Ohlins

wreckers
Edited Date/Time 9/14/2018 7:09pm
Has anyone tried the new rxf fork? They look great are pretty reasonably priced. Do they perform?

I have heard that changes made need to go by a ohlins specific "chart". Does ohlins have good customer support? Will they supply the valve stack charts? Are they nitrogen charged cc forks?

Thanks
|
BR8ES
9/6/2018 4:42pm
I like my 2018 RFX fork on my 17 250sx. Not sure on the other questions however. Worth it to me.
9/7/2018 7:21am
I like 'em. But I work there so I'm partial. I used to work at Fox shocks as well. But Öhlins are on a different level than any other product, re-valved, or whatever. Nobody calls back unhappy!
Turbojez
9/7/2018 7:27am
I used them on KTM and my RM. The older ones though, with DLC coated sliders. The new ones come with TiN gold lower tubes. Very big improvement, awesome forks.
wreckers
9/7/2018 9:33am
I like 'em. But I work there so I'm partial. I used to work at Fox shocks as well. But Öhlins are on a different level...
I like 'em. But I work there so I'm partial. I used to work at Fox shocks as well. But Öhlins are on a different level than any other product, re-valved, or whatever. Nobody calls back unhappy!
Can you explain why they are on a different level? Does ohlins supply stacks if requested?

The Shop

chipj
9/7/2018 10:06am
IMO the Ohlins setups I've run were all super plush but ultimately too soft for MX. The valve stacks they have as options are all either A B or C, so it's not really tailored to you specifically.
9/7/2018 10:33am
chipj wrote:
IMO the Ohlins setups I've run were all super plush but ultimately too soft for MX. The valve stacks they have as options are all either...
IMO the Ohlins setups I've run were all super plush but ultimately too soft for MX. The valve stacks they have as options are all either A B or C, so it's not really tailored to you specifically.
I've never heard of only "A B or C" valving. Maybe you're talking about A, B or C level riders? There are 'shim stacks' inside the forks that can be changed if you want something different.
Öhlins suspension products are designed, tested & developed for the specific motorcycle. Specific springs are selected to suit the rider weight & riding style.
Too soft for MX?

wreckers
9/7/2018 11:50am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 11:52am
If I understand right it's a 2 chamber closed cartridge with 12mm damping rod and a nitrogen bladder? They don't have much tech specs on the website...

What does a b and c mean? Like classes? Can it handle high speed offroad rock hits? Like to set them up for desert. I want a safe fork with a lot of damping and heard that if any changes are to be made to ohlins forks they have a chart or something. I was wondering if this "chart" is available to the customer?
9/7/2018 12:01pm
wreckers wrote:
If I understand right it's a 2 chamber closed cartridge with 12mm damping rod and a nitrogen bladder? They don't have much tech specs on the...
If I understand right it's a 2 chamber closed cartridge with 12mm damping rod and a nitrogen bladder? They don't have much tech specs on the website...

What does a b and c mean? Like classes? Can it handle high speed offroad rock hits? Like to set them up for desert. I want a safe fork with a lot of damping and heard that if any changes are to be made to ohlins forks they have a chart or something. I was wondering if this "chart" is available to the customer?
Hello Wreckers. Please call here & speak with Tim at (828)692-4525 ext. 319. He is one of our off-road suspension technicians & is also an of-road rider.
9/7/2018 4:52pm
I was also inquiring about Ohlins on a Euro Bike forum. I was sent a PM from a guy that had experience with them. He stated they are pricey to service and the newer stuff is cheaply made. He recommended Dal Saggio sphere kit. Idk what to believe but the guy was a stranger and said avoid Ohlins! Who knows???‍♂️
Good luck in your search.

Ghost
BR8ES
9/7/2018 4:55pm
there is nothing cheaply made about Ohlins.
xr70
9/7/2018 5:32pm
I love Ohlins on my street bike , there is nothing better but on dirt the shock is good but the forks never really impressed me that much I think that the KYB SSS forks are better.
kdawson252
9/7/2018 7:36pm
I have also been thinking about these forks. I wish there was a way to test them out before you buy them. Honestly I wish you could test ride various suspension setups before you dropped money on them. It would be awesome to get the factory rider treatment when it comes to suspension.
wfo4ever
9/7/2018 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 8:33pm
chipj wrote:
IMO the Ohlins setups I've run were all super plush but ultimately too soft for MX. The valve stacks they have as options are all either...
I've never heard of only "A B or C" valving. Maybe you're talking about A, B or C level riders? There [i]are[/i] 'shim stacks' inside the...
I've never heard of only "A B or C" valving. Maybe you're talking about A, B or C level riders? There are 'shim stacks' inside the forks that can be changed if you want something different.
Öhlins suspension products are designed, tested & developed for the specific motorcycle. Specific springs are selected to suit the rider weight & riding style.
Too soft for MX?

Are any factory teams, privateer teams or riders going to be using Ohlins in SX or AMA MX for 2019? What does Ohlins offer for a 2015 Honda CRF-230F?
endurox
9/8/2018 7:09am
As an Ohlins dealer, the dealer support is great. One can get a real live person for tech support on the phone. Need parts for the Ohlins that came stock on a 1978 Husqvarna 390CR, no problem.
ccullins76
9/8/2018 7:34am
We have a set of Ohlins forks on my son's Beta. He races pro Endurocross and loves them! Nice and plush through the rough stuff and holds up really well on the big flat landings they have to do. He also really likes them for MX.

drt410
9/8/2018 10:51am
Since they are gold is that Kashima coating. They have black lower fork legs too which one is that? If its not Kashima what is it that would make it gold? They dont mention what it is on the website and Id imagine if its Kashima theyd say it.
Lynch
9/8/2018 10:53am
I was also inquiring about Ohlins on a Euro Bike forum. I was sent a PM from a guy that had experience with them. He stated...
I was also inquiring about Ohlins on a Euro Bike forum. I was sent a PM from a guy that had experience with them. He stated they are pricey to service and the newer stuff is cheaply made. He recommended Dal Saggio sphere kit. Idk what to believe but the guy was a stranger and said avoid Ohlins! Who knows???‍♂️

Ghost
Don't listen to that guy Ghost, Öhlins is top notch.
9/8/2018 10:59am
drt410 wrote:
Since they are gold is that Kashima coating. They have black lower fork legs too which one is that? If its not Kashima what is it...
Since they are gold is that Kashima coating. They have black lower fork legs too which one is that? If its not Kashima what is it that would make it gold? They dont mention what it is on the website and Id imagine if its Kashima theyd say it.
It's not kashima on the outer tubes.

Black (older) lowers are DLC
New stuff got gold Ti-nitrate lowers
9/8/2018 11:12am
I like 'em. But I work there so I'm partial. I used to work at Fox shocks as well. But Öhlins are on a different level...
Same setup I have been running for a long time, ohlins on a ‘12...haven’t found anything better yet
9/8/2018 6:53pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 6:54pm
I was also inquiring about Ohlins on a Euro Bike forum. I was sent a PM from a guy that had experience with them. He stated...

Ghost
Lynch wrote:
I never personally said they were cheap. I simply stated some one(complete stranger) advised me to not buy Ohlins for multiple reasons.
I’ve always been told they are great other then that guy. WTH do I know.

Ghost
Lynch
9/8/2018 9:43pm

Ghost
Lynch wrote:
I never personally said they were cheap. I simply stated some one(complete stranger) advised me to not buy Ohlins for multiple reasons. I’ve always been told...
I never personally said they were cheap. I simply stated some one(complete stranger) advised me to not buy Ohlins for multiple reasons.
I’ve always been told they are great other then that guy. WTH do I know.

Ghost
Sorry, I did not mean it like that either, I meant that you should not listen to the random guy saying that Öhlins have lost quality and are expensive to service.
make1go
9/8/2018 9:50pm
kdawson252 wrote:
I have also been thinking about these forks. I wish there was a way to test them out before you buy them. Honestly I wish you...
I have also been thinking about these forks. I wish there was a way to test them out before you buy them. Honestly I wish you could test ride various suspension setups before you dropped money on them. It would be awesome to get the factory rider treatment when it comes to suspension.
shhhhh dont mention the suspension shootout...shhhhh....

zuk338
9/9/2018 1:09pm
Major improvement on my 14’ Rmz 450, though that was not tough to do over the sff setup. I love these forks, and shock. I can blitz anything I want without hesitation. Whoever said they are too soft and too plush for mx... I don’t know what you are talking about. I have yet to bottom these forks and being a bigger dude I give them a beating. Unreal performance over stock, I could not be happier with them.

drt410
9/9/2018 1:19pm
drt410 wrote:
Since they are gold is that Kashima coating. They have black lower fork legs too which one is that? If its not Kashima what is it...

So how are the uppers gold?
9/10/2018 5:09am

Ghost
When they say "avoid Öhlins" you know they have their own agenda. Buyer beware!
9/10/2018 5:57am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2018 5:58am
drt410 wrote:
The gold colored coating on the inner tubes of the new Öhlins off-road forks is Titanium Nitride. From Google: Titanium Nitride is an extremely hard, inert, thin film coating that is applied primarily to precision metal parts. Titanium Nitride (TiN) is the most common PVD hard coating in use today. TiN has an ideal combination of hardness, toughness, adhesion and inertness
9/10/2018 6:08am
drt410 wrote:

drt410 wrote:
The upper tubes are anodized aluminum
9/10/2018 7:13am
drt410 wrote:
Sorry.. missed the important part, yeddie answered.

Simple anodizing, just as your regular oem forks..

If you wanna be cool Whistling you do this:
BobPA
9/10/2018 7:17am
BR8ES wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/08/285996/s1200_20180908_162808.jpg[/img]

My jealousy meter is currently maxed.

Post a reply to: Ohlins

The Latest