Oil question

12/7/2017 5:51pm
Assuming I’m using the recommended weight (10-40) and specification of oil (JASO MA2) and I follow the oil change interval recommendations in my owners manual, is there any compelling reason to pay up for synthetic oil?
|
rmoto003
12/7/2017 5:53pm
first off

quads are gay
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
12/7/2017 6:09pm
You can run a group 1 base oil in a quad..
bvm111
12/7/2017 6:12pm
All you are going to learn here is that Shell Rotella oil that you can buy for cheap at Walmart is the best oil available.

Oh and quads are gay, that’s lame gay not gay gay so don’t get your panties all in a wad!
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
12/7/2017 6:17pm
Assuming I’m using the recommended weight (10-40) and specification of oil (JASO MA2) and I follow the oil change interval recommendations in my owners manual, is...
Assuming I’m using the recommended weight (10-40) and specification of oil (JASO MA2) and I follow the oil change interval recommendations in my owners manual, is there any compelling reason to pay up for synthetic oil?
Yes, synthetic is better as it has higher grade stabilizers that can save your engine in extreme conditions. Oil is cheap (relatively speaking), engines are not. I've tried a bunch of oils. I've settled on Mobil 1 full synthetic 4T racing oil, change it AND your oil filter every 5-6 hours, and you will have nothing to worry about. There are other good full synthetic oils too - just use a good full synthetic and change it every 5-6 hours and all will be fine.

And yes, quads are gay.

The Shop

Brad460
Fantasy
807th
12/7/2017 6:20pm
bvm111 wrote:
All you are going to learn here is that Shell Rotella oil that you can buy for cheap at Walmart is the best oil available. Oh...
All you are going to learn here is that Shell Rotella oil that you can buy for cheap at Walmart is the best oil available.

Oh and quads are gay, that’s lame gay not gay gay so don’t get your panties all in a wad!
In my job I work directly with the oil manufacturers to qualify their oil as OEM recommended and many have told me the Rotella is a cheap group base oil and they wouldn’t run that shit in their lawnmower..they laugh when I tell them I run that stuff in almost everything I own! Laughing
Rhino
12/7/2017 6:35pm
Well for diesels, there is Rotella, Delo and Mobil 5w40s but for Synth, Rotella is the only one with JASO ratings for wet clutch use.

The regular Dino Rotella 15/40 also. In a bike, I dont know if if its worth it if you are swapping oil all the time.
TBH, most change their oil long before the additive package wears out.
12/7/2017 6:42pm
Lucas synthetic every 3-5 hours. They sponsor a series and I like how the bike shifts with Lucas. Bel Ray is a close second but isn’t stocked at my auto parts store.
12/8/2017 6:23am
TbonesPop wrote:
Yes, synthetic is better as it has higher grade stabilizers that can save your engine in extreme conditions. Oil is cheap (relatively speaking), engines are not...
Yes, synthetic is better as it has higher grade stabilizers that can save your engine in extreme conditions. Oil is cheap (relatively speaking), engines are not. I've tried a bunch of oils. I've settled on Mobil 1 full synthetic 4T racing oil, change it AND your oil filter every 5-6 hours, and you will have nothing to worry about. There are other good full synthetic oils too - just use a good full synthetic and change it every 5-6 hours and all will be fine.

And yes, quads are gay.
Good point. Considering I have 142 hours on the stock crank in my 2013 KX450F (and it still purs like a kitten) I guess I’ll just stick with the pricey Maxima Pro Plus that got me this far with 10 hour oil changes. Believe it or not, that’s still 5 hours earlier than the manual specifies!
RPM93
12/8/2017 6:29am
quad bro,
or should we say quadtard? just check your torque on your sprocket bolts and never bottom out your A-Kit or forget your factory ECU but Rotella is like a God Oil, fill her up and go ride the couch baby!
JK
12/8/2017 7:16am
RPM93 wrote:
quad bro, or should we say quadtard? just check your torque on your sprocket bolts and never bottom out your A-Kit or forget your factory ECU...
quad bro,
or should we say quadtard? just check your torque on your sprocket bolts and never bottom out your A-Kit or forget your factory ECU but Rotella is like a God Oil, fill her up and go ride the couch baby!
JK
Believe it or not, I actually learned the sprocket bolt lesson the hard way about 15 years ago. Fortunately, I worked for Yamaha at the time and was able to scrounge a rear wheel off of a preproduction bike that was being scrapped.
Squirtlege
12/8/2017 7:24am
I love when this guy posts. Instant torching every time Laughing
Giygas
Fantasy
1349th
12/8/2017 7:24am
Brad460 wrote:
In my job I work directly with the oil manufacturers to qualify their oil as OEM recommended and many have told me the Rotella is a...
In my job I work directly with the oil manufacturers to qualify their oil as OEM recommended and many have told me the Rotella is a cheap group base oil and they wouldn’t run that shit in their lawnmower..they laugh when I tell them I run that stuff in almost everything I own! Laughing
Don't fall for the Rotella meme, OP. Don't be a cheap ass; get decent oil. Synthetic is completely worth it.
Acidreamer
12/8/2017 7:34am
Nah quads are gay. Dont even run oil. That thing deserves to blow up
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
12/8/2017 10:47am
Perhaps Moto Tribology can post up in here and confirm what I'm saying, but your question deserves a complex answer.

Full-synthetic lubricants can actually be one of several things, and they are not all the same. That said, anything called "full synthetic" is a better product than a "conventional" oil in mostly one way - it lasts longer. (Measured in hours of operation.)
True, more expensive full synthetics (sometimes) have fancier additives and can withstand more extreme engine scenarios or have a stronger film strength, but when both oils are brand-new in your engine, they would work in much the same way - assuming you are talking about a JASO MA product, like you mentioned above. (By the way, JASO sets a standard for how an oil would work in a wet clutch environment.)
So, which should you choose? The short answer is based on how conscientious you are about changing your oil. Is your quad a garage queen that gets its oil changed every 2-3 hours? Run a conventional oil. Are you riding desert races over long, long distances or changing your oil after every riding season? Definitely go synthetic.
kkawboy14
12/8/2017 1:32pm
Assuming I’m using the recommended weight (10-40) and specification of oil (JASO MA2) and I follow the oil change interval recommendations in my owners manual, is...
No
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
12/8/2017 2:38pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
No
Perhaps I should have been more succinct also. Grinning
Csb146
12/8/2017 2:47pm
rmoto003 wrote:
first off

quads are gay
I don't know if it's just been a slow day for me, but damn this made me laugh so hard,
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
12/8/2017 7:26pm
It always cracks me up when people assume he rides a quad ! Laughing

mx317
12/9/2017 6:48am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2017 6:48am
Maybe he likes quad jumps on his motorcycle.
kkawboy14
12/9/2017 7:12am
kkawboy14 wrote:
No
Falcon wrote:
Perhaps I should have been more succinct also. Grinning
Smile

Post a reply to: Oil question

The Latest