Opinions on Running VP T4 fuel on a bran new stock 450? Is it worth it?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/21/2020 10:20 PM

.

|

5/21/2020 10:26 PM

No

|

5/21/2020 10:32 PM

Race gas = Bob Wirth

|

5/21/2020 10:36 PM

It depends on what you consider "worth it". If you have the ECU reflashed you would get the most out of the T4. I run it because I hate pump gas. If I can't ride for a while I don't have to worry about the gas turning to shit in my tank or having to drain it. There are no petcocks on modern bikes that make it easy. T4 will keep a lot longer than pump gas but at least you can use the old pump gas in your truck. It's money way better spent than on bling and pretty doodads powder coated spoke nipple and such nonsense that gets you nothing in the way of performance. For the people that say you don't need the extra octane it's only 96.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

5/21/2020 10:44 PM

Lets see a video of you riding and let us judge if race gas is of any use to you.

|

5/21/2020 10:47 PM

Richard Tease II wrote:

Lets see a video of you riding and let us judge if race gas is of any use to you.

It’s not really race gas it’s 96 octane..

|

5/21/2020 11:05 PM

I’d run a high grade pump gas at least for safety. Today’s pump gas is garbage and has water and other contaminants in it and ethanol. Today’s pump gas only has around a 2 to 4 week shelf life. I had a bike cut out on me on the face of a jump and got hurt pretty bad from new pump fuel. Renegade sells a 93 pump fuel the is high quality and a 2 year shelf life. I get a 55 drum of it for $280. So its added insurance for safety and bike will always start up even after setting for months. Full out race gas I don’t think it’s worth it unless you’re competing at a very high level and have engine mods or at least tuning for the fuel.

|

5/22/2020 12:44 AM

Non ethanol pump gas is all you need. Find your closest local station or fuel depot that sells that stuff. Super thankful to have two options within 10 mins here.

|

5/22/2020 12:59 AM

I run t4 because I just don't trust the pump fuel. My truck requires premium and just last week I filled with bad fuel. I noticed the truck was running sort of funny so I ran a quick data log and saw spikes of 8 degrees knock retard. The ecu on a bike is far less sophisticated and would happily spark knock itself to death if gone unnoticed.

|

5/22/2020 3:26 AM

Yes

1) the smell when you walk in the garage
2) stability
3) the crisp response

|

5/22/2020 4:13 AM

During Nationals last year the guy i wrenched for Timmy Crosby he had a bone stock 2019 yz450f, ran the T4 at high point national, then switched right back to 93 pump gas for the rest of the nationals . He had noticed that the bike ran smother on 93. Try it out see if you see a difference. Also if you remap you will see better gains and response from switching fuels. In all honesty a 450 is more than enough for 99.9% of riders, imo putting the money yous save running pump gas put into your suspension. I'd rather have a bike that handles amazing than ahs more power that is "uncontrollable ". Up to you in the end im just a washed up B rider.

-BR

|

5/22/2020 4:15 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Yes

1) the smell when you walk in the garage
2) stability
3) the crisp response

Yep. Nothing better than opening the garage door and that smell.

|

5/22/2020 4:20 AM

Sachmo831 wrote:

I run t4 because I just don't trust the pump fuel. My truck requires premium and just last week I filled with bad fuel. I noticed the truck was running sort of funny so I ran a quick data log and saw spikes of 8 degrees knock retard. The ecu on a bike is far less sophisticated and would happily spark knock itself to death if gone unnoticed.

Curious what kind of truck you have?

|

5/22/2020 5:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2020 5:05 AM

Sachmo831 wrote:

I run t4 because I just don't trust the pump fuel. My truck requires premium and just last week I filled with bad fuel. I noticed the truck was running sort of funny so I ran a quick data log and saw spikes of 8 degrees knock retard. The ecu on a bike is far less sophisticated and would happily spark knock itself to death if gone unnoticed.

Rick Amatuzio wrote:

Curious what kind of truck you have?

Yeah what truck needs 91/93? Most will run on 87 but manufacturers recommend 89. I have a Ram 1500 5.7 and it doesn’t love 87 but will run alright on it. You must be running a tune on it.

|

5/22/2020 5:06 AM

Nope. Run any old 93 octane and you’ll be just fine.

|

5/22/2020 5:13 AM

Sachmo831 wrote:

I run t4 because I just don't trust the pump fuel. My truck requires premium and just last week I filled with bad fuel. I noticed the truck was running sort of funny so I ran a quick data log and saw spikes of 8 degrees knock retard. The ecu on a bike is far less sophisticated and would happily spark knock itself to death if gone unnoticed.

Rick Amatuzio wrote:

Curious what kind of truck you have?

gmc sierra 2500HD 6.0. Cam, converter, milled heads and exhaust. It's tuned for 91+ octane Photo

|

5/22/2020 5:38 AM

captmoto wrote:

It depends on what you consider "worth it". If you have the ECU reflashed you would get the most out of the T4. I run it because I hate pump gas. If I can't ride for a while I don't have to worry about the gas turning to shit in my tank or having to drain it. There are no petcocks on modern bikes that make it easy. T4 will keep a lot longer than pump gas but at least you can use the old pump gas in your truck. It's money way better spent than on bling and pretty doodads powder coated spoke nipple and such nonsense that gets you nothing in the way of performance. For the people that say you don't need the extra octane it's only 96.

Wait..........wait........ are you saying that T4 will help me go faster than a set of spoke skins!?!?!?

But back to the O.P... My ‘17 Honda 450 was a mere 4 hours old when I noticed it was picking up a bad habit of smoking a little bit. I didn’t know if it was valve seals or what my problem was. On a whim I tried running a 60/40 mix of C12/87 rec fuel (no ethanol) no more smoking. Put a tank of 93 pump back in it and smoke mysteriously reappeared. my local dealer didn’t have T4 at the time so I never got to try it. But I’m going to buy some of the ETS race fuels for my 250sx and give it a shot.

|

5/22/2020 6:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2020 6:52 AM

captmoto wrote:

It depends on what you consider "worth it". If you have the ECU reflashed you would get the most out of the T4. I run it because I hate pump gas. If I can't ride for a while I don't have to worry about the gas turning to shit in my tank or having to drain it. There are no petcocks on modern bikes that make it easy. T4 will keep a lot longer than pump gas but at least you can use the old pump gas in your truck. It's money way better spent than on bling and pretty doodads powder coated spoke nipple and such nonsense that gets you nothing in the way of performance. For the people that say you don't need the extra octane it's only 96.

JWalkowiak951 wrote:

Wait..........wait........ are you saying that T4 will help me go faster than a set of spoke skins!?!?!?

But back to the O.P... My ‘17 Honda 450 was a mere 4 hours old when I noticed it was picking up a bad habit of smoking a little bit. I didn’t know if it was valve seals or what my problem was. On a whim I tried running a 60/40 mix of C12/87 rec fuel (no ethanol) no more smoking. Put a tank of 93 pump back in it and smoke mysteriously reappeared. my local dealer didn’t have T4 at the time so I never got to try it. But I’m going to buy some of the ETS race fuels for my 250sx and give it a shot.

My 2017 CRF 450 would detonate a bit on hot days under heavy load when running 93 octane pump. I found a place locally where I could buy 110 octane unleaded from the pump and mixed it 50/50 with the 93 pump gas. That solved my problem. Now I’m on a 2019 KX 450 and it runs fine on 93 octane. Basically, if you are on a stock bike and it doesn’t ping on 93 octane, there will be no performance advantage from switching to T-4.
Get in the habit of only buying as much gas as you need for that day. Gas degrades rather quickly when stored in plastic containers.

|

5/22/2020 7:09 AM

Sachmo831 wrote:

I run t4 because I just don't trust the pump fuel. My truck requires premium and just last week I filled with bad fuel. I noticed the truck was running sort of funny so I ran a quick data log and saw spikes of 8 degrees knock retard. The ecu on a bike is far less sophisticated and would happily spark knock itself to death if gone unnoticed.

Rick Amatuzio wrote:

Curious what kind of truck you have?

Tuna wrote:

Yeah what truck needs 91/93? Most will run on 87 but manufacturers recommend 89. I have a Ram 1500 5.7 and it doesn’t love 87 but will run alright on it. You must be running a tune on it.

The Chevrolet Silverado with the 6.2L recommends Premium, but you can run lower octane the computer will compensate and lower the HP to run the lower #.

|

5/22/2020 7:49 AM

Rick Amatuzio wrote:

Curious what kind of truck you have?

Tuna wrote:

Yeah what truck needs 91/93? Most will run on 87 but manufacturers recommend 89. I have a Ram 1500 5.7 and it doesn’t love 87 but will run alright on it. You must be running a tune on it.

Tuzzo123 wrote:

The Chevrolet Silverado with the 6.2L recommends Premium, but you can run lower octane the computer will compensate and lower the HP to run the lower #.

Any modern vehicle will pull timing based on fuel. I used to be into turbo Subaru’s and always tuned them on the worst 91 pump available in my area for safety. I could see in the data logs that Irving 91 would pull at least 4 to 5 degrees of timing vs Shell 91 ethanol free. In my Ram I typically see at least 1mpg difference in economy running 91 vs 87. My company only permits us to use 87 with our gas cards.

|

5/22/2020 8:23 AM

Sachmo831 wrote:

gmc sierra 2500HD 6.0. Cam, converter, milled heads and exhaust. It's tuned for 91+ octane Photo

Your truck looks angry.

|

5/22/2020 8:27 AM

There's a 'd' in brand in case you didn't know. And I say run it if you want to run it, race gas is the shit. Better than putting some 4000 octane stuff in there, you will actually gain some power with T4.

|

5/22/2020 8:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/22/2020 8:37 AM

Man I love the smell of T4. Ran it exclusively when I lived in California, for obvious reasons. Oregon has ethanol-free pump gas but I still run T4 because burning money never smelled so good.

|

5/22/2020 8:33 AM

FortyHat wrote:

Non ethanol pump gas is all you need. Find your closest local station or fuel depot that sells that stuff. Super thankful to have two options within 10 mins here.

This really depends where you live. For the majority of the US in 2020, it's not going to be viable. Here's the website to locate ethanol-free gas for those interested.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

|

5/22/2020 8:38 AM

cripdog255 wrote:

It’s not really race gas it’s 96 octane..

True, it's a substitute for shitty California pump gas. My Bike, My Choice.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

5/22/2020 8:40 AM

FortyHat wrote:

Non ethanol pump gas is all you need. Find your closest local station or fuel depot that sells that stuff. Super thankful to have two options within 10 mins here.

I would if I could. The only option for me besides T4 is avgas. I run that in my 2 strokes.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

5/22/2020 9:36 AM

Richard Tease II wrote:

Lets see a video of you riding and let us judge if race gas is of any use to you.

cripdog255 wrote:

It’s not really race gas it’s 96 octane..

It’s still considered race gas.

|

5/22/2020 10:02 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Yes

1) the smell when you walk in the garage
2) stability
3) the crisp response

Premix wrote:

Yep. Nothing better than opening the garage door and that smell.

That's cancer you can smell.

|

5/22/2020 10:04 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Yes

1) the smell when you walk in the garage
2) stability
3) the crisp response

Premix wrote:

Yep. Nothing better than opening the garage door and that smell.

Bruce372 wrote:

That's cancer you can smell.

Worth it.

|

5/22/2020 10:29 AM

We run VP MS109 in our 125's and have them jetted accordingly. Does it make a difference? They very run consistent. I rarely mess with jetting like I would buying rando pump gas on the way to the track. That to me is worth it.

|

"Hope is not a strategy"