On the razors edge..

Tryhard
Edited Date/Time 8/2/2018 9:35am
I have some questions for some of the guys and or gals on this forums , I have been here for a while and love this message board . While the opinions you might get are mixed on some topics , hey that's life , dont ask a question you don't want the answer to right?

To get this started , ill tell you a little about myself . I am 25 years old , full time worker , part time business owner , husband and father . Pretty busy guy , I still find time to ride often at home I have miles of single track and trails behind my house , although i do perfer motocross , but have had the hardest time , between me working shift work , and being a husband and dad making it to the track , and when I do I am all alone , and i perfer not to do motocross alone . Anyways with that said , i am probably a mid pack C class rider , Been riding for about 12 years total .

Question is , how do i stay off of the razors edge , not get hurt " atleast to bad " anything can happen and dirtbikes are dangerous i know this. But i always find myself pushing the limits , and i have others to think about now . How to i get better , without tipping off the other side of the edge? This questions comes to me , and well to you readers , after i took on a battle with a 6 inch tree out of a sweeper at about 25mph straight to the sternum ... Needless to say im in lots of pain , and at work currently writing this . Time to start thinking with my big head , hopefully i will get some good advice , but all is welcome .

Thanks!

|
tylermx967
7/31/2018 10:16pm
MY DAD GOTS THIS CD AND THE PLAYED A SONG OFF IT AT THE START OF THE RACE DAY ONE TIME AT THE TRACK ARE YOU READY TO GET PEOPLE EXITED FOR THE START OF THE RACE
zehn
7/31/2018 10:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 10:28pm
To be blunt, tone it back
7/31/2018 10:57pm
tylermx967 wrote:
MY DAD GOTS THIS CD AND THE PLAYED A SONG OFF IT AT THE START OF THE RACE DAY ONE TIME AT THE TRACK ARE YOU...
MY DAD GOTS THIS CD AND THE PLAYED A SONG OFF IT AT THE START OF THE RACE DAY ONE TIME AT THE TRACK ARE YOU READY TO GET PEOPLE EXITED FOR THE START OF THE RACE
Hope this helps
Tryhard
7/31/2018 11:11pm
tylermx967 wrote:
MY DAD GOTS THIS CD AND THE PLAYED A SONG OFF IT AT THE START OF THE RACE DAY ONE TIME AT THE TRACK ARE YOU...
Hope this helps
Yeah was not sure how to respond to that , other then thanks! I suppose lol .

The Shop

Tryhard
7/31/2018 11:17pm
zehn wrote:
Yeah well , easier said then done for me . I know it must be a mental game or what , I guess it takes part in not having any likewise individuals to ride with . Maybe just maybe if i did , i could pick up some knowledge or wisdom from them . I just feel like its a light switch , when i get on get warmed up and get loose i just go for it i guess...
rehan53
7/31/2018 11:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 11:25pm
Do you guys ever read a thread and wonder if all the other people in it are fake accounts owned by one person having a conversation and then you start to respond but don’t know why, since you think it’s all one person, and then you start to wonder if you’re actually that person and you start to wonder if anything is real or if you’ve gone crazy?
Tryhard
7/31/2018 11:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 11:34pm
rehan53 wrote:
Do you guys ever read a thread and wonder if all the other people in it are fake accounts owned by one person having a conversation...
Do you guys ever read a thread and wonder if all the other people in it are fake accounts owned by one person having a conversation and then you start to respond but don’t know why, since you think it’s all one person, and then you start to wonder if you’re actually that person and you start to wonder if anything is real or if you’ve gone crazy?
um... okay then , to be frank . I'm not sure why anyone would make a fake account for some MX message boards , or why you even felt the need to post something like this . Thats is probably one of the most awkwardly written comments i have ever read , i remember distinctly one time having a battle with someone on this forum because i asked a question and accused me of trying to market something , which i clearly am not .If that is indeed the direction you were taking the comment . My concern is great , and my question was in fact real . Thanks for your 2 cents I suppose .
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/31/2018 11:33pm
zehn wrote:
I agree with zehn. If you're not racing competitively and just riding casually why push the limits?

Ride within your limits. You'll have just as much fun.

That and listen to your gut feeling. If you're not feeling it on a certain day, pack your stuff an go home. Better safe than sorry.
kkawboy14
8/1/2018 12:00am
Take riding lessons. Learning how to ride properly is the key to staying off the ground.
Tryhard
8/1/2018 12:08am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Take riding lessons. Learning how to ride properly is the key to staying off the ground.
While i agree that i would greatly improve my skills in many ways with riding lessons, they just arent in my time / money budget , they are so astro expensive here in virginia , due to the limit of facilities being only 1 that i know of that offers anything . But i still do not believe that will keep me off the ground , and my point is not to stay off the ground . Maybe just learn how to have the mentality to know when enough is enough ...
TDeath21
8/1/2018 12:18am
Focus on corners. Improve your game there. Nothing scarier than sketchy riders who can’t corner at all but go WFO on straight aways and jumps.
Tryhard
8/1/2018 12:36am
TDeath21 wrote:
Focus on corners. Improve your game there. Nothing scarier than sketchy riders who can’t corner at all but go WFO on straight aways and jumps.
Ive actually thought about renting a large size skid steer and clearing and making a turn track with about 4 turns in it ... I honestly think it would help me so much . Any idiot can go fast and jump , corners are getting hard to get out of now that i am getting older and my fitness is lacking , and thats how i ended up into the tree came out of the sweeper with big gravel and hard pack grabbing wayyyyy to much thorttle .
shuggs
8/1/2018 1:45am
Tryhard wrote:
Ive actually thought about renting a large size skid steer and clearing and making a turn track with about 4 turns in it ... I honestly...
Ive actually thought about renting a large size skid steer and clearing and making a turn track with about 4 turns in it ... I honestly think it would help me so much . Any idiot can go fast and jump , corners are getting hard to get out of now that i am getting older and my fitness is lacking , and thats how i ended up into the tree came out of the sweeper with big gravel and hard pack grabbing wayyyyy to much thorttle .
Youve got major problems if you think you are getting old and unfit at 25!!! WTF really!!!! theres a few of us on here more than double your age
Bearuno
8/1/2018 1:52am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2018 1:53am
As the OP said -"Time to start thinking with the Big Head". Well, yes.

You're 25 - your male brain has finally matured / synapsis are finally all connected.

So, there' no excuse to not think about what's really important, now. Is it "pushing" your limits, or your overall life and responsibilities you have? It should be an easy thing to work out.

But, the key thing is : Shit Happens.

And not just while riding a bike.

You could trip over crossing the road and go face first into a gutter edge, and cark it, as just one example, among millions.

A 'bubble wrap / cotton wool' life can kill / maim you, too.
chump6784
8/1/2018 2:45am
I understand where you are coming from. I'm 34, own and operate my own business and have a wife and 2 kids but I can't help pushing my limits. I find if I'm not pushing myself then I don't enjoy riding as much.

The key is to know your limits. I know when I'm pushing too hard and about to take a digger, it might just be one section or a certain jump but if I feel sketchy I back it down a notch.

If you can't afford coaching maybe get some instructional dvd's from gary semics or something. These will help with technique that you can practice at the track
kb228
8/1/2018 2:57am
Find a C track to ride on.
Tryhard
8/1/2018 3:27am Edited Date/Time 8/1/2018 3:28am
chump6784 wrote:
I understand where you are coming from. I'm 34, own and operate my own business and have a wife and 2 kids but I can't help...
I understand where you are coming from. I'm 34, own and operate my own business and have a wife and 2 kids but I can't help pushing my limits. I find if I'm not pushing myself then I don't enjoy riding as much.

The key is to know your limits. I know when I'm pushing too hard and about to take a digger, it might just be one section or a certain jump but if I feel sketchy I back it down a notch.

If you can't afford coaching maybe get some instructional dvd's from gary semics or something. These will help with technique that you can practice at the track
Totally understand what your saying , as i might have mis guided my statement . Yes i am in decent physical shape , but no I do not work out nor am i on any exercise routine , so no i am not as physically fit as i used to be . I also work rotating shift , and work a small business that i own , so my sleeping habits and eating habits are far from what they once were , I feel older then i once did , which is normal because i am . That's all i was trying to say .
kkawboy14
8/1/2018 5:39am
kb228 wrote:
He may not get what your saying but your right!
Donovan759
8/1/2018 6:03am
kb228 wrote:
Best thing you can do.

2nd best thing you can do. Talk to Brandon. Brandon is really good at going WFO on the C track.
TXDirt
8/1/2018 6:42am
You hit a tree. Any other evidence you need to show you to stop riding over your head? No? Good.
scooter5002
8/1/2018 7:22am
You’re 25, and a mid C class rider. So, unlikely you’re ever going to advance to A, at this age, your speed is somewhat established. That being the case, stop riding like you’re trying to make it up 2 classes. Go out and practice technique, and proper form. The speed will come with it, and you’ll find yourself on the track more, instead of the couch, recuperating.
BR8ES
8/1/2018 7:27am
know your limits or suffer the consequence or live in the past and stop riding...Many people ride and race that have as many responsibilites. Doesn't matter what you "can" do, what matters is the "should" in the grand scheme of things here, I think age has something to do with it too.
motogrady
8/1/2018 7:32am
Tryhard wrote:
I have some questions for some of the guys and or gals on this forums , I have been here for a while and love this...
I have some questions for some of the guys and or gals on this forums , I have been here for a while and love this message board . While the opinions you might get are mixed on some topics , hey that's life , dont ask a question you don't want the answer to right?

To get this started , ill tell you a little about myself . I am 25 years old , full time worker , part time business owner , husband and father . Pretty busy guy , I still find time to ride often at home I have miles of single track and trails behind my house , although i do perfer motocross , but have had the hardest time , between me working shift work , and being a husband and dad making it to the track , and when I do I am all alone , and i perfer not to do motocross alone . Anyways with that said , i am probably a mid pack C class rider , Been riding for about 12 years total .

Question is , how do i stay off of the razors edge , not get hurt " atleast to bad " anything can happen and dirtbikes are dangerous i know this. But i always find myself pushing the limits , and i have others to think about now . How to i get better , without tipping off the other side of the edge? This questions comes to me , and well to you readers , after i took on a battle with a 6 inch tree out of a sweeper at about 25mph straight to the sternum ... Needless to say im in lots of pain , and at work currently writing this . Time to start thinking with my big head , hopefully i will get some good advice , but all is welcome .

Thanks!

Buy all the health, injury, and loss of wages insurance you can.
Maybe double up on the life also.
8/2/2018 12:15am
I really agree with the OP.

Same thing exactly not old but 30 and with the family. I used to ride like a savage like out of control pushing the limits try anything. Now i find myself with a bit of fear even. I have a very busy career and cant afford to miss work. I have a 8 year old that needs me to be able to do stuff with her not be layed up with a injury. Im just getting back into the sport after almost a ten year lay off filled with nothing but bullshit. Drinking, drugs, trouble with the law. Been off all that for 5 years and just so dam happy to be back on a bike and feeling positive again.

I guess what im saying is you sound like ur quite the rider already, look at it this way you would whoop my ass and most people practicing at a local track.

keep giving her just keep in mind your priorites. I like what Mav said. Ride hard but if your not feeling it go home.

Im in the exact same predicament and its differnt when you have a family and you cant be pouring huge money into the bikes. I go to the track alone to and its kinda lame when u dont have anybody but ya were just so lucky to be riding!
swtwtwtw
8/2/2018 2:54am
Race. That is how one gets quicker. On practice days, spend time practicing fundamentals, then moto for fun. It is my opinion that tha safest situation to push any limit is in a race.
Fourth_Floor
8/2/2018 6:04am
I completely get it. I'm 33, married, 3 kids under the age of 8, own and operate a tattoo studio and own commercial property that I rent out to other businesses. I physically can't do my job if I'm injured and if that tattoo machine isn't running I'm not getting paid.

We are currently in the process of buying a house that has enough land for a little practice track and the Alta is looking pretty damn good right now since there are neighbors close by. The cons of getting back into riding while having huge amounts of responsibility, to the rational thinker, far outweigh the pro's but to someone that lived and breathed the sport for most of their life, there is no better feeling after a good day of riding. No drug, drink or piece of ass can come close to that.

Life is way too short to walk on egg shells. As mentioned, I'm 33 years old and if I could download my life experiences/memories thus far that I can clearly think back on and really stand out to me that my brain retained out of those 33 years, it would probably only be 6 months to a years worth if I'm lucky. Life becomes such a routine, mundane grind of doing the same shit day in and day out that your brain doesn't retain much of it which is why a lot of us don't remember what we did last Tuesday. Some of the best memories I have involve riding dirt bikes.

It's a weird stage of life to be in man, you got real world responsibilities that are relatively new but still have that adolescent part in there that thinks "just hit it 3rd gear pinned, I should make it".

Maybe some older guys can chime in on this but the best I can come up with is use your 20's to find your mate, start your family and career. Use your 30's to grind it out. Kick ass at your job, raise your kids, buy that nice house with 5 acres of land, etc. In your 40's, your well established now (hopefully not divorced) kids are older and more independent so pay shit off. 50's seem like fun age if you kept yourself healthy and in shape somewhat because I see those dudes buying new bikes, racing every weekend, living the dream haha.

That's in a perfect world though, there's a 75% chance (or whatever the divorce rate is up to now) that you could wake up one day being 40 years old, divorced, penniless because your ex and her new man she's been cheating on you with got the house and rapes you for child support and you wish you would've just rode that fucking dirt bike while life was good because now you gotta start all over again. There's no correct answer and you can't plan for shit in life as it usually ends up giving you the opposite anyways.

To sum this novel up, ride it like you stole it.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/2/2018 7:22am
In addition to what others have said for backing things down and working on technique, Ill add that you should invest in the best safety riding gear you can afford: knee braces, chest protector (not roost guard), neck brace, HELMET, boots, etc. you do get what you pay for. Ya it may not look as cool, but if it helps keep you safe and working/riding, then it’s worth it. Too many people don’t fully gear up in their youth because of looks.
FWYT
8/2/2018 7:48am
Man, I hear this all the time from my friends that don't ride anymore because they
couldn't tone it down. I'm 54 and still riding. Don't know how to say it any more
clearly- fugging pull your head out of your ass and throttle back. Otherwise
you're going to be like all these others that couldn't learn to ride within their
limits and don't ride anymore. Simple as that.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
8/2/2018 7:52am
Tryhard wrote:
Ive actually thought about renting a large size skid steer and clearing and making a turn track with about 4 turns in it ... I honestly...
shuggs wrote:
Youve got major problems if you think you are getting old and unfit at 25!!! WTF really!!!! theres a few of us on here more than...
Youve got major problems if you think you are getting old and unfit at 25!!! WTF really!!!! theres a few of us on here more than double your age
This! At 25 your at your physical peak. I'm 46 and I can't say I have a lot of sympathy for a 25 year old who thinks that he's getting older and his fitness is lacking. Now that I'm done yelling at you to get off my lawn, I'll try to say something helpful. As others have said, work on your technique and skills. If I'm out practicing, I don't even think about trying to go fast. Instead I focus on improving technique. As my technique improves I find my speed improves without even really trying to go faster. Also, I watch the very best riders and see how smooth and in control they are and try to emulate them. I ride in C class most of the time and there are a lot of guys who ride faster than I do, but I often finish ahead of them because they're crashing and I'm not.

Post a reply to: On the razors edge..

The Latest