Oil change intervals...manufacturer recomendations

Related:
Create New Tag

3/23/2018 12:10 PM

So I was looking through the Owner Manual for my 15 KX450...and noticed the recommended service intervals for oil and oil filter are 6 races or 15 hours. Holy Smokes!

I’ve always been a 3-5 hour oil change guy...

Is anyone actually changing the oil on their bikes that infrequently? Seems crazy to me...or are oils and bikes so good now that Im just wasting money changing the oils 3 or 4 times more often than needed?

Photo

|

3/23/2018 12:13 PM

I have always changed mine every 2-3 rides or so. If I am doing a hare scramble it gets changed after no matter what. 15 hours is crazy. I think they recommend top end replacement at the same time. I put about 100 hours on a stock top end and when I pulled it apart it could have gone longer.

|

Go Hawks!

3/23/2018 12:20 PM

I always change the oil on my YZ450 after every ride because the transmission and engine share the same oil. My Honda 450 the engine and trans oil were separate so I changed the trans oil after every ride and extended the engine oil to 2-3 rides.

|

3/23/2018 12:20 PM

Yes, a good moto oil will last that long with zero issues.

Not so good oil (or oil meant for other applications, ie. diesel engines) should be changed more frequently.

|

I can do anything, I'm an expert.
MotoTribology.com - Motorcycle Lubrication Education

3/23/2018 12:23 PM

I was looking in mine the other day as well and found it odd that per the manual I should be changing my oil and piston at the same time...

|

3/23/2018 12:28 PM

MotoTribology wrote:

Not so good oil (or oil meant for other applications, ie. diesel ...more

Do you have any oil trend analysis you can share?

I am curious what you have seen taking this data comparing "good moto oil" to "not so good moto oil"..Vs hours..etc.

What data do you use to condemn oil? Oxidation, nitration, TBN, TAN, wear metals?

I work with oil companies to qualify their oil for my companies product so I am more curious in the data then personal comments on what is good and not good.

|

3/23/2018 12:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2018 12:36 PM

Change your oil before and after every race.

Change your oil after 2 practice rides.

2 stroke/4 stroke/gear oil/ shared engine/tranny oil, doesnt' matter.

Oil is cheap insurance against catastrophic failure.

|

3/23/2018 12:36 PM

My first Kawi was a 2016 and that was the first thing I noticed as well. Although I believe them, I still do mine every 3 hours. Better safe than sorry.

|

3/23/2018 12:38 PM

The most common thing I see is viscosity loss from polymer shearing in non-moto oils before any of the usual properties reach condemning levels.

I don't have any UOAs on hand that I can share, but there are many UOAs on sites like BITOG showing rapid viscosity loss in oils that aren't so good for moto applications. They provide the necessary performance for the most part, but they need to be changed constantly due to viscosity loss from polymer shear.

A good moto oil will display little to no viscosity loss during the use interval. At the very least, they should stay in grade during the interval.

|

3/23/2018 12:44 PM

MotoTribology wrote:

The most common thing I see is viscosity loss from polymer shearing in non-moto oils before any of the usual properties reach ...more

Thanks- Makes sense on the viscosity loss..

What moto oil do you run?

|

3/23/2018 1:14 PM

MotoTribology wrote:

Not so good oil (or oil meant for other applications, ie. diesel ...more

What do you consider “good moto oil”, and-no disrespect-but how do you know?

I only ask, because I like riding dirt bikes...maintaning them? Not so much...so if I could change the oil less often and not cause any harm to my moto...that’s a huge plus for me.

|

3/23/2018 1:26 PM

Full synthetic oil and filter is $15. It takes 10 minutes. Why is this even a discussion?

|

3/23/2018 1:27 PM

2stroked wrote:

Change your oil before and after every race.

Change your oil after 2 practice rides.

2 stroke/4 stroke/gear oil/ shared ...more

This!!!

I get looked at as crazy, but I've never had an issue

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/23/2018 1:30 PM

I had this conversation with Karel Kramer one day. We talked about how he changed oil every 10-15 hours and most people do it way before it's recommended. Are we spending money we don't need to? Probably, but I'd rather spend $10 on oil a little too often vs rebuilding my motor

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/23/2018 1:46 PM

My YZ 250F manual says every 7.5. My goal is to do keep it around five hours. Seems reasonable.

|

3/23/2018 2:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/23/2018 2:06 PM

I use Shell Rotella T6 in my 15' KX450 and change it every 12 hours, along with the filter. No issues whatsoever. In fact, i just did a top end (at 87 hours) and everything looked perfect internally.

|

3/23/2018 2:02 PM

Frank wrote:

Full synthetic oil and filter is $15. It takes 10 minutes. Why is this even a discussion?

I'ts $61.49 full synthetic thats why its a discussion.

Bel ray Thumper Oil plus filters, only buying 1ltr of oil also, takes 1 plus to change correctly.

Yeah yeah tell me your super deal on parts or the shit oil you got on sale.

|

3/23/2018 3:03 PM

Frank wrote:

STLSharky wrote:

Bel ray Thumper Oil plus filters, only buying 1ltr of oil also, takes ...more

my 16 KX450 takes .9L at filter change... Maxima 530mx is about 15 bucks a liter and the filter is what 3.99 or 4.99 so yeah 15-20 bucks on filter change and 15 on oil change. I change oil every ride and filter every other ride... but I love my motorcycle and don't complain about the cost of owning and riding a modern MX bike.

Where in the hell are you spending 61.49 for a oil change... the dealer???

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

3/23/2018 3:07 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

I use Shell Rotella T6 in my 15' KX450 and change it every 12 hours, along with the filter. No issues whatsoever. In fact, i ...more

You may want to look into the formula changes rotella made...Rekluse turned me onto rotella years ago and then changed their mind when rotella changed their formula.

|

3/23/2018 3:08 PM

STLSharky wrote:

Sounds like you got a deal on a 4L jug. I can't get it for less than $21 a quart. I did by 8 qts. from a dealer going out of business for 11/qt. Husky recommends oil and filter at 10 hours, I was running Lucas full synthetic non-ester oil and changing it every 5 hours. It came out pretty dark at 5 hours.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

3/23/2018 3:16 PM

Frank wrote:

STLSharky wrote:

bvm111 wrote:

my 16 KX450 takes .9L at filter change... Maxima 530mx is about 15 bucks a liter and the filter is what 3.99 or 4.99 so yeah ...more

No I have a Husky 350 takes 1.1ltr so you have to buy 2 every time, if you buy the oil change kit
it costs what I said the recommended oil of Bel-RAy or Motorex is almost $20.00 a liter

|

3/23/2018 4:18 PM

Do the KXF's share engine/trans/clutch oil?

|

3/23/2018 4:25 PM

Ebs wrote:

Do the KXF's share engine/trans/clutch oil?

Yes

|

3/23/2018 5:00 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

I use Shell Rotella T6 in my 15' KX450 and change it every 12 hours, along with the filter. No issues whatsoever. In fact, i ...more

Titan1 wrote:

You may want to look into the formula changes rotella made...Rekluse turned me onto rotella years ago and then changed their ...more

That's mostly false because most can't read past the "Rotella" on the label.

Shell added different viscosities and blends for diesels and added a T5 line of 10w30 semi synth and 15w40 full synth and added these under the Rotella HD diesel engine oil label, and they have no Jaso Ratings at all for wet clutch use because they are mileage and extended drain oils for newer diesel vehicles calling for lighter viscosities and extended drain capabilties.

T4 15w40 Dino and T6 5w40 synth still have full Jaso DH2 and MA MA2 certs. I have 25 gallons sitting here bottled Feb 2018 and its the same ratings as before for wet clutch use.

|

3/23/2018 5:02 PM

Brad460 wrote:

Thanks- Makes sense on the viscosity loss..

What moto oil do you run?

Honestly, as lame as it sounds, I'd rather not say. If you visit the site in my signature, you'll see why I try not to talk about specific brands. Sometimes it is unavoidable, but if I can avoid it, I do my best to keep MotoTribology brand neutral for good reason.

|

3/23/2018 5:08 PM

Titan1 wrote:

What do you consider “good moto oil”, and-no disrespect-but how do you know?

I only ask, because I like riding dirt ...more

None taken.

Like I said in the post above, I'd rather not get into a brand discussion myself, but suffice to say, a lot of the moto specific brands do a good job at addressing the viscosity shearing issue common with automotive oils and the like. Beyond that, there are some other benefits some brands offer that others don't in terms of performance but they are generally pretty good for overall performance.

I know because it is what I do for a living. I formulate and do tech support for lubricants and my specialty is powersports and recreational marine oils and greases. I am with you on the maintaining part. I love riding, but I am just not good at keeping maintenance schedules. So I try to keep with good reputable brands that offer some assurance of what their products offer.

|

3/23/2018 5:53 PM

I always change my oil and piston every 15 hours. Sometimes when I change a tire I go ahead and throw a piston in her....just because.

|

3/23/2018 7:05 PM

I use full synthetic maxima. I change it when my oil is dark in the sight window. Thats usually every 2-3 rides. I do my filter every other oil change.

|

3/23/2018 9:02 PM

STLSharky wrote:

bvm111 wrote:

my 16 KX450 takes .9L at filter change... Maxima 530mx is about 15 bucks a liter and the filter is what 3.99 or 4.99 so yeah ...more

STLSharky wrote:

No I have a Husky 350 takes 1.1ltr so you have to buy 2 every time, if you buy the oil change kit
it costs what I said the ...more

Do you pour the other 0.9L down the drain?

|

3/23/2018 9:20 PM

How many of you are repacking your silencer on your 450 every 3 races like that manual states?

|