Old water park on the way to Vegas/MX track

Bobby Skeet
Edited Date/Time 8/2/2022 2:43pm
So I came across this on a local MX forum in Vegas. A guy states that he drove out to the old water park off the 15 and asked what kind of construction was going on there. The info he got was that they were gonna put in 4 MX tracks, 2 Razor/Atv tracks, an off road track out behind the facility, a concert arena, 40 space RV campground w/hookups and they will be opening the lazy river as well. Has anyone heard any info on this? I hope this happens the tracks out here in Vegas suck. They plan a ground breaking ceremony in February some time. I drove past it this weekend and it looks like they are cleaning the place up.

|
8/1/2022 9:44pm
That's the first I've heard about that place.... but I know there's a group in Pahrump that has received a grant from the Nevada off road licensing Dept. and are supposed to be opening a track at the fair grounds out there. Not sure if it's still a go but I have fingers crossed.
8/1/2022 9:53pm
Off topic questions, I've considered moving to Vegas. What are the current tracks in the area? Are they good? How far are they from Vegas? Thanks!
hubbardmx50
8/1/2022 10:12pm
No way that’s crazy. I’m about 80-90 miles away but will come up and ride if it’s a decent track. I’ve been missing Racetown a lot lately. And yes that is good news for Vegas peeps. I feel bad for you guys. Is there a website or anything? Is that screenshot from fishbook?
Bobby Skeet
8/1/2022 10:29pm
Off topic questions, I've considered moving to Vegas. What are the current tracks in the area? Are they good? How far are they from Vegas? Thanks!
We have Mesquite MX which is about an hour and 40 mins north of Vegas. Its only open in the fall/Winter. They like to rip the rack deep for RMX race series. So, the ruts there get to be the size of the Grand Canyon. Then there is Sandy Valley they do night practices during the summer and day during the winter. Its only one track and can get crowed and boring pretty quick. There used to be Western Mx, but they are closed no telling when they will open back up.

The Shop

Bobby Skeet
8/1/2022 10:31pm
No way that’s crazy. I’m about 80-90 miles away but will come up and ride if it’s a decent track. I’ve been missing Racetown a lot...
No way that’s crazy. I’m about 80-90 miles away but will come up and ride if it’s a decent track. I’ve been missing Racetown a lot lately. And yes that is good news for Vegas peeps. I feel bad for you guys. Is there a website or anything? Is that screenshot from fishbook?
Yeah I screen shotted from Face Book local mx fourm.
Bobby Skeet
8/1/2022 10:34pm
That's the first I've heard about that place.... but I know there's a group in Pahrump that has received a grant from the Nevada off road...
That's the first I've heard about that place.... but I know there's a group in Pahrump that has received a grant from the Nevada off road licensing Dept. and are supposed to be opening a track at the fair grounds out there. Not sure if it's still a go but I have fingers crossed.
I heard about the Pahrump track back before Covid hit. Haven't heard anything else. You would think the Speed way out in Pahrump would invest in something like that, but I guess they do pretty well from the car clubs out there.
8/1/2022 10:42pm
We have Mesquite MX which is about an hour and 40 mins north of Vegas. Its only open in the fall/Winter. They like to rip the...
We have Mesquite MX which is about an hour and 40 mins north of Vegas. Its only open in the fall/Winter. They like to rip the rack deep for RMX race series. So, the ruts there get to be the size of the Grand Canyon. Then there is Sandy Valley they do night practices during the summer and day during the winter. Its only one track and can get crowed and boring pretty quick. There used to be Western Mx, but they are closed no telling when they will open back up.
Dang, sounds like the motocross scene in Vegas isn't that great? Only one decent track (Mesquite) from what it sounds like.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/1/2022 11:02pm
We have Mesquite MX which is about an hour and 40 mins north of Vegas. Its only open in the fall/Winter. They like to rip the...
Dang, sounds like the motocross scene in Vegas isn't that great? Only one decent track (Mesquite) from what it sounds like.
I lived there for a bit back in 2009/2010. It was Mesquite, Boulder or Sandy Valley. The moto scene there isn’t bad, but it’s definitely no So Cal.
Boulder was a cool track, but was nothing but silt. Not sure they could ever put enough water down at that place to keep it moist throughout the day. Bummer it’s been closed for so long. It would be cool to have another track there.
Mesquite at the time was ran by a younger guy named Jason. The track was pretty fun and was pretty much our go to track in the area. It’s even better now than it was in 2009/10. The step up in the middle is super fun.
Sandy Valley is a trip to get to. You’re in the desert, in rocky looking mountains and then drop into a valley with farms and a track. Night practice was really cool there, but like Bobby said, ride it enough and it can get boring quick. But it’s a place to ride.
There is or was another track a little passed Mesquite in St George Utah, but I never went there and last video I saw a few years back made it look like more of a backyard style track.
Most of our riding while living in Vegas was done in So Cal. We still raced here with CMC and GFI so it made more sense and we had more choices here. There’s so much land/desert surrounding the area, I wish it was used for more tracks
bvm111
8/1/2022 11:22pm
western is done … messy divorce forced it closed from what i understand. As stated Sandy Valley is the go to, they do an over all good job and currently are the constant that supports the vegas moto scene… it’s small but fun and it’s what we have and I try to support them as often as I can because if they close again we are done and moto is what calms my PTSD. Mesquite is my kryptonite track… I ride like a complete goon there, for me their prep is awful, the jumps are shaped weird, has no flow, and the way they split the classes for practice you sit forever in the pits waiting for the main track or goof off on their so called “vet” track thing that is a glorified desert track with some goofy shaped jumps added in… i go if it’s my only option.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/2/2022 11:57am
That would be a long drive for virtually anyone, but I love the lazy river idea. On how many ride days have you wanted to go jump in a pool? It's a lot for me.
8/2/2022 1:08pm
What ever happened to the World Mini Grand Prix that they used to hold in Vegas? Is that track still around?
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/2/2022 1:13pm
What ever happened to the World Mini Grand Prix that they used to hold in Vegas? Is that track still around?
The old, old WMGP track in Henderson is long gone. Bulldozed into oblivion.

The newer one, right across from the Air Force base may still be there; it was adjacent to where they built the NASCAR track. I haven't been there since about 2001.
DEMONDAVE
8/2/2022 2:11pm
ground breaking was like feb / mar 2022 , everyone in Barstow is super excited about it .
i work about 20 minutes south of the old lake Delores / rock-a-hula water park.
heard its gonna be opening many times before but this time looks to be a go .
i haven't heard anything about tracks though , a concert venue and water park is all the news ive heard.
fingers crossed for more so cal tracks though , its dry in the high desert now that racetown and comp edge bit the dust.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
8/2/2022 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2022 2:23pm
Falcon wrote:
That would be a long drive for virtually anyone, but I love the lazy river idea. On how many ride days have you wanted to go...
That would be a long drive for virtually anyone, but I love the lazy river idea. On how many ride days have you wanted to go jump in a pool? It's a lot for me.
That sounds awesome as long as you're not the guy cleaning it after a bunch of dusty swamp ass motocrosser's been soaking in it. SickSick
hubbardmx50
8/2/2022 2:27pm
DEMONDAVE wrote:
ground breaking was like feb / mar 2022 , everyone in Barstow is super excited about it . i work about 20 minutes south of the...
ground breaking was like feb / mar 2022 , everyone in Barstow is super excited about it .
i work about 20 minutes south of the old lake Delores / rock-a-hula water park.
heard its gonna be opening many times before but this time looks to be a go .
i haven't heard anything about tracks though , a concert venue and water park is all the news ive heard.
fingers crossed for more so cal tracks though , its dry in the high desert now that racetown and comp edge bit the dust.
Yeah where's all the info on the moto track that's supposedly going in? I don't really care about a water park. Only info I could find was about the RV park and concert venue going in.
COAL-TRAIN
8/2/2022 2:32pm
I have heard about this...sounds like it's in progress.
8/2/2022 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2022 2:43pm
Falcon wrote:
The old, old WMGP track in Henderson is long gone. Bulldozed into oblivion. The newer one, right across from the Air Force base may still be...
The old, old WMGP track in Henderson is long gone. Bulldozed into oblivion.

The newer one, right across from the Air Force base may still be there; it was adjacent to where they built the NASCAR track. I haven't been there since about 2001.
Nah, that ones been gone since at least 2009, maybe even 08. Before that and after the one at Boulder City (Henderson, start pad might still be there) and Apex (more north than Nellis, start pad is definitely still there), it was a few more gates ahead of where it ended up near the Nascar track in the 90s. The one in the pit closest to Nascar was probably the best of them come national time.

There were a few deaths out there during regular night/weekend practices that first caused it to close locally, then the NMA said screw it and went to Mesquite for the next few years. Then they abandoned Ponca and the World Mini if memory serves.

Hopefully this idea comes through and sticks around for awhile. We always spent more time at Apex and outside the state than we did trying to ride/race outside Vegas. Was never worth it in regards to the tracks or the kids we had to race. Vegas/southern NV needs more tracks to attract more kids to the sport.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/2/2022 4:13pm
^ Oh, that's right. I remember there was a track in Mesquite for a while...

The World Mini was at Glen Helen for a while lately. I don't know if it's still happening.

Post a reply to: Old water park on the way to Vegas/MX track

The Latest