Our rinky dink sport............

BAD10
Edited Date/Time 5/30/2020 11:29am
So the American public is desperately hungry for live sporting events right now, and the newspapers have had nothing much to put in the sports section except rehashing old content, and here we are with SX starting this weekend yet there's not a word to be found in any newspaper or mainstream online sporting site that I have seen. Just boggles my mind!
|
5/29/2020 2:00pm
You'd think with social disease media, the word would spread like crazy.

I guess people are still too busy doing this....

BikeGuy321
5/29/2020 2:09pm
People complain about ads on Pandora, and that's like 100x less than regular radio. I'm sure the whole " Yeah I'd like to thank my 150 sponsors," speech every 10 minutes turns a lot of people off.

Probably doesn't help that Feld Ent. Is making a huge portion of the money, compared to the actual bike manufacturers.
agn5009
5/29/2020 2:33pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
People complain about ads on Pandora, and that's like 100x less than regular radio. I'm sure the whole " Yeah I'd like to thank my 150...
People complain about ads on Pandora, and that's like 100x less than regular radio. I'm sure the whole " Yeah I'd like to thank my 150 sponsors," speech every 10 minutes turns a lot of people off.

Probably doesn't help that Feld Ent. Is making a huge portion of the money, compared to the actual bike manufacturers.
I highly doubt the interviews turn ppl off
ATKpilot99
5/29/2020 2:37pm
The sad truth is it's not considered a real sport by most mainstream sports fans . They lump it in with freestyle etc. That said it will be interesting to see if ESPN picks up the results seeing as nothing else aside from Nascar is going on. I doubt they will.

The Shop

Sierra Ranger
5/29/2020 2:46pm
I don't think branding the sport's actual name with a corporation helps. Notice this quote comes from a "company" not a sports association or something. Imagine if football was officially called "Oscar-Myer football." It probably broadens the perception that Supercross is more of an exhibition like Monster trucks, than a competitive athletic event.
(and get off my lawn...)

“The sports industry in the United States, like virtually all industries, is being severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Monster Energy Supercross fuels an entire industry and is the primary source of income for thousands, including competitors. With no events, the industry is in severe economic peril. It’s important to the economic infrastructure to get back to work,” the company said.

Read more here: https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavirus/article242836896.html#storyl…
JM485
5/29/2020 2:47pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
The sad truth is it's not considered a real sport by most mainstream sports fans . They lump it in with freestyle etc. That said it...
The sad truth is it's not considered a real sport by most mainstream sports fans . They lump it in with freestyle etc. That said it will be interesting to see if ESPN picks up the results seeing as nothing else aside from Nascar is going on. I doubt they will.
Are we really still going to pretend that freestyle guys are not freakishly talented and athletic? Come on people, you don’t just hop on a bike and throw the tricks they’re doing consistently and hope for the best, it’s not 1993 anymore. Pinch
sende
Fantasy
4429th
5/29/2020 2:47pm
I thought you said "drinky". I was way ahead of you.
ATKpilot99
5/29/2020 3:01pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
The sad truth is it's not considered a real sport by most mainstream sports fans . They lump it in with freestyle etc. That said it...
JM485 wrote:
Are we really still going to pretend that freestyle guys are not freakishly talented and athletic? Come on people, you don’t just hop on a bike...
Are we really still going to pretend that freestyle guys are not freakishly talented and athletic? Come on people, you don’t just hop on a bike and throw the tricks they’re doing consistently and hope for the best, it’s not 1993 anymore. Pinch
Of course they are . But mainstream sports fans still view it as a side show just as many view mx/sx
5/29/2020 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2020 3:11pm
Here's a good ad campaign...... "Tune in for free hot and dirty SX tonight". Black screen...nothing but the text.

You'd draw a lot of folks in.....
5/29/2020 3:18pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
People complain about ads on Pandora, and that's like 100x less than regular radio. I'm sure the whole " Yeah I'd like to thank my 150...

agn5009 wrote:
I highly doubt the interviews turn ppl off
Austen forkners does
BAD10
5/29/2020 3:25pm
I don't think branding the sport's actual name with a corporation helps. Notice this quote comes from a "company" not a sports association or something. Imagine...
I don't think branding the sport's actual name with a corporation helps. Notice this quote comes from a "company" not a sports association or something. Imagine if football was officially called "Oscar-Myer football." It probably broadens the perception that Supercross is more of an exhibition like Monster trucks, than a competitive athletic event.
(and get off my lawn...)

“The sports industry in the United States, like virtually all industries, is being severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Monster Energy Supercross fuels an entire industry and is the primary source of income for thousands, including competitors. With no events, the industry is in severe economic peril. It’s important to the economic infrastructure to get back to work,” the company said.

Read more here: https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavirus/article242836896.html#storyl…
I agree 100% with your branding comment. I cringe every time I hear it referred to as Monster Energy SX during the broadcast, which is about 100 times every airing.Blink Just makes our sport come across as a circus act and all about the sponsors money.
TomC31
5/29/2020 3:38pm
Has anyone tried collectively contacting the mainstream media and letting them know about our sport and what it requires skill and fitness wise to do a possible story on it? We do have the power to try do something ourselves. It only takes one new staff member at said media outlet to give it a shot and we main gain traction, it’s not only up to the big corporation or factory team to grow the sport, if we want it to be bigger we can all try, and all make a difference. It is easier than ever to find different email addresses for a company, different cell or phone numbers, you never know what might happen if we all try?
5/29/2020 3:49pm
Most people I know think moto is a joke because it's just dumb rednecks or Monster Energy Kyle types
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
5/29/2020 5:25pm
999 wrote:
Most people I know think moto is a joke because it's just dumb rednecks or Monster Energy Kyle types
The sad part is, they’re not completely wrong. SX more so than MX. I find the worst part of live SX is the crowd, by far.
BMSOBx2
5/29/2020 7:13pm
999 wrote:
ACBraap wrote:
The sad part is, they’re not completely wrong. SX more so than MX. I find the worst part of live SX is the crowd, by far.
Well when you brand yourself like monster trucks what do you expect?
5/29/2020 7:38pm
Sport is bigger than you think. Even in south side Chicago, kids drummer on a plastic pale- I give them 2 bucks. Know who MC and Pastrana is. They have trail bikes, ripping up alleys and vacant lots.
Lloydcarter
5/29/2020 9:39pm
999 wrote:
Bingo lol
Sierra Ranger
5/29/2020 9:41pm
TomC31 wrote:
Has anyone tried collectively contacting the mainstream media and letting them know about our sport and what it requires skill and fitness wise to do a...
Has anyone tried collectively contacting the mainstream media and letting them know about our sport and what it requires skill and fitness wise to do a possible story on it? We do have the power to try do something ourselves. It only takes one new staff member at said media outlet to give it a shot and we main gain traction, it’s not only up to the big corporation or factory team to grow the sport, if we want it to be bigger we can all try, and all make a difference. It is easier than ever to find different email addresses for a company, different cell or phone numbers, you never know what might happen if we all try?
Jeez, I hope so. I assume they do this stuff, but it's about blanketing local media with press releases, follow-up phone calls and other promotion. Individual people could even contact local newsrooms and ask for coverage- every little bit helps.
I feel like things could have been so different. Hell, ABC Wide World of Sports used to cover Carlsbad with people like Jackie Stewart as announcers back in the 80s. I notice the popularity of the sport in mainstream circles seems to coincide with excitement over certain figures, like RJ, Bubba, McGrath, etc. The general public needs a story to latch on to. We don't really have that mainstream superstar guy right now (not taking away from the current greats of the sport).
Motofinne
5/29/2020 9:43pm
Not surprising. I'm with Matthes in this matter, "we are what we are". Even during a global pandemic.
Kyle978
5/29/2020 9:47pm
999 wrote:
Bro
5/30/2020 12:28am
999 wrote:
Kyle978 wrote:
Bro
Just leave the drywall alone buddy.
bradnelson
5/30/2020 9:20am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Speaking of Nascar, the supercross race is almost the exact same time as Nascar's Bristol race. That won't help.

Oh well, I know which one I'll be watching. Woohoo
Stewwable
5/30/2020 9:47am
You do realize for the casual viewer the sport is not entertaining...right?
5/30/2020 9:57am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2020 11:29am
It’s unrealistic in my opinion to expect that people who know nothing about SX will all of a sudden become fans just because it’s one of the only things on. I mean how many of you watched the UFC events a couple weeks back purely because it was the only thing on? I’m guessing not many.
aeffertz
5/30/2020 10:51am
It’s unrealistic in my opinion to expect that people who know nothing about SX will all of a sudden become fans just because it’s one of...
It’s unrealistic in my opinion to expect that people who know nothing about SX will all of a sudden become fans just because it’s one of the only things on. I mean how many of you watched the UFC events a couple weeks back purely because it was the only thing on? I’m guessing not many.
Yeah, it’s sad but true. It’s just not as interesting to outsiders or have that mainstream appeal and I doubt it ever will. I often think about it, there are many niche sports, some even televised. Sure if I catch it on, maybe I’ll watch it for a bit and maybe even find it entertaining but once it’s done, I don’t go out of my way to watch more of it because I’m not passionate about it or care.

Our sport is very passion driven, I think. People who watch it ride or have ridden, or at least have someone in their lives that does it. Maybe they get people that just watch it casually because it’s on the TV but I don’t think they make up the majority of viewers. When I had room mates, I could get them to play fantasy and they would watch the races and have fun. But once we all went our separate ways over time, none of them watch it anymore and they even liked watching it. You either get it or you don’t and I think you have to have some sort of way to relate to it (ie being a rider) for it to really keep you following it.
5/30/2020 11:31am
the speed and difficulty don't really translate through TV, which I think has a lot to do with it. Hard to respect these guys if you've never ridden. I got into a legitimate fight with a college roommate because he said he could jump everything on a super cross track having never ridden a bike. The "how hard can it be? just twist the throttle" crowd is a big issue.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
5/30/2020 4:42pm
the speed and difficulty don't really translate through TV, which I think has a lot to do with it. Hard to respect these guys if you've...
the speed and difficulty don't really translate through TV, which I think has a lot to do with it. Hard to respect these guys if you've never ridden. I got into a legitimate fight with a college roommate because he said he could jump everything on a super cross track having never ridden a bike. The "how hard can it be? just twist the throttle" crowd is a big issue.
So, who won the fight?

Post a reply to: Our rinky dink sport............

The Latest