Older Vet guys...and their 125's.

jeffro503
2/12/2017 7:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 7:48pm
So I have a new Husky TC 250 coming here in a couple weeks. And I'm thinking real seriously about pairing it up with a TC 125 sometime this spring / summer.

Just trying to think...it's mainly for fun , but if I want to race it , is there a class I could run it in? Wondering if the 125 has gotten popular enough out here in the NW , that we have an actual 125 class? I wouldn't mind having to run against the kids either.

So for a vet guy who owns a 125...just thinking where I might fit in on race days. Got this 2 stroke bug and I don't think it'll be going away any time soon.
|
tempura
2/12/2017 7:46pm
Slightly related.. Didn't I read you bought a KX450 several months ago?
You weren't feelin it, as they say?
jeffro503
2/12/2017 7:47pm
I'm not sure Joe. I haven't really paid attention to it to much. I think there is the same classes , as in a 2 stroke class. But if I get to choose which one to race , it would probably be my 250. I do see a lot of 125's out on practice days , I mean quite a few. Wondering if any where around , they have actually made a 125 class again? I'll get killed against all them kids , but would be fun to race against other 125 guys. Vet guys anyways. I'm not talking James Stewart speed here haha. Laughing
moore433
2/12/2017 7:55pm
I use to race my 125 all the time in the vet classes. Pick a outside starting gate. Hold it pinned heading into the first turn til a second or two after the group shuts off for the turn and sweep around the group on the outside... digit many times and almost always got a top 5 start it better. Then ride like crazy and be very proud of how you finished on your bike a quarter the size of theirs.... a 125 in the right hands can be very competitive!!!
2/12/2017 7:56pm
When I was thinking about doing a work contract in Oregon I found a vintage series that had a 125 class. I think it had to be a 1996 or older. Vintage races are great too because the track stays in good shape since there aren't as many bikes.

The Shop

jeffro503
2/12/2017 8:01pm
tempura wrote:
That was just a couple months ago. Had a 12' Kawi 450 and just found that I liked riding my RM 250 more. Then when these new 16' - 17' Kawi 450's came out , they were lighter , more narrow , weren't as hard hitting as my 12' was....thought I'd fall in love with it. I did , in a way....it's the most comfortable 450 I've ever ridden. I just got to the point where I don't want that much power under me any more. I had to give it a shot and at least try it out. Just too much bike for me any more. I like to try and ride aggressive , and on that thing , I was going mach 5 in a heart beat. My ol RM is something I can ride more aggressive , and longer moto's on top of it. I feel like I can ride the 250's....where the 450 , I felt like I was just along for the ride.

I don't know. Maybe it's an age thing , but I want to ride something I can ride aggressive without it having that much power. It's a head case thing too. I'll ride slower on something that's real fast , compared to riding something a little slower , where I think I can push it. The smile on my face at the end of the day is what's more important. The 450's weren't giving it to me.
jeffro503
2/12/2017 8:03pm
moore433 wrote:
I use to race my 125 all the time in the vet classes. Pick a outside starting gate. Hold it pinned heading into the first turn...
I use to race my 125 all the time in the vet classes. Pick a outside starting gate. Hold it pinned heading into the first turn til a second or two after the group shuts off for the turn and sweep around the group on the outside... digit many times and almost always got a top 5 start it better. Then ride like crazy and be very proud of how you finished on your bike a quarter the size of theirs.... a 125 in the right hands can be very competitive!!!
That's awesome....and gives me some hope if I decide to get a 125! Thanks for that!
jeffro503
2/12/2017 8:10pm
You know , I'm sitting here thinking about it , and even if I didn't race the 125 , I think it would be a great training tool to help me out on the 250. Sitting here talking to one of my best buds that owns a KTM 150 , and that's basically what he uses his for. Sure would be cool to throw a leg back over a 125 again. Been a long time.
Moto810
2/12/2017 8:19pm
It would be cool to see tracks run a $20 two stroke class on races days. Lower cost and two strokes only.
2/12/2017 8:19pm
I got my old '99 KTM SX125 racer fired up for the first time in YEARS tonight. As soon as I threw a leg over it to start it, I said to my buddy "Man, forgot how streamline this bike feels compared to the 250F couch I'm used to now!" Can't wait to make her sing!! (I'm 33yrs old by the way.. raced the 125 when I was 18/19 before college and life took over)

busta_FATmoto
Fantasy
2887th
2/12/2017 8:27pm
I got one last year but it is just for fun/training. There aren't any classes I could really race it in. Love having the bike though!!
Tbteam
2/12/2017 8:29pm
Yesterday n Florida was the "Motocross des States". In the 50+ modern class, Keith Olrich (remember him) won on a YZF450

Second place? Eric Yarnell on a YZ125. Nearly 35 guys on the gate, mostly on modern big bores.

125's are the most fun you can have, period.
tempura
2/12/2017 8:32pm
tempura wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
That was just a couple months ago. Had a 12' Kawi 450 and just found that I liked riding my RM 250 more. Then when these...
That was just a couple months ago. Had a 12' Kawi 450 and just found that I liked riding my RM 250 more. Then when these new 16' - 17' Kawi 450's came out , they were lighter , more narrow , weren't as hard hitting as my 12' was....thought I'd fall in love with it. I did , in a way....it's the most comfortable 450 I've ever ridden. I just got to the point where I don't want that much power under me any more. I had to give it a shot and at least try it out. Just too much bike for me any more. I like to try and ride aggressive , and on that thing , I was going mach 5 in a heart beat. My ol RM is something I can ride more aggressive , and longer moto's on top of it. I feel like I can ride the 250's....where the 450 , I felt like I was just along for the ride.

I don't know. Maybe it's an age thing , but I want to ride something I can ride aggressive without it having that much power. It's a head case thing too. I'll ride slower on something that's real fast , compared to riding something a little slower , where I think I can push it. The smile on my face at the end of the day is what's more important. The 450's weren't giving it to me.
I understand completely.
I've kinda done the same.
Gone are the 450 days for me.. Getting too old and prone to injury.
I ride a 250 2stroke and a crf250r at the moment.
The crf250 is so tame, it's unbelievable, but I can throw it about and enjoy a day on it.
The 2 stroke is for those days where I want the 2stroke rush.
mark_swart
2/12/2017 8:46pm
You don't need a class, just run it in Vet! I'd almost bet another 5 years half the field at most vet races will be on two strokes. Washington State MX runs a 125 class, but it's mostly kids... you're better off in vet!

I'm ditching my 450F and going with a 125 this year. I raced my kid's 2004 at a WA State MX race last year and again last month at Woodland. It's fun, it's more forgiving when you do get out of control, and it's cheap to maintain. My 'sprint laps' are 1-2 seconds slower but I think I actually hold a better pace on the 125.Yes you have to be a bit more opportunistic on the starts.. but watch any SX race and do the same thing Dungey does and you will be fine. And of course you have to commit to the jumps if you are on a 125, but I am not having any huge issues getting over them. My main question is if I'm going to put some better SSS forks on the 2004, or bite the bullet and get a newer one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9V_oky-Yqc&t=2s

I have no doubt that at this particular race I wouldn't have done any better on the 450.
jeffro503
2/12/2017 8:49pm
tempura wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
That was just a couple months ago. Had a 12' Kawi 450 and just found that I liked riding my RM 250 more. Then when these...

tempura wrote:
I understand completely. I've kinda done the same. Gone are the 450 days for me.. Getting too old and prone to injury. I ride a 250...
I understand completely.
I've kinda done the same.
Gone are the 450 days for me.. Getting too old and prone to injury.
I ride a 250 2stroke and a crf250r at the moment.
The crf250 is so tame, it's unbelievable, but I can throw it about and enjoy a day on it.
The 2 stroke is for those days where I want the 2stroke rush.
I hear ya! I'm not totally against getting another 4 stroke one day , but it would be a 250F. But I think I have my heart set on a 125 again. Go back to the roots where I started about 34 years ago.

Shocks me a little when I think about it. Back in the 90's and 2000's , I was running Tom Morgan built KX 250's....fast as hell! But they don't even compare to these new 450's. Some where along the lines , the bikes have gotten so fast ( at least me ) , where I need to down grade to a smaller size. No shame in admitting that. And besides , if I feel good , I ride even better. I guess after I get that Husky 250 , I better start making room for a new 125 to go along with it.
Radical
Fantasy
2278th
2/12/2017 10:15pm
I'm 54 and racing the 40+ (all skill levels) and 250f beginner classes on my 2005 YZ125.
I ride a 125 because of how it makes me ride, all out!
I pulled one holeshot against the 450's and I was so stoked that I was screaming inside of my helmet!
After that it didn't even matter what happened the rest of the race.

I find that in the Vet classes, apart from the start, the engine size has little to do with how fast people ride. The 450's are way faster than anyone is willing to ride. This is less true in the higher classes obviously.

In the 250f beginner class I'm slightly slower than everyone else, but that's simply because I don't ride enough.
I'm getting faster though so I expect to be competitive this year. Once I start winning, I'll move up.

I have no interest in riding a different bike, 2T or 4T. The 125 fits me, and keeps me riding with intensity, just the way I like it.

If you're buying a used 125, it's not going to really cost anything to try it. If you find that it's not for you, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

The 125 only classes that I've seen are really fast, but they're fair since everyone's on the same size bike. I would love to race it one day, but I'm not there speed wise yet. Maybe I will be by the time I turn 60 Smile .
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2247th
2/12/2017 10:24pm
I'm going to come up for the125 dream race this year as long as weather permits ya know.

I think Mammoth MX has a 2 stroke class during the amateur week.

Theres also the 2 stroke championships at Glen Helen.
BobPA
2/12/2017 10:39pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2017 10:40pm
There is a 25+ two stroke class around here, ran my KX 125 in it and had a couple moto wins and a whole bunch of fun. I just had my engine bored to a 144 with some good porting and a whole bunch of compression added.....should really be a blast. Sad part is that the new TC 125 will probably be faster
scott_nz
Fantasy
529th
2/12/2017 10:44pm
i have been racing my 125 in vets here for a year, can get ok starts, managed to start in front of Josh Coppins in the sand in one meeting last year, i ride a 08 KX125, I have put a PC muffler on it, and my KX450F front brake set up on it,

i am faster over 10 min plus a lap which most races are here, i like the challange of passing guys on big bikes,
HenryA
2/13/2017 12:00am
Since you're coming of a 450, make sure to try a 125 before you actually buy one. Riding a 125 is not for everyone and they are pretty hyped up these days. I'm sure that you have great memories from the 125 days but I would hate to pay big bucks only to be disappointed.

Btw the new TC250 is an amazing bike, way to go Jeffro!
brash
2/13/2017 12:05am
I'm 30, fat, balding and on a YZ125

I'm the guy with the biggest grin on his face too.

Do it! Best bikes ever. I sold my fresh YZ450 because 8/10 rides I'd take the 125.
Crush
2/13/2017 12:20am
You'll probably fit in somewhere near the back of the pack, covered in roost with a shit-eating grin!!!!
Indy mxer
2/13/2017 3:59am
I'm 59 and have a 16 Kawi 450. Which I love btw. Last year I bought a used 15 Husky 125 to ride for fun. I had FC do the suspension and tricked it out a bit. I'm having a blast on it. I forgot how light they are. Feels like a bmx bike compared to my 450.
Although it is a lot of work to ride. I had forgotten how much you have to shift. lol.

Haven't raced it yet but plan to.

All that said, I wouldn't want it for my only bike. Still dig riding my 450.
hellion
2/13/2017 4:04am
There are so many Vet riders at the races, I think it would be cool if there was a way to keep track of where the 125's finish. I don't think we need more gate drops, that just shortens everyone's motos. And we don't need trophies either at this stage if the game. Just keep track of where the 125's finish and keep points for them. You could finish fifth overall and first 125 and get points in both. Then at the banquet at the end of the year give the winner a #1 plate for the garage wall.

Jeffro, I feel exactly like you do about 450's. Keep on trying them, but find they're just too much, and they're not even fun to ride. Too easy, too fast, too boring all at the same time.
davistld01
2/13/2017 5:50am
tempura wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:

Haha! Damn..,I'm glad somebody is finally telling the truth. I still love my Honda 450, but it just wears me out to the point where I'm not having any fun...just trying not to crash 80% of the time! With me, it is age...I'm 58, but I don't want to work that hard any more. But, I'm not sure I could ride a modded 250 2-stroke any more either. Jeeeez...maybe I need a 125 too.
Frodad78
2/13/2017 6:01am
I hear you Jeffro!

I raced plus 30 yesterday at the Scramblecross opening round. It was a combined gate with 40 plus as well. I got shit starts both motos ( actually all 4 motos that day lol) but it was the most fun I had racing in ages because I spent the whole rest of the race picking off 450s. It was windy and dry, there was zero traction but I found myself catching the 450s going into corners and by the end of the moto I was about standing on the outside peg flat tracking to try and get around these guys. Best part of the day was the end of the last moto I passed 3 dudes and had my sights set on a 40 plus guy on a TM125. He was running first in his class I was running 2nd in mine but when I saw him in front of me I thought no way. It was now a 125 race! We had a great battle with him even taking me wide and bumping me. I was hooping and hollering at him going down the front straight, it was so badass hearing the 2 of us winding out the 125s down the stretch! I did get him on the last lap though!

I know getting the holeshot and running away is an awesome feeling, they had a 125 class last year and I almost swept all the motos without competition. But man.... at 39 I just love the racing and battling aspect of it. It was a blast changing up lines and getting creative trying to get around the thumpers. So I say go for it!!!
2/13/2017 6:32am
I'm fairly slow and am going to try for +30 at LL's this year. My area and regional are at my local track so I think I'll try to qualify on my 125 and if I make it I'll upgrade to a 350. I don't think that I will be much faster on the 350, it might just be easier to ride for a 20 minute moto on a brutal track.

Post a reply to: Older Vet guys...and their 125's.

The Latest