Opinions - Buying an ex race bike

Crush
5/14/2013 7:08am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2013 6:41pm
Would you guys buy this?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tingira-heights/motorcycles/ktm-350sx-ra…

Supposedly Ryan Marmonts ex bike from 2011, and he didn't race much that year... thoughts?

I'm kinda liking the idea of the 350... Tested one in 2011, super easy to ride... But there are a few Cairoli replicas from 11 and 12 around as well...

??
|
pete24
5/14/2013 7:13am
two rules, one , never let anyone faster than u ride your bike , and two, never buy a bike from someone faster than u, if ur looking at it to have in your colection to look at thats fine but a used race bike should be barely ridden , or just buy a new one all those foo foo paaaats on it done make it worth a dollar more
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
5/14/2013 7:34am
Long ago we bought one of Stephane Roncadas PC bikes for our son. $3,000. His mechanic put it in race condition before giving it to us, my son rode it for a year doing no more than general maintanence and we sold it on Ebay for more than we paid. If they freshen it up before selling you are safe
Crush
5/14/2013 8:19am
Should say it's supposedly his practice bike and he did cop an injury after the 2nd or 3rd round of MX...
JBods
5/14/2013 8:31am
You know it's been taken care of..

The Shop

lumpy790
5/14/2013 9:02am
depends on the rider. Some guys pound the crap out of their bikes like Stanton and some ride smoother like JMB......and bike abuse accordingly.

Is it a real race bike or a practice bike? Race bike will have parts replaced before failure where a practice bike will get those used hand me down parts put on it.
peelout
5/14/2013 9:13am
i would much rather buy a bike that was taken care of by a racer than a bike that looks clean but was owned by a dune-rat any day of the week.

the "never been raced" description in used bike ads kills me.
SEE ARE125
5/14/2013 9:16am
peelout wrote:
i would much rather buy a bike that was taken care of by a racer than a bike that looks clean but was owned by a...
i would much rather buy a bike that was taken care of by a racer than a bike that looks clean but was owned by a dune-rat any day of the week.

Yeah I always look for the "never been raped" ads. That's the ones you want to buy.
lumpy790
5/14/2013 9:19am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2013 8:24pm
never raced to me means seldom taken care of ......
mgifracing
Fantasy
319th
5/14/2013 9:21am
I bought one of Tommy Hahn's Loretta's 450 a few years ago and I may as well have went straight to the parts counter. Suspension was awesome (we're close in weight). The engine lasted 2 practice motos and almost 2 vet 30 moto's(almost). Tommy's dad and I had a pretty good laugh over that bike. Needless to say I had to turn around and buy a new one.
jleews6
5/14/2013 9:27am
peelout wrote:
i would much rather buy a bike that was taken care of by a racer than a bike that looks clean but was owned by a...

I agree and buying a local bike that you know is even better. Some kids hold them wide open on the limiter all the time and I would never buy one from them. There is nothing worse for a motor then to be at full rpm with no load on it. It makes me cringe when I hear it.
Right now Im selling an 11 crf450 that has been raced but my son is a super smooth rider that naver over revs the bike and the oil and both filters get changed every two hours no matter what.
peelout
5/14/2013 9:50am
peelout wrote:

jleews6 wrote:
I agree and buying a local bike that you know is even better. Some kids hold them wide open on the limiter all the time and...
I agree and buying a local bike that you know is even better. Some kids hold them wide open on the limiter all the time and I would never buy one from them. There is nothing worse for a motor then to be at full rpm with no load on it. It makes me cringe when I hear it.
Right now Im selling an 11 crf450 that has been raced but my son is a super smooth rider that naver over revs the bike and the oil and both filters get changed every two hours no matter what.
sorry to get off topic but i heard an interesting rumor this week, and maybe someone can look into it or might remember reading it in a magazine...

but the mechanics were talking about who is hard on motors and who is easy on them. regarding Tomac and his smooth style, his mechanic was saying how hard he was on the motor... and Barcia's mechanic was saying the opposite, that Barcia's motors were in better shape than Tomac's...

like i said, it was a rumor i heard. pretty interesting if true.
Preston412
5/14/2013 9:51am
There is nothing factory about a factory bike when it is sold to the general public, except graphics and a hand full of aftermarket parts that any one can buy.

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe the factory rider's bikes are actually 390's not 350's.
Wandell
5/14/2013 10:06am
It's been my experience that most racers take better care of their bikes.
IWreckALot
5/14/2013 10:43am
peelout wrote:
sorry to get off topic but i heard an interesting rumor this week, and maybe someone can look into it or might remember reading it in...
sorry to get off topic but i heard an interesting rumor this week, and maybe someone can look into it or might remember reading it in a magazine...

but the mechanics were talking about who is hard on motors and who is easy on them. regarding Tomac and his smooth style, his mechanic was saying how hard he was on the motor... and Barcia's mechanic was saying the opposite, that Barcia's motors were in better shape than Tomac's...

Was that comparing the 250 and 450 or was the mechanic comparing Tomac's 250 to when JB was on a 250? It seems like Barcia was harder on the 250 bike than Tomac. But I'm far from a mechanic.
peelout
5/14/2013 11:17am
IWreckALot wrote:
Was that comparing the 250 and 450 or was the mechanic comparing Tomac's 250 to when JB was on a 250? It seems like Barcia was...
Was that comparing the 250 and 450 or was the mechanic comparing Tomac's 250 to when JB was on a 250? It seems like Barcia was harder on the 250 bike than Tomac. But I'm far from a mechanic.
to tell you the truth i'm not sure. my buddy was telling me about it this weekend at some local races. i would assume that since they were comparing the two, it would have been from when they were both on 250's. i would assume Barcia is harder on a motor, but that was the point of the comparison, to show otherwise. i'll have to ask him if he remembers where he saw it and if i can get my hands on it.
5/14/2013 12:56pm
Not a factory bike .

Factory bikes of that year will have different subframe's you cant notice it by eye only by measurement and weight.
Factory frames of 2011 have lowered foot pegs about ( 1-1,5 cm lower )

clamps r not factory clamps they r KTM powerparts at best probably stock
Suspension is stock,
brakes and wheels stock

i would have a look out for test bike's its ridden by multiple riders but the ktm dealer has to do the mandatory refresh en check up including warranty ( KTM's rules for test bikes before they r sold )

hope this helps
bents
Fantasy
694th
5/14/2013 1:11pm
You need to buy a vet racer's bike. All blinged out, never hit the rev limiter, oil changed every 2 rides....those are the bikes to buy! A pro rider? Taking a bike chance IMHO.
IWreckALot
5/14/2013 1:13pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Was that comparing the 250 and 450 or was the mechanic comparing Tomac's 250 to when JB was on a 250? It seems like Barcia was...
peelout wrote:
to tell you the truth i'm not sure. my buddy was telling me about it this weekend at some local races. i would assume that since...
to tell you the truth i'm not sure. my buddy was telling me about it this weekend at some local races. i would assume that since they were comparing the two, it would have been from when they were both on 250's. i would assume Barcia is harder on a motor, but that was the point of the comparison, to show otherwise. i'll have to ask him if he remembers where he saw it and if i can get my hands on it.
I wonder if Tomac is able to run wide open and just appear more smooth than Barcia was. We always hear a lot about how "Barcia revs to the moon" which he might do a little more than others but when I attend races, it's always surprising to hear rev limiters real often. It's not like Barcia is the only one. Even on the 450's.
5/14/2013 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2013 1:47pm
Id rather buy an ex-race bike than a ex-trail bike. Race bikes get washed and taken care of most of the time.
ando
5/14/2013 1:55pm
Crush wrote:
Would you guys buy this? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tingira-heights/motorcycles/ktm-350sx-race-bike/1012695380 Supposedly Ryan Marmonts ex bike from 2011, and he didn't race much that year... thoughts? I'm kinda liking the idea...
Would you guys buy this?

Supposedly Ryan Marmonts ex bike from 2011, and he didn't race much that year... thoughts?

I'm kinda liking the idea of the 350... Tested one in 2011, super easy to ride... But there are a few Cairoli replicas from 11 and 12 around as well...

??
Crush, KTM Australia's race team bikes get returned to KTM headquarters here in Perth. They pull off any special components that are factory only, but very often leave a lot of other goodies that are from the hard parts catalogue. They will do a motor rebuild as well.

If this really is an ex-race team bike the guy should have a receipt from KTM Australia (AHG), not from a dealer.
jleews6
5/14/2013 2:04pm
peelout wrote:

jleews6 wrote:
I agree and buying a local bike that you know is even better. Some kids hold them wide open on the limiter all the time and...
peelout wrote:
sorry to get off topic but i heard an interesting rumor this week, and maybe someone can look into it or might remember reading it in...

I would like to hear the full story on this. I do know that "free wheeling" a motor at max RPMs is torture on them.

Just to give you an idea , In a drag race motor that has aluminum rods in it your not even supposed to down shift and use the motor to help slow you down because they say it can stretch the rods.
The valve train doesnt see these same levels of sress but I have seen many of valve springs break in cars because people over rev them. Chances are an MX bike wont break springs because the valve train is alot lighter and doesnt beat the springs as bad as a car engine does.
TeamGreen
5/14/2013 2:15pm
peelout wrote:

Yyyyyyyuuuuup!

"Yo, Bro...this thing is Siiiick! Fastest bike at Glamis, Bro! Never been raced and she's got New Graphics! Just put new rings in'er back in '90, Bro!"
5/14/2013 4:51pm
i have bought 2 ex race bikes just know what you are buying before hand and the other thing is make sure you can get parts both of mine use custom pistons and valves.
mx5471
5/14/2013 5:12pm
The bike is junk. pete24 is right. A fast guy can destroy a bike in an hour. I wouldn't touch it. It is nothing but trouble and money. You will spend more time working to make the money to fix it than you will spend riding it.
5/14/2013 6:37pm
peelout wrote:

Yep. Seen one that said "well taken care of" and it showed a picture of the bike leaning against a fence with a tarp still partially hanging on.
Was with a friend who was calling about a "mechanic owned" bike. They were conversing and I was eavesdropping and he asked him about being a mechanic. Friend starts laughing and nearly drops the phone. The guys answer? "I R+R transmissions at AAMCO" (no offense intended transmission guys)
Just last week a neighbor, whom I had only seen in passing, stopped to ask me about a bike.(he had seen me washing mine in the drive), tells me he's a mechanic and has a small shop and was trying to fix a clutch on a 06 (he thinks)KTM a guy had brought him. Says he has the cover off and wants to know if the clutch is "back there". 3 questions later I determined he was on the wrong side of the bike.
I think my laughter offended him(it just came out, couldn't help it) as he no longer waves when he goes by.
Crush
5/14/2013 6:41pm
Cheers for the opinions guys... And Ando thanks for that! Nice to know.

Apparently he's mates with the mech from the team... Hasn't had a lot of work after buying it but still, i'm even a little wary knowing it's had so much engine work done to it...

Still gotta sell the 300 anyways, but like the idea of getting some more track oriented.

Cheers!
5/12/2018 1:34am
peelout wrote:

I agree 100 on that ...I bought Cianciarulos 2013 practice supermini and my girl loves it too much to ever sell it ....such a convo starter too!
5/12/2018 4:03am
I bought my 250f from Steve Boniface. I haven't had any issues. It helped that he showed me paper work for the rebuild shortly before I bought it.
ando
5/12/2018 4:19am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2018 4:21am
5/12/2018 4:32am
Crush wrote:
Would you guys buy this? http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tingira-heights/motorcycles/ktm-350sx-race-bike/1012695380 Supposedly Ryan Marmonts ex bike from 2011, and he didn't race much that year... thoughts? I'm kinda liking the idea...
Would you guys buy this?

??
ando wrote:
Crush, KTM Australia's race team bikes get returned to KTM headquarters here in Perth. They pull off any special components that are factory only, but very...
Crush, KTM Australia's race team bikes get returned to KTM headquarters here in Perth. They pull off any special components that are factory only, but very often leave a lot of other goodies that are from the hard parts catalogue. They will do a motor rebuild as well.

If this really is an ex-race team bike the guy should have a receipt from KTM Australia (AHG), not from a dealer.
I had a 250SX hand delivered by Jeff in early 97,

It was basically an 96 ex race bike, refurbished with near new parts,with modified 50 mm forks, stock Ohlins and a ported SX cylinder / head combo,

With the new graphic and plastics it was better than new.

It was such a good bike for me being a slower rider, all low and mid, fastest bike in my moto's.

Great Value for money.

Post a reply to: Opinions - Buying an ex race bike

The Latest