This is a stupid idea on many levels.
Please explain...
Motoxdoc
4/18/2020 9:19am
Motoxdoc wrote:
This is a stupid idea on many levels.
brocster wrote:
Please explain...
There's a pandemic virus spreading across the world killing people at an alarming rate. There are specific orders given by the government to limit the deaths from this virus that are contradictory to what this thread is trying to do. Why does it not surprise me that I was asked to explain this to a Vital member?
Motoxdoc
4/18/2020 9:23am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2020 9:24am
How do you responsibly open up a facility to a demographic that is by nature irresponsible?
Zerofear66
4/18/2020 9:35am
Motoxdoc wrote:
How do you responsibly open up a facility to a demographic that is by nature irresponsible?
That's a pretty broad stroke.
A broad, ignorant one at best.
I'm fairly certain most folks on here are far from irresponsible.
brocster
4/18/2020 9:47am
Motoxdoc wrote:
That is your opinion and that’s fine. There are lots of things we do on the daily as human beings that can be considered irresponsible but it’s ok to still do those...

I respect your opinion as a doctor but I am also at a wits end of which Dr. to believe as each has his own data and broadcasts it based on his or her own personal fears.

Not sure most people relate to the term flatten the curve. It doesn’t mean that if we social distance it goes away. We are all going to get it or have had it, the idea of social distancing is to assure it’s not all at once. In a broader sense of project planning it’s called “load leveling”. So at what point would you consider through this pandemic it is ok to be irresponsible?

One last thing, I don’t think we are in the demographic that this disease targets, sure there are a few, but not the majority
kkawboy14
4/18/2020 10:05am
If you get hurt they might have to open one of the hospitals that they closed because they didn’t get enough covid patients and can’t perform any elective surgery’s
gjbruny
4/18/2020 10:11am
kkawboy14 wrote:
If you get hurt they might have to open one of the hospitals that they closed because they didn’t get enough covid patients and can’t perform...
If you get hurt they might have to open one of the hospitals that they closed because they didn’t get enough covid patients and can’t perform any elective surgery’s
That has actually happened here. My sister inlaw is a nurse that lost her job wednesday due to no work. I have 2 friends that are docs. One is an ER doc at one of our biggest hospitals. He said they are literally twiddling their thumbs (great news as far as covid goes). The other is an ortho surgeon.... out of work due to covid lockdown.
Spudnut
4/18/2020 11:10am
Orthopedic surgeon-not essential
Pot and liquor sales cashier- essential

K
captmoto
4/18/2020 11:10am
brocster wrote:
That is your opinion and that’s fine. There are lots of things we do on the daily as human beings that can be considered irresponsible but...
That is your opinion and that’s fine. There are lots of things we do on the daily as human beings that can be considered irresponsible but it’s ok to still do those...

I respect your opinion as a doctor but I am also at a wits end of which Dr. to believe as each has his own data and broadcasts it based on his or her own personal fears.

Not sure most people relate to the term flatten the curve. It doesn’t mean that if we social distance it goes away. We are all going to get it or have had it, the idea of social distancing is to assure it’s not all at once. In a broader sense of project planning it’s called “load leveling”. So at what point would you consider through this pandemic it is ok to be irresponsible?

One last thing, I don’t think we are in the demographic that this disease targets, sure there are a few, but not the majority
I tend to agree as far as most regular riders having a better state of physical fitness which has an effect on the immune system. I don't see why tracks can't be open with some precautions. Spacing, number of riders, maybe masks when off the bike. I don't think the threat of exposure is as great if you have to take an ambulance trip to an ER anymore. Talking to friends and family in the medical biz, incoming patients are screened and the ERs are mostly segregated from the rest of the hospitals. I saw a thread on another message board where a guy had a nasty but superficial chainsaw accident. He said he was in and out of the ER in 90 minutes and the ER was a ghost town.
A friend of mine's father fell and broke his hip a couple days ago.He got a replacement the next day. While I think this stuff is a real threat, hospitals and the medical field are figuring this stuff out. While I hope the tracks open tomorrow, I will decide for myself when I feel comfortable riding again.
FWIW, my local shooting range has stayed open to full members and is opening to limited members tomorrow. They have only asked that members wear masks.
Motoxdoc
4/18/2020 11:56am
Zerofear66 wrote:
Yes, that was a broad stroke...that comes more from 45 years of experience than “ignorance”. I am one of those “far from irresponsible folks” you refer to.
JM485
4/18/2020 12:19pm
We're an order of magnitude under their best case estimates here in CA and this is absolutely not killing people at "an alarming rate". We can argue all day about what should be considered "alarming", but the bottom line is the vast majority of hospitals are ghost towns right now and this has not at all developed into what was initially feared. Eventually this is going to have to run its course and a relaxing of restrictions is the only thing that makes sense to do at this point, and if the powers that be just keep tightening the screw then their true colors are going to show pretty quickly. I understand the overreaction based on the flawed spread models that first came out, but after a period of time real life data is going to need to guide us in the proper direction, not just experimental theory. We've proven that the measures we've taken have been overly effective, it's time to strike a balance reopening outdoor recreation areas should be step #1.
ATKpilot99
4/18/2020 12:19pm
Does anyone think a petition will matter regardless of how many sign it ?
Zerofear66
4/18/2020 12:25pm
"their true colors are going to show pretty quickly"

This has already shown to be grotesquely true.
Zachintosh
4/18/2020 12:30pm
JM485 wrote:
We're an order of magnitude under their best case estimates here in CA and this is absolutely not killing people at "an alarming rate". We can...
We're an order of magnitude under their best case estimates here in CA and this is absolutely not killing people at "an alarming rate". We can argue all day about what should be considered "alarming", but the bottom line is the vast majority of hospitals are ghost towns right now and this has not at all developed into what was initially feared. Eventually this is going to have to run its course and a relaxing of restrictions is the only thing that makes sense to do at this point, and if the powers that be just keep tightening the screw then their true colors are going to show pretty quickly. I understand the overreaction based on the flawed spread models that first came out, but after a period of time real life data is going to need to guide us in the proper direction, not just experimental theory. We've proven that the measures we've taken have been overly effective, it's time to strike a balance reopening outdoor recreation areas should be step #1.
Hmm...

Maybe it’s not killing people “at an alarming rate” because there are strict measures in place to help ensure people aren’t being killed at an alarming rate?
brocster
4/18/2020 12:30pm
Zerofear66 wrote:
Motoxdoc wrote:
Yes, that was a broad stroke...that comes more from 45 years of experience than “ignorance”. I [i]am[/i] one of those “far from irresponsible folks” you refer...
Yes, that was a broad stroke...that comes more from 45 years of experience than “ignorance”. I am one of those “far from irresponsible folks” you refer to.
FWIW. Just because one has experience doesn’t make them less ignorant

Zerofear66
4/18/2020 12:39pm
Zerofear66 wrote:
Motoxdoc wrote:
Yes, that was a broad stroke...that comes more from 45 years of experience than “ignorance”. I [i]am[/i] one of those “far from irresponsible folks” you refer...
brocster wrote:
FWIW. Just because one has experience doesn’t make them less ignorant

This is true. I have 26 years of Emergency room experience. I defer to Infectious disease MD's and PhD's in the field. Hence my post of the video that people should watch if they want to be educated about this Covid clown show.
As opposed to making media driven assumptions.
JMHO.

hubbardmx50
4/18/2020 1:02pm
Ah, another “you’re an idiot for riding” “you’re an idiot for believing the news” thread. 10 pager. How many deaths in CA from the virus currently? 900 out of 40 million people? Not here to argue just generally curious.
4/18/2020 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2020 1:16pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
If you get hurt they might have to open one of the hospitals that they closed because they didn’t get enough covid patients and can’t perform...
gjbruny wrote:
That has actually happened here. My sister inlaw is a nurse that lost her job wednesday due to no work. I have 2 friends that are...
That has actually happened here. My sister inlaw is a nurse that lost her job wednesday due to no work. I have 2 friends that are docs. One is an ER doc at one of our biggest hospitals. He said they are literally twiddling their thumbs (great news as far as covid goes). The other is an ortho surgeon.... out of work due to covid lockdown.
The layoffs and furloughs are happening because our for profit healthcare system can't stand to lose money. Healthcare in the US is a business first and a service second. Once the funds dry up the business does what it can to keep profiting and a huge expense is employee salaries.
crowe176
4/18/2020 1:29pm
Has one of these "internet petitions" ever actually worked?
FWYT
4/18/2020 1:40pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Does anyone think a petition will matter regardless of how many sign it ?
Nope.
JM485
4/18/2020 2:17pm
JM485 wrote:
We're an order of magnitude under their best case estimates here in CA and this is absolutely not killing people at "an alarming rate". We can...
Zachintosh wrote:
Hmm... Maybe it’s not killing people “at an alarming rate” because there are strict measures in place to help ensure people aren’t being killed at an...
Hmm...

Maybe it’s not killing people “at an alarming rate” because there are strict measures in place to help ensure people aren’t being killed at an alarming rate?
That’s all well and good to assume, and probably correct to some extent, but it’s very clear that we’ve overshot the mark and a balance needs to be struck. Based on the numbers right now, in real life not any of the predictions, there is absolutely no reason that we can’t begin to transition back to normal life with a close eye kept on the burden it places on healthcare workers. I’m not saying we go out and start having a 10k plus gatherings again right away, but FFS we have cities filling their skateparks with sand because they “closed” them due to this bullshit. Even I places like this where no CDC guidelines have to be broken to participate we’re seeing elected officials overstep their bounds and exercise excessive restrictions that don’t correspond with the reality of our current situation.

It’s not even worth arguing over at this point, the numbers and the actions taken recently simply do not add up.

Post a reply to: Open Perris Petition

The Latest