Ortho-Pod and neck braces today . . .

mom241
11/14/2011 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:16pm
Why wouldn't you protect your neck?
|
Hando
11/14/2011 7:56pm
There is no scientific evidence to prove they work.

Their success is circumstantial at best...
mom241
11/14/2011 8:01pm
Just telling what a really excellent ortho-pod said.
RACEGUY
11/14/2011 8:03pm
I'm with you mom. I've seen some pretty strong "anecdotal" evidence that there's something worthwhile happening there. Heard some pretty amazing comments from docs as well.
Wandell
11/14/2011 8:06pm
I think a lot of people just don't believe they work. It's not surprising really. Some people still don't believe that seatbelts work and they have decades of research and testing behind them.

The Shop

burba437
11/14/2011 8:08pm
well i never have had a neck injury and imo i cant get used to a neck brace i feel like i have less movement when i ride and i personally wont wear one just on a comfort level
mom241
11/14/2011 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2011 8:11pm
I told him about the theory that they are causing more head injuries, and he agreed that it is possible. Then he said in a lot of those instances you'd still have a head injury and be paralyzed as well. Btw, this doctor sponsors and sends someone from his office to all of the Oklahoma State Series races to aid any injured riders.
35smom
11/14/2011 8:11pm
Hando wrote:

Yea okay...ask my son. Not once but twice. Dont really care about the scientific evidence. As long as my son wears his im happy.
drmarkr
11/14/2011 8:20pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2011 8:32pm
Who is the doc Kari? Might be somebody I know from med school....

FWIW, this doctor and his sons will always be in a Leatt when riding. It's a free country, so you can do as you wish.
mom241
11/14/2011 8:26pm
drmarkr wrote:
Who is the doc Kari? Might be somebody I know from med school.... FWIW, this doctor and his sons will always be in a Leatt when...
Who is the doc Kari? Might be somebody I know from med school....

FWIW, this doctor and his sons will always be in a Leatt when riding. It's a free country, so you can do as you wish.
Dr. Sean O'Brien. He's the surgeon performing surgery on Trey's wrist in TGO a couple of years back.
motokiwi
Fantasy
235th
11/14/2011 9:05pm
I recently popped my shoulder out using an alpinestars bionic brace when the impact dissipated through my neckbrace and into my shoulder.
Im going with Omega next time- looks like it protects your shoulders and is the most padded brace around the shoulder area.
Its also designed by Remo Berlese, moto-design god who invented AXO and has designed many products including boots for all the big names such as a-stars, foxhead etc - so they must be the good gear...
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
11/14/2011 9:20pm
burba437 wrote:
well i never have had a neck injury and imo i cant get used to a neck brace i feel like i have less movement when...
well i never have had a neck injury and imo i cant get used to a neck brace i feel like i have less movement when i ride and i personally wont wear one just on a comfort level
Hahaha, the same guys that won't wear a chest protector because "I feel all restricted" and "they don't look cool".

You know what's really restrictive and uncool? Fiberglass and plaster, external fixators and broken ribs....
wawazat
11/14/2011 9:34pm
I thought fishing season was closed?
mjskier
11/14/2011 9:46pm
One of my riding buddy runs the motocross medic crew at the local races, including endurocross, arenacross, and he assists with the national race at Lakewood. With the number of races he's worked over the years I would think he's heard enough anecdotal evidences about the pros and cons of neck braces.
Both he and his son wear a brace when they ride. I asked him what he thought about some of the rumors about braces causing injuries. He said they were still going to wear theirs.
JB 19
11/14/2011 10:05pm
I wear a Leatt and it just makes sense to me. That's all I need.
jemcee
11/14/2011 10:46pm
burba437 wrote:
well i never have had a neck injury and imo i cant get used to a neck brace i feel like i have less movement when...
FGR01 wrote:
Hahaha, the same guys that won't wear a chest protector because "I feel all restricted" and "they don't look cool". You know what's really restrictive and...
Hahaha, the same guys that won't wear a chest protector because "I feel all restricted" and "they don't look cool".

You know what's really restrictive and uncool? Fiberglass and plaster, external fixators and broken ribs....
wheelchairs are extremely uncool too and definately on the restrictive side

not very comfortable either

but he should be right though, cause you know.. he's never had a neck injury
Jakes Dad
11/15/2011 3:07am
Mom's had the misfortune as I have seeing their child down on the track. "You never want that what if running in the back of your mind".

Like years back I took a young Marine fishing he was getting ready for deployment but was nervous hearing of a few fellow Marines getting hurt. He said some weren't confident in some of their equipment, I couldn't imagine having to do that job not being confident in ones equipment. Helped raise some money for the guy to purchase a .45 and some "true" under armor.

Point being I'd never want my kid having thoughts like this, he's been there seen death 1st hand and has a good buddy now in a chair.
WhKnuckle
11/15/2011 3:10am
Many people aren't opposed to neck braces, they're opposed to the Leatt specifically. I know I went to a shop to buy one when they first came out, put it on my son's neck, envisioned all the forces of a crash and tried to evaluate what the Leatt would do, and decided that it could do more damage than good. Yes, it might save a neck injury, but it could just as easily cause other injuries to the sternum and spine in situations where the neck wasn't in real danger to start with. IMO, the Leatt is a good effort but ultimately a poor design.

Since then I got him an Omega, which also has its shortcomings but is much less likely to cause damage in my opinion. I don't wear a neck brace at all, but I don't ride that hard anyway and I can't stand anything hanging on my upper body, not even a chest protector.
RaceFace
11/15/2011 4:14am
Hando wrote:

Think in terms of knee braces. Knee braces aren't going to prevent all knee injuries, and under the right circumstances will transfer the forces to other areas and cause much worse injuries than would have occurred without a knee brace. I'll admit I have never seen the scientific evidence regarding knee braces either. How many people HAVE seen the testing or scientific proof regarding knee braces? I don't need to. They just make sense to me. Same with the neck braces.
mom241
11/15/2011 5:12am
RaceFace wrote:
Think in terms of knee braces. Knee braces aren't going to prevent all knee injuries, and under the right circumstances will transfer the forces to other...
Think in terms of knee braces. Knee braces aren't going to prevent all knee injuries, and under the right circumstances will transfer the forces to other areas and cause much worse injuries than would have occurred without a knee brace. I'll admit I have never seen the scientific evidence regarding knee braces either. How many people HAVE seen the testing or scientific proof regarding knee braces? I don't need to. They just make sense to me. Same with the neck braces.
Very close to what the Dr said. Kind of a common sense approach.
burba437
11/15/2011 5:52am
burba437 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Hahaha, the same guys that won't wear a chest protector because "I feel all restricted" and "they don't look cool". You know what's really restrictive and...

jemcee wrote:
wheelchairs are extremely uncool too and definately on the restrictive side not very comfortable either but he should be right though, cause you know.. he's never...
wheelchairs are extremely uncool too and definately on the restrictive side

not very comfortable either

but he should be right though, cause you know.. he's never had a neck injury
its not that it looks uncool i just dont feel comfortable riding with one on theres been broken necks and horrible things like that but as a rider we take those chances and we chose to ride with or without certain protective gear but its a risk we all take
The Universe
11/15/2011 5:57am
A decision without data is just an opinion.
burba437
11/15/2011 5:58am
thiss for sure
11/15/2011 6:52am
mom241 wrote:
Just telling what a really excellent ortho-pod said.
the idea is right.
some designs may cause other injuries in crashes where no injury may have occured otherwise. for example, T spine, collarbone, sternum, head.
just because a Dr. says its a good idea doesnt mean that he or she knows how it actually works.
theres a reason that there are many different designs. they do different things.

i really dont think its a matter of people not wanting to protect their neck. and i dont get why people think this is the case.
at this point in time, i think there are more questions than answers.
CamP
11/15/2011 8:45am
RaceFace wrote:
Think in terms of knee braces. Knee braces aren't going to prevent all knee injuries, and under the right circumstances will transfer the forces to other...
mom241 wrote:
Very close to what the Dr said. Kind of a common sense approach.
A fairly well known ortho from Houston was anti knee brace for years because there was no known study that they actually reduced knee injuries, and the risk that a knee brace could potentially cause death if the femoral artery was ruptured. He took it upon himself to do a long term study with large control groups using knee braces and control groups not using braces. The data from the study suggested that knee braces did actually reduce ligament damage without increasing the chances of broken femurs, so this surgeon has done a complete 180 and now recommends the use of knee braces.

This same doctor was initially skeptical about the Leatt brace until he was able to review the testing documentation that Leatt has generated in their test labs.
Hando
11/15/2011 8:55am
X2

Like Leatt is really going to publish data saying it's not effective.

Until someone ponys up and pays a lab to do a test. It's all hearsay.
Lightning78
11/15/2011 10:15am
I firmly believe in my crash where I landed on my head and my body collaspsed thru my strenum breaking 3 t spine vertebrae that wearing a leatt would've definitelt stopped that movement from happening. I would be extremely ok with 2 broken collarbones over 3 broken vertebraeand a sternum. I now wear one and I dont see any restriction in movement unless wearing a chest protector not designed for a leatt brace.
flyinb501
Fantasy
392nd
11/15/2011 10:33am
I broke my neck back in 2000, and I am confident that one of these braces would've prevented it. Now that I'm back riding again, I won't ride without a neck brace.
mom241
11/15/2011 11:20am
wawazat wrote:
I thought fishing season was closed?
Huh?
mom241
11/15/2011 11:21am
Hando wrote:
X2 Like Leatt is really going to publish data saying it's not effective. Until someone ponys up and pays a lab to do a test. It's...
X2

Like Leatt is really going to publish data saying it's not effective.

Until someone ponys up and pays a lab to do a test. It's all hearsay.
Then don't wear one.
Torco1
11/15/2011 11:31am
Something that may potentially keep me from breaking my neck is worth wearing........regardless of the lack of "scientific evidence".

Post a reply to: Ortho-Pod and neck braces today . . .

The Latest