Opinion: rewrite your thinking on performance parts

Edited Date/Time 6/15/2019 8:51pm
I've realigned with Swap Moto again this year to host more opinions and travel pieces.

First one of the season is my take on hiring a riding instructor being more important than a new lit sticker kit or a powerflow radiator shroud set.

Read it here: click this link here and then come back and discuss.

Also- thanks Steve for allowing outbound links.
|
CivBars
6/11/2019 7:23am
I've realigned with Swap Moto again this year to host more opinions and travel pieces. First one of the season is my take on hiring a...
I've realigned with Swap Moto again this year to host more opinions and travel pieces.

First one of the season is my take on hiring a riding instructor being more important than a new lit sticker kit or a powerflow radiator shroud set.

Read it here: click this link here and then come back and discuss.

Also- thanks Steve for allowing outbound links.
'Gas once' - Probably the hardest technique to be self aware of/ self corrected. Good read!
Spooner
6/11/2019 7:45am
Great read, Jeff. I can totally relate to this from my roadracing background. I had raced for years and won expert championships and done a ton of coaching before I actually took a school. Like you it was painful to do the 'no brakes' drill the first session and other more basic lessons but I took it seriously and learned a ton. It didn't take me long to realize that while I had figured out a lot of things on my own, if I would have taken a school much earlier in my 'career' I would have progressed MUCH faster by being coached.

...off to find a good off-road coach now
danman
6/11/2019 7:52am
Hard to discuss the truth, but there are areas that are gray.
Suspension - obviously, this will help you go fast, even with bad technique.
remapped ignition - you may be able to take a heavy hitting map and turn it into a smoother map to help you be smoother throughout the track. The opposite could be true as well.
exhaust - similar to above. I've had two bikes with stock exhaust that I may have sold if I didn't try an exhaust first.
duckdog77
6/11/2019 9:03am
Although I’ve never taken any classes I would love to! As a kid I always wanted “fly” gear, graphics, go fast goodies and didn’t understand why my dad said I didn’t need it. Now getting back into racing and on my own dime i bought an 11’ Kx250f for $1500. I have no graphics and bought as cheap of gear as I could.(minus helmet and boots as those are safety concerns)

I’ve spent my money on tires, suspension, and a proper handle bar set up.

I keep the bike running good and maintained. My focus is on my riding, not how my bike looks or how “fast” it is.

My $1500 bike and cheap gear has me going faster than I ever have!

The Shop

50dippin
6/11/2019 9:10am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 9:15am
You sir are the douchebag. Thinking like this is just total jealousy or ignorance. So what if some guy who works hard for his money enjoys moto and building bikes. What is the difference between building a badass bike vs a car. Most people who modify cars will never go to the track. But it's fun to build and fun to ride/drive. A lot of people have to go to work the next day, and if they want to spend their money supporting the companies that run the sport, good for them.

That's where this article bugs me, most people don't race, they are just out their for fun and they will likely never hire a riding coach because they just don't care enough. Let them buy all the stuff they want, support the industry where they want.
swtwtwtw
6/11/2019 10:05am
1979 Suzuki School of Motocross, Carlsbad CA. STILL use what I learned.
rob162
6/11/2019 10:27am
50dippin wrote:
You sir are the douchebag. Thinking like this is just total jealousy or ignorance. So what if some guy who works hard for his money enjoys...
You sir are the douchebag. Thinking like this is just total jealousy or ignorance. So what if some guy who works hard for his money enjoys moto and building bikes. What is the difference between building a badass bike vs a car. Most people who modify cars will never go to the track. But it's fun to build and fun to ride/drive. A lot of people have to go to work the next day, and if they want to spend their money supporting the companies that run the sport, good for them.

That's where this article bugs me, most people don't race, they are just out their for fun and they will likely never hire a riding coach because they just don't care enough. Let them buy all the stuff they want, support the industry where they want.
I'm still gonna have to disagree. With bikes weather it's a practice day rider, a racer or vet weekend warrior this would help keep alot of people safer and more in control. It would also help people for when fast riders are charging by from either getting in the way or getting a brain fade and causing a crash. Just my opinion. I agree it's people's money andcthey van do what they want but this is still a great idea. I do have to say i love blasting past people that have national level nodded bikes on a old 125 with suspension done. Makes me feel great.
Markopolo400
6/11/2019 11:25am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 11:25am
My goal has always been to show up at the track when I'm 65, still riding. And riding a bike that has every part on it that I want regardless of how expensive it is, because I made good financial decisions and life choices that allow it.

If someday I am old and slow and I want A-kit suspension cause it looks badass and I have spare cash to buy it, why not.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
6/11/2019 11:31am
Best bang for the buck by far is having someone video you while riding, and honestly critiquing your own riding afterward. The old 'The Mental Edge' video and workbook on this from Race Tech's Paul Thede were great tools for this.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
6/11/2019 11:43am
You should go over and thank that guy who's paying retail for unneeded parts and keeping an industry and sport alive.
CivBars
6/11/2019 11:54am
Subaru's are all wheel drive and that wing is for side force
yzfjere
6/11/2019 1:00pm
Russ Darnell school in the 70s. Two Donnie Hansen schools as I restarted after breaks. Priceless!!!
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
6/11/2019 1:23pm
Of course you're not going to say anything to his face, it's much easier to be tough on the internet
scrallex
6/11/2019 1:25pm
ACBraap wrote:
You should go over and thank that guy who's paying retail for unneeded parts and keeping an industry and sport alive.
LMAO If you think that blowing thousands of dollars on useless mods is what is keeping this sport alive. I feel like getting 5 of my closest buddies onto used craigslist bikes and gear has done far more for this sport than Joe fucking Shmo did by sending his 3 brand new bikes to PC to get the works done.
6/11/2019 1:29pm
50dippin wrote:
You sir are the douchebag. Thinking like this is just total jealousy or ignorance. So what if some guy who works hard for his money enjoys...

I understand the bugging. But do you think I made myself clear enough when I said I drool over catalogues? I buy parts I don’t need because they’re cool.

Really it’s just a thought exercise NOT a holy commandment. I always encourage people to take classes. But if you have to decide on an accessory or a riding class- I’d suggest the class every time.
Doddy
6/11/2019 1:30pm
So someone puts effort and pride into a bike and he's a dbag? F off.
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
6/11/2019 1:57pm
The concept of formal instruction and its value for new or experienced riders was well presented in that piece. Short and sweet.
Being a formal instructor in another industry on the Range training side getting clients to embrace the value over all else is the real challenge.
I have tried a variety of methods to get firearm owners to get out and receive formal instruction.
After all the price for a negligent discharge can be death or severe bodily injury.
Fortunately not enough persons shoot themselves to really see much value in avoiding this.
A quick example of the struggles in being involved in the training side would be just how many persons have firearms and have never taken formal instruction to include out on a square range shooting. I suggest maybe 1-100. That sampling may actually be too small of 100.
I’ll be very interested in other means to get persons interested in formal instruction outside what I have tried... Low cost, weekly emails to demonstrate importance and advantages to instruction, promoting on forums, promoting in firearm stores and word of mouth.

At least it’s being discussed. There should either be a sub forum dedicated to training or at least a sticky.
This way members here could have a resource to which States offer rider instruction and along with outfits dedicated to it.
Most gun enthusiast forums already have this.
moto0852
6/11/2019 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 3:25pm
swtwtwtw wrote:
1979 Suzuki School of Motocross, Carlsbad CA. STILL use what I learned.
1981 brother! Wayne Boyer and Bob Elliot (RIP) I was given a pair of Carerra goggles the last day as my award for being most improved! I'm more proud of those goggles than any trophy I've ever won.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
6/11/2019 3:46pm
Very nice article. Yes, I buy performance parts because they're cool and I like them, and I'm still slow. I'm creeping up to 50 and am ok with being slow, but being a bit faster while being more confident and in control would be nice. Plus, there are a few other old guys that are a bit faster than me that it would be fun to beat!

I took some cars around a track last time I was in Vegas (A Mercedes SLS AMG and a Porsche 911) with an instructor sitting in the passenger seat.. I did my best to listen to all he told me to do, and he said that my speed around the track increased by about 15 mph on average in just a few laps. That was possibly the most fun I've ever had, and having a pro there to show me how to do it right was great. Having a pro show me how to ride my bike right might be just the ticket!
Alex.434
6/11/2019 3:54pm
I remember being the young guy on the clapped out bike with mismatched gear. Now I look the full part of the Vet Track Hero.

Laugh all you want dude, doesn't affect my day at all, and yeah, I've been there.
moto0852
6/11/2019 4:10pm
It's an interesting juxtaposition. Enhanced performance parts (and money) vs. just being "better" on the bike.

I love performance. I love bling. I want the best equipment. I'm also 53 and a fast C rider. I had a 2008 KTM 250XC and upgraded it to a brand new (at the time) 2017 KTM 300XC (Net cost of almost 6k for the swap and "upgrade").

Is the new bike better? Faster? Lighter? ABSOFREAKINGLOUTLY! Are my lap times any better?... no.

I'm generally an offroad guy (and a 2T fanboy at heart) but my buddy and I did an MX race recently and as we pulled into the pits after practice we both (simultaneously) complained about how on our two strokes we didn't have the torque to get over the two doubles on the track.

Just as we had convinced ourselves that we needed to dump our 2017 two stokes and go get a 2020 KTM 350F , the 85cc A practice started.

Every one of those little buggers cleared those two triples!!! Yeah, I love the bling but I just did a training class a few weeks ago with Justin Buckelew at the WORCS race in Mesquite.

All I can say is, for the cost of a new set of tires, it was well worth it.
TeamGreen
6/11/2019 5:52pm
Soooo many funny posts.
Soooo many butt-hurt angry folks.
Spooner
6/11/2019 6:05pm
Alex.434 wrote:
I remember being the young guy on the clapped out bike with mismatched gear. Now I look the full part of the Vet Track Hero. Laugh...
I remember being the young guy on the clapped out bike with mismatched gear. Now I look the full part of the Vet Track Hero.

Laugh all you want dude, doesn't affect my day at all, and yeah, I've been there.
This was totally me too. I literally never bought a new tire and did the bare minimum to keep my bike running in high school. All my gear was used crap from my buddies. I’m definitely making up for lost time now haha!
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
6/11/2019 7:32pm
I take lessons often just because I want to ride safer, I only do a 1 race a year. There is a lot to be said on griping your bike correctly and having the correct body position.

Generally speaking the bikes I see that have more hop up parts (or bling-ed out) are typically the slower riders.
delonick347
6/11/2019 8:38pm
I’ve been on both sides of the fence as well and I assume the majority of the dudes defending the blinged out bikes are in a similar demographic as I am:

As a teenager into my mid twenties, I was a fast local kid that really didn’t give two shits about trick bikes, mainly because I didn’t have knowledge of what all was out there for parts, money or inclination to indulge. I took a Donnie Hansen school when I was 15 and all I cared about was going fast and having good form. My definition of a modded bike back then was a pipe\silencer, ported cylinder and bars.

Now that I’m older, I have an established career and a little money and dressing up my bikes is something that I enjoy and more importantly, am financially capable of doing.

TL;DR: if it has to be one or the other, go for the coaching. If you’re financially capable, buy all the bells and whistles, and maybe consider some coaching, if you’re into that kind of thing. Or don’t.
captmoto
6/11/2019 10:50pm
I've never owned a bike with a modded motor. I rarely even went for a pipe unless it was unanimous that a pipe was a valid upgrade. I always do suspension because I am an XXL guy on a good day. My 17 FC450 has a pipe and mapping. I almost pulled the trigger on CV forks but realize I need to spend that money gas and probably a school to get better. At 62, I am in a position to do the bling financially but that really isn't my style.
Turbojez
6/12/2019 1:04am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 1:08am
scrallex wrote:
LMAO If you think that blowing thousands of dollars on useless mods is what is keeping this sport alive. I feel like getting 5 of my...
LMAO If you think that blowing thousands of dollars on useless mods is what is keeping this sport alive. I feel like getting 5 of my closest buddies onto used craigslist bikes and gear has done far more for this sport than Joe fucking Shmo did by sending his 3 brand new bikes to PC to get the works done.
You and your buddies buying used bikes did absolutely nothing as far as keeping the sport alive goes.
How would it?
On the other hand, sending three bikes to PC to have them built puts food on the table for everyone involved in Pro Circuit (as company and race team). You know, those guys that you watch on TV every weekend...

I don't have a shitload of money, nor am I a pro speed rider (or even remotely close), but I always enjoyed having the bikes well taken care of, with some nice parts on them, and it always felt awesome to drop the coin on my bikes. I don't care if it's worth 2 seconds a lap, or not. I just like having nice stuff.
Not too serious about racing either, I race/ride and build my bikes for fun, sounds like you should try too Wink

If I was more serious about racing, I'd definitely take lessons more often though. Taking lessons is very time consuming, but you can pimp out your ride in the middle of the night Grinning
6/12/2019 7:18am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 7:19am
I'm 57, have been riding since I was 12. I'm not a natural athlete and have developed a LOT of bad habits over the years, mostly from riding XR's in the woods and many from not wanting to blow up parts (clutches, tires, etc) because I was poor.

Just got back from a 3-day MX riding school where this old dog is FINALLY learning to ride ruts a little better. By mid-Day 2, I was so much better that the instructor pulled me off and said "That was beautiful!!! Dude!!!" Photo is from Day 1. Smile

I still don't spend much $$$ on bling, though. I'm concerned about mechanical reliability and function over anything else.

CivBars
6/12/2019 9:02am
Also worth noting: Bike maintenance! I knew someone who was dead set on getting an oversized front brake rotor kit because they rode a brand new KTM and they thought that the stopping power was so amazing compared to their 2 year old bike. While I agree that the KTM with Brembo's is better, they never bled the brakes or changed the pads on their bike! Doing that won't make it equal to the KTM but it's a good start to achieve the feel they're looking for. It's a lot more cost effective too and I don't see them using the Brembo brakes to their full potential anyway. I bring this up because there was a color coordinated aftermarket front brake reservoir cap on their bike and when we were talking about it I asked them when they put the cap on and what brand of brake fluid they used to bleed the brakes and maybe that the reason the front brake felt weak was because it had air in it and the answer was 'Maybe 6 months ago and there probably isn't any air in the line because I just topped it off with whatever Circle K had.' I'm sure that if they were to bring up their concerns to an instructor while taking a class, they would've gained a wealth of knowledge both in riding technique and what to do with their bike. Whether they were capable of doing the work themselves or not I'm sure the instructor could let them know what to do or guide them to a reputable mechanic that would take care of the issue. Then once they had the front brake up to par they'd be able to apply whatever they learned from the class and bingo bango... An oversized front brake rotor kit isn't as important. Although they do serve a purpose, I'm just not sure that it would've made as much of a difference for this guy if he would've started from square one and worked on fundamentals with a good teacher.

Post a reply to: Opinion: rewrite your thinking on performance parts

The Latest