Ohlins TTX Flow opinions

KO93
Edited Date/Time 4/9/2018 9:51am
Anybody tried this shock? Is it significant improvement over revalved stock?
Tried to look up on internet but there is very limited reviews availible.
Planning to have it together with Ohlins cartridge kit for my RMZ250 2014. Ohlins front cartridge kit seems to be popular among KTM users... Has anyone here tried it on Suzuki?
|
mark_sxf
8/10/2017 2:50am
I have the new shock on my ktm 450, in combination with the cartridge kit.

The stock wp shock in with the correct spring is a pretty good shock, however the ohlins is gold, just like its color. I now have 25 hours on it and it never gived me a kick wrong, It wil track the ground perfect in acceleration or braking bumps.
Setup with just one compression clicker just works.
I think it has Some kind of speed needle in place of shims that is speed sensitve. I recomend the flow shock.

The cartridge are good when setup proberly. Feels more planted than the aer forks, I think it because the are a bit heavier and springs just have a better rider feedback/feeling to the ground.

I would like someday to try out a conevale in compresion to the cartridge/rfx ohlins fork.

Maybe ML512 can chim in here for some advice/feedback?
Also between the conevale/ohlins fork?

Lastander
8/10/2017 7:42am
Ive ridden about 25 hours on my TTX flow shock, i weigh 70 kg and i have it set up for about 75-80kg and i bottom it out almost every lap so its a bit on the soft side i guess, no problems with it so far but i know nothing about suspension setup though
e-wa
8/10/2017 9:38am
Have one on my 16 450XCF, it's the cats meow. Works fantastic for my fast high speed whooped out desert trails.

The Shop

Bramlett321
8/10/2017 10:27am
KO93 wrote:
Anybody tried this shock? Is it significant improvement over revalved stock? Tried to look up on internet but there is very limited reviews availible. Planning to...
Anybody tried this shock? Is it significant improvement over revalved stock?
Tried to look up on internet but there is very limited reviews availible.
Planning to have it together with Ohlins cartridge kit for my RMZ250 2014. Ohlins front cartridge kit seems to be popular among KTM users... Has anyone here tried it on Suzuki?
We run the cone valves on all our KTM bikes, the 48's not the big 52's and they're amazing. We've also had very good luck with the cartridge forks as well. Get em set to your liking and I don't think you'll be unhappy period.
arvid
8/10/2017 1:37pm
Lastander wrote:
Ive ridden about 25 hours on my TTX flow shock, i weigh 70 kg and i have it set up for about 75-80kg and i bottom...
Ive ridden about 25 hours on my TTX flow shock, i weigh 70 kg and i have it set up for about 75-80kg and i bottom it out almost every lap so its a bit on the soft side i guess, no problems with it so far but i know nothing about suspension setup though
The TTX flow shock doesn't work yet on crf 450 - 2017 im on KYB a-kit it's really goodSmile i'm not saying öhlins is bad but it doesn't work on the 17 crf 450 yet
1HRCrider
8/10/2017 2:21pm
When are the results of the after market suspension and article going to be available to read?
RadekV
4/5/2018 1:36am
I have been riding Ohlins front cartridges and Ohlins Flow shock for over 1 year on my Husqvarna 350 2017. Cartridges are good but the shock is a mistake. It is way to soft and even after changing shimm setup several time we still cannot make it working nearly as good as revalved WP shock.
aees
4/5/2018 2:46am
RadekV wrote:
I have been riding Ohlins front cartridges and Ohlins Flow shock for over 1 year on my Husqvarna 350 2017. Cartridges are good but the shock...
I have been riding Ohlins front cartridges and Ohlins Flow shock for over 1 year on my Husqvarna 350 2017. Cartridges are good but the shock is a mistake. It is way to soft and even after changing shimm setup several time we still cannot make it working nearly as good as revalved WP shock.
How much do you weigh, and what springs front and rear and sag are you on?
RadekV
4/5/2018 4:09am
RadekV wrote:
I have been riding Ohlins front cartridges and Ohlins Flow shock for over 1 year on my Husqvarna 350 2017. Cartridges are good but the shock...
aees wrote:
my riding weight is 94kg incl. gear, rear sag 35mm / 105mm, shock spring 52Nm, front 4.5 / 4.7. I have tried 44,48 and finally 52Nm shock spring. I am going to have the shim setup changed once again this weekend so I will let you know the rebound and compression setup.
aees
4/5/2018 4:39am
RadekV wrote:
aees wrote:
RadekV wrote:
my riding weight is 94kg incl. gear, rear sag 35mm / 105mm, shock spring 52Nm, front 4.5 / 4.7. I have tried 44,48 and finally 52Nm...
my riding weight is 94kg incl. gear, rear sag 35mm / 105mm, shock spring 52Nm, front 4.5 / 4.7. I have tried 44,48 and finally 52Nm shock spring. I am going to have the shim setup changed once again this weekend so I will let you know the rebound and compression setup.
Im on a 17 Ohlins on my 450 SXF. 88kg. I run a 48 with 10mm preload. Gona try a 46 this weekend, 13mm preload. Got massive armpump with the 48nm and 105 sag. I run 4.8 with 410 oil in my CV fork. 105 sag.

Ohlins needs a bit more preload than WP. ~10mm. Ohlins is typically 1 spring rate above WP CV in forks.

Dont get how you can run 52 with that soft fork springs, you must get 3-5mm preload maximum on shock? The bike for me would be unbelievably unbalanced with that setup.

I tried a 50 and 52 with WP revalved shock with 6 & 12mm lowering link and 4.8 and 420 (even with 4.9 it was unbalanced, bit less oil).

Flow Shock work fine i think.
rockyuno
4/5/2018 11:03am Edited Date/Time 4/5/2018 11:04am
Try to find the old version of the TTX (non flow), it's better as it has more clicks to play.

I rode a TTX on my 2014 RMZ450 for a year and I think it was good, If I were in that position again (as you), I would be thinking in trying first with Race Tech Gold Valve.

.... and save money to put Gold Valves in forks too.

RadekV
4/6/2018 4:07am
aees wrote:
RadekV wrote:
my riding weight is 94kg incl. gear, rear sag 35mm / 105mm, shock spring 52Nm, front 4.5 / 4.7. I have tried 44,48 and finally 52Nm...
aees wrote:
Im on a 17 Ohlins on my 450 SXF. 88kg. I run a 48 with 10mm preload. Gona try a 46 this weekend, 13mm preload. Got...
Im on a 17 Ohlins on my 450 SXF. 88kg. I run a 48 with 10mm preload. Gona try a 46 this weekend, 13mm preload. Got massive armpump with the 48nm and 105 sag. I run 4.8 with 410 oil in my CV fork. 105 sag.

Ohlins needs a bit more preload than WP. ~10mm. Ohlins is typically 1 spring rate above WP CV in forks.

Dont get how you can run 52 with that soft fork springs, you must get 3-5mm preload maximum on shock? The bike for me would be unbelievably unbalanced with that setup.

I tried a 50 and 52 with WP revalved shock with 6 & 12mm lowering link and 4.8 and 420 (even with 4.9 it was unbalanced, bit less oil).

Flow Shock work fine i think.
Maybe I forgot to mention that it is Husqvarna FE350 - enduro bike, not motocross bike. It has little bit different geometry and internal setups of both forks and shock is different to FC models. Also the forks are 1cm shorter compare to motocross.

The bike doesn't feel unbalanced as I believe that Ohlins just messed up recommended spring rates. Also when I have bought 2017 model it came with WP 44Nm spring and now I've got 2018 bike (which is more or less the same except some colour changes and switch to Magura brake suplier) and it came with 48Nm stock spring.

My current weight is 96 incl gear end the bike doesn't feel unbalanced with 52 spring. My preload is 11mm shock spring, static sag 35mm , rider sag 104mm. I have a friend riding CV and TRAX - similar weight and 51Nm spring... TRAX feels better, more stable and much easier to go through whoops. My brother rides WP revalved suspension, same weight, same spring the shock feels also better then Ohlins flow.

We compete in enduro sprints and crosscountry races (GNCC) and here in Europe it is little bit more technical and as fast as in USA so it is little bit more of riding on the front wheel Smile

RadekV
4/6/2018 4:09am
rockyuno wrote:
Try to find the old version of the TTX (non flow), it's better as it has more clicks to play. I rode a TTX on my...
Try to find the old version of the TTX (non flow), it's better as it has more clicks to play.

I rode a TTX on my 2014 RMZ450 for a year and I think it was good, If I were in that position again (as you), I would be thinking in trying first with Race Tech Gold Valve.

Yeah, I know it is better but it is difficult to find one here. I will probably switch to CVs and TRAX for next season...
aees
4/8/2018 12:58pm
mark_sxf wrote:
I have the new shock on my ktm 450, in combination with the cartridge kit. The stock wp shock in with the correct spring is a...
I have the new shock on my ktm 450, in combination with the cartridge kit.

The stock wp shock in with the correct spring is a pretty good shock, however the ohlins is gold, just like its color. I now have 25 hours on it and it never gived me a kick wrong, It wil track the ground perfect in acceleration or braking bumps.
Setup with just one compression clicker just works.
I think it has Some kind of speed needle in place of shims that is speed sensitve. I recomend the flow shock.

The cartridge are good when setup proberly. Feels more planted than the aer forks, I think it because the are a bit heavier and springs just have a better rider feedback/feeling to the ground.

I would like someday to try out a conevale in compresion to the cartridge/rfx ohlins fork.

Maybe ML512 can chim in here for some advice/feedback?
Also between the conevale/ohlins fork?

What weight and springs front and rear are you on? Sag?
Tumic
4/8/2018 2:25pm
I friend of mine had one on his -17 RMZ450 with a spring for a 100kg rider. I have ridden Öhlins TTX on my bikes for 8 years now but i was not impressed with the flow shock. WAY to soft, felt like a enduro shock and the spring was for a rider that weight 20kgs more than me..
4/9/2018 12:14am
I'm still waiting for answer for my question to Michael L. where the difference lies between the öhlins ttx and the showa BFRC ?
Seems they have the same problem with blowing through the stroke in certain situations.
ob
4/9/2018 7:39am
rockyuno wrote:
Try to find the old version of the TTX (non flow), it's better as it has more clicks to play. I rode a TTX on my...

RadekV wrote:
Yeah, I know it is better but it is difficult to find one here. I will probably switch to CVs and TRAX for next season...
That old ohlins TTX was so good. Don't know why even changed it? probably profit margin stuff. It seems the newer stock shock can be made to work really well nowadays.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
4/9/2018 7:52am
#434 wrote:
I'm still waiting for answer for my question to Michael L. where the difference lies between the öhlins ttx and the showa BFRC ? Seems they...
I'm still waiting for answer for my question to Michael L. where the difference lies between the öhlins ttx and the showa BFRC ?
Seems they have the same problem with blowing through the stroke in certain situations.
Both are twin tube design but the BFRC has a solid piston, meaning the oil only gets to the backside by going through the passage between the twin tubes to end up on the backside of the piston during its stroke, then has to return that same way.

Ohlins still has ports and shims on their pistons, so some oil is pushed through that piston to create damping while the remaining oil can pass through the twin tube sections.
4/9/2018 9:51am
#434 wrote:
I'm still waiting for answer for my question to Michael L. where the difference lies between the öhlins ttx and the showa BFRC ? Seems they...
ML512 wrote:
Both are twin tube design but the BFRC has a solid piston, meaning the oil only gets to the backside by going through the passage between...
Both are twin tube design but the BFRC has a solid piston, meaning the oil only gets to the backside by going through the passage between the twin tubes to end up on the backside of the piston during its stroke, then has to return that same way.

Ohlins still has ports and shims on their pistons, so some oil is pushed through that piston to create damping while the remaining oil can pass through the twin tube sections.
Thanks Michael! So the TTX Flow is not the original TTX design with solid piston. Intersting! Looks like Öhlins couldn't get the original design to work for motocross.

Post a reply to: Ohlins TTX Flow opinions

The Latest