Opinions - Buying an ex race bike

make1go
5/12/2018 4:39am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2018 4:40am
i bought an ex pros bike, spent ages making it slower and softer..but at the price with this on it, couldnt resist..
a kit front and rear
vortex
full ti akprovic
cams, head work
gytr clutch
rhk blue hubs, hd stainless spokes
answer seat cover, spare plastics
os brake rotor
brembo rear rotor
many new engine parts.
and more i cant remember..
prolly near 62hp idk, but i couldnt hang on just stupid fast..
sold now, kept forks, wheels

yes would do it again..
Crush
5/12/2018 4:50am
Sweet baby jesus, way to bring up an old thread. The bike I bought after this was stolen long ago haha
CG118
5/12/2018 5:33am
Did you ever buy the 350 from the pro? If so, would be interested to know how reliable you found it.....
CG118
5/12/2018 5:34am
Even if it was a looong time ago.

The Shop

mayzo
5/12/2018 5:47am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2018 5:48am
Crush wrote:
Cheers for the opinions guys... And Ando thanks for that! Nice to know. Apparently he's mates with the mech from the team... Hasn't had a lot...
Cheers for the opinions guys... And Ando thanks for that! Nice to know.

Apparently he's mates with the mech from the team... Hasn't had a lot of work after buying it but still, i'm even a little wary knowing it's had so much engine work done to it...

Still gotta sell the 300 anyways, but like the idea of getting some more track oriented.

Cheers!
Funny thing Crush, I was going through gumtree yesterday and there's a guy selling an ex marmot 2012 JDR 250 and I thought you were asking about that until I saw the original post date.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/12/2018 5:52am
Preston412 wrote:
There is nothing factory about a factory bike when it is sold to the general public, except graphics and a hand full of aftermarket parts that...
There is nothing factory about a factory bike when it is sold to the general public, except graphics and a hand full of aftermarket parts that any one can buy.

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe the factory rider's bikes are actually 390's not 350's.
Not true, bought a retired star racing bike some 10 years ago for my son. Was told stock engine was put back in prior to the sale but trying to replace parts later, even the parts counter guys were baffled. They said they had never seen a head like what I brought in and could not find anything in the system to replace what I had. So no, sometimes they have the goods.
Crush
5/12/2018 5:54am
CG118 wrote:
Even if it was a looong time ago.
Nah mate, bought another 350 though. Great bikes!
Crush
5/12/2018 5:55am
mayzo wrote:
Funny thing Crush, I was going through gumtree yesterday and there's a guy selling an ex marmot 2012 JDR 250 and I thought you were asking...
Funny thing Crush, I was going through gumtree yesterday and there's a guy selling an ex marmot 2012 JDR 250 and I thought you were asking about that until I saw the original post date.
haha... Mate, the next one will be a TPI I think. We just bought a place on the central coast so getting closer!
kkawboy14
5/12/2018 6:03am
Never buy a Pros “practice” bike.....that thing will be hammered!
His Race Bike? Oh yeah!
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
5/12/2018 6:33am
Why do people Get mad when some one comments on an
Old thread?
There is a lot of Great stuff buried in here
Isn't that what its there for?

Hammer 663s
5/12/2018 8:14am
bents wrote:
You need to buy a vet racer's bike. All blinged out, never hit the rev limiter, oil changed every 2 rides....those are the bikes to buy...
You need to buy a vet racer's bike. All blinged out, never hit the rev limiter, oil changed every 2 rides....those are the bikes to buy! A pro rider? Taking a bike chance IMHO.
^^^^This. I'm on used Vet bike #3. All were low hours, blinged out, perfectly maintained, and way cheap. Injury forces sale, or got too old. I'm old and slow too, but still like to get a good deal.
make1go
5/12/2018 8:21am
damm didnt check the date, fell for the ole necrothreader again..
ama530
5/12/2018 8:38am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2018 8:39am
bents wrote:
You need to buy a vet racer's bike. All blinged out, never hit the rev limiter, oil changed every 2 rides....those are the bikes to buy...
You need to buy a vet racer's bike. All blinged out, never hit the rev limiter, oil changed every 2 rides....those are the bikes to buy! A pro rider? Taking a bike chance IMHO.
^^^^This. I'm on used Vet bike #3. All were low hours, blinged out, perfectly maintained, and way cheap. Injury forces sale, or got too old. I'm...
^^^^This. I'm on used Vet bike #3. All were low hours, blinged out, perfectly maintained, and way cheap. Injury forces sale, or got too old. I'm old and slow too, but still like to get a good deal.
This. Always go for the rich Senior rider that buys a new bike every year. Get a newly broken-in bike for half the price of a new one.

There are levels of pros. Factory pros have their bikes usually sold for them by their mechanics. If you can get one, buy and run. The mechanics usually go over everything and are legit. Local pros usually have bikes that are beat into the ground even though they look bling. I worked for Eyvind Boyesen when I was in college. I would do race support at the big local races and the nationals on the east coast. Most of the privateer pros didn't know anything about their bikes and could care less. They could just ride them. I usually went by how many pounds of nice shiny stuff that was in the oil to determine what level of retard I was dealing with. Cut to the chase. No, I would not touch a local pros bike. Race or practice. But the novice down the street knows that his bike is so much better because he is so much faster than everybody else. That make it all better.
newmann
5/12/2018 9:28am
In for a five year old thread! Never ever ever buy a pros old bike! Everything will be stretched way out of spec! The frame, the swingarm, the rims, the hubs AND the sprocket bolts. No way you would ever get them torqued to spec. The engine cases will be useless. No one here could ever understand the stresses a pro rider puts on a bike, you are all too slow.

I learned all of the above right here, by the way.Wink
H4L
5/12/2018 9:58am
Yep. Learned this the hard way. In 05 I purchased a used practice bike that was suppose to be CR22's 04 YZ250. It was through an acquaintance that new Larry Brooks. Even though it had PC engine mods with Enzo suspension when it was sold to me, the bike felt clapped out. These Pro bikes will pop up from time to time & it's best to start with a used bike that has low hrs. as a better platform IMHO..

Post a reply to: Opinions - Buying an ex race bike

The Latest