Omg what happened to High Point??? Everything is now gone. HELMET CAM

greenmx5
4/18/2017 5:33am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2017 5:34am
Jarrod458 wrote:
I'm having a really hard time dealing with the fact that EVERY LEGENDARY obstacle at High Point is gone! I have memories of Bradshaw Blvd GONE...
I'm having a really hard time dealing with the fact that EVERY LEGENDARY obstacle at High Point is gone! I have memories of Bradshaw Blvd GONE. That one hit me hard a few years ago, when they wiped that out, I have memories of Jeff Stanton hitting the uphill triple next to the start, NOW GONE! Brock Sellards and Ricky Carmichael being the first riders on 80's to hit that uphill triple. The long sweeping start I watched Kevin Windham pull his holeshot in 1994 on a Team Green kx 125 GONE!!! Why they chose to take these iconic sections away is hard to understand. I don't get it.
Who gives a shit? Be glad they are still racing there. Been to Steel City lately?
I've always loved this mentality. Settling for worse and saying "just be glad you have this."

Bro your car blew up? Gonna cost a couple grand? Bro be glad you have a car. Amish bros only got a horse and buggy.
4/18/2017 7:19am
Did I miss something or is it not that different compared to last years overhaul?
Crush
4/18/2017 7:27pm
DC wrote:
No off-cambers? Maybe it's just the overhead that makes it look like that?

DC
Racer X
Maybe it is DC, the onboards do flatten things out... but we've seen go-pros from there before...

Not telling you your business but it seems more and more the AMA tracks are melding to one... the old layout was nothing like any other AMA track and was so good to watch for it... There is nothing wrong with them having their own flavour, track prep and surfaces. And does every track need a 400 foot booter?

One of the best things about watching the GPs right now are the tracks are hugely different and we get to see the riders work it out.

Muddy Creek last year was great because it was slick as heck in spots.
JB 19
4/18/2017 8:15pm
MXVet261 wrote:
OMG So I post this: [quote]I find it funny, as always, how so many of the comments on this thread are from people that were not...
OMG So I post this:

I find it funny, as always, how so many of the comments on this thread are from people that were not there and probably live 2000 miles away.

And then someone tops it by posting from 9500+ miles away telling us there were no off cambers! BTW there were several off-cambers, I know because I was actually there racing it on my bike!

Anyone from the Moon or Mars want to chime in next? hahaha

The Shop

Myke
Fantasy
2861st
4/18/2017 9:03pm
MXVet261 wrote:
OMG So I post this: [quote]I find it funny, as always, how so many of the comments on this thread are from people that were not...
OMG So I post this:

I find it funny, as always, how so many of the comments on this thread are from people that were not there and probably live 2000 miles away.

And then someone tops it by posting from 9500+ miles away telling us there were no off cambers! BTW there were several off-cambers, I know because I was actually there racing it on my bike!

Funny!
Crush
4/18/2017 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2017 9:39pm
MXVet261 wrote:
OMG So I post this:

Feel free to point ALL of them out... because it used to be littered with them... and they were severe. it was a defining trait of the track.
srobinson
4/17/2020 7:39pm
DC wrote:
Maybe I can offer some input here... The original High Point design was from September 1976, when Maico factory riders Sylvain Geboers, Hans Maisch and maybe...
Maybe I can offer some input here...

The original High Point design was from September 1976, when Maico factory riders Sylvain Geboers, Hans Maisch and maybe Adolf Weil were there to practice in between Trans-AMA races in the Bel-Ray Maico van. It was too wet to ride the grass track that my dad had laid out for the one and only race there before that visit, but they decided to walk around on their own and laid out a new track with rocks and tree branches to mark where they would put the corners. They designed an almost entirely new track and my dad went with it....

A lot has changed over the years. Maico is gone, the Trans-AMAs are gone, Adolf Weil passed. My dad is gone. Motorcycles have evolved to an incredible level. High Point has undergone many, many changes.This is just the latest. Bradshaw Boulevard changed because guys like Chad Reed were literally pre-jumping the tunnel jumps. The triples behind the starting gate were so easy that Jeremy McGrath jumped them on the first lap of a Kawasaki intro two years ago -- and he had not been on the track since 1998! And Guy B is right, the start was terribly unfair to anyone on the right of the doghouse..

So we gave the old girl a makeover, The jumps were tame this weekend, and we didn't run the whole track. But the feedback we got was almost universally positive, with some really good suggestions to make it even better moving forward,

We're lucky this motocross track is still there after more than 40 years. But if you don't think LaRocco's Leap hasn't changed over the years, I suggest you get measure how much closer they've had to move the fence to the takeoff...
And like SX track architect Rich Winkler once said to us (and I am paraphrasing), People always want us to build Anaheim '86, but if we did, guys would be jump entire LANES of the track -- the bikes are so much better it's ridiculous. That's the challenge.

Please come to the national and see how you like it in person. It might be more exciting that an 85cc rider's GoPro footage.

DC
Racer X
Davey, read your racerx today and remembered this post from couple years ago. I was there the day the Maico guys showed up in 1976. Dave Sr had told us the week before or at practice day they were coming. 4 of us skipped school and showed up. Cold and very windy day. Remember lots of conversation all the way out past the old pit location about the off cambers and a drop off beside a big tree.They were arguing about cutting the tree or wrapping it with car tires.

One of the guys had wife or girlfriend with him she was real happy to be on a muddy cold PA hillside. Back to school the next day, they didn't seem to get the importance of going to see Adolf Weill.
4/17/2020 8:22pm
Red Bud took 4 jumps out from the 96-97 track. After ski jump, Bikes went straight to the next hill with a big step up. Engines sounded great pulling threw the loam . Come down the next hill for a triple. Then hit a bowl berm to a speed double . Land then big double -best jump on the track, a lot of mag. Photos taken there. Then a left turn, 96 Filming with a big camcorder, 1st Lap Emig leading with the pack all over him. Landed in that corner Quick pivot, I thought he was gonna wash the front end out. Blasted a big rock to the left side of my head, my Oakleys went flying. Never found them. I have the vhs tape yet thoSmile
DC
4/18/2020 9:12am
DC wrote:
Maybe I can offer some input here... The original High Point design was from September 1976, when Maico factory riders Sylvain Geboers, Hans Maisch and maybe...

The original High Point design was from September 1976, when Maico factory riders Sylvain Geboers, Hans Maisch and maybe Adolf Weil were there to practice in between Trans-AMA races in the Bel-Ray Maico van. It was too wet to ride the grass track that my dad had laid out for the one and only race there before that visit, but they decided to walk around on their own and laid out a new track with rocks and tree branches to mark where they would put the corners. They designed an almost entirely new track and my dad went with it....

A lot has changed over the years. Maico is gone, the Trans-AMAs are gone, Adolf Weil passed. My dad is gone. Motorcycles have evolved to an incredible level. High Point has undergone many, many changes.This is just the latest. Bradshaw Boulevard changed because guys like Chad Reed were literally pre-jumping the tunnel jumps. The triples behind the starting gate were so easy that Jeremy McGrath jumped them on the first lap of a Kawasaki intro two years ago -- and he had not been on the track since 1998! And Guy B is right, the start was terribly unfair to anyone on the right of the doghouse..

So we gave the old girl a makeover, The jumps were tame this weekend, and we didn't run the whole track. But the feedback we got was almost universally positive, with some really good suggestions to make it even better moving forward,

We're lucky this motocross track is still there after more than 40 years. But if you don't think LaRocco's Leap hasn't changed over the years, I suggest you get measure how much closer they've had to move the fence to the takeoff...
And like SX track architect Rich Winkler once said to us (and I am paraphrasing), People always want us to build Anaheim '86, but if we did, guys would be jump entire LANES of the track -- the bikes are so much better it's ridiculous. That's the challenge.

Please come to the national and see how you like it in person. It might be more exciting that an 85cc rider's GoPro footage.

DC
Racer X
srobinson wrote:
Davey, read your racerx today and remembered this post from couple years ago. I was there the day the Maico guys showed up in 1976. Dave...
Davey, read your racerx today and remembered this post from couple years ago. I was there the day the Maico guys showed up in 1976. Dave Sr had told us the week before or at practice day they were coming. 4 of us skipped school and showed up. Cold and very windy day. Remember lots of conversation all the way out past the old pit location about the off cambers and a drop off beside a big tree.They were arguing about cutting the tree or wrapping it with car tires.

One of the guys had wife or girlfriend with him she was real happy to be on a muddy cold PA hillside. Back to school the next day, they didn't seem to get the importance of going to see Adolf Weill.
Haha that's awesome, I remember that day... And we still have one of the red Maico jackets the team gave my dad!

DC
Racer X
Meister
4/18/2020 9:20am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2020 9:24am
I agree for the most part. Middle part of red bud is weak too.

I will say, that not much can change the knarlyness of the elevation at high point. Only big jump now is the quad and it's easy. Last time I rode it though was 16 and the start was still traditional.

Just realized this post was very old lol.
TeamGreen
4/18/2020 9:24am
Davey, you got any pics of High Point nowadays?
4/18/2020 9:54am
Bummer about the track. I blame 4-strokes! Why can't everything just stay the same....but get better?
4/18/2020 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/18/2020 12:11pm
high point last year was my first outdoors race, Those pictures are absolutely remarkable with how barren is is compared to race day. highlight was me and my buddy cheering on marvin after moto 1 as he was washing his boots lol
Hcallz5
4/18/2020 12:22pm
You should be glad you have a national level track. Utah doesn't really have a decent track we just have little piddly ones that don't get any funding and aren't kept up very well.
TeamGreen
4/18/2020 12:38pm
TeamGreen wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/18/421178/s1200_37939D56_724B_4F9C_98C9_F7233D1E7602.jpg[/img]

Amazing...man, I sooooo want to ride that track!
TeamGreen
4/18/2020 12:40pm
Hcallz5 wrote:
You should be glad you have a national level track. Utah doesn't really have a decent track we just have little piddly ones that don't get...
You should be glad you have a national level track. Utah doesn't really have a decent track we just have little piddly ones that don't get any funding and aren't kept up very well.
Start a club, collective or land-owners group. No, I’m not kidding. You’d be surprised at what you can accomplish as a group.
4/18/2020 1:31pm
TeamGreen wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/04/18/421178/s1200_37939D56_724B_4F9C_98C9_F7233D1E7602.jpg[/img]

how it should look 1st lap of practice on national day!
TDeath21
4/18/2020 1:35pm
They change that track more than any other on the pro circuit. Go watch a race from the mid 00s then a race from last year. It’s nuts. 05-06 there’s a lot of major differences.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
4/18/2020 1:48pm
Jarrod458 wrote:
Hate to bitch after all the hard work they put in but my God. What in the hell happened? Every legendary section is GONE D.C. Please...
Hate to bitch after all the hard work they put in but my God. What in the hell happened? Every legendary section is GONE D.C. Please HELP. https://youtu.be/vkEUCd6hufA
I think DC's family is the one who operates high point? Ya it's kind of a shane all the historical sections are gone. The wall, the start, Bradshaw lane etc.
bierbower105
4/18/2020 2:27pm
agn5009 wrote:
He hit almost everything on the track. And he's on an 85. You want a pro national track easy enough for a 13 year old on...
He hit almost everything on the track. And he's on an 85. You want a pro national track easy enough for a 13 year old on an 85 to do everything?
Ever been to Red Bud? It's all table tops and one triple........

The jumps at high point are plenty big - go jump um all and see.
srobinson
4/18/2020 4:30pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
srobinson wrote:
Davey, read your racerx today and remembered this post from couple years ago. I was there the day the Maico guys showed up in 1976. Dave...

DC wrote:
Haha that's awesome, I remember that day... And we still have one of the red Maico jackets the team gave my dad!

DC
Racer X
Remember your dad, good guy. He could get around the track when he wanted to.

Post a reply to: Omg what happened to High Point??? Everything is now gone. HELMET CAM

The Latest