Old national tracks,,,,

7I3N
4/5/2011 2:43pm
Baymare, Somis (Moorpark) Ca.. First time I ever saw Buck Murphy on that Yellow tanked, KTM engined 250 Penton. #85 behind the leader (Not a Baymare...
Baymare, Somis (Moorpark) Ca.. First time I ever saw Buck Murphy on that Yellow tanked, KTM engined 250 Penton. #85 behind the leader (Not a Baymare photo).

Got to race that track twice before it closed. One of my all time favorites.
MBBadgers
4/5/2011 3:21pm
Did Carlsbad ever have a Nat? I always associate it with the GP. In was scratching the back of my cob webbed memory on Hollister in...
Did Carlsbad ever have a Nat? I always associate it with the GP. In was scratching the back of my cob webbed memory on Hollister in that regard as well.

I think most of the track in the One Chance To Win video from the 75 series are gone.
G-man wrote:
Yes one year they had a National in the early 80's. I went to every big event there. Not 100% sure but I think it was...
Yes one year they had a National in the early 80's. I went to every big event there. Not 100% sure but I think it was 125/500 National and it might have been the last round.
That's right; didn't Schulz win his 500 title at that race.
Yes it was 125/500, I remember RJ & Lechien racing 125's and Schultz, Wosick and Cantaloupi racing 500's. It was an extremely hot day, down at the bottom of the pits there was no ventilation, but extraordinary racing.
slowvet
4/5/2011 3:36pm
Highsider wrote:
Pepperell, MA
Baldwin, KS
Herman, NE
Agency, MO
Herman, Ne. was the site of a trans-ama wasn't it? Fun track. Did anybody mention Sunshine Speedway in St. Pete?
jim598
4/5/2011 4:03pm
also in Ohio Mid-ohio, LaRue (MCIR), Delta

The Shop

Foo723
4/5/2011 4:06pm
man, i knew they had a Nat at rhode island before.

they ran a supercross at talladega in 84, i think wardy won that one.

"Burnt Hickory, GA
Road Atlanta, GA (damn that was a badass track!)
Atlanta International Raceway, GA
Six Flags over Georgia, GA
Gatorback, FL
Sunshine Speedway, FL "

Road Atlanta, what a track, i loved that one. i remember wardy and o'mara had a ferrocious battle for 2nd on that one in '81, all i can say is those cats really had some imagination attacking those obsticles.

i got to race at sunshine speedway once, since i was a nobody, i had to park and pit in the short track, couldnt hear the pa and had to walk a lot to find out what was going on. i loved that track.

did mid-ohio ever run a Nat? did sears point ever run a nat?

i dont think they ever run a nat at orlando sports stadium, but that was one of my favorites. 3 foot whoops all day long.

at the '81 winter series at gatorback, hannah flew in late, took one lap of practice and won the 250 class hands down .... dayum.

i remember the Nat at westwego, louisiana, in '76 hannah would bonzai that one jump every lap.
wardy
4/5/2011 4:11pm
Sandy Oaks Keithsburg, IL

1977 125 national?

no ruffer track on the planet.

we race HS there twice a year. it's one nasty bunch of sand whoops. LOL likley the same whoops which were formed in 1977 and before.........
The Rock
4/5/2011 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2011 5:57pm
mx317 wrote:
We had a close national at Lebanon TN and Jimmy Ellis won that after Tony D had a flat. It was a 250 nat with a...
We had a close national at Lebanon TN and Jimmy Ellis won that after Tony D had a flat. It was a 250 nat with a 500 support class.
I was there. Furman Gray was on fire on his Maico but I think he only had one good moto that day.

Highland Hills, Hillsboro, Ohio Track where the classic Charles Morey photo was taken of the Jammer leaning in on Tony D the fall of 74..
katooom
4/5/2011 5:33pm
pulleymx wrote:
What was the name of the track in Anderson SC?
Anderson SC: I think it was called Sandy Springs in the '70s. Later I think it became Secession MX. Though that may have been a different track.

I don't remember a National ever being held there. But I was gone by the '80s.

I was a local hot shoe in the 70s there. In about '77 or '78 the local Yamaha dealer got Bob Hannah to come to town. We all thought we would give him a run for his money at our local track. Yeah right. About 6 turns in and he was gone. Rode my ass off, Hannah was gone. This kid learned the difference between a local hot shoe and a top flight pro that day. Convinced me I better go to college.

And yeah, Road Atlanta was a bad-ass track. Saw Gary Jones, Karsmakers, DeCoster, lots of others there. I think it was part of the Trans-AMA series. They had a fast fast sweeper up on the hill there, those guys would come through pinned, throttle side handlebar just inches from the picket fence the entire way. Good times!
rpoint116
4/5/2011 5:44pm
Highsider wrote:
Pepperell, MA
Baldwin, KS
Herman, NE
Agency, MO
raddad wrote:
I was at the national in Herman, i think they only had one sometime around 77 or so. # of my buddies and i drove there...
I was at the national in Herman, i think they only had one sometime around 77 or so. # of my buddies and i drove there in an old MX van and got lots of chicks to flash us as we opened the side door while driving down the freeway and we flashed them right back! Stayed in a super ratty motel full of bugs and no working lights other than the bathroom!
I filmed the whole thing and it was epic racing with all the stars of the time like Smith, Hanna, Ellis etc etc. The film was super 8 and i may still have it someplaceSmile
WOW ! Goosebumps!

Agency was my home track, practiced there weekly. That was the National Magoo clipped the flagger.

That Baldwin National was a mudder.

I do not recall a National at Herman. I remember the name, but can not remember the location. For Nebraska tracks there was Ft. Calhoun, Denton & Herman
4/5/2011 6:08pm
Mid Ohio ran a few Trans-AM races in mid late 70's. Alternated with Honda Hills briefly. I think the 1980 125 USGP. Rained like hell mid day.

BTW, this was not at the same location of the Mid Ohio sports car course.
Joko
Fantasy
239th
4/5/2011 6:17pm
Mid Ohio ran a few Trans-AM races in mid late 70's. Alternated with Honda Hills briefly. I think the 1980 125 USGP. Rained like hell mid...
Mid Ohio ran a few Trans-AM races in mid late 70's. Alternated with Honda Hills briefly. I think the 1980 125 USGP. Rained like hell mid day.

Southwick, back when it was a real track with the big steep hills like the frogpond, skyshot, camel backs ... now it's too flat and easy ...
toddzilla
4/5/2011 6:17pm
I rember going to a national in Forsyth, Georgia in 76' or 77'. The track was called towaliga mx park. Seems like Jimmy Wiernant may have won but I'm not sure. Rumor was the promoter ran off before the race was over with all the money.
Does anyone out there remember this?
Ing
4/5/2011 6:21pm
wardy wrote:
Sandy Oaks Keithsburg, IL 1977 125 national? no ruffer track on the planet. we race HS there twice a year. it's one nasty bunch of sand...

1977 125 national?

we race HS there twice a year. it's one nasty bunch of sand whoops. LOL likley the same whoops which were formed in 1977 and before.........
Yep, couldn't agree more. Rough SOB. Raced many HS there including one 3hr. Yep, 3hrs. on that track was a killer. I believe Mike Melton won it the year they had a national 3hr. I remember talking to Hannah in 77. The cocky sob said "I love rough tracks" Turns out he did love rough tracks as he lapped everyone but Weinert. That dude was unreal. Good memories.
Moto4T5
4/5/2011 6:34pm
G-man wrote:
Yes one year they had a National in the early 80's. I went to every big event there. Not 100% sure but I think it was...
Yes one year they had a National in the early 80's. I went to every big event there. Not 100% sure but I think it was 125/500 National and it might have been the last round.
That's right; didn't Schulz win his 500 title at that race.
MBBadgers wrote:
Yes it was 125/500, I remember RJ & Lechien racing 125's and Schultz, Wosick and Cantaloupi racing 500's. It was an extremely hot day, down at...
Yes it was 125/500, I remember RJ & Lechien racing 125's and Schultz, Wosick and Cantaloupi racing 500's. It was an extremely hot day, down at the bottom of the pits there was no ventilation, but extraordinary racing.
It was 1983 125/500 national at Carlsbad, i had to borrow George Hollands helmet cuase mine didn't pass tech inspection, George had a small head!
BobbyM
4/5/2011 6:38pm
Plymouth
Sears Point
Saddleback
carlsbad too?
The Rock
4/5/2011 7:58pm
Mid Ohio ran a few Trans-AM races in mid late 70's. Alternated with Honda Hills briefly. I think the 1980 125 USGP. Rained like hell mid...

Loved the start at Mid Ohio and this was also the track that had the first double jump....think it was Mikkola in the Open class and Eierstedt and Grossi in the support class were the only ones doing it.

I thought the Trans Am just changed to Mid Ohio in about 75 or 76 and stayed there.......I will ask Phil Alderton this question....he is a walking MX encyclopedia
TerryK
4/5/2011 8:09pm
Copetown Ontario, Canada had a Canadian National but it's claim to fame was the Motocross GP in 79 ish.
Cool Rides
4/5/2011 8:25pm
Castle Rock, Colorado 81 or 82. Ricky Johnson blew out his front wheel off one of the drop down jumps and ended up losing the championship. We got to race the track the next weekend. The back section was nuts with off camber rolling hills over big gnarly tree roots and yucca plants it was tough especially on a 80.
wardy
4/5/2011 9:01pm
we went to a national one year or maybe a couple years in the 70's.

Delta Ohio at the fairgrounds.

seen Barnett there race amatuer and have faster lap times then Hannah and Smith that day. The year after that they found out when he turned pro.

long long time ago.
4/5/2011 9:05pm
Lakewood? Not sure, the current track is in the same location as the old track.
Mr. Info
4/5/2011 9:33pm
Any track on the West Coast after next year.
Allracing
4/5/2011 9:37pm
In Cedar Fort, Utah there was an AMA InterAm Motocross National in the early 70's, I've heard from people that Roger Decoster was there and maybe even Hannah. One thing a buddy remembers that was there was Evel Knievel was there watching the race. The only info I could find was this picture of Marty Tripes on flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13312654@N05/1366692184/
wet paint
4/5/2011 9:38pm
Start naming the tracks that used to have nationals. Close to home,,,,

Metrolina Fairgrounds
Lake Sugar Tree
Anderson, SC

pulleymx wrote:
What was the name of the track in Anderson SC?
Silver Sands was the track in Anderson. Hannah was unbelievable that day, I never knew a bike could go that fast. Pits(a hole dug in the ground like a reverse table top) were big in the 70`s. Hannah found a braking bump and used it for a ramp and started jumping over the pit. No one had ever done it before ,,just unreal in the day. Hannah would get off his bike and come over to Robbie Neeley`s van and sit in a lounge chair like one of the boys. Super nice to everyone with no big ego. I never said a word to him, he made me nervous just being there because he was Bob Hannah. It was also the first track probably in the Southeast to get staring gates inplace of the rubber band.
smacker
4/5/2011 9:39pm
pinetop RI was 1978 only national to run there . had a great time watching pro's on my home town track.
4/6/2011 9:45am

The Rock wrote:
Loved the start at Mid Ohio and this was also the track that had the first double jump....think it was Mikkola in the Open class and...
Loved the start at Mid Ohio and this was also the track that had the first double jump....think it was Mikkola in the Open class and Eierstedt and Grossi in the support class were the only ones doing it.

I thought the Trans Am just changed to Mid Ohio in about 75 or 76 and stayed there.......I will ask Phil Alderton this question....he is a walking MX encyclopedia
Well my memory gets me in trouble, but what I remember was we went to 2 Trans Ams at Honda Hills and thought for some reason the fist time I went to Mid Ohio was the year between. I do remember the first year we were at Mid-Ohio the track ran counter-clockwise and the first double I had seen - after what I'll call a huge ski jump and just before the track turned left and went kinda behind the starting gate (at the far north end of the track). Yea, few doing - Decoster was another.

All other Pro races (I was at) the track was run clockwise.

Could have my time line screwed up. Set me straight.
Ryno784
4/6/2011 9:55am
bultokid wrote:
Rio Bravo
Lake Whitney
San Antonio
Ahhh yes, fellow old school Texan!
8/26/2018 12:33am
wardy wrote:
Sandy Oaks Keithsburg, IL 1977 125 national? no ruffer track on the planet. we race HS there twice a year. it's one nasty bunch of sand...

1977 125 national?

I raced Keithsburg the next year, Spring 1978. It was not a national this year. I remember the LOP boys had just returned from their Florida winter. In some sections the sandy corners were solid ice grooves.
8/26/2018 12:44am
Castle Rock, CO

Inter ama or trans ama at Baldwin, KS
I raced Castle Rock in 1974. And then in 1981 I moved back to CO and raced at the new national track, the pro class the day before the national. Broke my shock I landed so hard. Hannah did the picture perfect Flying-W that weekend.
8/26/2018 12:52am

1977 Mid Ohio Trans-AM. I will dig up my pictures.
1977 Mid Ohio 125 GP. Pat Richter first American. Good ol Ohio mud.
8/26/2018 1:02am
Red Bud. 1977 Trans Am. I think October 16-17. I raced sunny Saturday. Sunday Trans Am was in the snow. The starter, Carroll Chandler, got stuck in the mud and could not get off the track in time and Howerton hit him. Decoster holeshot. Then Hannah holeshot the restart. Bengt Aberg rode his awesome Sten Lundin 500 4-stroke.
I camped at the track for the week, got to see Arlo England (whom I had not seen since 1975 in CO) testing the Husky automatic.

Post a reply to: Old national tracks,,,,

The Latest