Other than suspension.. What are the best upgrades or purchases for a 450?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/27/2019 7:10 AM

I am curious to see everyone's opinion

|

11/27/2019 7:12 AM

Spoke wraps and black plastics ...

|

11/27/2019 7:13 AM

Vortex ignition.

|

11/27/2019 7:14 AM

Mapping to your needs. Most factory maps are crappy to start with anyways. But a good tuner can map the bike and move the power around to your needs.

|

11/27/2019 7:16 AM

1. Fuel
2. Air Filters
3. Fresh tires.

|

11/27/2019 7:19 AM

Boomslang wrote:

Vortex ignition.

Bingo.

|

11/27/2019 7:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2019 7:19 AM

Important cheap mod is to purchase a screenless filter cage.

|

11/27/2019 7:21 AM

New tires

|

11/27/2019 7:23 AM

shmacky78 wrote:

Spoke wraps and black plastics ...

Yes, and get rid of the packing in the silencer. Don't forget the Metal Mulisha graphics.

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

11/27/2019 7:26 AM

Depending on your riding, I would also say gearing. Majority of riding on 450s you want to be in 3rd gear comfortably. So going up/down a tooth so you are in the sweet spot in 3rd is important to me, on 450s. Other than that, I do really no motor mods usually. So from there just controls if needed (like on a KTM/Husky, I would get better/wider pegs), grips and invest in tires, since they don't last too long.

|

11/27/2019 7:30 AM

A gym membership or maybe a Peleton bike/membership.

|

11/27/2019 7:33 AM

Boomslang wrote:

Vortex ignition.

Ditto.

|

11/27/2019 7:33 AM


|

11/27/2019 7:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2019 7:38 AM

Boomslang wrote:

Important cheap mod is to purchase a screenless filter cage.

I have been riding open class 4 strokes since my '01 YZ426 (then 3 CRFs, 3 KXFs, and 2 KTMs) and have never once purchased a screenless filter cage.

All of my bikes get suspension. Try to ride it as-is for a few hours to break in (>5) and make some clicker tweaks first, then send it out with your comments to your favorite tuner.

After that it's just maintenance and comfort stuff which is sort of different for every brand. There are known things about the bike (KXFs always need a lower chain roller for example) typically unless you are buying them very early in the model year. I used to put pegs and grippier seat covers on every bike, but the 19-up pegs on the KXF are already oversized and seat covers on stock japanese bikes since ~16 are plenty grippy.

I did put a pipe on my newest bike that I think really helped move the power to where I like it. Can probably accomplish the same thing with mapping depending on your budget. I got the pipe used for $300 so I had nothing to lose really.

|

11/27/2019 7:37 AM

Diet and exercise for the rider.

|

11/27/2019 7:42 AM

Boomslang wrote:

Important cheap mod is to purchase a screenless filter cage.

coastie44 wrote:

I have been riding open class 4 strokes since my '01 YZ426 (then 3 CRFs, 3 KXFs, and 2 KTMs) and have never once purchased a screenless filter cage.

All of my bikes get suspension. Try to ride it as-is for a few hours to break in (>5) and make some clicker tweaks first, then send it out with your comments to your favorite tuner.

After that it's just maintenance and comfort stuff which is sort of different for every brand. There are known things about the bike (KXFs always need a lower chain roller for example) typically unless you are buying them very early in the model year. I used to put pegs and grippier seat covers on every bike, but the 19-up pegs on the KXF are already oversized and seat covers on stock japanese bikes since ~16 are plenty grippy.

I did put a pipe on my newest bike that I think really helped move the power to where I like it. Can probably accomplish the same thing with mapping depending on your budget. I got the pipe used for $300 so I had nothing to lose really.

Nothing wrong with leaving the screen in but if one races and is asking for better performance then start by getting the bike to breath better, suspension, good fuel and mapping etc....

|

11/27/2019 7:43 AM

Fresh tires

Riding coach/classes

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Giant Stance 2.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

11/27/2019 7:58 AM

What 450 are you referring to?

|

11/27/2019 8:03 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

What 450 are you referring to?

I was curious but I personally ride a 18 Yz450f

|

11/27/2019 8:24 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

What 450 are you referring to?

Tyler_Coff303 wrote:

I was curious but I personally ride a 18 Yz450f

Aaaah, now you tell us.

The best mod for the 18 YZ450 is to sell it and purchase a 19 KTM450

|

11/27/2019 8:30 AM

Fresh Tires, as needed, and as many good riding schools as you can afford.

Those riding schools will get you more speed, better lap times and make the bike work for you more than any mod you could ever make (unless one is already an A AA/Pro rider of course).

|

11/27/2019 8:32 AM

A 250cc engine

|

11/27/2019 8:33 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

What 450 are you referring to?

Tyler_Coff303 wrote:

I was curious but I personally ride a 18 Yz450f

Boomslang wrote:

Aaaah, now you tell us.

The best mod for the 18 YZ450 is to sell it and purchase a 19 KTM450

That was a joke btw.

|

11/27/2019 8:36 AM

Tyler_Coff303 wrote:

I was curious but I personally ride a 18 Yz450f

Boomslang wrote:

Aaaah, now you tell us.

The best mod for the 18 YZ450 is to sell it and purchase a 19 KTM450

Boomslang wrote:

That was a joke btw.

I was waiting for one of the smartass answers. Mine was going to be:

Do the 2-stroke conversion:
Step 1: Sell it
Step 2: Buy a YZ250.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/27/2019 8:39 AM

Brakes are often overlooked. Although not as bad as they used to be, Yamaha brakes aren't the best on Earth. Try a braided steel brake line on the front.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/27/2019 8:50 AM

Factory ECU

|

11/27/2019 9:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2019 9:20 AM

Losing body weight is the best mod ever.
Besides suspension a modern 450 doesn’t need shit.

|

11/27/2019 9:38 AM

I didn't even do suspension on mine, no mod is neccessary on any modern 450. All the bikes are better than you.

|

11/27/2019 9:41 AM

Larry450 wrote:

1. Fuel
2. Air Filters
3. Fresh tires.

This.
Grips, maybe bars. Chain/sprockets.

|

11/27/2019 10:18 AM

Throttle stop / limiter. Luckily, my '18 RMZ-450 doesn't need one.

|