Old legends, Modern bikes

Edited Date/Time 8/29/2014 11:54am
How do you think these old legends, guys like bob hannah would do on a 2014 bike? how would he compare to the field of today? and what i mean is him in his prime except on a modern bike. not him on a modern bike now lol

Lets hear some opinions!!!
|
hvaughn88
8/27/2014 11:29am
I really have no idea. I bet we can agree how Bob Hannah thinks Bob Hannah would do, though! Love me some Bob Hannah, that dude seems like he really does not give a damn about what anyone else thinks.
8/27/2014 11:38am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2014 11:48am
Is this the same Hannah that if spelt his name backwards it would be...
Hannah Bob...
8/27/2014 11:46am
Is this the same Hannah that if spelt his name backwards it would be...
Hannah Bob...
No, we're talking about the mx'er Bob Hannah. He's in your sig for crying out loud.
KMC440
8/27/2014 11:58am
Bob Hannah doesn't like his name being used ever. I would beg his forgiveness or suffer the fate of many lost souls at the wrong end of Bob Hannah's handlebars.
He once pulled a holeshot that briefly stopped the earths rotation.

The Shop

newmann
8/27/2014 11:59am
To the field of what ? Current pros? There are a few of the 70-80's pros who still ride regularly and they go extremely well. I don't know that they would be making the fast 40 on raceday, but I would bet guys like Danny LaPorte could kick the majority of ass that posts here. Did you catch the videos of the 100 class from Diamond Dons this year?
8/27/2014 12:03pm
newmann wrote:
To the field of what ? Current pros? There are a few of the 70-80's pros who still ride regularly and they go extremely well. I...
To the field of what ? Current pros? There are a few of the 70-80's pros who still ride regularly and they go extremely well. I don't know that they would be making the fast 40 on raceday, but I would bet guys like Danny LaPorte could kick the majority of ass that posts here. Did you catch the videos of the 100 class from Diamond Dons this year?
I said im not talking about if there still going right now on a modern bike. Im saying take hannah, in his prime, and put him on a modern bike like what stewart is riding and throw him into todays current field of pros. At his speed in his prime on the same equiptment how do you think he would do
dynohut
8/27/2014 12:04pm
Hannah would whip their ASS, just like RD, Mikkola, Bailey and the rest. There is something to be said about people in life that just will not accept 2nd place when the gate drops
Uncle Tony
8/27/2014 12:08pm
I know they wouldn't let a European win a u.s. title, and this is coming from a ken roczen fan
8/27/2014 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2014 12:17pm
^^^^
so then..who were these karsmakers and bayle fellows...
mgifracing
Fantasy
346th
8/27/2014 1:29pm
I think they would rise to the top just like they did in their era's. I would love to see Rick Johnson in is prime go against RV. That wouldv'e been epic.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
8/27/2014 1:45pm
It's always fun to bench race, but if you took any of the old riders in their prime, none of them could scrub like today's riders- it simply wasn't a developed skill like it is today. Conversely, today's riders would destroy the old bikes- and you have to finish the race in order to win it.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
8/27/2014 2:00pm
Riding styles and techniques have advanced just as much as bikes in that period of time. Bob Hannah's riding style from back in the day IN MY OPINION wouldnt hold up against the guys today. Thats kinda how evolution works i guess. Thats not to say that given the same opportunities to learn and develop the skills that they couldnt do it. Talent is talent, its the polish they would be lacking.
mrquick
8/27/2014 4:32pm
They would probably be a lot faster on modern bikes. Turn it around and ask how todays top pros would do on the
old bikes of yesteryear.
8/27/2014 4:44pm
The stars of the 80's wouldnt fair so well today.
Even in theyre prime on modern bikes.

Humans have a natural progression, todays athletes are stronger, quicker, faster and more aggressive than they were 30 years ago..
Just like s baseball pitcher's fast ball was somewhere in the low 90's(average) of course there were exceptions, but that was average. And todays average fastball speed is upper 90's and low 100's.
Just like olympic runners in the 1980's top speed was in the high teens to low 20's, now theyre mid to upper 20's.

Threres always exceptional people that stand out, but on the average todays athletes are better in almost every way.

Put the top riders of 86, against the top riders of today and theyed get smoked, just like the riders 25 years from now would smoke todays stars in thiere prime..
rmpilot
8/27/2014 4:53pm
Pitch speed has a lot more to do with the mentality I believe. The pitchers are going all out instead of working to get a complete game. The rotation has to 5 men trying to get maybe 6 innings versus 4 man rotations averaging 8 innings a start. The pitchers are also not looking for control as much anymore. They try to blow it past the batters versus paint the corners or working specific areas of the strike zone. The quality of pitching has went significantly down.
bd
8/27/2014 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2014 9:54pm
Hannah's a bad ass and one of best ever - only modern bike you will see him on is a road bicycle.

If Hannah (as would Decoster, Johnson, Bailey, McGrath, RC, Stew) were 24 years old (prime of career) today racing moto, you could bet your ass he would be racing for titles.
downard254
8/27/2014 5:34pm
If Hannah was 16-18 years old in 2011-2013 he would have grown up in the era of scrubs and big jumps. That being said, he would still have kicked everyone's ass as he hated to lose more than he loved to win. He would have destroyed all comers or rammed them to win.

Oh, IMHO.
8/27/2014 5:59pm
rmpilot wrote:
Pitch speed has a lot more to do with the mentality I believe. The pitchers are going all out instead of working to get a complete...
Pitch speed has a lot more to do with the mentality I believe. The pitchers are going all out instead of working to get a complete game. The rotation has to 5 men trying to get maybe 6 innings versus 4 man rotations averaging 8 innings a start. The pitchers are also not looking for control as much anymore. They try to blow it past the batters versus paint the corners or working specific areas of the strike zone. The quality of pitching has went significantly down.
I'll take your word on it regarding the mechanics of the pitching, but i watch cardinals baseball every night practically and most of the time the starting pitcher goes to the 7th, and sometimes 8th inning, then a setup pitcher for the closer or just the closer to finish the game.

Ive rarely seen it take 5 pitchers to get thru a game. It happens but not often.

I do think training techniques and more advanced equipment play a small part but its mostly the evolution of the athalete..
newmann
8/27/2014 6:47pm
newmann wrote:
To the field of what ? Current pros? There are a few of the 70-80's pros who still ride regularly and they go extremely well. I...
I said im not talking about if there still going right now on a modern bike. Im saying take hannah, in his prime, and put him...
I said im not talking about if there still going right now on a modern bike. Im saying take hannah, in his prime, and put him on a modern bike like what stewart is riding and throw him into todays current field of pros. At his speed in his prime on the same equiptment how do you think he would do
Well I guess I should have just chimed in and told you to use the search function as this topic comes up every few months.

But, since we are talking about Bob F'n Hannah here let me just state the obvious that he would kick every ones ass. He kicked ass on some of the worst handling, underpowered and overweight pigs of bikes that were available and we are talking works bikes. 40 pounds heavier than the competition that tub o shit Yamaha was.

After kicking all of their asses he would turn to James Stewart and say,what the f' are you wearing?

Then he would turn to the Monster girls and ask, who's first?

h&m_cycle
8/27/2014 9:43pm
mrquick wrote:
They would probably be a lot faster on modern bikes. Turn it around and ask how todays top pros would do on the old bikes of...
They would probably be a lot faster on modern bikes. Turn it around and ask how todays top pros would do on the
old bikes of yesteryear.
agreed, some of these top guys would not even race for that kind of money they got paid back then
how far we going back? let's see a scrub on a bike with points.
how about the Red Bud leap on a 501 maico?

how about Travis #199 trying a back flip on one of Evil's old bikes xr750
those guys rode those bikes right to the limit, they were faster then the bikes were capable of going.
h&m_cycle
8/27/2014 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2014 10:16pm
The stars of the 80's wouldnt fair so well today. Even in theyre prime on modern bikes. Humans have a natural progression, todays athletes are stronger...

Humans have a natural progression, todays athletes are stronger, quicker, faster and more aggressive than they were 30 years ago..
Just like s baseball pitcher's fast ball was somewhere in the low 90's(average) of course there were exceptions, but that was average. And todays average fastball speed is upper 90's and low 100's.
Just like olympic runners in the 1980's top speed was in the high teens to low 20's, now theyre mid to upper 20's.

Threres always exceptional people that stand out, but on the average todays athletes are better in almost every way.

Put the top riders of 86, against the top riders of today and theyed get smoked, just like the riders 25 years from now would smoke todays stars in thiere prime..
yeah right, Marty Smith would bitch slap some of these guys, saw him on 125's, (I'm 51), he would haul.

Marty the bionic man, baseball? upper 90's/100 rare still. some closers

Deluxe
8/28/2014 2:33am
Magoo on a modern bike would be awesome to see! the factory suspension around now would let him go so much bigger and harder, RIP buddy
hvaughn88
8/28/2014 3:34am
If you're young, you say they wouldn't hang. If you're old, you say they would mop the floor with them.
Vet57
8/28/2014 4:04am
Bob would win on this...

Crush
8/28/2014 4:18am
The generational thing is so hard to answer.

The only consistent fact is that they grew up riding and racing the types of bikes that were current for the time and that the skill base and expectations were governed by what was the norm then.

ie, if You got Bob at 23, stuck him right now on the gate, straight from Marty McFly's Delorian, he's fucked. You get him at 11 and grow up training with Adam Cianciurulo a few years back, we get to see Bucky go again.
wreckitrandy
8/28/2014 6:05am
hvaughn88 wrote:
If you're young, you say they wouldn't hang. If you're old, you say they would mop the floor with them.
Obviously..... Still, if you're as old as me and have seen them all race, you've at least got some perspective. If Hannah were racing today, he probably wouldn't win...... The tracks are too groomed. The races are too short. Could he have made allowances for these conditions and current techniques? Maybe. But I doubt it. Now, if you took any of todays top riders back to his time, on his bikes and tracks for 40+2, he would hand them their behinds. DeCoster, Mikkola,,,, same deal. Those guys rode their bikes as fast as was humanly possible. Believe it.
hellion
8/28/2014 6:25am
Crush wrote:
The generational thing is so hard to answer. The only consistent fact is that they grew up riding and racing the types of bikes that were...
The generational thing is so hard to answer.

The only consistent fact is that they grew up riding and racing the types of bikes that were current for the time and that the skill base and expectations were governed by what was the norm then.

ie, if You got Bob at 23, stuck him right now on the gate, straight from Marty McFly's Delorian, he's fucked. You get him at 11 and grow up training with Adam Cianciurulo a few years back, we get to see Bucky go again.
If you're trying to say that modern training is that much better I have to disagree. There was a period in the nineties where the training was lacking. That makes everyone assume that RC invented working hard and training smart. If you look back further, Hannah, the Bomber, Bailey, O'Show, Wardy, RJ etc. were equal to anyone around today. And they raced forty plus two on what today's riders would call a swing set.
8/28/2014 6:47am
The stars of the 80's wouldnt fair so well today. Even in theyre prime on modern bikes. Humans have a natural progression, todays athletes are stronger...

h&m_cycle wrote:
yeah right, Marty Smith would bitch slap some of these guys, saw him on 125's, (I'm 51), he would haul. Marty the bionic man, baseball? upper...
yeah right, Marty Smith would bitch slap some of these guys, saw him on 125's, (I'm 51), he would haul.

He definately looks like he can scrap, and he probably could beat alot of guys today on modern bikes in his prime. But i dont see him beating the top guys of today..
He's awsome looking for sure..
newmann
8/28/2014 7:47am
h&m_cycle wrote:
yeah right, Marty Smith would bitch slap some of these guys, saw him on 125's, (I'm 51), he would haul. Marty the bionic man, baseball? upper...

1975 and I'll bet he is every bit as fit as any of the top guys in the sport today. As many lappers as we have today at the Geico commercial makes me wonder how many could actually do a full 45 minute moto.

Post a reply to: Old legends, Modern bikes

The Latest