Oj=torn achiiles

Mx391
Edited Date/Time 12/3/2020 5:52pm
Over jumped a little double and tore my achilles in half. 3 months in and it’s a lot better but still far from good. Who’s had experience with this? How long was recovery? Any exercises to do to loosen it up?
|
Markopolo400
12/1/2020 11:22am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2020 11:24am
I ruptured mine back at the end of September, same thing, bigggg OJ. I had surgery a week later, 6 weeks non weight bearing in a boot with wedges, and every few weeks a wedge came out till my foot was at 90 in the boot. Then 3-4 more weeks walking in the boot.

I am now 10 weeks post surgery, and I sought out the best sports med PT I could find as soon as I was stitched up, I'm on week 6 of PT, started off doing basic movement of my foot without stretching it. Lots of blood flow restriction movements, non weighted seated calf raises, theraband toe curls till my eyes fall out. Finally as of yesterday I am back in shoes with a heel wedge for the foreseeable future. Finding a good PT was the best thing I've done, my ankle feels really really good, just have to be cautious up to the 16wk mark to prevent stretching the tendon.

Small chance of riding again at 6mo, but more than likely longer than that, PT says will be up to a year before I am "normal". Look for some of the interviews like SML did with Max Anstie, I actually messaged him on IG for a bit after I did mine since he has come back from the same thing, and asked for tips/his experience.

One of the worst injuries I have ever had, definitely took a toll on me mentally, but I can finally see a tiny spec of light at the end of the tunnel.

PS, no proof it helped, but my PT recommended taking supplemental Collagen protein (What tendons are made of) so I have been doing that since right after surgery too.
Mx391
12/1/2020 11:32am
I ruptured mine back at the end of September, same thing, bigggg OJ. I had surgery a week later, 6 weeks non weight bearing in a...
I ruptured mine back at the end of September, same thing, bigggg OJ. I had surgery a week later, 6 weeks non weight bearing in a boot with wedges, and every few weeks a wedge came out till my foot was at 90 in the boot. Then 3-4 more weeks walking in the boot.

I am now 10 weeks post surgery, and I sought out the best sports med PT I could find as soon as I was stitched up, I'm on week 6 of PT, started off doing basic movement of my foot without stretching it. Lots of blood flow restriction movements, non weighted seated calf raises, theraband toe curls till my eyes fall out. Finally as of yesterday I am back in shoes with a heel wedge for the foreseeable future. Finding a good PT was the best thing I've done, my ankle feels really really good, just have to be cautious up to the 16wk mark to prevent stretching the tendon.

Small chance of riding again at 6mo, but more than likely longer than that, PT says will be up to a year before I am "normal". Look for some of the interviews like SML did with Max Anstie, I actually messaged him on IG for a bit after I did mine since he has come back from the same thing, and asked for tips/his experience.

One of the worst injuries I have ever had, definitely took a toll on me mentally, but I can finally see a tiny spec of light at the end of the tunnel.

PS, no proof it helped, but my PT recommended taking supplemental Collagen protein (What tendons are made of) so I have been doing that since right after surgery too.
Awesome thanks for the info! My resting tension has been perfect since day 1 of injury so 2 doctors said no need for surgery. I’ve been walking in my boot for abt a month now with the wedges. On the smallest wedge now. Doctor hasn’t mentioned rehab at all. Have been doing the calve raises.
Markopolo400
12/1/2020 11:44am
My surgeon gave me the option, said a lot of people choose to go non-op. I found a lot of videos on YT about it too. I went surgical as I am super active and want to get back as close as I can to "normal".

Definitely find a PT, and make sure you do every little exercise/movement they give to you. I've followed everything my PT has said to a T and I believe its made a huge difference.

Good luck with recovery! It's a super super shitty injury.

Oh and if you don't have one of these get one https://www.amazon.com/Original-EVENupTM-Shoe-Balancer-Leveler/dp/B074D… makes a huge difference walking it the boot, and your hips will thank you lol.
Mx391
12/1/2020 11:47am
My surgeon gave me the option, said a lot of people choose to go non-op. I found a lot of videos on YT about it too...
My surgeon gave me the option, said a lot of people choose to go non-op. I found a lot of videos on YT about it too. I went surgical as I am super active and want to get back as close as I can to "normal".

Definitely find a PT, and make sure you do every little exercise/movement they give to you. I've followed everything my PT has said to a T and I believe its made a huge difference.

Good luck with recovery! It's a super super shitty injury.

Oh and if you don't have one of these get one https://www.amazon.com/Original-EVENupTM-Shoe-Balancer-Leveler/dp/B074D… makes a huge difference walking it the boot, and your hips will thank you lol.
Want to chat on insta? Little easier @andrewwethington

The Shop

Premix
12/1/2020 11:55am
I had a complete rupture on mine middle of summer from an OJ. Freak deal, never came off the bike. Tore it completely off the heal. Rolled up to my calf. It’s now tied to my big toe. 3 months non weight bearing, 2 months into PT now, it’s better but if I’m on it for more than an hour it pretty painful. I’ll be going to a sports PT place after the first of the year. Probably be a year before it will be right. I’ll be glad to just be able to walk without a limp at this point.

alphado
12/1/2020 12:00pm
Take for ever to heal. I was in a boot for 6 months twice for mine.
Forty
12/1/2020 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2020 12:07pm
Premix wrote:
I had a complete rupture on mine middle of summer from an OJ. Freak deal, never came off the bike. Tore it completely off the heal...
I had a complete rupture on mine middle of summer from an OJ. Freak deal, never came off the bike. Tore it completely off the heal. Rolled up to my calf. It’s now tied to my big toe. 3 months non weight bearing, 2 months into PT now, it’s better but if I’m on it for more than an hour it pretty painful. I’ll be going to a sports PT place after the first of the year. Probably be a year before it will be right. I’ll be glad to just be able to walk without a limp at this point.

GotDamn!!!!!!

NFM
Forty
12/1/2020 12:10pm
I have a friend who popped his while we were playing basketball. Sounded like a gunshot. One year before he was good to go. It’s a major injury.
Markopolo400
12/1/2020 12:18pm
Premix, bummer you ripped it off the bone, from my understanding that is the more serious way to do it.

FWIW, mine ruptured in the middle of the tendon, 7cm up from the heel bone so my surgeon was able to just go in and sew the tendon back together.
Premix
12/1/2020 6:57pm
Premix, bummer you ripped it off the bone, from my understanding that is the more serious way to do it. FWIW, mine ruptured in the middle...
Premix, bummer you ripped it off the bone, from my understanding that is the more serious way to do it.

FWIW, mine ruptured in the middle of the tendon, 7cm up from the heel bone so my surgeon was able to just go in and sew the tendon back together.
Yea I’ve ruined both my ankles a couple of times. Was told that ligament was probably on its way out anyways. I got very lucky and got into one of the top podiatrist in the country. Was a solid repair. Not sure if I’ll ride again or not. What are your thoughts about riding again?
Markopolo400
12/2/2020 7:03am
I hear you on the Docs, I too am very fortunate that the twin cities has incredible health care.

I will 100% ride again, I am already chomping at the bit. But, I will think much harder before going for a 4th gear wide open jump on the 3rd lap of practice again lol.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
12/2/2020 5:01pm
What moto boots were you guys wearing when you tore it?
Markopolo400
12/2/2020 7:52pm
wrc777 wrote:
SG12s. In my case, I don’t think any boot would’ve helped me 😂
12/2/2020 8:28pm
wrc777 wrote:
SG12s. In my case, I don’t think any boot would’ve helped me 😂
Someone else on here had the same boots and injury. I had a big tear in mine. No surgery, pt and 6 days a week water therapy, 7 days a week doing stretch bands. Have to work it, to get blood flowing to heal. Bad injury.
Premix
12/3/2020 4:21am
wrc777 wrote:
SG12’s and I wouldn’t wear anything but them either not do I think another boot would have prevented it. Just a freak deal.
DA498
12/3/2020 5:52pm

This time in 2016 was in the same boat as you guys, full rupture. Gnarly injury for me, 58 at the time so don’t know if age hindered my recovery but to this day I can’t raise my body weight via toes no matter what. That leg is atrophied quite a bit as well. At the same time I fractured the other ankle. Needless to say I was in the dog house big time!

I’m thinking at about 9 months I started riding. I was sketched as hell and was maybe a little early for me but took it easy. Since then I’ve had a couple episodes that lured me into buying the fastway pegs with the heel support. I like them and they give a little peace of mind even though I know anything can happen.

Good luck with your recoveries and ride on guys.

Post a reply to: Oj=torn achiiles

The Latest