Ouch. FIM/Youthstream release

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 10/18/2018 3:48am
JOINT STATEMENT FROM YOUTHSTREAM & FIM-EUROPE

MONACO (Principality of Monaco) 16 October 2018 - Youthstream and FIM-Europe explain the changes to the Regulations for the 2019 FIM-E Motocross European Championships.

Youthstream and FIM-E work for the overall interest of the sport, therefore some slight adjustments will be made to the some of the 2019 European Championship Regulations as explained below:

'The European Championships were mainly created to help youth grow and help them prepare for MX2 and then MXGP and be competitive in these classes. This pyramid system is working well because together with this fact and by having the youth race on the same tracks and same weekends as MXGP and on tracks which are very technically demanding it has permitted all these riders to grow and implement their skills. Our pyramid system shows its success because it is without any doubt that today the MXGP and MX2 riders are the fastest in the world, and they all have come from the European Championships. We are seeing more and more riders competing in the European Championships who come from other continents to prepare themselves to become professional. We want this to continue and we strive to improve this. With the development of MX2 and MXGP and also of the European Championships, over the last few years we have seen some riders aged more than 23 remain or return to the EMX250 and this creates a problem for the young riders in this class to find a good team and to shine in this Championship. Therefore, for all these reasons, and in agreement with FIM-E a decision has been taken to create an age limit of 23 in EMX250 as of 2019. The goal of this Championship is to prepare young for the World Championship classes.'

On top of that, and for the same reason, the 2-stroke Championship is to be re-boosted and in 2019 it will have a new name (EMX 2t), with a new capacity of bike (250cc instead of 300cc) and without age limit in the way to welcome all the riders who are above the age limit for EMX250 and who are not at a level to compete in MXGP. This new class will be strongly promoted in order to give the riders and teams who will take part in it a great visibility.

In order to avoid confusion, from 2019 there will be an increase of the maximum age of the 250cc class in the Motocross of European Nations from 21 years old to 23 years old in order to make it the same maximum age as EMX250.

In the EMX85 class there will also be a slight modification to the age limit in the aim to keep things in line; from 2019 the maximum age will be reduced in the EMX85 championship to 14 years old, making it the same as the maximum age of the 85cc riders in the FIM Junior World Championship.

The Chairman of FIM-Europe MX Commission, Eddie Herd, said: “I firmly believe that this is the right way to go forward and improve the European Championships. FIM-Europe must continue to focus on the development of the youth and young riders, as it has in previous years, which will help secure the future of MX2 and MXGP.”
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/16/2018 3:54pm
Ya... that didn't just piss a bunch of people off or anything...
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
10/16/2018 3:55pm
Damnit. This pimps a friend of mine
10/16/2018 4:00pm
So those fucktards created a European championship for the youth but never put an age limit on it.
i rest my case your honour
MXMattii
10/16/2018 4:03pm
Teams already signed riders +23 years old to ride EMX250, then they come with shit like this. Those people are incompatible to lead such a big organization.

The Shop

Adam43
10/16/2018 4:03pm
Could make for a more interesting 2-stroke championship.

I know it's fashionable to hate on Youthstream this side of the Atlantic, but their ideas on class structures have proven to be fairly sound.
MXMattii
10/16/2018 4:10pm
Adam43 wrote:
Could make for a more interesting 2-stroke championship. I know it's fashionable to hate on Youthstream this side of the Atlantic, but their ideas on class...

I know it's fashionable to hate on Youthstream this side of the Atlantic, but their ideas on class structures have proven to be fairly sound.
The EMX-series is very solid. There is no hate on that. But you can't change the rules for a upcoming championship while most of the teams already signed riders. That is delusional.

But the EMX series is something more American riders should consider. I think now about Max Vohland, Josh Varize, ... If you aren't scared about being abroad and missing your family to hard (if they aren't going with you). They could race very different tracks, train on very different kind of tracks from base-camp Lommel and they could race European Supercross (Arenacross style) in some local pretty high quality championships.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/16/2018 4:14pm
Adam43 wrote:
Could make for a more interesting 2-stroke championship. I know it's fashionable to hate on Youthstream this side of the Atlantic, but their ideas on class...

MXMattii wrote:
The EMX-series is very solid. There is no hate on that. But you can't change the rules for a upcoming championship while most of the teams...
The EMX-series is very solid. There is no hate on that. But you can't change the rules for a upcoming championship while most of the teams already signed riders. That is delusional.

But the EMX series is something more American riders should consider. I think now about Max Vohland, Josh Varize, ... If you aren't scared about being abroad and missing your family to hard (if they aren't going with you). They could race very different tracks, train on very different kind of tracks from base-camp Lommel and they could race European Supercross (Arenacross style) in some local pretty high quality championships.
I actually have a questions for someone like you from Europe.

Do you think it's easier for Americans to go over to Europe to race, or do you think it's easier for the Euros to come to America to race? I obviously have my opinion on the matter based off of what I've seen, but I'm curious to what you and others across the pond think.

*No.. This is not about speed or anything like that.*
tempura
10/16/2018 4:22pm
Timing is awful... this announcement should be for the 2020 season or later.
That said, I believe they are on the right track, with focusing on bringing on youth. It’s stability for them and motocross in general.
PastranaWho
10/16/2018 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 4:35pm
Why not make emx 23U and mx2 25U, so you can actually give the rider a chance to ride mx2 and improve or maybe get a ride with a team. But to age out at 23 emx and mx2 is plain stupid to me. So basically if a 22 yr old wins emx title you will need to jump to the mxgp class, is that luongo dude that stupid? all i see is more young talent coming to americaWink
wpark89
10/16/2018 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 4:56pm
I’m a bit confused. I thought the focus of the European Championship was always for young riders? Back in 2001 I was arranging to do some of the European Championship and I believe the age limit was 21 or 23?

I don’t agree with the age restrictions for MX2. But I think it makes sense for EMX.

Exactly how many older riders did teams hire for EMX that are not eligible now? It seems that by age 22/23 the riders should have made it through the EMX series and on to something else....or a regular job?

I agree it the shits to change rules. But I did not know older riders are focusing on EMX.
cdm806
Fantasy
1404th
10/16/2018 5:16pm
They're trying to force talent up into the MX2 and MXGP class so they don't send of gates with 25 riders who couldn't qualify for the C class at Loretta's. I doubt it will work
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
10/16/2018 5:30pm
This is a Brilliant move by Youthstream it devalues the rider market, making it easier for teams to not pay riders a decent salary.

There are so many riders over 23 years old that need MXGP 450 rides that there is now a surplus of qualified riders that will now have to settle for the in demand rides.

There’s about 5 guys that will get paid (Herlings/Cairoli/Gajser/Febvre/Desaulle) the rest will have to settle for scraps, free rides and or paying to be on a team. The teams will see lower budgets because the second rider is forced to agree to a low paying spot or be out of work. They got them by the balls.

The AMA rider market has its own issues, but at least the promoters are not actively seeking ways to reduce places for riders to make money.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/16/2018 6:47pm
This is a Brilliant move by Youthstream it devalues the rider market, making it easier for teams to not pay riders a decent salary. There are...
This is a Brilliant move by Youthstream it devalues the rider market, making it easier for teams to not pay riders a decent salary.

There are so many riders over 23 years old that need MXGP 450 rides that there is now a surplus of qualified riders that will now have to settle for the in demand rides.

There’s about 5 guys that will get paid (Herlings/Cairoli/Gajser/Febvre/Desaulle) the rest will have to settle for scraps, free rides and or paying to be on a team. The teams will see lower budgets because the second rider is forced to agree to a low paying spot or be out of work. They got them by the balls.

The AMA rider market has its own issues, but at least the promoters are not actively seeking ways to reduce places for riders to make money.
Gotta agree with this and add that decreasing the number of professional MX riders might not be the best way to promote fully committed youth involvement.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
10/16/2018 6:51pm
So... What is the point of MX2 if both classes have the same age limit? Make EMX 21, MX2 23, and MX1 no limit or something
mx_563
10/16/2018 8:07pm
What's the thinking behind dropping the displacement in the 2t class from 300 to 250?

early
Fantasy
2212th
10/16/2018 8:24pm
mx_563 wrote:
What's the thinking behind dropping the displacement in the 2t class from 300 to 250?

I guess since not everyone makes a 300, a 250 rule allows everyone to be competitive with an "off the showroom floor" bike regardless of brand.
thorns
10/16/2018 8:41pm
I laughed when in the release they call it a pyramid system, kinda fitting.
500guy
10/16/2018 8:43pm
Around Here Pyramid schemes are not legal

This pyramid system is working well

. Our pyramid system shows its success because it is without any doubt that today the MXGP and MX2 riders are the fastest in the world,
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
10/16/2018 9:00pm
500guy wrote:
Around Here Pyramid schemes are not legal [b]This pyramid system is working well [/b] [b]. Our pyramid system shows its success because it is without any...
Around Here Pyramid schemes are not legal

This pyramid system is working well

. Our pyramid system shows its success because it is without any doubt that today the MXGP and MX2 riders are the fastest in the world,
roninho
10/16/2018 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 11:17pm
Adam43 wrote:

Well first of all i think the timing of this decision is just a big middle finger to a bunch of riders and teams, which shows exactly how much youthstream and FIM europe cares about the interests of these parties.

Next to that adding an age limit to EMX250 is a good move, and trying to find a way to get entries in the 2-stroke championship, which is a good move as well (EMX300 had awfull entry numbers in a bunch of events).

But imo they dropped the ball on improving the structure so that the entry numbers in MX2 will increase. There are a bunch of riders fast enough to score points in mx2 who dont enter due to the entry fee and/or the age limit. You have a guy like Marshal Weltin who when he got on a decent bike had 5 top 10 finishes in a row, and ended the season with a 5th in MX2. And he can't race a 250 in 2018. Same for Simone Furlotti (two 10ths in the last 3 gp's), Mel Pocock (2nd in EMX250), Martin Barr (5th in EMX250) and Steven Clarke (6th in EMX250). I don't see how MX2 is a better class with 30 riders on the gate compared to having those guys in and having 35 riders on the gate.
Lynch
10/16/2018 11:22pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Damnit. This pimps a friend of mine
Same thing for a couple of my buddies. Angry
10/17/2018 12:09am
wpark89 wrote:
I’m a bit confused. I thought the focus of the European Championship was always for young riders? Back in 2001 I was arranging to do some...
I’m a bit confused. I thought the focus of the European Championship was always for young riders? Back in 2001 I was arranging to do some of the European Championship and I believe the age limit was 21 or 23?

I don’t agree with the age restrictions for MX2. But I think it makes sense for EMX.

Exactly how many older riders did teams hire for EMX that are not eligible now? It seems that by age 22/23 the riders should have made it through the EMX series and on to something else....or a regular job?

I agree it the shits to change rules. But I did not know older riders are focusing on EMX.
Well F&H Kawasaki send a pressrelease after Assen that they contracted Mars\hal Weltin for EMX250. And Simone Furlotti also signed a contact for EMX250 and they are both not allowed to race now because of this age limit.

Otherwise riders like Pocock and Carke were planning another year in EMX250 for 2019 but have to skip these plans too.

roninho
10/17/2018 1:10am
Which is fine that they are not allowed to ride in EMX250, but then at least make it possible for them to race a bunch of MX2 gps. It's not like they do not have the pace for GP's, and its also not the case that all gp's have 40 qualified entries....
mmcmx
10/17/2018 1:45am
If they promote well the 2 stroke series and riders older than 23 not fast enough to have a 450 ride can make a living there it will be a good thing. Thats a BIG IF though.
Bearuno
10/17/2018 1:47am
roninho wrote:
Which is fine that they are not allowed to ride in EMX250, but then at least make it possible for them to race a bunch of...
Which is fine that they are not allowed to ride in EMX250, but then at least make it possible for them to race a bunch of MX2 gps. It's not like they do not have the pace for GP's, and its also not the case that all gp's have 40 qualified entries....
As they have instantly put in a rule that now stops Riders and Teams that have, in good faith set themselves for next season, they should instantly lower the entry fees for the MX2 class. Well, MXGP too - Luongo's using entry fees as part of his 'business model' is extortion, in my view. Shit, it's not even used as a 'prize payout' gatherer.

And now, there should be No age limit in MX2, not some piss poor add on of 2 years to 25, as is rumoured.

It, the MX2 class, is a World Championship, on bikes that are far, far from being 'tiddlers'.

As little as some here may regard an EMX Championship, it's still a championship that can mean recognition, and potential sponsorship for Teams and Riders. That, has now gone for a few of them.

This sort of uncaring, heavy handed, seemingly un-consulted rule change is dreadful. Well, it's bloody Criminal.

It shows how little both Luongo / Youthstream, and the FIM / FIME care about the sports participants.

What a bunch of Bastards.
Belg
10/17/2018 2:54am
why dont they stop this stupid age rule in MX2 ..what's the point when the speed difference is minimal like in MXDN .
not allowed to ride mx2 after 2 time World Champion should be a better rule ..after 2 WC's the challenge should be gone for the rider also , and they will stop calling it the "feeder" class . on the other hand age rule in EMX i have no problem with that ..
KDXGarage
10/17/2018 2:59am
Is it safe to say that all the signed EMX250 racers who are now too old are also too slow to get an MXGP2 ride? Basically, they are too old for EMX250 and too slow for MXGP2, correct? EMX2t or stay home, correct?

Is EMX2t JUST two-strokes or is it 2 and 4?

How many 2018 MXGP (450 only) racers never had a factory ride at any level?

I saw one moto with about 15 or 16 on the gate twice, so how few is too few??
keinz
10/17/2018 3:12am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 3:29am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I actually have a questions for someone like you from Europe. Do you think it's easier for Americans to go over to Europe to race, or...
I actually have a questions for someone like you from Europe.

Do you think it's easier for Americans to go over to Europe to race, or do you think it's easier for the Euros to come to America to race? I obviously have my opinion on the matter based off of what I've seen, but I'm curious to what you and others across the pond think.

*No.. This is not about speed or anything like that.*
It's million dollar question. I think in what team American will be, because . it makes big different. If its like Italian based team, it's harder for American to come over.( btw for Euros from an another country it's not easy too) it's kind of different culture shock, and language problem. Differences in the race program. But in the opposit way if Euro agrosses the bond it's almost the same problems.For example the heat and humididty what is wery hard to deal with.It's the biggest problem- For examle lok at the KRocks first years. In the beginning of the oto hie was fast as hell, and then the heat and humidity catch him So, who knows. There are so many differentsess between those two series, that I think it's all depends from the person. How quick you can adapt the differences mentioned above.
a22
10/17/2018 3:25am
Putting an age limit on EMX250 maybe is okay but to have the same age limit in MX2 ? So when some of them age out of EMX250, then to step upto MX2 they won't be able to because they are too old also for that class! That doesn't make sense! Where do they go then?

I could accept the EMX250 age limit restrictions if they lifted the MX2 limits or changed them!

Its stupid, it would make MX2 more exciting if riders could change class if they desired from 450 to 250 etc and also make the MX2 more prestigious if say a top rider chose to step down for whatever reasons! Dunno why they don't remove MX2 restrictions and let the older riders ride!

Many good riders in MXGP may also be without a ride in MXGP with limited spaces all taken. Yet if they could step back down a class they may then have a ride, team and job!
Don't get it- not good for the series as a whole.
roninho
10/17/2018 3:46am
KDXGarage wrote:
Is it safe to say that all the signed EMX250 racers who are now too old are also too slow to get an MXGP2 ride? Basically...
Is it safe to say that all the signed EMX250 racers who are now too old are also too slow to get an MXGP2 ride? Basically, they are too old for EMX250 and too slow for MXGP2, correct? EMX2t or stay home, correct?

Is EMX2t JUST two-strokes or is it 2 and 4?

How many 2018 MXGP (450 only) racers never had a factory ride at any level?

I saw one moto with about 15 or 16 on the gate twice, so how few is too few??
Well depends on you definition of ''to slow'.

Marshal Weltin scored a 5th place finish in the final gp of the year.
Simone Furlotti scored a 10th place finish in the final gp of the year.

I don't think that is to slow for MX2. But they are now to old for MX2 and EMX250.

Post a reply to: Ouch. FIM/Youthstream release

The Latest