Ok.... can we go to a full season of Triple Crowns already?

downard254
1/20/2019 3:42pm
downard254 wrote:
Just had a thought here guys, but we know how difficult it must be to win all three in a night, so what if they offer...
Just had a thought here guys, but we know how difficult it must be to win all three in a night, so what if they offer bonus points for a sweep. Maybe 10-15 points. That might make things a little more interesting.
agn5009 wrote:
10-15 points for a sweep?? Holy crap that would be ridiculous. Maybe 3 points max.
Well 10 then. Who’s Gonig to push it for 3 extra points. 10 points though, do you think Cooper Webb may have pushed a little harder to get an extra 10? What are the odds on a 3win sweep.
agn5009
1/20/2019 3:52pm
downard254 wrote:
Just had a thought here guys, but we know how difficult it must be to win all three in a night, so what if they offer...
Just had a thought here guys, but we know how difficult it must be to win all three in a night, so what if they offer bonus points for a sweep. Maybe 10-15 points. That might make things a little more interesting.
agn5009 wrote:
10-15 points for a sweep?? Holy crap that would be ridiculous. Maybe 3 points max.
downard254 wrote:
Well 10 then. Who’s Gonig to push it for 3 extra points. 10 points though, do you think Cooper Webb may have pushed a little harder...
Well 10 then. Who’s Gonig to push it for 3 extra points. 10 points though, do you think Cooper Webb may have pushed a little harder to get an extra 10? What are the odds on a 3win sweep.
10 is excessive. It would never happen.
jonesaustin
1/20/2019 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 4:03pm
I still don't understand how the points rack up, but the overall should be an overall.
Ted722
1/20/2019 4:10pm
Gate picks are based on qualifying for the 1st moto of a Triple Crown. How about the 2nd and 3rd moto of a Triple Crown?

The Shop

mx617
1/20/2019 4:14pm
Ted722 wrote:
Gate picks are based on qualifying for the 1st moto of a Triple Crown. How about the 2nd and 3rd moto of a Triple Crown?
Previous moto finishes
kage173
1/20/2019 4:24pm
I like them a lot. But 3 is good for me
FIREfish148
1/20/2019 4:30pm
I would be interested to get some candid opinions of what the riders think about it. I personally like the marathon mains and the heat racing leading up to it. Triple crown is cool for 3 rounds though. Some of the best races I've ever seen were come from behind races, and that is not possible with the short races.
OR116
1/20/2019 4:45pm
If the sport wants new viewers then the triple crown firmat should be every race. Much more exciting.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/20/2019 5:13pm
I think it's okay as a once-in-a-while thing. I'm not sure I'm ready for it to be the format of the future.
1/20/2019 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 5:41pm
Fuck to the no Might as well cancel privateers forever. Send El Chupacabra packing too. It's just too frantic, too stressful, and too confusing in the...
Fuck to the no

Might as well cancel privateers forever. Send El Chupacabra packing too.

It's just too frantic, too stressful, and too confusing in the long haul. It's like cayenne pepper: a pinch is exciting, but that doesnt mean you want to pour the whole bottle down your throat.
Agreed, too hectic, no flow. Dont dig them!
1/20/2019 5:28pm
toroP wrote:
Don’t like it. Last race of the night was a snooze. Webb riding around in 3rd to take the win. Lame. Zero urgency. Think of how...
Don’t like it.
Last race of the night was a snooze.
Webb riding around in 3rd to take the win. Lame. Zero urgency.
Think of how good the first two rounds were.
X2
1/20/2019 5:39pm
OR116 wrote:
If the sport wants new viewers then the triple crown firmat should be every race. Much more exciting.
I took my non fan sister and brother in law to ATL last year and they were thoroghly confused. "Is this the main, how many more races, who is winning, etc". It was hard to enjoy the race and explain the chaotic format.
barnett468
1/20/2019 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 7:40pm
This triple crown crap is by far the lamest thing i have ever seen, and one of the worst things that can happen in this sport, so 3 is by far more than enough for me.

DPR250R
1/20/2019 7:35pm
I took my non fan sister and brother in law to ATL last year and they were thoroghly confused. "Is this the main, how many more...
I took my non fan sister and brother in law to ATL last year and they were thoroghly confused. "Is this the main, how many more races, who is winning, etc". It was hard to enjoy the race and explain the chaotic format.
It's the same with qualifiers / heats / LCQ's to non-fans.
mx617
1/20/2019 11:00pm
I took my non fan sister and brother in law to ATL last year and they were thoroghly confused. "Is this the main, how many more...
DPR250R wrote:
I think that's a much more common racing format. Sprints do it, Olympics do it, etc etc. Can't be that hard to understand for anyone who's ever watched any sort of racing ever.
Motofinne
1/21/2019 1:34am
I would be ok with 5 of these but not more. I still think that dividing one big final to three smaller ones takes away from the prestige of winning a main event. As a spectator i see these mains as heat races that eventually can provide a rider an overall win if he is consistent enough.

The change to 3x10min and 3x12min format was a good thing compared to last year.
ipbrew
1/21/2019 3:51am
MxKing809 wrote:
I would be all for 17 rounds of this. Great TV cadence, phenomenal racing, and 2/3 of the night isn’t watching guys who won’t qualify for...
I would be all for 17 rounds of this.

Great TV cadence, phenomenal racing, and 2/3 of the night isn’t watching guys who won’t qualify for the main.

Can we just put a stake through the heart of motocross already so you can comfortably sit in the stands, drink overpriced beer and hoover meat tubes in comfort. Good luck winning another MXDN - but who cares, eh! The 3 race format is designed to level the playing field which in turn gives the cream less of a chance to rise to the top.
1/21/2019 5:03am
DPR250R wrote:
Yeah, but at least you have the build up to the main. No big finale with the TC format, gives me blue balz!
DPR250R
1/21/2019 5:41am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 8:52am
Yeah, but at least you have the build up to the main. No big finale with the TC format, gives me blue balz!
You are right.. it can def lead to a snoozer of a finale for the night. However, lets not forget about the runaway mains. Sitting there all night to watch one boring main event.

Neither format is perfect but, given the sample I have seen so far, I prefer the triple crown.

Now, if there was sooooo much talent that many of the tops guys barely made it to the main week to week... then I would be all in for heats/semis.
Ted722
1/21/2019 7:19am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 7:21am
Somehow make the 3rd moto(main) worth more. You still get points for the 1st and 2nd moto's, but make the 3rd worth more. I know it's Olympic style, but put a little more on the table (in the 3rd main) for the riders to shoot for.
barnett468
1/21/2019 7:36am
ipbrew wrote:
Can we just put a stake through the heart of motocross already so you can comfortably sit in the stands, drink overpriced beer and hoover meat...
Can we just put a stake through the heart of motocross already so you can comfortably sit in the stands, drink overpriced beer and hoover meat tubes in comfort. Good luck winning another MXDN - but who cares, eh! The 3 race format is designed to level the playing field which in turn gives the cream less of a chance to rise to the top.
"The 3 race format is designed to level the playing field which in turn gives the cream less of a chance to rise to the top."

Wow, you are incredibly clueless.
Sir
1/21/2019 7:40am
JJO741 wrote:
I like it better. Every race matters and it shakes things up.
mx617 wrote:
So coop settling in to 3rd was exciting? The entire last race is almost always a snooze Fest. First two are entertainin usually. Exception as always...
So coop settling in to 3rd was exciting? The entire last race is almost always a snooze Fest. First two are entertainin usually. Exception as always is the 250s, somehow they almost always produce better individual races, while the 450s ( maybe) have a more interesting championship battle.
It's the Olympic scoring system they have in place that is responsible for this continuing problem of the rider in contention of taking the overall doing just enough and no more in the 3rd race. Award points as they would during a normal supercross round for each race and the problem would be fixed.

Olympic scoring works for the MXdN because you have two riders of the same team competing in each race so there is a bit more of a variable and chance to make a difference right to the end.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
1/21/2019 8:13am
I think 3 heats each class and get rid of the LCQs
Like Snocross? Because that sport is flourishing...Huh
1st Round of heats: Heat 1 and 2?
2nd Round of heats: heat 1 and 2?

Your logic sounds like the current format, 2 Heats + a 3rd heat aka "LCQ"

yz133rider
1/21/2019 8:22am
I think 3 heats each class and get rid of the LCQs
nrosso391 wrote:
Like Snocross? Because that sport is flourishing...:huh: 1st Round of heats: Heat 1 and 2? 2nd Round of heats: heat 1 and 2? Your logic sounds...
Like Snocross? Because that sport is flourishing...Huh
1st Round of heats: Heat 1 and 2?
2nd Round of heats: heat 1 and 2?

Your logic sounds like the current format, 2 Heats + a 3rd heat aka "LCQ"

No please no more heats and lcqs goodness
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/21/2019 8:28am
When you realize that 2.5hrs of foreplay includes dinner, drinks, and hitting up her favorite bar for a nightcap before getting home you'll understand the value...
When you realize that 2.5hrs of foreplay includes dinner, drinks, and hitting up her favorite bar for a nightcap before getting home you'll understand the value of foreplay.
Sounds like a lot of work when you can instead get straight to business and do it 3 times in one night! Laughing
1/21/2019 9:05am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 9:15am
Said it last year and I’ll say it this year. Triple Crown is fucking without foreplay. Fun from time to time but not nearly as rewarding...
Said it last year and I’ll say it this year.

Triple Crown is fucking without foreplay. Fun from time to time but not nearly as rewarding over the long haul.
Exactly.

Imagine watching a movie that literally starts at the climax. You are immediately bombarded with continuous sick action scenes for 2 hours. You don't know the characters: who's fighting whom, or even why they are fighting. You just watch them grapple for guns, crash cars, and do kung-fu chops 10 feet in the air, then it quickly ends with the winner smoking in bed between two hot naked chicks.

Sounds pretty awesome, right? It's fun to watch on a surface level. But ultimately it's forgettable, and actually pretty boring if you don't know WHY the action is happening. If there is zero PLOT.

Similarly, The Heat-LCQ-Main format is not just about "watching dudes race." It's a storyline where the "who will make the cut" heats/LCQs build up to a climax, the Main Events, where we watch the best SX racers from all over the country and world do battle. How do you know they're "the best"? Because we've literally watched them battle for that coveted spot in the Main!

Meeting the cast of characters as they battle for Main Event gate picks is just as important. What is an Enticknap, or a Catanzaro, and why would it be so cool if they made this main? What are their stories? Why do they matter? All this exposition is erased in the Triple Crown format.

Sure, you can watch qualifying/LCQs on RDLive. But it doesn't have the same intensity as it does when it's part of the night show - and the average viewer doesnt watch that stuff, anyway.

Three Triple Crowns a season is plenty. Any more, and we literally risk losing the plot of the sport.
yz133rider
1/21/2019 9:15am
Said it last year and I’ll say it this year. Triple Crown is fucking without foreplay. Fun from time to time but not nearly as rewarding...

Triple Crown is fucking without foreplay. Fun from time to time but not nearly as rewarding over the long haul.
Exactly. Imagine watching a movie that literally starts at the climax. You are immediately bombarded with continuous sick action scenes for 2 hours. You don't know...
Exactly.

Imagine watching a movie that literally starts at the climax. You are immediately bombarded with continuous sick action scenes for 2 hours. You don't know the characters: who's fighting whom, or even why they are fighting. You just watch them grapple for guns, crash cars, and do kung-fu chops 10 feet in the air, then it quickly ends with the winner smoking in bed between two hot naked chicks.

Sounds pretty awesome, right? It's fun to watch on a surface level. But ultimately it's forgettable, and actually pretty boring if you don't know WHY the action is happening. If there is zero PLOT.

Similarly, The Heat-LCQ-Main format is not just about "watching dudes race." It's a storyline where the "who will make the cut" heats/LCQs build up to a climax, the Main Events, where we watch the best SX racers from all over the country and world do battle. How do you know they're "the best"? Because we've literally watched them battle for that coveted spot in the Main!

Meeting the cast of characters as they battle for Main Event gate picks is just as important. What is an Enticknap, or a Catanzaro, and why would it be so cool if they made this main? What are their stories? Why do they matter? All this exposition is erased in the Triple Crown format.

Sure, you can watch qualifying/LCQs on RDLive. But it doesn't have the same intensity as it does when it's part of the night show - and the average viewer doesnt watch that stuff, anyway.

Three Triple Crowns a season is plenty. Any more, and we literally risk losing the plot of the sport.
Goodness i see what your saying but this isnt a novel, or drama film, its racing. Lets skip the gate pick races. Thanks.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/21/2019 9:27am
MxKing809 wrote:
I would be all for 17 rounds of this. Great TV cadence, phenomenal racing, and 2/3 of the night isn’t watching guys who won’t qualify for...
I would be all for 17 rounds of this.

Great TV cadence, phenomenal racing, and 2/3 of the night isn’t watching guys who won’t qualify for the main.

Yeah, but 5/6ths of the night isn't watching anything but commercials. I was 1:17 in before I saw the third race of the night.

I voted get off my lawn. No Triple Crown at all. Trying all these idiotic new formats to make supercross more exciting is like trying to make sex more exciting. Some nights it's good, some nights it's below average, and some nights it's mind-blowing. You can't artificially manufacture that, however, in either endeavor.

1/21/2019 9:34am

Exactly. Imagine watching a movie that literally starts at the climax. You are immediately bombarded with continuous sick action scenes for 2 hours. You don't know...
Exactly.

yz133rider wrote:
Goodness i see what your saying but this isnt a novel, or drama film, its racing. Lets skip the gate pick races. Thanks.
...And lose the significance of moments like these?

early
Fantasy
2231st
1/21/2019 9:38am
Exactly.

There's hardly any drama about who is getting into the mains unless you play pulpfantasy and your team is hinging on high handicap privateers. If there were 30 factory riders battling for 22 spots that would really be something. As it stands the semis don't have much entertainment value. The lcqs are good because those guys are not as good so make alot more mistakes than the top guys, but alot of people don't care to watch them because they don't know any of the names in the race.

Post a reply to: Ok.... can we go to a full season of Triple Crowns already?

The Latest