Our sport is guna die if we don’t start racing

rongi#401
3/20/2019 8:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2019 2:41am
Looking at old gold cup results, on average 50 entries in 250 novice in 2007, last weekend at swapmoto round one, 11. Looking at all the amateur nationals that have died, I just watched the evergoodco video of oak hill, wow there is like ten motor homes there. I’ve commited myself to racing at least ten times this year, we all should for our sport, GET OFF OUR BUTTS
|
gnarwhip
3/20/2019 8:55pm
The real estate market is near all time highs and no one can afford to live in SoCal, unless you bought 10+years ago. People can’t afford to rent here, and certainly can’t afford to race. Maybe Az or NM is a good place to live if you want to race, or the midwest. Sad but true.
mikec265
3/20/2019 9:14pm
I live in a cheap area and it's not what it used to be.
To be honest, I don't have time to sit all day waiting for motos. With 3 little kids, building my own track was the only way I could afford the time to ride enough. The 450 classes are dead around here, and there's a lot of old 2 strokes racing.
JBecker 72
3/20/2019 9:25pm
I bailed in 2012. Best financial decision of my life.

The Shop

Brent
3/20/2019 9:32pm
The biggest problem is the cost to get into motocross for a beginner.
What outsider is going to spend 10 grand on bike and gear to get started ?
As older legacy racers stop racing because they don’t want to jump huge triple jumps at 50, new blood isn’t coming into the sport.
Moto man
3/20/2019 9:43pm
Brent wrote:
The biggest problem is the cost to get into motocross for a beginner. What outsider is going to spend 10 grand on bike and gear to...
As older legacy racers stop racing because they don’t want to jump huge triple jumps at 50, new blood isn’t coming into the sport.
Dude, that is such bullshit and I am sick of ignorant people falling back onto that excuse. Any hobby is expensive and has no cap on the money you can spend. Camping, hunting, MT Biking, fucking gaming. Very easy to spend 10K on whatever you enjoy doing.

Entry to Moto could cost $500 and it really wouldn’t change anything. People will still spend most their time on X Box and Grinder.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
769th
3/20/2019 9:44pm
I’d love to race and am planning on making things work for Big 6 in September. But with 2 young kids, a wife and a new house I really can’t afford to go racing. Just don’t have that extra income to make it happen. I miss racing so much, but I just can’t do it financially. It’s not possible right now.
Harv379
Fantasy
2047th
3/20/2019 9:49pm
MX race formats need to be looked at, there's so much that could be improved. For one, it sucks spending a whole day to spin two 5-10 minute moto's that can be 6 hrs apart that cost you $45 and whatever other mandatory membership you need for the day that costs an additional $40-50, and you might get a 5 minute practice before the racing. Plus, most peoples attitudes at the track are based off their ego.

There's a reason off road racing numbers are growing, more riding, friendlier crowd, more fun. Just my .02
3/20/2019 9:57pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I’d love to race and am planning on making things work for Big 6 in September. But with 2 young kids, a wife and a new...
I’d love to race and am planning on making things work for Big 6 in September. But with 2 young kids, a wife and a new house I really can’t afford to go racing. Just don’t have that extra income to make it happen. I miss racing so much, but I just can’t do it financially. It’s not possible right now.
Dude run the 10 hour endurance race at Glen Helen with me in June. I’ll pay our gate fee.
could use a teammate such as yourself

Edit: Wait never mind. It’s on Father’s Day and seeing you’re a dad, probably wouldn’t be the best to have you prioritize a race over your kids.
RexEasely
3/20/2019 10:01pm
we need a mix of riding disciplines to ignite interest. Think On Any Sunday. For instance, a series comprising a mx event, desert event, flat track, time trial and TT. You ride one bike, mx, dual sport, grom, vintage etc and set it up as needed and just ride. Also, you must show up on a team or apply for a team because you will compete as a team.
RexEasely
3/20/2019 10:15pm
Brent wrote:
The biggest problem is the cost to get into motocross for a beginner. What outsider is going to spend 10 grand on bike and gear to...
I think the biggest problem is acceptance not cost. A beginner showing up on an XR 200 with work boots and street bike helmet will be heckled by the cool guys. That's why it's important to establish riding clubs to attract new riders. Right now it's individuals not a community.
Dust601
3/20/2019 10:21pm
I have to agree with Brent. The costs for a newbie to get into our sport scares a lot of people away. I can’t even count how many people I’ve introduced to riding on my bikes. Most loved it, and were pumped to get started, but when they started adding up all the costs involved to get started they got scared.

I have plenty of friends who could afford a $500 hobby. A 3000$ + hobby? Not so much.

I’ve also noticed that sometimes our community are flat out jerks to newbies. At tracks, trails, get togethers, and even the internet gathering spots like here.

For me personally I just had my first kid 6 months ago, and my free time has drastically lowered.
3/20/2019 10:24pm
Moto man wrote:
Dude, that is such bullshit and I am sick of ignorant people falling back onto that excuse. Any hobby is expensive and has no cap on...
Dude, that is such bullshit and I am sick of ignorant people falling back onto that excuse. Any hobby is expensive and has no cap on the money you can spend. Camping, hunting, MT Biking, fucking gaming. Very easy to spend 10K on whatever you enjoy doing.

Entry to Moto could cost $500 and it really wouldn’t change anything. People will still spend most their time on X Box and Grinder.
I totally disagree that cost is not a factor. For comparison, it costs $80 to get your kid into an entire season of Soccer..... A lot of folks are stretched thin despite low unemployment, and spending huge $s on bikes, maintenance, track fees, gear, race fees, etc. is not easy for a lot of people out there. Most of the folks I meet at the track are hard working blue collar types who don't have tons of extra change just laying around. They have made the decision to spend the $s, but a lot of others either can't or are not willing to make that sacrifice. Motocross has got be by far one of the most expensive sports out there, at least compared to any stick or ball sport, even golf. Seems like 90% of people have payments on their bikes, are doing the "go fund me" thing if they are trying to get their kid to Lorettas, etc. Its pretty crazy. I don't have a solution to make it materially cheaper, I just know cost is a big factor.

I do agree though that a lot of kids and adults are more interested in video games or spending time on their stupid phones than getting out and moving, which is a problem for participation in all sports.
JBecker 72
3/20/2019 10:28pm
Cost is definitely a factor. But so is society becoming more risk averse. You see this in many sports and activities that have high injury rates.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
769th
3/20/2019 10:29pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I’d love to race and am planning on making things work for Big 6 in September. But with 2 young kids, a wife and a new...
Dude run the 10 hour endurance race at Glen Helen with me in June. I’ll pay our gate fee. could use a teammate such as yourself...
Dude run the 10 hour endurance race at Glen Helen with me in June. I’ll pay our gate fee.

Edit: Wait never mind. It’s on Father’s Day and seeing you’re a dad, probably wouldn’t be the best to have you prioritize a race over your kids.
I could probably pull the “it’s Father’s Day and that’s what I want to do” card, but I’m so out of shape and I know it would be hard to keep the kids at the track that long. I’ll keep that offer in mind though!! It would be a blast
chuckie108
3/20/2019 10:31pm
I think it has to partially do with the events. Now a days, every MX race has 40 classes and 20 motos. So you wait around all day for a total of 15 laps. I raced the world vets this year- never again. First moto was 6 laps at 1:30, second moto was 5 laps at 4:45 with the sun right in my face. And the track was the worst I've ever seen it. Quickly reminded myself why I generally skip these events. The good events have good turn out. REM is always well attended, even if the crowd can be clicky, as you get good track time and are out of there by 2ish. And Big6 seems like is doing well as you get your monies worth.

The other factor is the world has simply changed. There are so many things to absorb peoples attention these days. They don't even have to leave the house to get entertained. Plus I think people in general have lost their sense of adventure. Give them a latte, FB, and Netflix and they're perfectly content(notice I didn't say happy).
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
769th
3/20/2019 10:32pm
Brent wrote:
RexEasely wrote:
I think the biggest problem is acceptance not cost. A beginner showing up on an XR 200 with work boots and street bike helmet will be...
I think the biggest problem is acceptance not cost. A beginner showing up on an XR 200 with work boots and street bike helmet will be heckled by the cool guys. That's why it's important to establish riding clubs to attract new riders. Right now it's individuals not a community.
I agree with this. See it way too often
RexEasely
3/20/2019 10:35pm
Obstacle courses on low powered trail bikes I think would fix the problem. My dad would race MX, flat track and desert on a 90cc Hodaka. Focus on riding technique not airtime and speed.
JBecker 72
3/20/2019 10:36pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Dude run the 10 hour endurance race at Glen Helen with me in June. I’ll pay our gate fee. could use a teammate such as yourself...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I could probably pull the “it’s Father’s Day and that’s what I want to do” card, but I’m so out of shape and I know it...
I could probably pull the “it’s Father’s Day and that’s what I want to do” card, but I’m so out of shape and I know it would be hard to keep the kids at the track that long. I’ll keep that offer in mind though!! It would be a blast
I miss Father’s Day weekend with my dad at Budds Creek. Those were some of the best times we had together. Granted we were spectating the pro race.

Just saying.
RexEasely
3/20/2019 10:41pm
chuckie108 wrote:
I think it has to partially do with the events. Now a days, every MX race has 40 classes and 20 motos. So you wait around...
I think it has to partially do with the events. Now a days, every MX race has 40 classes and 20 motos. So you wait around all day for a total of 15 laps. I raced the world vets this year- never again. First moto was 6 laps at 1:30, second moto was 5 laps at 4:45 with the sun right in my face. And the track was the worst I've ever seen it. Quickly reminded myself why I generally skip these events. The good events have good turn out. REM is always well attended, even if the crowd can be clicky, as you get good track time and are out of there by 2ish. And Big6 seems like is doing well as you get your monies worth.

The other factor is the world has simply changed. There are so many things to absorb peoples attention these days. They don't even have to leave the house to get entertained. Plus I think people in general have lost their sense of adventure. Give them a latte, FB, and Netflix and they're perfectly content(notice I didn't say happy).
You could have a challenge event at Glen Helen. You do a moto event, then a flat track event, a drag race event and single track time trial through the hills all in the same day. You could keep guys riding all day long by switching from one track to another throughout the day.
JBecker 72
3/20/2019 10:48pm
chuckie108 wrote:
I think it has to partially do with the events. Now a days, every MX race has 40 classes and 20 motos. So you wait around...

RexEasely wrote:
You could have a challenge event at Glen Helen. You do a moto event, then a flat track event, a drag race event and single track...
You could have a challenge event at Glen Helen. You do a moto event, then a flat track event, a drag race event and single track time trial through the hills all in the same day. You could keep guys riding all day long by switching from one track to another throughout the day.
That would be ridiculously fun. But then we come back to the cost factor. I can supply a single moto bike for myself. But I don’t have the resources to put together that kind of race day. Even with all my friends and the bikes they have.
ledger
3/20/2019 10:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2019 10:54pm
My brain and soul says...Go ! the aging body says...No. Sad but true story. Hopefully there's Moto in Heaven and we can all line up for the gate drop. Our Entry Fees have been paid for...
JBecker 72
3/20/2019 10:54pm
ledger wrote:
My brain and soul says...Go ! the aging body says...No. Sad but true story. Hopefully there's Moto in Heaven and we can all line up for...
My brain and soul says...Go ! the aging body says...No. Sad but true story. Hopefully there's Moto in Heaven and we can all line up for the gate drop. Our Entry Fees have been paid for...
Can you imagine the first turn pile up? Grinning
Sierra Ranger
3/20/2019 11:30pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
I don't know what part of California you lived in, but I lived in Manassas, and I ain't ever going back. Northern Virginia is crazy expensive and crowded so CA must have really sucked for you.
tcallahan707
3/20/2019 11:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2019 11:45pm
It always comes back to VALUE. I love racing but spending a shitload of money to sit around all day just to ride 15 laps all by yourself (lots of classes = smaller gates = less dicing) is stupid. Most I know realize that $20 and 4 hours of open practice with your buddies brings way more value than going racing.

When there are 25+ classes, the gates get thin, the racing feel goes away, and as such, the value to the rider diminishes.

In 2017, Colorado decided to hold a 6 race crossover series between the 2 main organizations. The first round had 37 pros on the line (and more than a few came out of "racing" retirement). There was no lack of racing to be had which made the cost and time spent well worth it. 2 years later, they finally have one big state series again. People want to race. It's simply not worth it when 7 dudes are on the line and you ride around by yourself and don't even get a trophy or cash for a 3rd place. A 10th with 37 guys is way more rewarding and still pays out. People are going to hit the practice days or trails until promoters cut classes and fill the gates.
yz133rider
3/20/2019 11:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2019 11:56pm
Start making outdoor motocross tracks outdoor motocross again and not outdoor supercross where the risk and skill level is out of reach for 95% of the riding community. Tracks are built for the top 5% a riders and are too intimidating/not fun for a good majority of riders. They end up not staying with it, going to off-road, or just fucking off in the woods or fields as opposed to going to tracks.
JBecker 72
3/20/2019 11:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2019 11:51pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
I don't know what part of California you lived in, but I lived in Manassas, and I ain't ever going back. Northern Virginia is crazy expensive...
I don't know what part of California you lived in, but I lived in Manassas, and I ain't ever going back. Northern Virginia is crazy expensive and crowded so CA must have really sucked for you.
I lived in the north Bay Area. Mom lived in Marin and I was in Santa Rosa. She’s in San Leandro now. So yeah, I lived in a really crowded and expensive part of CA. Though SR wasn’t too bad cost of living wise. Commute sucked worse than NoVA by far.

What really drove me out of CA was the tax rate, the real estate price, and the fact that basically everything I liked to do was heavily restricted. Riding dirt bikes, shooting guns, and enjoying the outdoors without getting hassled by BLM officers. I should also mention that my house burned to the ground a couple years after I left the state due to the Tubbs fire. So I dodged a major bullet there.

I’m currently moving out of the manassas area and going a little more south west but still working in the area. Real estate is cheaper, tax rates are cheaper, the moto scene is pretty good for what I like to do, I have multiple firearms that would land me a felony charge in CA but are completely legal here, and I met an awesome woman I plan to marry.

So yeah, no regrets whatsoever on leaving the state of California. Your mileage may vary.
JBecker 72
3/20/2019 11:55pm
yz133rider wrote:
Start making outdoor motocross tracks outdoor motocross again and not outdoor supercross where the risk and skill level is out of reach for 95% of the...
Start making outdoor motocross tracks outdoor motocross again and not outdoor supercross where the risk and skill level is out of reach for 95% of the riding community. Tracks are built for the top 5% a riders and are too intimidating/not fun for a good majority of riders. They end up not staying with it, going to off-road, or just fucking off in the woods or fields as opposed to going to tracks.
That’s why I love Tomahawk in WV.
yz133rider
3/20/2019 11:58pm
yz133rider wrote:
Start making outdoor motocross tracks outdoor motocross again and not outdoor supercross where the risk and skill level is out of reach for 95% of the...
JBecker 72 wrote:
That’s why I love Tomahawk in WV.
Bingo. 3.5 hr drive for me and i go there more often then the tracks that are 1 hr away from me.
rongi#401
3/21/2019 12:18am
I agree with cutting classes, there was one other guy in +25 int, racing really gets fun when there is more than 20 guys in a class

Post a reply to: Our sport is guna die if we don’t start racing

The Latest