Ohlins

Panic_Rev
11/16/2018 8:12am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2018 12:52pm
|
dcg141
11/16/2018 10:56am
Wow..they bought Marzocchi and closed them down. Not saying that is their plan but it happened. Tenneco owns Monroe, Rancho and several other automotive brands.
BikeGuy321
11/16/2018 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2018 3:42pm
dcg141 wrote:
Wow..they bought Marzocchi and closed them down. Not saying that is their plan but it happened. Tenneco owns Monroe, Rancho and several other automotive brands.
I could be wrong but I think Marzocchi closing had more to do with Husqvarna Italy's decline and sale to KTM. Marzocchi never lost much popularity in the mountain bike scene, so losing Husky to WP IMO, was what did them in.

Also, Marzocchi is back in business they got bought by Fox Racing Shocks.
Taylor415
11/16/2018 3:59pm
Our contact at Ohlins’ US headquarters told us “…everything will carry on as it has been. Racing is still our company’s main focus, and Tenneco will not be interfering in that. They see a lot of value from the R&D side of racing, which is reassuring to hear. From the (mountain bike) side, it will just mean more resources and large scale manufacturing knowledge that we can use.”

Which sounds encouraging, as does the lack of plans for their HQ. For now, there are no plans to move or change their North American headquarters located near Asheville, NC.
wfo4ever
11/16/2018 11:13pm
How many times have you heard of a company that bought out another company. It happens all of the time in the business world. Often the company that is being sold is already having problems and is struggling. Then their is always the bs or fake news press release that always says the same thing every time which is "Everything will carry on as it has been in the past and nothing will change to the company or the employees that was bought out". Then either right away or in a very short time period everything changes for the company that was sold. All or most of of the employees from the sold company will loose their jobs, usually the top management and highest paid employees are the first to go, and then the rest of the workers will be fired also. The HQ and other offices will be just closed down and consolidated into the new owners facilities. This happens all the time in the business world. The owner or owners of the company that was bought out just want to cash out and be done with it. Once they have decided to sell their company they could care less what happens to their company or employees. It is common knowledge that the motorcycle industry is not doing well. Ohlins is just one more of many companies in the industry that have already sold out or just closed.

The Shop

Talisker
11/17/2018 1:30am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2018 1:33am
wfo4ever wrote:
How many times have you heard of a company that bought out another company. It happens all of the time in the business world. Often the...
How many times have you heard of a company that bought out another company. It happens all of the time in the business world. Often the company that is being sold is already having problems and is struggling. Then their is always the bs or fake news press release that always says the same thing every time which is "Everything will carry on as it has been in the past and nothing will change to the company or the employees that was bought out". Then either right away or in a very short time period everything changes for the company that was sold. All or most of of the employees from the sold company will loose their jobs, usually the top management and highest paid employees are the first to go, and then the rest of the workers will be fired also. The HQ and other offices will be just closed down and consolidated into the new owners facilities. This happens all the time in the business world. The owner or owners of the company that was bought out just want to cash out and be done with it. Once they have decided to sell their company they could care less what happens to their company or employees. It is common knowledge that the motorcycle industry is not doing well. Ohlins is just one more of many companies in the industry that have already sold out or just closed.
x2..... Could not have said it better myself. This is really how the world works on a corporate level Globally. Motorcycle sales are in the toilet and they keep getting worst and worst. Its like watching a slow accident right in front of your face.
You see whats happening, you know whats happening, but you deny it and say everything is fine. Everything starts at the source and makes its way outward. I really think this the start of things to come. Somethings just aren't as profitable as they once were. People bashed on Suzuki, but don't be surprised when your current brand is still selling a 10 year old bike... IMO of course.
Bearuno
11/17/2018 5:18am
I think Ohlins and Tenneco had a 'partnership' of some sorts way back in the late 90s.

So, it seems logical that if Kenth wants to back off a bit, he'd sell to Tenneco.

He did the sale of a large part of Ohlins to Yamaha in the mid 80s, and then the re-aquistion of control to him in 2007(?)

There's a pretty good chance that Ohlins will function much as they did during the hook up with Yamaha : be able to work as themselves.

I don't see any need for doom and gloom. Kenth's been doing Ohlins since the mid 70s, that's a long time, and, he can / did what he pleases. Good on him.
wfo4ever
11/17/2018 7:24am
I know that one of my old riding buddies bought a shock for his KTM direct from Ohlins US a few years ago. The shock retail price was $1,499.00 and they sold it to him for $400.00. It was brand new in the box and they even put on the correct spring for his weight. That is a very good profit margin for Ohlins. They were always very high priced and the average rider would just leave his suspension stock or just get a revalve. I don't even recall ever seeing any of the race teams in the US racing SX and MX using Ohlins suspension. I remember seeing their stuff being used in Moto GP and other road race series.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
11/17/2018 7:44am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2018 7:50am
wfo4ever wrote:
I know that one of my old riding buddies bought a shock for his KTM direct from Ohlins US a few years ago. The shock retail...
I know that one of my old riding buddies bought a shock for his KTM direct from Ohlins US a few years ago. The shock retail price was $1,499.00 and they sold it to him for $400.00. It was brand new in the box and they even put on the correct spring for his weight. That is a very good profit margin for Ohlins. They were always very high priced and the average rider would just leave his suspension stock or just get a revalve. I don't even recall ever seeing any of the race teams in the US racing SX and MX using Ohlins suspension. I remember seeing their stuff being used in Moto GP and other road race series.
I know there's more but:

Trader's racing this year.

MotoConcepts 2013

Langston Motorsports 2012

11/17/2018 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2018 12:52pm
wfo4ever wrote:
I know that one of my old riding buddies bought a shock for his KTM direct from Ohlins US a few years ago. The shock retail...
I remember a lot of guys in the 80s running ohlins. Every moto gp premier class team runs ohlins and has its own ohlins tech. Just saw a story about a double leg amputee who has a special downhill skiing set up. Was surprised to see it has an ohlins shock on it.
BikeGuy321
11/17/2018 5:44pm
Ohlins are in the proccess of becoming a big player in the mountain bike industry too. Specialized bicycles has been puting them on stock bikes for a few years now. Also, they support some high profile racers in Downhill and Cross Country.

Here's an article on them by Red Bull.
https://www.redbull.com/se-en/future-of-MTB-suspension-with-ohlins-bike

Post a reply to: Ohlins

The Latest