Old memories

G-man
Edited Date/Time 9/8/2021 6:34pm
Dad passed away in May and need to get my childhome ready to sell been finding some ol pics.
So many good memories here really going to miss it. Wouldn't change a thing SoCal Moto in the 70's and 80's was awesome!
There is a thread in non moto.

Before the 2 Glendale fwy went thru the mountain we had awesome trails, tracks and forts to grow up with.

After that I was left with this small lot across the street that I made into a track.
74TM 125 I'm 16 and later a 75 RM125

Early 70's Crossup were a Big Deal Laughing

If you miss the bottom corner you could land on the 2 Freeway!Cheerful

Wearing tennis shoes in a lot of these pics and one day I learned the hard way when I rode a Maico for the first time and discovered a REAL front brake. Foot was caught on the footpeg as I Slammed to the ground and ankle was bloody hamburger, never again!

Thanks Dad....👍

|
Sprew
9/7/2021 3:39pm
Those were the days. Thanks for sharing.
tydog
9/7/2021 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2021 5:42am
So very sorry for your loss but looks like some great memories. Thanks for sharing.

The Shop

sandman768
9/7/2021 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2021 5:25pm
Awesome photos! Can you imagine riding that close to houses nowadays ! Good style bro👍
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
9/7/2021 5:35pm
Good times, there were so many places to ride back then, even in Orange County.. Great pics.... and sorry about pops.
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
9/7/2021 6:26pm
You had some style!

Really awesome pics, so amazing to see the freeway, houses, and City backdrops so nearby in the pics. Could never get away with that shit today.
500 Mike
9/7/2021 6:35pm
Sorry about your dad as well.

I have great memories of my dad taking me racing back in the mid to late 70's. Those definitely were the days, but time marches on!!
str8line
9/7/2021 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2021 7:16pm
Awesome post and memories. You were(are) a badass on a bike. RIP to your dad, dad's who teach their kids to love motorcycles are the best.

And happy this thread was not about old mammaries.

a22
9/7/2021 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2021 7:47pm
Those pics are superb! My favourite :-

Man are you railing and slamming that corner!

Reminds me of when my Dad passed- one of the last chats we had was how much fun we both had racing- I never thought I did as good as I could have but Dad smiled and told me I did quite good. Still disagree!! Told him I would get back on the bike and make a comeback... aged like 40 !!! I never did!! haha

Those pics so much portrait the times and super fun we had. You look real quick G-man!! Laughing What super times those days were.
HuskyEd
9/7/2021 7:58pm
You rode the hills and lots of Eagle Rock and I rode the hills and lots of Sylmar. Those are some cool pictures Gary. That's back in the day when the neighbors didn't give a shit about you riding near the neighborhoods. Thanks for the memories.

So very sorry to hear about your father. I send my condolences.
TeamGreen
9/7/2021 8:58pm
Sorry for your loss.

Stoked on your pics and story.
Arkmx
9/7/2021 9:56pm
Thanks for sharing Gary! Sorry for your loss... RIP Pops.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
9/7/2021 10:30pm
Sorry about your Dad. Great pics ! Man I miss riding from our houses in the local hills back then. It was so “normal” we didn’t know how good we had it. Thanks for posting those. 👍
DGE.532
9/8/2021 5:14am
Sorry for your loss. Miss those impromptu neighborhood riding areas that sprang up back then so much they were the best thanks for sharing
mx317
9/8/2021 5:23am
I miss going to the races with my dad. He never yelled at me one time, but he could just give me a look (oh that look lol) that let me know I didn't do my best. I need that now!
DaveB771
9/8/2021 6:02am
My condolences. Sometime I'll have to scan the old photos I brought home when we cleaned out the house after my folks passed.
G-man
9/8/2021 12:53pm
AZ35 wrote:
You had some style! Really awesome pics, so amazing to see the freeway, houses, and City backdrops so nearby in the pics. Could never get away...
You had some style!

Really awesome pics, so amazing to see the freeway, houses, and City backdrops so nearby in the pics. Could never get away with that shit today.
Thanks guys for the props and yea at 16 you never really think about neighbors but I can imagine not being high on their list.

The garage open shown was ours and I had it timed to get in a 15 minute moto to get the Ya Ya's out and I would ride into the garage close the door and hear the cops 👮‍♀️ roll by....Laughing
G-man
9/8/2021 1:01pm
a22 wrote:
Those pics are superb! My favourite :- [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/09/07/508981/s1200_g_man.jpg[/img] Man are you railing and slamming that corner! Reminds me of when my Dad passed- one of the...
Those pics are superb! My favourite :-

Man are you railing and slamming that corner!

Reminds me of when my Dad passed- one of the last chats we had was how much fun we both had racing- I never thought I did as good as I could have but Dad smiled and told me I did quite good. Still disagree!! Told him I would get back on the bike and make a comeback... aged like 40 !!! I never did!! haha

Those pics so much portrait the times and super fun we had. You look real quick G-man!! Laughing What super times those days were.
Thanks
That was a Magic Bike 77 RM125, much improved over the previous years.

The open garage was my "Factory " where all the R&D was done.Smile

Funny thing about that corner the neighbor lady would break out the hose and try to spray me. Little did she know she was just making it better! Laughing
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
9/8/2021 1:18pm
Have to say I'm bummed our kids didn't get to experience the freedom we had. We used to have a few places to ride from our house in San Clemente. These are from where the 5 rounds the corner in Dana Point. Good times. These were on a 79' XL175

Later sometime in the early 80"s with my girlfriend / later wife on an ATC 110

G-man
9/8/2021 1:45pm
Awesome, there must have been good riding spots down there. Cheerful
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
9/8/2021 4:43pm
G-man wrote:
Awesome, there must have been good riding spots down there. Cheerful
I wish I had more pictures from back then. There were trails all over the place, same as very where else back then. We rode in the "tomato fields" where Seabreeze cycle park was way back before my time, and the "Outlets at San Clemente" are now. Salvador street at the top of SC use to be covered with trails. In the 80's when they were expanding the town east into the hills I kept that little 110 in the back of my work truck and would go play around the construction zones after work lol. The thing was tiny and took up very little space and was light enough to load and unload easy. Me and my work partner would get off work, grab a couple cold ones, have a safety meeting and go fuck around on that thing till dark Laughing
Seabreeze Cycle Park (before my time) We called it the tomato fields

And farting around on the 110 where they built Bernice Ayer Middle School

Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1522nd
9/8/2021 5:11pm
Sorry to hear about your Dad G-Man. Glad you have great memories!
face biter
9/8/2021 6:02pm
Who owned that squareback in the open garage door photo?
Ps. Awesome photos!
DA498
9/8/2021 6:34pm
Great pics G-man! Thanks for sharing your memories and sorry for your loss. Im the same age and have great memories of those days with my Dad going to the races. Im blessed hes still around and bench race every weekend hashing out the latest Pro National or SX. Priceless.

That squareback brought back memories also. Learned to drive in one.
G-man
9/9/2021 8:28am
sumdood wrote:
I wish I had more pictures from back then. There were trails all over the place, same as very where else back then. We rode in...
I wish I had more pictures from back then. There were trails all over the place, same as very where else back then. We rode in the "tomato fields" where Seabreeze cycle park was way back before my time, and the "Outlets at San Clemente" are now. Salvador street at the top of SC use to be covered with trails. In the 80's when they were expanding the town east into the hills I kept that little 110 in the back of my work truck and would go play around the construction zones after work lol. The thing was tiny and took up very little space and was light enough to load and unload easy. Me and my work partner would get off work, grab a couple cold ones, have a safety meeting and go fuck around on that thing till dark Laughing
Seabreeze Cycle Park (before my time) We called it the tomato fields

And farting around on the 110 where they built Bernice Ayer Middle School

Wow never heard of Sea Breeze, back in the day there were so many riding parks in SoCal that vanished into housing tracts. Sad

Saddleback and the Disneyland of riding areas was Indian Dunes it had EVERYTHING and you could even rent beater bikes to put the hook into the first timer.

LA Dodger pitcher Claude Osteen even opened a park and my uncle took me there. It was the first time I saw a 73 Elsinore.
G-man
9/9/2021 8:49am
DA498 wrote:
Great pics G-man! Thanks for sharing your memories and sorry for your loss. Im the same age and have great memories of those days with my...
Great pics G-man! Thanks for sharing your memories and sorry for your loss. Im the same age and have great memories of those days with my Dad going to the races. Im blessed hes still around and bench race every weekend hashing out the latest Pro National or SX. Priceless.

That squareback brought back memories also. Learned to drive in one.
Thanks!
Just to be clear my Dad never supported or took interest in my riding/racing except for one six race CMC Series where the winners won a XR75 in 1978.

He made me a deal he would sponsor me if I enrolled in College in the fall. Of course I jumped at the chance won the bike and gave the bike to my girl and those were some of the best times and Mom and Dad went to the races.

Turned out by sheer luck they had an A&P course and that turned out to be a blessing as I was not cutout for typical College courses.

Dad and I didn't have the greatest relationship growing up as he was non-existent. When I moved to AZ I would come to visit and it grew stronger as he got older. Unlike my brother who lived in SoCal and NEVER visited my parents, everytime I saw them I cherished those times and thanked them many times for the beautiful home, surrounding areas and for bribing me to go to College.
We were very close to the end and I miss them both as I am here now.
DA498
9/9/2021 9:38am
G-man wrote:
Thanks! Just to be clear my Dad never supported or took interest in my riding/racing except for one six race CMC Series where the winners won...
Thanks!
Just to be clear my Dad never supported or took interest in my riding/racing except for one six race CMC Series where the winners won a XR75 in 1978.

He made me a deal he would sponsor me if I enrolled in College in the fall. Of course I jumped at the chance won the bike and gave the bike to my girl and those were some of the best times and Mom and Dad went to the races.

Turned out by sheer luck they had an A&P course and that turned out to be a blessing as I was not cutout for typical College courses.

Dad and I didn't have the greatest relationship growing up as he was non-existent. When I moved to AZ I would come to visit and it grew stronger as he got older. Unlike my brother who lived in SoCal and NEVER visited my parents, everytime I saw them I cherished those times and thanked them many times for the beautiful home, surrounding areas and for bribing me to go to College.
We were very close to the end and I miss them both as I am here now.
Right on G-man. Wasn’t exactly “Fathers know best” at my place either. Parents divorced from each other twice, once while i was 6 and then again at 16, so needless to say i have issues. 😂.

Regardless we have survived and like you over time we have gotten closer.

Happy your all good and moto on my friend.

Post a reply to: Old memories

The Latest