Orange YMCA BMX closing

motobarry
Edited Date/Time 5/25/2016 8:26am
I just wanted to get the word out to the moto world that the Orange YMCA BMX track is suppose to close this summer after over 40 years. Another sad day for Orange County and two wheel sports. I was told they are building a Costco or storage facilities onsite, just what we need.
I don't know if there is anything we can do or if anyone has any ideas, but it is a big bummer. Money always wins, especially in greedy SoCal
|
Dtat720
5/24/2016 10:31am
That has been a drama infested saga for several years... Pretty nasty behind the scenes stuff that OC just got tired of having to deal with
Mr. G
5/24/2016 10:34am
I don't blame anyone for trying to make the most money with their own land. It is a logical endeavor. That BMX track has been there a long time. I have friends that still race there. They will be heart broken.
Torco1
5/24/2016 10:41am
That sucks......I have so many good memories (and a few not so good) from back when I raced there.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/24/2016 10:46am
Wow, I did plenty of races there back in the day.

BMX is a bit unrecognizable to me these days, with clipless pedals, Supercross-style tracks, paved berms, etc.
peelout
5/24/2016 10:51am
GuyB wrote:
Wow, I did plenty of races there back in the day. BMX is a bit unrecognizable to me these days, with clipless pedals, Supercross-style tracks, paved...
Wow, I did plenty of races there back in the day.

BMX is a bit unrecognizable to me these days, with clipless pedals, Supercross-style tracks, paved berms, etc.
back when i raced BMX, my buddy showed up at the track with clipless pedals and smoked me off the line and proceeded to wad, a wad of epic proportions.

sucks to hear of the track closing, i've never been but we had a couple in the area close years ago and we had nowhere to practice anymore and eventually lost interest.
Chad198
5/24/2016 11:02am
Here is the email everyone is getting when they contact the YMCA-

We appreciate feedback regarding this matter. It’s unfortunate SoCal BMX Youth Sports Inc. (Owner: Ruben Sanchez) did not provide clarity on their decision not to continue operating the BMX track.

As an organization we understand the value this BMX track has provided youth and families over the years. The YMCA of Orange operated the BMX track for over 20 years, but there came a time when it was no longer sustainable. Sustainability was directly related to the number of BMX participants. We can’t speak to SoCal BMX’s business finances/model, but we were informed there has been a steady decline in participation throughout the years. Based on what was communicated by SoCal BMX, there were over 100 BMX participants in the past and now there are approximately 40 participants, making this business venture for SoCal BMX no longer sustainable. We assure you the terms of the agreement in question between SoCal BMX and the YMCA of Orange are significantly under market value.

As an organization we respect SoCal BMX’s business decision not to extend the existing agreement past April 30, 2016. The YMCA of Orange and SoCal BMX didn’t want an abrupt ending to this historic track, so we came to a mutual agreement that the last day of BMX programming will be August 31, 2016.

Given the recent developments, the YMCA of Orange will embark on a community needs assessment in the future, as we strive to maximize our assets in an effort to address community needs. It’s unfortunate many have been provided inaccurate information about future plans for our YMCA of Orange property. We have not considered RV storage/parking, as many have referenced in their feedback.

We want to reiterate this was a business decision made by SoCal BMX. We encourage you to direct parents that have concerns/feedback to SoCal BMX, the operating entity of the BMX track. The YMCA of Orange has no additional comments regarding this matter.

If you would like to learn more about the future community needs assessment, feel free to contact the YMCA of Orange in the Fall.

Thank you,

Jimmy Ozaeta
CEO
YMCA of Orange
146 N. Grand Street
Orange, CA 92866
Main Line: (714) 633-9622
Fax: (714) 633-4337
E-mail: jozaeta@ymcaoforange.org
500guy
5/24/2016 11:09am
Sounds like YMCA wanted a rate increase and OrangeY didn't want to pay it.

if they only have 40 riders out there how could anyone expect them to survive ?
Dtat720
5/24/2016 11:32am
Thats a politically correct response. As a former track owner/ operator, its been widely known Orange Y was closing for several years now. Reuben tried to keep it going as long as possible with the support of a lot of pros, but, the writing has been on the wall for a long long time. It did close for a few months a few years ago, when Reuben came in and worked it out to re open. Damage was already done and the costco deal was already in the works with approvals pending.
motobarry
5/24/2016 1:01pm
We appreciate everything Reuben has done. I've supported the YMCA for years, but I'm starting to have second thoughts. The sad part is there are a lot of kids that don't want to be involved in organized sports and they become high risk with all the energy and no outlet. I think BMX and moto have kept a lot of us ADD/high risk folks out of trouble and given us a great outlet,

A lot of local companies make $$ off these racers. We have Fox, Troy Lee, Answer, Monster etc, I'm surprised nobody is looking into this as a place to showcase their products during racing.
twizzler
5/24/2016 1:45pm
That sucks! Was thinking about buying a bmx bike and going riding there to re-live my childhood. Stopped by there last Friday evening. Not crowded compared to many, many years ago. But a small number of kids and parents were having fun. Too bad that experience will be lost. Greedy SoCal true, but the business model must not make sense due to declining participants. Surprised it's remained open all of these years, that alone is a major accomplishment.
500guy
5/24/2016 1:53pm
it's hard to believe that a growing sport like BMX has a hard time getting people involved in such a congested area.

There should be hundreds lined up there not 40. Has to be more to this story.
5/24/2016 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 3:16pm
Never did make it to Orange, but raced Lamirada, Corona(Big Mama), Van Nuys, Western Sports O rama, Stowe Park in Goleta way back in the 70's.

Our local track in my area has also been around since 1974-75. It is on county park property. Around December of last year, a 90 foot deep sink hole opened up, and the track ,as well as the entire park, has been closed since.

Hillsborough county leases the property from Pinellas county. The lease is up for negotiation this year. Pinellas wants to raise the lease amount, and Hillsborough is waiting on the terms. Neither side has shown any interest in repairing the sink hole.

Usually would get about 75-100 riders on race night. Two practice days were also run. It looks like they are not going to reopen anytime soon, and will probably lose their core base of riders.

Sad. Rode my first BMX race there in 1976. My nephew loved going out there, as it was not quite as demanding as our other local track.

jgmxdad251
5/24/2016 3:37pm
500guy wrote:
it's hard to believe that a growing sport like BMX has a hard time getting people involved in such a congested area. There should be hundreds...
it's hard to believe that a growing sport like BMX has a hard time getting people involved in such a congested area.

There should be hundreds lined up there not 40. Has to be more to this story.
Don't know if the sport is growing or not.One thing that has grown are the number of Nationals.Sucks to finally see it going but, they have been talking about it for years. The Simi track land was sold for 24 million. Heard they were going to build 300 Apartments on it. The track owner (Tony) has been talking to the city and have worked out another place for him. Supposed to have a styrder track, pump track, bmx park and maybe maybe a couple of downhill runs.
mxer146
5/24/2016 3:54pm
Bummer. I take my dogs to the dog park next door and watch them ride. It will be missed
c3011
5/24/2016 4:02pm
Seems like BMX is dying a another death.....BMXPlus is dead and I just don't see kids with the race bikes like I used to. It just doesn't interest me like it used to since with clip less peddles, etc.
KMC440
5/24/2016 4:34pm
You guys mention clipless pedals as if that's a deterrent to the kids riding/racing. Look at the bigger picture, parents don't want Johnny or Sally falling down or , heaven forbid , losing anything.

Rider turnout is a greater reflection of this society's helicopter parenting than any current socioeconomic or equipment situation.

Video games ROCK !! No one gets hurt....
jasonv43
5/24/2016 4:39pm
That sucks!!!

I qualified for Gold Cup at that track back in the day. Actually going to Simi BMX tonight with my boy.Cool
jason486
Fantasy
1715th
5/24/2016 5:53pm
500guy wrote:
Sounds like YMCA wanted a rate increase and OrangeY didn't want to pay it. if they only have 40 riders out there how could anyone expect...
Sounds like YMCA wanted a rate increase and OrangeY didn't want to pay it.

if they only have 40 riders out there how could anyone expect them to survive ?
That's the same thing I saw posted by the bmx track, YMCA wanted to raise the rent on them
jason486
Fantasy
1715th
5/24/2016 5:54pm
Anyone used to race coal canyon beside orange y?
motobarry
5/24/2016 6:32pm
Thanks for posting the email reply from the corporate YMCA.
The statement of 40 people isn't really a true statement. The track is slow some days and busy others (especially nationals/double points), but what they are saying is 40 people claim the track as their home track. A lot more racers whose home tracks are Bellflower, Perris, Whittier, Apple Valley and the San Diego tracks race there too. Those people just aren't marked as racing on their home track. It does get busy and there are off days, especially when other tracks host the nationals.
Still going to get as much attention in forums and the media I can get on this, its all about the kids and they don't seem to care.
Thanks everyone
jason486
Fantasy
1715th
5/24/2016 8:52pm

Was getting ready to pull this thing down and rebuild it to ride with my boys at the track
jasonv43
5/25/2016 7:37am
jason486 wrote:
Anyone used to race coal canyon beside orange y?
Yep. That track was awesome. Rancho BMX was my local track. Of course we went to Perris as well.

Ever ride at Twin Palms?Cool

Can't believe how much I have lost from being away from it for so long. I was so pumped last night just to get a decent gate and manual a couple doubles. Kids out there are just crushing it these days. I just love it though ad can't believe I'm doing it again.
hvaughn88
5/25/2016 7:54am
Just took my son to the local bmx track for the first time last night for practice. He absolutely loved it! He can't wait to go back and is planning on doing his first race Friday night.
J2s
5/25/2016 8:26am
Bmx is on the up in the UK ,I used to race early 80s mum dad used to run a track .
I still ride now , but tracks have come a looooong way from high seat post for sitting down round the flatfish berms days
It's all pumping and manuals now with bowl Tarmac berms .
both my boys ride 6 and 9 and go to training Tuesday nights ,we are racing sat night and Sunday this weekend .

Kampy
12/19/2023 9:51pm

I know this thread is almost 8 years old... but damn, I raced here in the 1970s. This is the same track that was originally called Western Sports-O-Rama, started by Steve Rink / PeddlePower, right?

C.Worthy
12/20/2023 11:37am

Such a bummer the lot still sits vacant after all these years. The YMCA building caught fire from vagrants multiple times the last few years so they finally razed it to the ground. The property was slated to become an islamic cemetery and the residents have been up in arms about it. I'd be shocked if the city council lets that go through. So for now it sits vacant.... we need another BMX track in OC.

DEMONDAVE
12/20/2023 2:15pm
C.Worthy wrote:
Such a bummer the lot still sits vacant after all these years. The YMCA building caught fire from vagrants multiple times the last few years so...

Such a bummer the lot still sits vacant after all these years. The YMCA building caught fire from vagrants multiple times the last few years so they finally razed it to the ground. The property was slated to become an islamic cemetery and the residents have been up in arms about it. I'd be shocked if the city council lets that go through. So for now it sits vacant.... we need another BMX track in OC.

still a downer after all these years GOOD NEWS is bellflower and whittier are still going strong and have a fantic following

so cal did lose yucca valley bmx and antelope valley bmx recently but Apple Valley / Hesperia / Lucerne Valley / Yucaipa / grand prix are still up and going and are viable options to get your moto on bmx style

the usabmx grands had hundreds of motos again this year , id say bmx is again on the rise silly clip pedels and all 

system
12/20/2023 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/21/2023 6:03am

It's my understanding that there's a group working with OC Park officials to get a track built at the Great Park in Irvine. There's a Facebook group called Great Park BMX if you're interested in getting involved or want to follow the story. I think BMX/MTB-legend and OC resident Brian Lopes has joined their effort. I'm not affiliated with the group, just a former Y-local.

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
12/20/2023 2:48pm

Another old thread resurrected....Dry

Pretty sad places like the BMX park are getting shut down all over the place.

This is why I laugh at the Stark/E-bike crowd wishful thinking that noiseless motorcycles are going to open up tracks in city limits.

1. ) Real estate is too expensive.  

2.) The city/state wants businesses that bring in maximum tax revenue.

Post a reply to: Orange YMCA BMX closing

The Latest