I am currently struggling with this issue right now. I am 52 and ready and able to return to the sport, but what discipline and do...
I am currently struggling with this issue right now. I am 52 and ready and able to return to the sport, but what discipline and do I want to race? Back in my day, I raced 3 pro classes, 125, 250 and 500. I was hardcore and got a bang for my effort and $ on the weekends. Than the gate size began to fade, often with only 6 guys on the gate and my interest fizzled. The old racer in me wants a brand new FE KTM 450 and go race again. That bike would cost me close to 14,000 of my Canadian dollars to get out the door. Can I get cheaper, used, etc, of course, but I am a racer, and if I race, why would I handicap myself in any manner. Racing takes a ton of effort and if I am going to "just have fun and half ass it", why race? The very nature of racing is to give it 100%, that is the appeal of it. But if I only get 2 10 minute motos out of a very long day at a track 2-3 hours from home, that doesn't sound very good. Especially if the gate is really small. If there are less than 10 guys on the gate, does it even feel like racing? Not for me. It sounds like I could end up with a very expensive bike with hardly any hours on it. High expense, low reward.
The alternative it seems, a 250-300 2 stroke and give off-road a shot. From what I am hearing it is a ton of fun, not just on track, but off, as the people are more casual and not the big ego motocross crowd. It feels like an easy choice for an older guy who may still want to fuel the competitive juices on occasion, but mostly have fun and get a lot of riding time in.
Tarz483 wrote:
In a Way that just confirms its Death , we already know there is an issue with new people joining, and then to hear somebody that...
In a Way that just confirms its Death , we already know there is an issue with new people joining, and then to hear somebody that already loves motocross feels like there best bet is to just go race off road is like a nail in the coffin, im not saying your points are wrong tho, but there is just something about a track thats appealing to me more than going from point A to Point B , ive even wished the tracks were a little smaller at times , so that you could watch the whole race all the way around the track , i kinda feel like a mile is too long sometimes, and id be ok with a half mile , or even an outdoor track just a little bigger than a supercross track ,but also as far as off road i personally dont like riding through trees, just my opinion.
Yeah I get that too. Hammering around a bad ass motocross track and maximum effort is a beautiful thing. I wish MX was a more convenient sport than there wouldn't be so much angst about it. If you could do moto almost like going to the gym 3-5 times a week, that would be awesome and so much more worth the investment. E-bikes and urban mx tracks maybe the thing for just that, but that is a ways away.

The Shop

rehan53
3/22/2019 10:25am
I would race every weekend again if there was a Vet only series. 3 classes would be enough. +40, +50, +60. Show up at 10am for...
I would race every weekend again if there was a Vet only series. 3 classes would be enough. +40, +50, +60. Show up at 10am for practice and be back home by 4pm after racing 2 motos.

Why vet only? Do younger riders scare you? If they were the same speed couldn't everybody get along?
There's a difference in attitude that comes with age, even if you're the same speed.
Sweetd31
3/22/2019 10:39am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 10:39am
gnarwhip wrote:
The real estate market is near all time highs and no one can afford to live in SoCal, unless you bought 10+years ago. People can’t afford...
The real estate market is near all time highs and no one can afford to live in SoCal, unless you bought 10+years ago. People can’t afford to rent here, and certainly can’t afford to race. Maybe Az or NM is a good place to live if you want to race, or the midwest. Sad but true.
Even New Mexico isn’t quite what it used to be. 2000s was an amateur-pro training pipeline with hidden training tracks all over the city of albuquerque, and local tracks everywhere across the state.

At the time Star racing Yamaha was in its infancy and operated out of albuquerque.
3/22/2019 10:40am

Same reason as most. There are 24 classes (48 gate drops/day) at the AMA tracks in our state. 14+ hours of waiting for 8 laps and I get to pay $50 for the privilege? Yeah no that's not happening.

Johnny Depp
3/22/2019 10:46am

Same reason as most. There are 24 classes (48 gate drops/day) at the AMA tracks in our state. 14+ hours of waiting for 8 laps and...
Same reason as most. There are 24 classes (48 gate drops/day) at the AMA tracks in our state. 14+ hours of waiting for 8 laps and I get to pay $50 for the privilege? Yeah no that's not happening.

I think you miss my point. If having say only 6 classes of 40-50 required grouping riders by speed alone, would you be in? Obviously shorter day, FULL gates, rider's evenly matched regardless of age or CC by electronic qualifying. Would you give it a shot?
Johnny Depp
3/22/2019 10:50am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 11:14am

rehan53 wrote:
There's a difference in attitude that comes with age, even if you're the same speed.
There are a lot of arguments against grouping riders together, even arguments about allowing ATV's to race on the same day different class. As long as each little niche in the sport wants their own private space and time the problem will only get worse as we have seen. There is no other answer to the time problem other than fuller gates and tracks. My question is would you be willing to be part of the solution by riding with (heaven forbid) all size bikes and ages and genders that are the same speed?

And FYI, at 61 sometimes adrenalin still gets the better of me, and I'm sure the guy's riding with me don't feel safe around ME, so age is no certain panacea to mindset.
3/22/2019 10:55am
Same reason as most. There are 24 classes (48 gate drops/day) at the AMA tracks in our state. 14+ hours of waiting for 8 laps and...

I think you miss my point. If having say only 6 classes of 40-50 required grouping riders by speed alone, would you be in? Obviously shorter...
I think you miss my point. If having say only 6 classes of 40-50 required grouping riders by speed alone, would you be in? Obviously shorter day, FULL gates, rider's evenly matched regardless of age or CC by electronic qualifying. Would you give it a shot?
Yes all for it. 3 open classes. Beginner, Novice and Pro. I could care less if I get smoked by a kid on a 85cc.

Damn could you imagine full gates again?
Spudnut
3/22/2019 11:09am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 11:18am
TeamGreen wrote:
A question, or 3, for the gallery... 1. Don't we really need to just get "more people out on dirt bikes", again? (Remember the '80s when...
A question, or 3, for the gallery...

1. Don't we really need to just get "more people out on dirt bikes", again? (Remember the '80s when it seemed like EVERYONE went "riding"...?)

2. Would that make more people interested in racing?

3. Do we need to always be focused on "RACE" bikes when the truly affordable stuff is available and inexpensive...?
KLX140G: $3,400
CRF250F: $4,600
TTR110E: $2,300
DR-Z70E: $1,850

In the California Off-Road Park system, I am seeing more people back out there this year. That's a good thing.

I honestly believe that just getting people back outdoors and riding trails and off-road areas is the way to get the sport back to it's former glory.

All the while, YES! I'm also racing more. And it's more fun than I can explain.

To the OP, GREAT THREAD!
You make a great point. I started racing on an xr80 in the 65 class back in 03 after being a full time trail rider for a couple summers. I placed like shit but had the time of my life. You already know I had the #14 on it just like kdub lol
Spudnut
3/22/2019 11:12am

I think you miss my point. If having say only 6 classes of 40-50 required grouping riders by speed alone, would you be in? Obviously shorter...
Yes all for it. 3 open classes. Beginner, Novice and Pro. I could care less if I get smoked by a kid on a 85cc. Damn...
Yes all for it. 3 open classes. Beginner, Novice and Pro. I could care less if I get smoked by a kid on a 85cc.

I would love this, would be able to have longer motos too. I personally don’t mind spending all day at the track bullshitting with my buddies as long as my motos are longer than 5 laps
BobbyM
3/22/2019 11:18am
The problem is the size of the plastic trophies... Too small... Might as well give out ribbons. Who will spend 500 bucks for a 12 inch trophy? Now if those trophies were 2ft tall and made out of wood most of you fucking squids would be wfo for those suckers... Fucking squids.
Wade221
3/22/2019 11:30am
Not always the case, and obviously not applicable to everyone here, but this past Sunday the laps were already 4-5 laps and I had to wait forever for my 2nd moto, just to get told all 2nd Moto’s were getting shortened by 1 lap because the B.S intermission thing went long.. cool... waited 4 hours for a 3 lap moto.
Frank
3/22/2019 11:41am
Problem gang is LL's has 36 classes lol. The AMA sanctioned tracks are not going to change. They would rather see the sport die. Unfortunately every track is our state is AMA sanctioned for insurance reasons. At the end of the day the AMA is the only governing body that can save amateur motocross and it seems they don't give a fuck.
Titan1
3/22/2019 11:41am
disbanded wrote:
I've spent over 1.6 million on hair plugs
I need to spend 1.6 million on hair plugs. HA!
Tenacious P
3/22/2019 11:49am
peltier626 wrote:
I prefer to ride and enjoy myself in my own comfort zone. That's what makes me happy. I'm not paying double the $ for half the...
I prefer to ride and enjoy myself in my own comfort zone. That's what makes me happy. I'm not paying double the $ for half the ride time to prove I'm the fastest in the 37 1/2 year old, pump gas, stock motor, no A kit, ABCD class. Makes no sense to me.
I totally agree. I'm 30 and will continue to ride the track 30+ times a year for the rest of my life if I can stay healthy, which means no racing.

Racing would dramatically lower my overall life-seat-time.

Listen to Daniel Blair, he is like 33 and constantly talks about how beat up his whole body is from a mediocre (sorry DB!) racing career.

I order parts/gear about 2x/mos... over the course of the next 30 years of riding I will help keep the sport going more than a guy who races hard for 5 years then hangs up his boots.
CozMan
3/22/2019 11:56am
Yes all for it. 3 open classes. Beginner, Novice and Pro. I could care less if I get smoked by a kid on a 85cc. Damn...

this would be terrible. Some pro on a 450 lands on a kid on an 85 and you'll be in lawsuit land.

However, yes, we should ditch all the subsections of classes. 50, 65, 85, 125, 250 (either stroke), and a 450 class.

That's it. Each moto could be longer, gates would be far fuller. If you are a squid, you'll get last cause guys in your class will be stupid fast. Oh well.
3/22/2019 11:57am
peltier626 wrote:
I prefer to ride and enjoy myself in my own comfort zone. That's what makes me happy. I'm not paying double the $ for half the...
I prefer to ride and enjoy myself in my own comfort zone. That's what makes me happy. I'm not paying double the $ for half the ride time to prove I'm the fastest in the 37 1/2 year old, pump gas, stock motor, no A kit, ABCD class. Makes no sense to me.
I totally agree. I'm 30 and will continue to ride the track 30+ times a year for the rest of my life if I can stay...
I totally agree. I'm 30 and will continue to ride the track 30+ times a year for the rest of my life if I can stay healthy, which means no racing.

Racing would dramatically lower my overall life-seat-time.

Listen to Daniel Blair, he is like 33 and constantly talks about how beat up his whole body is from a mediocre (sorry DB!) racing career.

I order parts/gear about 2x/mos... over the course of the next 30 years of riding I will help keep the sport going more than a guy who races hard for 5 years then hangs up his boots.
I agree and have done the same for the last 10 years but that makes us motocross bike owners not motocrossers. That's been nagging on me big time lately. Nothing worse than a poser.
3/22/2019 12:22pm
I'm not surprised MX is falling off a bit in the amateur scene. It's Expensive and ride time vs cost is not great. I used to race almost every weekend and even in two classes, there was a LOT of sitting around waiting to ride.

That said, off-road racing is picking up a lot. Here in IA, we have a solid turnout at almost all of our harescrambles. That's just the local scene. Look at NEPG and GNCC racing. Just this weekend alone in Florida, it looks like there will be close to 600 riders for the national enduro. And believe me, when the day is done those guys will be ready to be done riding!
cable
3/22/2019 1:31pm
Rental bikes. $50 first sign up free.
STLSharky
3/22/2019 1:35pm
Moto man wrote:
Dude, that is such bullshit and I am sick of ignorant people falling back onto that excuse. Any hobby is expensive and has no cap on...
Dude, that is such bullshit and I am sick of ignorant people falling back onto that excuse. Any hobby is expensive and has no cap on the money you can spend. Camping, hunting, MT Biking, fucking gaming. Very easy to spend 10K on whatever you enjoy doing.

Entry to Moto could cost $500 and it really wouldn’t change anything. People will still spend most their time on X Box and Grinder.
STLSharky wrote:
Bullshit, I spent 1.6 million racing Motocross from 2002-present. I understand people don't have to spend that much but if your competitive you will spend alot...
Bullshit, I spent 1.6 million racing Motocross from 2002-present. I understand people don't have to spend that much
but if your competitive you will spend alot more than, gaming, fishing whatever you stated.
Titan1 wrote:
$1.6 Million? Holy smokes!...Thats $100k/year!

I hope you were more than competitive...I hope that was racing the nationals and supercross...not just racing local series.
NOPE.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/22/2019 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 2:03pm

CozMan wrote:
this would be terrible. Some pro on a 450 lands on a kid on an 85 and you'll be in lawsuit land. However, yes, we should...
this would be terrible. Some pro on a 450 lands on a kid on an 85 and you'll be in lawsuit land.

However, yes, we should ditch all the subsections of classes. 50, 65, 85, 125, 250 (either stroke), and a 450 class.

That's it. Each moto could be longer, gates would be far fuller. If you are a squid, you'll get last cause guys in your class will be stupid fast. Oh well.
It Definitely needs Changes but this Dont work for Beginners and slow guys , because they would get Lapped and probably be scared when the Fast guys jumped past them, But i definitely agree change is needed .
I really think splitting up the racing into 2 Days would be a good start , instead of it all being Done on a Saturday or Sunday, devide it into half Saturday and Half sunday , than both days can be shorter and possibly lengthen practice and more laps if wanted/neeeded.
Ive seem this come up before and the response right away is that this idea cuts into the tracks wallet. By having to pay workers an extra day and work more themselves etc
But i guess how bad do people want to see improvements,
Im pretty sure there are track owners that see these threads and it seems like its always the same stuff being said over and over ,
And people are literally saying they are leaving and going to try off road etc, and planning to leave motocross.
So if i was a track owner i would be trying some new stuff asap , and i cant remember if i said this or not but i know ive thought it ,
For people that say they are worried about jumps and danger, i wonder if its ever been tried to Have an option lane, kinda like a joker lane per se , that goes around some of the Bigger jumps,
Where one way has the bigger jump and one has no jump or really easy jumps. And for beginner class and vet c ,and SR classes etc , they put up some hay bales and those classes take the easy lanes.and A and B classes take the lanes with the bigger jumps
That way the beginners arent even tempted to do jumps that they shouldn't be doing anyway.
Moto man
3/22/2019 1:57pm
Tarz483 wrote:
It Definitely needs Changes but this Dont work for Beginners and slow guys , because they would get Lapped and probably be scared when the Fast...
It Definitely needs Changes but this Dont work for Beginners and slow guys , because they would get Lapped and probably be scared when the Fast guys jumped past them, But i definitely agree change is needed .
I really think splitting up the racing into 2 Days would be a good start , instead of it all being Done on a Saturday or Sunday, devide it into half Saturday and Half sunday , than both days can be shorter and possibly lengthen practice and more laps if wanted/neeeded.
Ive seem this come up before and the response right away is that this idea cuts into the tracks wallet. By having to pay workers an extra day and work more themselves etc
Im pretty sure there are track owners that see these threads and it seems like its always the same stuff being said over and over ,
And people are literally saying they are leaving and going to try off road etc, and planning to leave motocross.
So if i was a track owner i would be trying some new stuff asap , and i cant remember if i said this or not but i know ive thought it ,
For people that say they are worried about jumps and danger, i wonder if its ever been tried to Have an option lane, kinda like a joker lane per se , that goes around some of the Bigger jumps,
Where one way has the bigger jump and one has no jump or really easy jumps. And for beginner class and vet c ,and SR classes etc , they put up some hay bales and those classes take the easy lanes.and A and B classes take the lanes with the bigger jumps
That way the beginners arent even tempted to do jumps that they shouldn't be doing anyway.
I am now dumber after reading that.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/22/2019 1:58pm
Also if its Because of Loretta's that there has to be so many classes that makes no sense because Loretta's is a week long , so why would everyone try to squeeze all those classes into one day.
Johnny Depp
3/22/2019 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 2:26pm

CozMan wrote:
this would be terrible. Some pro on a 450 lands on a kid on an 85 and you'll be in lawsuit land. However, yes, we should...

Tarz483 wrote:
It Definitely needs Changes but this Dont work for Beginners and slow guys , because they would get Lapped and probably be scared when the Fast...
Beginners and slow guys getting lapped by beginners and slow guys is not a problem, they have their own group so no worries.

2 days makes sense, since in most cases the insurance policy costs the same for a weekend as a day, but yes the labor is a real overhead, although tracks shoot themself in the foot by adding blind jumps that each require a flagger and are the source of most ambulance rides as well as deter lower level rider's from showing in the 1st place, and continually injure rider's (customer's) who often never return to the sport. Great business model to "kill off" your best customer's Smile

I feel like you are reading my notes, as I am proposing a track layout where every jump has 3 choice's, the hard line, the easy line (less jump face angle) and the bypass (which already exists due to the dozer's going around the jump faces when tilling. Possibly make everyone satisfied and increase entries with this method.

Pay no attention to the naysayers, there will be plenty of them whenever changes are proposed. If ideas can't be tossed around on a forum then what good are forums?

Titan1
3/22/2019 2:23pm
STLSharky wrote:
Bullshit, I spent 1.6 million racing Motocross from 2002-present. I understand people don't have to spend that much but if your competitive you will spend alot...
Bullshit, I spent 1.6 million racing Motocross from 2002-present. I understand people don't have to spend that much
but if your competitive you will spend alot more than, gaming, fishing whatever you stated.
Titan1 wrote:
$1.6 Million? Holy smokes!...Thats $100k/year!

I hope you were more than competitive...I hope that was racing the nationals and supercross...not just racing local series.
STLSharky wrote:
NOPE.
So you are spending $100K/year racing a local yokal series? Is this just for you? racing Pro? Or do you have kids racing as well? Are you factoring in lost wages to that? Truck and camper?

You are boggling my mind...HOW?
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
3/22/2019 2:26pm
Titan1 wrote:
So you are spending $100K/year racing a local yokal series? Is this just for you? racing Pro? Or do you have kids racing as well? Are...
So you are spending $100K/year racing a local yokal series? Is this just for you? racing Pro? Or do you have kids racing as well? Are you factoring in lost wages to that? Truck and camper?

You are boggling my mind...HOW?
I'm guessing it's mostly on medical bills.
Indy mxer
3/22/2019 3:56pm
CozMan wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:
Beginners and slow guys getting lapped by beginners and slow guys is not a problem, they have their own group so no worries. 2 days makes...
Beginners and slow guys getting lapped by beginners and slow guys is not a problem, they have their own group so no worries.

2 days makes sense, since in most cases the insurance policy costs the same for a weekend as a day, but yes the labor is a real overhead, although tracks shoot themself in the foot by adding blind jumps that each require a flagger and are the source of most ambulance rides as well as deter lower level rider's from showing in the 1st place, and continually injure rider's (customer's) who often never return to the sport. Great business model to "kill off" your best customer's Smile

I feel like you are reading my notes, as I am proposing a track layout where every jump has 3 choice's, the hard line, the easy line (less jump face angle) and the bypass (which already exists due to the dozer's going around the jump faces when tilling. Possibly make everyone satisfied and increase entries with this method.

Pay no attention to the naysayers, there will be plenty of them whenever changes are proposed. If ideas can't be tossed around on a forum then what good are forums?

I've said it a bunch on here, but here it is again. In most of the US there's not a ton of money running a motocross track unless you get a National. That's just fact.

When we do a race I figure we have about $3500 to 4000 invested before we drop the first gate. That includes EMT's, labor, trophies, fuel and insurance. Add to that equipment maint and repairs if needed.
Most tracks I know need 100 to 150 riders to break even.
Now also subtract rider payouts. None of this includes property tax and insurance, mowing and general upkeep. Not to mention money spent on heavy equipment.

We all race and ride too. We would love to have less classes. But as I said, everyone wants some classes eliminated, just not theirs. We would love to have less, but promoters are afraid to piss any riders off. They need all of them they can get.
And you need that many classes so all the riders have the option of riding multiple classes.

Saturday and Sunday split racing will never work. Too many people work Saturdays and it greatly increases the tracks expenses, without increasing income.

Many of you have good ideas and make great points.
But there's no easy answer. If there was we wouldn't be in this situation.

Post a reply to: Our sport is guna die if we don’t start racing

The Latest