Our sport is guna die if we don’t start racing

3/21/2019 10:25am
rongi#401 wrote:
I agree with cutting classes, there was one other guy in +25 int, racing really gets fun when there is more than 20 guys in a...
I agree with cutting classes, there was one other guy in +25 int, racing really gets fun when there is more than 20 guys in a class
Agreed. We get so crazy over dividing age classes and what not that the classes are so thin. I mean really, do we need +25, +35, and +40?

Even back in 2004-2006 when I was on my second racing "career" I often only had 6-10 guys at most in the +25 and +35 classes. And vet expert, shit, lucky if 5 signed up. Sounds great to say I got 3rd in expert....but with 5 riders it wasn't much to brag about lol.

Everyone wants the cheap trophy so much so they try to shoehorn into a class they think they can place in. If I battled hard and got 5th in a class of 15-20 riders, that shit is FUN.
3/21/2019 10:27am
danzig138 wrote:
Dualsport. Go explore new and exciting shit. Who cares if you can twist a throttle faster than the other guy...haha.
Off topic, but the answer to your question is racers. That's the whole point of racing.
Titan1
3/21/2019 10:33am
kage173 wrote:
Urbanization is biggest cause. Alta would've saved moto but that's dead
BAMX wrote:
I agree on the urbanization but not on Alta. It is all about places to ride. Growing up in Southern CA in the 80's, there were...
I agree on the urbanization but not on Alta. It is all about places to ride. Growing up in Southern CA in the 80's, there were so many places to ride for free and right from your house. Just about every neighborhood had a canyon nearby with trails. There were always other neighborhood kids with bikes. Cops were few and far between and didn't care unless you were on the street or riding right next to the houses.

Now, most of the canyons are full of houses. The few canyons left have been designated wildlife sanctuaries where you are lucky to even be able to ride a mountain bike and only if you stay on trail while battling clueless hikers. If you want to ride moto, you will likely need to drive at least 30 minutes and pay for the privilege. Free riding areas are over an hour away. Instead of the cost of fuel and some chain lube, it is at close $50 bucks between gate fees and truck fuel. Plus, it is now a production. You can't just go rip for an hour behind the house. You have to plan your fun around track days and hours. If you are a kid, the parents now need to set aside time. All of these small things add up and the costs of bikes doesn't help either. If kids aren't even riding, they aren't going to race.
This!

This is why the public land debate should matter far more to the overall moto industry. Virtually everyone I know starting riding in the “hill” by their house. I did! Is see the neighbor kids riding up the street to the hills on their bikes and I wanted one...my parents eventually bought me one (a cheap XR80) and I rode the wheels off that thing (in jeans and b-ball shoes and a helmet...with all my friends. I loved it and have been riding since then.

Access to public land is key in the growth of this sport. The greenies want to turned into a museum (look but don’t touch)...and they are winning!

The entire industry needs to get involved in the public land use debate and battle...fund a huge “get out and ride” campaign, start raising awareness at the races, start funding national groups (AMA, Blue Ribbon coalition, etc) to fight to keep riding areas open...and just get kids out on bikes. This sport is amazing! And if we can get more kids riding, we will end up with more kids riding as adults and then getting their kids into it.

STLSharky
3/21/2019 10:34am
Brent wrote:
The biggest problem is the cost to get into motocross for a beginner. What outsider is going to spend 10 grand on bike and gear to...
The biggest problem is the cost to get into motocross for a beginner.
What outsider is going to spend 10 grand on bike and gear to get started ?
As older legacy racers stop racing because they don’t want to jump huge triple jumps at 50, new blood isn’t coming into the sport.
Moto man wrote:
Dude, that is such bullshit and I am sick of ignorant people falling back onto that excuse. Any hobby is expensive and has no cap on...
Dude, that is such bullshit and I am sick of ignorant people falling back onto that excuse. Any hobby is expensive and has no cap on the money you can spend. Camping, hunting, MT Biking, fucking gaming. Very easy to spend 10K on whatever you enjoy doing.

Entry to Moto could cost $500 and it really wouldn’t change anything. People will still spend most their time on X Box and Grinder.
Bullshit, I spent 1.6 million racing Motocross from 2002-present. I understand people don't have to spend that much
but if your competitive you will spend alot more than, gaming, fishing whatever you stated.

The Shop

Gandorlf
3/21/2019 10:38am
It cost me around £3500 to get Involved not including buying my van to transport the bike. Buying a bike is half the battle. I bought a used 2009 Kawi to get involved and then upgraded a year or so later! I did all this at 22 (I'm almost 26 now) so it's doable but it's a big commitment 100%.

Just got my racing license and got my first race in 2 weeks.
Titan1
3/21/2019 10:39am
Brent wrote:
The biggest problem is the cost to get into motocross for a beginner. What outsider is going to spend 10 grand on bike and gear to...
As older legacy racers stop racing because they don’t want to jump huge triple jumps at 50, new blood isn’t coming into the sport.
Moto man wrote:
Dude, that is such bullshit and I am sick of ignorant people falling back onto that excuse. Any hobby is expensive and has no cap on...
Dude, that is such bullshit and I am sick of ignorant people falling back onto that excuse. Any hobby is expensive and has no cap on the money you can spend. Camping, hunting, MT Biking, fucking gaming. Very easy to spend 10K on whatever you enjoy doing.

Entry to Moto could cost $500 and it really wouldn’t change anything. People will still spend most their time on X Box and Grinder.
STLSharky wrote:
Bullshit, I spent 1.6 million racing Motocross from 2002-present. I understand people don't have to spend that much but if your competitive you will spend alot...
Bullshit, I spent 1.6 million racing Motocross from 2002-present. I understand people don't have to spend that much
but if your competitive you will spend alot more than, gaming, fishing whatever you stated.
$1.6 Million? Holy smokes!...Thats $100k/year!

I hope you were more than competitive...I hope that was racing the nationals and supercross...not just racing local series.
tp4
3/21/2019 10:47am
say it one more time..tracks to dangerous for newbies..even someone that has skills risks to high Now a days.
need simple out door style tracks to bring the fun back...supercross is not for bike sales..the fun factor...long motos..remember when the guy in shape gets a bad start and works to the front..while others tired out..it was an endurance sport..not a hole shot sport..more free areas to ride.. practice..this pay to practice is way over board..simple is better..I for sure know I don't want a lap top to work on my bike...stupid..
I could go on and on..i'm sure you get the idea.
rongi#401
3/21/2019 10:48am
I right now am riding a used cr125 and driving a Toyota pickup as a gas sipper, I can ride three days a week in Palmdale on gnarly rough natural tracks for like 60 bucks in gas a week, people new to the sport need to be shown that it doesn’t have to cost 10k for a bike and 30k for a sprinter van to get started
Airick
Fantasy
2773rd
3/21/2019 10:50am
yz133rider wrote:
Start making outdoor motocross tracks outdoor motocross again and not outdoor supercross where the risk and skill level is out of reach for 95% of the...
Start making outdoor motocross tracks outdoor motocross again and not outdoor supercross where the risk and skill level is out of reach for 95% of the riding community. Tracks are built for the top 5% a riders and are too intimidating/not fun for a good majority of riders. They end up not staying with it, going to off-road, or just fucking off in the woods or fields as opposed to going to tracks.
Yep, and thus the need to have a ton of classes for the saftey aspect...
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/21/2019 10:51am
rongi#401 wrote:
I right now am riding a used cr125 and driving a Toyota pickup as a gas sipper, I can ride three days a week in Palmdale...
I right now am riding a used cr125 and driving a Toyota pickup as a gas sipper, I can ride three days a week in Palmdale on gnarly rough natural tracks for like 60 bucks in gas a week, people new to the sport need to be shown that it doesn’t have to cost 10k for a bike and 30k for a sprinter van to get started
Where have you been riding? I know of a few places but have no idea where they are exactly
rongi#401
3/22/2019 12:56am
I have no idea how this got locked, maybe I somehow pocket clicked the lock button??
Dougy1
3/22/2019 3:21am
I just bought my son a new klx 110 after deciding to not buy highly strung Ktm as he only rides once every 4 to six weeks. Best decision I’ve made as a father to buy him something that is easy to manage not something that I have to hold my breathe every time he rides it. I often think parents are buying kids over powered bikes for their skills My son raced bmx here in Australia for 5 years and actually found it’s actually less crashes touch wood then bmx ( overall)
The tracks I take him too are manicured and full time employees looking after them it’s as safe as practicable it can be They are all 1/12 hour drive plus which makes it difficult as I grew up being able to ride after school in my local tracks.
But racing moto is not our plan but just enjoying riding.

roninho
3/22/2019 4:29am
Tomorrow 2 clubraces at 2 tracks within 15 miles of my parents home. Guessing the mx2 (my class) will have 25 riders each, total number of riders for the day will be 75 each is my guestimate (based on the previous races).
Next week another clubraces at a different track, again within 15 miles of my parents home, and i'd expect 100+ riders at that event.

The problem over here isn't participation, the problem is that slowly tracks have to be closed due to noise/environment/building projects with no replacement tracks popping up. I live 50 miles from my parents and unfortunately for me the closest trackes are roughly 65 miles away. There used to be tracks nearby but those have been closed in the past 30 years. Actually it is a perfect region for motocross: 300.000 people in 3 cities surrounded by 100 miles of sparsely populated agricultural land, but unfurtunately almost all tracks have been closed in the past.
DoctorJD
3/22/2019 5:49am
Dougy1 wrote:
I just bought my son a new klx 110 after deciding to not buy highly strung Ktm as he only rides once every 4 to six...
I just bought my son a new klx 110 after deciding to not buy highly strung Ktm as he only rides once every 4 to six weeks. Best decision I’ve made as a father to buy him something that is easy to manage not something that I have to hold my breathe every time he rides it. I often think parents are buying kids over powered bikes for their skills My son raced bmx here in Australia for 5 years and actually found it’s actually less crashes touch wood then bmx ( overall)
The tracks I take him too are manicured and full time employees looking after them it’s as safe as practicable it can be They are all 1/12 hour drive plus which makes it difficult as I grew up being able to ride after school in my local tracks.
But racing moto is not our plan but just enjoying riding.

Enjoy, and don't feel pressured to race. I raced for about 15 years, and when it came time to buy my son a bike, we went in with a "have fun" mission. I never mentioned racing to him. He had two of his best friends who raced (and he was at least as fast as they were) who always pushed him to race, but he never did. He loved riding, and was damn good at it. So we left it there. He's in college now, and only rides his mountain bike.

For me, I still have my YZ250 sitting in the corner of my shop, but it rarely gets used. The closest riding area to me is almost an hour away. And then I have to pay about $40 to ride. It takes me every bit of thirty minutes to get all my shit together and loaded on my truck to go ride. That doesn't count all the time I spent during the week washing the bike, cleaning filters, etc. Then I agonize all the way to the track about how dangerous all of this is.

Conversely, I can decide to ride my mountain bike on a whim. I can throw my mtb over the tailgate of my truck and be at the trailhead in 15 minutes. No fuss, no muss. Oh, and I'm in total heaven the whole time I'm riding. No anxiety, no pressure. Sorry, in my stage of life, my mental condition is as important as anything. My down time should be enjoyable. Moto has become a fking circus. I love it, but I hate what it's become.
Mossy
3/22/2019 5:59am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 6:05am
I’m not going to lie this kind of hits the nail on the head for me. I’m 22, didn’t start riding till I was 18 haven’t ride in about a year and a half due to it just being too damn expensive man (not having the extra money for a truck to transport bike, insurance for truck, bike/truck maintenance). I have a mortgage, car payment, all the other bills, and I honestly if I buy a pickup truck soon then that’s less money for me every month due to insurance coverage on it.

Then I see the kids that ride C class that have been riding since they were 6 years old, throwing it sideways, jumping the big jumps with ease, hauling ass, taking big risks. Why are these kids in the C class? If I get hurt, it’s game over. Bye bye house and everything I’ve worked for. The thought in my head is that it’s just not worth it. If I was 16-18 with NFG (no f*** given) then it’d be different, but once you start growing up you can’t take the risks you used to be able to.

Oh and the number of classes always sounds unappealing as well. I don’t care if I finish last, I just want to race on a almost full gate. It sounds so fucking dumb to race against 4 other people, I can do that at a friends house.

I really hope to be getting back into the sport here soon though. I was supposed to get a new bike and start riding again last summer. The truck I bought used turned out to be a big POS money pit, a bunch of financially hindering things came up throughout the year, and I just never ended up being able to afford the bike, or get another truck. Will try again this spring/summer.
Question
3/22/2019 6:28am
Brent wrote:
Moto man wrote:

I disagree ; i started "mx" on leased Pws 50 at 3 then Pws 80 at 5 (and qr and atc and quads) until my parents saw I was hooked up and bought me a 80 cr for my 9th birthday. At that time mx was popular and lots of kids started that way. Not with 5 grand 50's.

Leased? Yes, a little driving school that had about 10 bikes to lease, and a nice track that was changed every year, for cheap (like 100 for the yearly card then 10 bucks for a full afternoon, actually cheaper than a baby sitter!).

I have changed of region and had no time since but I can't wait to go back, hopefully this year or next one, and thank them for taking care of me when I was a child.
Stuntman949
3/22/2019 7:05am
Moto man wrote:

STLSharky wrote:
Bullshit, I spent 1.6 million racing Motocross from 2002-present. I understand people don't have to spend that much but if your competitive you will spend alot...
Titan1 wrote:
$1.6 Million? Holy smokes!...Thats $100k/year!

I hope you were more than competitive...I hope that was racing the nationals and supercross...not just racing local series.
That's a lot of scratch just to take down Brody
Johnny Depp
3/22/2019 7:41am
dh893 wrote:
Here's a large part of the problem. There are far too many classes because everyone wants a shot at a plastic trophy, even if it means...
Here's a large part of the problem. There are far too many classes because everyone wants a shot at a plastic trophy, even if it means "racing" one other guy. Look at this list of classes from my district and tell me there isn't something wrong here. I count 45 classes total, which is insane. There is absolutely no reason at all to have all of these vet age classes. Have 25,35 and 45+ A and a combined B/C, and one super senior class with no classifications. No way should you race a different class every 5 years after you are 25 just because you can't beat the guys 5 years younger than you. At some point the older guys just need to drop their egos and simply have fun riding with each other and not get butthurt when they aren't capable of winning. All of this is just contributing to a day at the track that gets to be way to long for the effort and money involved. I've grown up in moto, but for the first time ever I think I will be trying my hand at offroad this year to get some bang for my buck and only racing select moto events.
59 classes at JS7 Spring Nationals this week, they run all week to fit them in.

Classes, at their core, are a method of handicapping. The system we have today evolved from before the technology made it practical to qualify riders for a handicap. It has progressed more as promoters have adjusted so that they can make more money (which is not a bad thing) by making it more possible to enter more classes. The unintended consequences are what you see on this thread, they have chased others away. The question then becomes, if you can convince riders to come back in masses large enough to overcome the loss of multiple class income per rider by a fair, condensed competitive electronic handicapping structure based on skill (lap times) alone with full gates and a short day with longer motos? No age classes, no CC classes, only full gates based on skill, and separate the small wheel bikes.

Flesh206
3/22/2019 7:48am
Simply put. People make time for what and who interests them.
BrysonP204
3/22/2019 7:51am
Everyone can say it’s money or this and that in different parts of the nation, but yes local ametuer racing is sad these days compared to my golden era (late 90s early 00s). Local races typically have maybe have 4-10 people a gate unless it’s C with 10-15 or A draws decent gate because money to be made. Yet practice days are jam packed. People should try to race at least once a month, 2 classes at $40 (here in Texas) and it would grow. I always try to get a big group of friends to hit one a month because then you know for those certain classes there will be at least 4-5 extra people on the gate and make it more than 10 people a class which is way better than 5

In Texas we have the Pro Challenge that draws a huge crowd and full gates and that’s what racing is all about. 30-40 people coming into the first corner and all out battle the whole time.

But ametuer racing isn’t completely dead. I went to the JS7 national to spectate this week (broken jaw and wired shut at the moment) and wow! It’s almost the same size as Loretta’s! Just about every oem was there with a rig and tons of vendors and support. With over 1500+ entries, you figure at least 750+ families. Walking the pits we maybe saw 15 people pitted out of just a pick up truck. Evvvveryone had high top Mercedes vans decked out or actual rigs and trailers with at least 2 bikes that weren’t stock sitting out front. Point I’m making is 90% of the people had 100k+ setups. So everyone can say the sport is dying and it’s expensive and everything else, but go to js7 or Loretta’s, there is still lots of people spending the money and keeping it alive. It’s just a double edged sword. No one wants to race local because the entries are so low and it cost $120 to race for the weekend, and to race at a national level it can easily be close to 6 figures. There doesn’t seem to be much of a middle ground anymore with ametuer racing
diz330
3/22/2019 7:56am
Local MX may be on the decline but I would say off road recreational riding is picking up. With KTM making white bikes, OEM's making special...
Local MX may be on the decline but I would say off road recreational riding is picking up. With KTM making white bikes, OEM's making special editions, more gear companies starting up, gear companies expanding their lines with helmets/ boots etc., play bike models being updated, new graphics companies and even new tire manufacturers, somebody is buying this stuff. So one would have to think some new blood is coming in. New businesses don't usually mean a dying market.
Or you could look at it from the other side of the coin that they are trying everything they can to stay relevant and appealing because their other products aren't bringing in the revenue they used to. Not saying that is the case but it could be.
3/22/2019 7:57am
I would race every weekend again if there was a Vet only series. 3 classes would be enough. +40, +50, +60. Show up at 10am for practice and be back home by 4pm after racing 2 motos.

hogkiller
3/22/2019 8:05am
Brent wrote:
RexEasely wrote:
I think the biggest problem is acceptance not cost. A beginner showing up on an XR 200 with work boots and street bike helmet will be...
I think the biggest problem is acceptance not cost. A beginner showing up on an XR 200 with work boots and street bike helmet will be heckled by the cool guys. That's why it's important to establish riding clubs to attract new riders. Right now it's individuals not a community.
Showing up on an XR with work boots and street bike helmet in 1970 that was the cool guys lol. how time and cost to race has changed I miss the old days. anyone on a dirt bike no matter what year dirt bike or how old your riding gear we where all cool guys
Sluggo77
3/22/2019 8:08am
I am currently struggling with this issue right now. I am 52 and ready and able to return to the sport, but what discipline and do I want to race? Back in my day, I raced 3 pro classes, 125, 250 and 500. I was hardcore and got a bang for my effort and $ on the weekends. Than the gate size began to fade, often with only 6 guys on the gate and my interest fizzled. The old racer in me wants a brand new FE KTM 450 and go race again. That bike would cost me close to 14,000 of my Canadian dollars to get out the door. Can I get cheaper, used, etc, of course, but I am a racer, and if I race, why would I handicap myself in any manner. Racing takes a ton of effort and if I am going to "just have fun and half ass it", why race? The very nature of racing is to give it 100%, that is the appeal of it. But if I only get 2 10 minute motos out of a very long day at a track 2-3 hours from home, that doesn't sound very good. Especially if the gate is really small. If there are less than 10 guys on the gate, does it even feel like racing? Not for me. It sounds like I could end up with a very expensive bike with hardly any hours on it. High expense, low reward.
The alternative it seems, a 250-300 2 stroke and give off-road a shot. From what I am hearing it is a ton of fun, not just on track, but off, as the people are more casual and not the big ego motocross crowd. It feels like an easy choice for an older guy who may still want to fuel the competitive juices on occasion, but mostly have fun and get a lot of riding time in.
hogkiller
3/22/2019 8:09am
I would race every weekend again if there was a Vet only series. 3 classes would be enough. +40, +50, +60. Show up at 10am for...
I would race every weekend again if there was a Vet only series. 3 classes would be enough. +40, +50, +60. Show up at 10am for practice and be back home by 4pm after racing 2 motos.

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
3/22/2019 8:44am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2019 8:45am
Sluggo77 wrote:
I am currently struggling with this issue right now. I am 52 and ready and able to return to the sport, but what discipline and do...
I am currently struggling with this issue right now. I am 52 and ready and able to return to the sport, but what discipline and do I want to race? Back in my day, I raced 3 pro classes, 125, 250 and 500. I was hardcore and got a bang for my effort and $ on the weekends. Than the gate size began to fade, often with only 6 guys on the gate and my interest fizzled. The old racer in me wants a brand new FE KTM 450 and go race again. That bike would cost me close to 14,000 of my Canadian dollars to get out the door. Can I get cheaper, used, etc, of course, but I am a racer, and if I race, why would I handicap myself in any manner. Racing takes a ton of effort and if I am going to "just have fun and half ass it", why race? The very nature of racing is to give it 100%, that is the appeal of it. But if I only get 2 10 minute motos out of a very long day at a track 2-3 hours from home, that doesn't sound very good. Especially if the gate is really small. If there are less than 10 guys on the gate, does it even feel like racing? Not for me. It sounds like I could end up with a very expensive bike with hardly any hours on it. High expense, low reward.
The alternative it seems, a 250-300 2 stroke and give off-road a shot. From what I am hearing it is a ton of fun, not just on track, but off, as the people are more casual and not the big ego motocross crowd. It feels like an easy choice for an older guy who may still want to fuel the competitive juices on occasion, but mostly have fun and get a lot of riding time in.
In a Way that just confirms its Death , we already know there is an issue with new people joining, and then to hear somebody that already loves motocross feels like there best bet is to just go race off road is like a nail in the coffin, im not saying your points are wrong tho, but there is just something about a track thats appealing to me more than going from point A to Point B , ive even wished the tracks were a little smaller at times , so that you could watch the whole race all the way around the track , i kinda feel like a mile is too long sometimes, and id be ok with a half mile , or even an outdoor track just a little bigger than a supercross track ,but also as far as off road i personally dont like riding through trees, just my opinion.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
3/22/2019 8:51am
I've spent over 1.6 million on hair plugs
Kenny Lingus
3/22/2019 8:51am
Local MX may be on the decline but I would say off road recreational riding is picking up. With KTM making white bikes, OEM's making special...
Local MX may be on the decline but I would say off road recreational riding is picking up. With KTM making white bikes, OEM's making special editions, more gear companies starting up, gear companies expanding their lines with helmets/ boots etc., play bike models being updated, new graphics companies and even new tire manufacturers, somebody is buying this stuff. So one would have to think some new blood is coming in. New businesses don't usually mean a dying market.
diz330 wrote:
Or you could look at it from the other side of the coin that they are trying everything they can to stay relevant and appealing because...
Or you could look at it from the other side of the coin that they are trying everything they can to stay relevant and appealing because their other products aren't bringing in the revenue they used to. Not saying that is the case but it could be.
Maybe. If it was only existing companies expanding their product line you could certainly think they are trying to get more of the market. I see so many new companies making a go at it I can't help but think the customer base is growing.
Kenny Lingus
3/22/2019 8:56am
I wonder if the modern day work schedule is hurting local MX. The days of 9-5 Mon through Fri are gone. More and more people are working weekends or just plain have to do normal day to day things on the weekend because that's the only time they have to do it.

Post a reply to: Our sport is guna die if we don’t start racing

The Latest