Opinions on öhlins inserts

8/12/2018 8:48am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2018 6:49am
Hello, i own a ktm 250sx from 2013 and i have been riding around with a ohlins shock for about a year now, and it had been treating me perfectly!

Now i’m racing with a budget and as much as i would love full öhlins forks i can’t afford them. Now the guy who does my suspension service has 2 sets of öhlins inserts for the front (cartridge set?). Anyone has opinions on this vs stock on a 250 from 2013 or atleast oil forks? Thanks in advance!
|
KTMsc
8/12/2018 8:58am
I had the Ohlins in my 2013 KTM 250SX and liked them, of course anything is better than the the stock forks.
Had them in my 2010 first, then swapped them into the 13.
Played with the oil height a little and all was well.
8/12/2018 11:21am
Was it a lot of difference, especially on the small chop and bigger bumps? We ride alot of sand here being in holland and the tracks get proper rough
KTMsc
8/12/2018 12:43pm
I felt it was worth it. Got rid eof the harshness at mid-stroke. I was always chasing a balance between harsh and bottoming out.
Having had tuners work on my forks on previous bike with less than great results, I went the cartridges.
Besides being able to use them in two different bikes, I was able to put the stock stuff back and sell them when I got a new AER equipped bike.
8/14/2018 9:25am
Might aswell give them a shot then, guess they’ll hold their value pretty well and it’ll always be a improvement over stock i guess!

The Shop

Sunhouse
8/14/2018 9:43am
How much did you pay for the inserts? I’m in the process of rebuilding my bike and the forks need a major overhaul
8/14/2018 10:39am
Sunhouse wrote:
How much did you pay for the inserts? I’m in the process of rebuilding my bike and the forks need a major overhaul
Nothing paid yet, the ones he has are from 2016 or 2017 and i think he wants 650-700 euro for them including parts and sprung for my weight/ability
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1515th
8/14/2018 11:27am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 4:00pm
We run the Ohlins Shock and Cartridge inserts on our 2018 Yz450's and love them! We raced "B" class at Loretta's this year and the Ohlins suspension was a huge improvement over the stock suspension.
8/14/2018 4:20pm
I've run the Ohlins inserts before. Worthwhile upgrade. Very good on the small and big stuff.
Crush
8/14/2018 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2018 4:25pm
Had them on my 13 KTM SXF. Awesome upgrade, especially as I'm not super fast, gave me a lot more confidence. They definitely were an improvement on the stockers...

If you had a different fork probably not but I thought they were great.
Tonynz
8/14/2018 7:05pm
Had them on my 16 350 SXF, kept the forks and inserts when I sold my bike
last week, will fit them onto my 19 350 this weekend.
8/15/2018 4:51am
Crush wrote:
Had them on my 13 KTM SXF. Awesome upgrade, especially as I'm not super fast, gave me a lot more confidence. They definitely were an improvement...
Had them on my 13 KTM SXF. Awesome upgrade, especially as I'm not super fast, gave me a lot more confidence. They definitely were an improvement on the stockers...

Using the stock 2013 fork, just resprung and dialed in for my weight/ability. Hardpack or deep sand i never change the setting myself, always ride with the same setting as i dont notice the small difference just want a super trusty handling bike that doesnt suprise me on any surface
Crush
8/15/2018 5:34am
Crush wrote:
Had them on my 13 KTM SXF. Awesome upgrade, especially as I'm not super fast, gave me a lot more confidence. They definitely were an improvement...

DannyST107 wrote:
Using the stock 2013 fork, just resprung and dialed in for my weight/ability. Hardpack or deep sand i never change the setting myself, always ride with...
Using the stock 2013 fork, just resprung and dialed in for my weight/ability. Hardpack or deep sand i never change the setting myself, always ride with the same setting as i dont notice the small difference just want a super trusty handling bike that doesnt suprise me on any surface
I think you'd like them mate... We're all hardpack here really unless you want to go for a bit of a drive... It was the best handling bike i'd ridden after those, much more confidence for me.

I had the shock also, which I thought was unreal. I never cared much about great rear suspension before then, they all seemed ok but far out, that made the rear stick to the ground, couldn't believe it. Similar result upfront.
8/15/2018 5:39am
Crush wrote:

DannyST107 wrote:
Using the stock 2013 fork, just resprung and dialed in for my weight/ability. Hardpack or deep sand i never change the setting myself, always ride with...
Crush wrote:
I think you'd like them mate... We're all hardpack here really unless you want to go for a bit of a drive... It was the best...
I think you'd like them mate... We're all hardpack here really unless you want to go for a bit of a drive... It was the best handling bike i'd ridden after those, much more confidence for me.

I had the shock also, which I thought was unreal. I never cared much about great rear suspension before then, they all seemed ok but far out, that made the rear stick to the ground, couldn't believe it. Similar result upfront.
Alright gonna bite the bullet on them as soon as he knows what he wants for them, was going to have back and front serviced anyways so putting them in and dialed shouldnt set me back that much. Thanks!
8/15/2018 6:13am
We sell out on front & rear suspension for KTM's every year. JS
8/15/2018 6:17am
P.S. Your bike looks good Danny but running the #13? eek!Shocked
8/15/2018 6:23am
Haha season of 2016 was filled with injury and crashes due to others around me (bad luck) so was looking for a new number in a new class i raced in so figured why not 13, and been running it for 2 seasons now with no issues at all!

And ohlins front and back would be a dream, inserts are as close that i can come ?
8/15/2018 6:29am Edited Date/Time 8/15/2018 6:49am
DannyST107 wrote:
Haha season of 2016 was filled with injury and crashes due to others around me (bad luck) so was looking for a new number in a...
Haha season of 2016 was filled with injury and crashes due to others around me (bad luck) so was looking for a new number in a new class i raced in so figured why not 13, and been running it for 2 seasons now with no issues at all!

And ohlins front and back would be a dream, inserts are as close that i can come ?
The inserts are the 'guts' of the complete Öhlins forks so the ride will be very good! Your bike is a 2013 model so your number choice makes sense! glwt
BR8ES
8/15/2018 6:47am
The inserts are pretty darn good, not quite full RFX good though. Definitely worth it.

Post a reply to: Opinions on öhlins inserts

The Latest