Old Factory Bikes

Edited Date/Time 7/6/2018 6:16am
Iv'e heard old factory bikes are stripped of their parts and they are destroyed or kept which I can believe since they are so special but I was wondering if some race teams actually sells their bikes after the season is over rather than ruining them and if so where they are marketed.
|
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
8/13/2017 4:11pm
From the 90's to mid 2000's I can say many were without VIN Numbers so they didn't exist. Thus, they must all be destroyed after use. I know of a team that used to take all race bikes, the motors mainly, put them on the dyno, take the oil out and then bet how long it would last.

The parts that weren't one off got used by team members or friends of the team. But thats just seats and stuff. You want to know what happened to the Trick stuff. All gone.

nytsmaC
8/13/2017 4:30pm
I heard they got smashed up with sledgehammers in some warehouse parking lot in Illinois.
DPR250R
8/13/2017 4:40pm
I have heard 125's from 1987 make more power than the factory 250Fs of today.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
8/13/2017 4:54pm
I've heard there might be a few stashed ina garage in Texas.

The Shop

RandyS
8/13/2017 4:57pm
Tiki wrote:
From the 90's to mid 2000's I can say many were without VIN Numbers so they didn't exist. Thus, they must all be destroyed after use...
From the 90's to mid 2000's I can say many were without VIN Numbers so they didn't exist. Thus, they must all be destroyed after use. I know of a team that used to take all race bikes, the motors mainly, put them on the dyno, take the oil out and then bet how long it would last.

The parts that weren't one off got used by team members or friends of the team. But thats just seats and stuff. You want to know what happened to the Trick stuff. All gone.

I had an RM125 in the mid 90s that had a bunch of Damon Huffman parts on it. Nothing overly trick, just basic stuff. It came via the factory through a Dirt Bike test rider.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
8/13/2017 5:19pm
Tiki wrote:
From the 90's to mid 2000's I can say many were without VIN Numbers so they didn't exist. Thus, they must all be destroyed after use...

RandyS wrote:
I had an RM125 in the mid 90s that had a bunch of Damon Huffman parts on it. Nothing overly trick, just basic stuff. It came...
I had an RM125 in the mid 90s that had a bunch of Damon Huffman parts on it. Nothing overly trick, just basic stuff. It came via the factory through a Dirt Bike test rider.
Just out of curiosity? Carb had no choke? Your frame had VIN Numbers? or No?
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
8/13/2017 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2017 5:27pm
Tiki wrote:
No vin o
No vin on this frame and no choke on the carb it's sand cast. The deal with the no vin isn't such a big deal as everyone thinks. If you order a frame from the manufacturer it's not gonna come with a vin. A lot of the vin numbers got reassigned to the next frame in which usually got swapped out every 4 races. The key to the frame is if it has all the gussets and welds. Now back before the production rule those frames were one from hand made frames. Most of the stuff 20 years old to us now days were stock frames but tug welded, gusseted and tabes all welded in.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
8/13/2017 5:50pm
You cant tease us with that small photo. Lets see the rest of the bike. It looks well cared for.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
8/13/2017 6:06pm
It's innthe build section
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
8/13/2017 6:07pm
Although not from a factory team at the time but still a very tricked out bike . I bought this from the BBMX / BTO team a few years ago

markit
8/13/2017 7:11pm
I had a 99 PC yzf 400. Stock engine put back in but had the a kit stuff.
drop_bear
Fantasy
1711th
8/13/2017 7:18pm
I'd love to see the pile of factory bikes and parts supposedly buried in Carmichael's back yard, would be super cool just to sort through it all.
8/13/2017 7:19pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Although not from a factory team at the time but still a very tricked out bike . I bought this from the BBMX / BTO team...
Although not from a factory team at the time but still a very tricked out bike . I bought this from the BBMX / BTO team a few years ago

You're the only human alive whose phone isn't almost dead in a pic lol.
RandyS
8/13/2017 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2017 7:30pm
Tiki wrote:

RandyS wrote:
I had an RM125 in the mid 90s that had a bunch of Damon Huffman parts on it. Nothing overly trick, just basic stuff. It came...
Tiki wrote:
I had a green sticker on it so I'm sure it was just a stock frame. Seatpan, cylinder, carb, and I think the shock had Huffman or some other markings on it in sharpie. It wasn't anything special, I think it was just pieced together from the race shop, seems like I had some paperwork from Suzuki to get it registered. Don't know what the internals were like but it was just stock suspension on the outside. Don't remember on the carb.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
8/13/2017 7:35pm
There is a pit at Ricky's that has a bunch of rusted, unusable parts.
newmann
8/13/2017 7:59pm
There's a lot of stuff out there. I have read that after the nationals and GP's a lot of stuff was shipped to Australia for the Mr. Motocross Series. By the time that was over with a lot of it was used up and left at the distributors instead of being returned. Any Aussies confirm? I do know there are a quite a few works bikes in Australia.

Loads upon loads of works bike and parts from the real days of works bikes scattered all across Europe. Many complete race bikes and many pieced together from spares that were to be discarded throughout the season. One guy in Holland has a collection of works Yamaha's that will make your head spin.

Here in the states they pop up for sale from time to time. Some were given to riders as practice bikes and never asked to be returned since they were just "practice bikes". Some had their engines gutted and given as trophies for winning championships. Some were sent out to have mods done and abandoned when a new run of bikes showed up for the team. Some ended up in salvage yards in SoCal where they were found many years later and restored.

motogrady
8/13/2017 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2017 8:55pm

Used to be they crushed them after the seasons end so nobody saw the secrets.
But like Newman said, stuff gets lost. And found.

There's a few good stories on that guy, what's his name, Terry's website. How he found and how his works bike collection came about.
A top dealer gets a Championship bike for a promotion, they forget to take it back.
The guy tasked with taking the bikes to the crusher stops by the mini storage place and drops a bike or 2 off, for retirement money later on.
I heard Harly Davidson made 1000 of those orange motocrossers back in the day, and crushed 500 of them for the tax write off when they didn't sell.

But nowadays, seems to me the stock stuff, especially the KTMs, are close enough that it's possible to to get a stock bike real close to what a factory team is running.
And when a team actually does sell a few off, they're stripped of all the good stuff, and are basically clapped out beaters.
Helder
8/14/2017 2:24am
I have to follow this post to see more factory goodness come out.
newmann
8/14/2017 4:13am
Works bikes were all about the details. No brake stay arm, sand cast magnesium backing plate with titanium pivot, drilled brake actuating arm, quick release brake rod, Ti chain adjuster blocks and bolts, alloy swing arm. That's just in one little photo. Best part, aside from fresh paint on the swing arm, that's all original and unrestored. Yeah, even the sprocket bolts, never had a wrench on them since first assembled .

Bearuno
8/14/2017 4:26am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 4:30am
newmann wrote:
There's a lot of stuff out there. I have read that after the nationals and GP's a lot of stuff was shipped to Australia for the...
There's a lot of stuff out there. I have read that after the nationals and GP's a lot of stuff was shipped to Australia for the Mr. Motocross Series. By the time that was over with a lot of it was used up and left at the distributors instead of being returned. Any Aussies confirm? I do know there are a quite a few works bikes in Australia.

Loads upon loads of works bike and parts from the real days of works bikes scattered all across Europe. Many complete race bikes and many pieced together from spares that were to be discarded throughout the season. One guy in Holland has a collection of works Yamaha's that will make your head spin.

Here in the states they pop up for sale from time to time. Some were given to riders as practice bikes and never asked to be returned since they were just "practice bikes". Some had their engines gutted and given as trophies for winning championships. Some were sent out to have mods done and abandoned when a new run of bikes showed up for the team. Some ended up in salvage yards in SoCal where they were found many years later and restored.

There"s Not a lot of Works Bikes here in Australia.

But, there have been a few - the strange thing is, when they were used, not much was made of them / 'fans' often just didn't know they were anything special.

But, that might come down to the general ignorance of spectators and magazines / journalists. Graeme Smythe, a Western Australian rider had a few Yamaha's and perhaps a Kawi or two - for some reason I associate him with a 70s Works Kawi - the one with the white tubular plastic upper fork protectors that made the forks look like USDs ( for a description that young people can relate to).

Steve Gall had a Works Bike (or two) for a short time,

. Anthony Gunter had Works Suzuki's a few times. Mike Landman, I think had Works Yamaha's a few times, Trevor Williams had use of some SR Kawis over the years.

Plenty of trick parts / semi works kit at times. Rinaldi kit stuff as an example. You'd see kit parts on Leisk:s and other Hondas. I'm sure plenty of SXS level KTM bikes and bits have arrived, and on and on and on.

My Dad and Uncle would get special Bultaco (the Floods had a quite a relationship with Bultaco and then KTM) and Montesa bits and bikes and also bought a few BSAs and then CCMs used by international riders after they,'d been here, as quite a few other people did. Hell, you could buy RH Suzukis ( they weren't the same as bikes in GPs, but they sure as hell weren't standard TMs) on special order in the 70s, much like how you could order TZs and Honda Road Racers from distributors. And, you could get things like HRC engine kits / parts under the same sort of programming, World wide. Never saw much made of things like that in US mags, but I guess that may be down to the aftermarket dominance of companies like PC and FMF.

But no, we aren't awash with Works Bikes.
8/14/2017 4:41am
I remember in the 90's I always thought the HRC clutch covers were so trick, still do actually. Really hard to get hold of but I do remember a guy had one at a club meeting I was at. Also the grey fork guards that the works Honda's used to use in the late 80's, early 90's, really wanted a set.
lapper
8/14/2017 10:28am
There's kind of an interesting story behind Kawasaki USA's new museum. Kawasaki did in fact destroy the old factory race bikes. Apparently it was due to tax reasons. It was Norm Bigelow's job to dispose of them, but he just couldn't bring himself to crush some of them. He began hiding them away throughout Kawasaki's warehouse. In 2011 Kawasaki approved the budget for a small museum at their new HQ. Norm was no longer a Kawasaki employee, but he came back as a volunteer and showed them his various hiding spots. Jeff Ward's, Mike LaRocco's, RC's and JS7(259?)'s championship bikes are just a few that are now on display thanks to Norm not doing his job. The guy should be given a medal. Kawasaki Heritage Hall Museum
crc245
8/14/2017 12:32pm
lapper wrote:
There's kind of an interesting story behind Kawasaki USA's new museum. Kawasaki did in fact destroy the old factory race bikes. Apparently it was due to...
There's kind of an interesting story behind Kawasaki USA's new museum. Kawasaki did in fact destroy the old factory race bikes. Apparently it was due to tax reasons. It was Norm Bigelow's job to dispose of them, but he just couldn't bring himself to crush some of them. He began hiding them away throughout Kawasaki's warehouse. In 2011 Kawasaki approved the budget for a small museum at their new HQ. Norm was no longer a Kawasaki employee, but he came back as a volunteer and showed them his various hiding spots. Jeff Ward's, Mike LaRocco's, RC's and JS7(259?)'s championship bikes are just a few that are now on display thanks to Norm not doing his job. The guy should be given a medal. Kawasaki Heritage Hall Museum
Great read! Thanks for sharing Cool
doofy
8/14/2017 10:51pm
I didnt beleive it, but i have heard it more than once - on the pulpmx show matthes was talking about someone i think possibly rc having a literal suzuki graveyard in their back yard - literally just burying old bikes.

Im fuzzy on the details can someone correct me on this?
8/14/2017 10:53pm
doofy wrote:
I didnt beleive it, but i have heard it more than once - on the pulpmx show matthes was talking about someone i think possibly rc...
I didnt beleive it, but i have heard it more than once - on the pulpmx show matthes was talking about someone i think possibly rc having a literal suzuki graveyard in their back yard - literally just burying old bikes.

Im fuzzy on the details can someone correct me on this?
Yeah it's true, MXA did an article on it.
ehr400
8/15/2017 4:33am
OR Racer46 wrote:
Although not from a factory team at the time but still a very tricked out bike . I bought this from the BBMX / BTO team...

I had one also, was a excaellent bike and had all kinds of nice parts on it. Mine came with Dunlop MX71's that were for the race teams. Didnt know that except they lasted 2 rides and had unreal traction, then fell apart. I showed Clark Stiles and he was like where did you get these Lol, you cant buy them.

@lips395
7/6/2018 3:55am
I was hoping this post would go longer love reading about this stuff
I bet plenty of amazing bikes are still out and about hidden or forgotten about from riders and mechanics
rongi#401
7/6/2018 4:15am
Got a few YOT bikes in 05/06, basically stock with a pipe and whatever plastics kits were on it

Post a reply to: Old Factory Bikes

The Latest